Cooper Park racetrack plans take next step | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Plans for the proposed Cooper Park racetrack were filed with Columbus zoning officials today, another necessary step before the Columbus City Council will take up the project and dive into a heated debate.
Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Sep 1, 2010
SomeoneWhoKnowsB etter

Pickerington, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2010

It's going to have a hotel and restaurants too? And who is going to stay/eat there? It's in the middle of a low-rent industrial zone. Sure, if you cross the freeway there are ghettos...uh...I mean residential areas, but they're not going to frequent those restaurants unless they're cheap, fast food places. And nobody in their right mind is going to voluntarily stay in a hotel there when there are cleaner and safer locations just a mile away.
Dr Quackula

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2010

I hope the city approves this project! The city could use the jobs and the taxes that will come from it. I find it interesting that the people quoted in the story who are against it are rich ( ever seen what a condo in the Waterford Towers goes for?) and German Village (check the housing prices there). The complex is far away from these areas and 71 south is a sound barrier. Columbus Motor Speedway is closer to the area yet no one complains about it in terms of sound and they run every weekend during their season.
Brent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2010

I am almost positive this is going to happen. I have yet to see any evidence of sound protection for Mt Calvary. I wish Arshot would consider sound barriers for Mt Calvary, and even consider donating funding sound barriers along I 70 for Mt Calvary. I do not dispute noise levels at Mt Calvary already reach unacceptable levels, but that is not a valid excuse to add more noise. That would be like saying since a '57 Chevy had a side window busted, it would be fine to smash in the front windshield as well. Is it too much to hope the new facility might check funeral service times each day and adjust activities accordingly??? If there was some certainty that noisy activities would be held only after cemetery hours, I would be more inclined to accept the new park...
SomeoneWhoKnowsB etter

Pickerington, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2010

Dr Quackula wrote:
The complex is far away from these areas and 71 south is a sound barrier. Columbus Motor Speedway is closer to the area yet no one complains about it in terms of sound and they run every weekend during their season.
Cooper Park is less than 1 mile from Scioto Audubon Park, as the bird flies (or soundwaves). It's about 1.2 miles from the new developments that have gone up in the brewery district, and less than 1.5 miles from German Village. Anyone who is familiar with these race tracks knows that you can hear the sounds of racing from miles around.

As to your comment about CMS being closer, think again. It's nearly 5 miles from the southeastern edge of German Village. I guess those geography classes in school didn't pay off, eh?
TBone

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2010

Go ahead and build it. Then after 10 years and only a handful of "Nascar" races later they will expect the people of Columbus to bail them out. Just like the poor broke Blue Jackets.:(
Just Sayin it

Marysville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2010

Judged:

SomeoneWhoKnowsBetter wrote:
<quoted text>
Cooper Park is less than 1 mile from Scioto Audubon Park, as the bird flies (or soundwaves). It's about 1.2 miles from the new developments that have gone up in the brewery district, and less than 1.5 miles from German Village. Anyone who is familiar with these race tracks knows that you can hear the sounds of racing from miles around.
As to your comment about CMS being closer, think again. It's nearly 5 miles from the southeastern edge of German Village. I guess those geography classes in school didn't pay off, eh?
So are any of these race tracks that you're familiar with completely surrounded by a 35 foot tall sound absorbing wall? Cooper Park will be......
Brent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2010

Just Sayin it wrote:
<quoted text>
So are any of these race tracks that you're familiar with completely surrounded by a 35 foot tall sound absorbing wall? Cooper Park will be......
WRONG!!!!!
This is not true. The plans I have seen have no provision for a sound barrier wall facing Mt Calvary Cemetery. If I am incorrect and the plans have changed to protect Mt Calvary Cemetery with a sound barrier wall I would love to see those plans! There is no doubt Cooper needs something to be there generating revenue. If I really thought noisy activity would only happen there after cemetery hours, it would go a long way in changing my thinking about the plans.
Just Sayin it

Marysville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2010

Brent wrote:
<quoted text> WRONG!!!!!
This is not true. The plans I have seen have no provision for a sound barrier wall facing Mt Calvary Cemetery. If I am incorrect and the plans have changed to protect Mt Calvary Cemetery with a sound barrier wall I would love to see those plans! There is no doubt Cooper needs something to be there generating revenue. If I really thought noisy activity would only happen there after cemetery hours, it would go a long way in changing my thinking about the plans.
No... not so wrong. You apparently are looking at incorrect plans. The entire track portion will be encircled with the sound barrier which will obviously minimize racing sounds in all directions, including Mt. Calvary. The developer has made that very clear.
bosco

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2010

I think the majority of the population if Mt Calvary will not hear a thing.
Brent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2010

Just Sayin it wrote:
<quoted text>
No... not so wrong. You apparently are looking at incorrect plans. The entire track portion will be encircled with the sound barrier which will obviously minimize racing sounds in all directions, including Mt. Calvary. The developer has made that very clear.
Send me a link to the new plans! The plans I saw only went along the other sides...Some plot owners in Green Lawn also asked who would pay to keep graffiti of the 35' wall by their parents graves...
Just Sayin it

Marysville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2010

Brent wrote:
<quoted text>
Send me a link to the new plans! The plans I saw only went along the other sides...Some plot owners in Green Lawn also asked who would pay to keep graffiti of the 35' wall by their parents graves...
I'm not the one who claimed to see their plans.... you are.

Try looking at and through the information on their website.

www.cooperparkcomplex.com
OnTime

Lewis Center, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2010

Gunshots on the west side always wake me up down here in German Village. I couldnt even sleep down here on Whittier when that shootout was going on over on Central Ave.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••