Top-fives for Kahne, Busch bring promise of better things

Oct 12, 2008 Full story: www.nascar.com 17

For Kasey Kahne and Kurt Busch , for one night at least, it was like old times. Better times.

Full Story

Since: Oct 07

Rome, OH

#1 Oct 12, 2008
Such a shame Kasey Kahne didn't make the chase.
KaseyKahne_oHyEa

United States

#2 Oct 14, 2008
i completely agree. in the beginning i really thought he would...he really deserves it! but i'll keep rooting and supporting him and hope it comes through for him next season!! despite what other people say...
Sara

AOL

#3 Oct 14, 2008
he would be in the chase if that wreck with Casey Mears at Bristol hadn't have happened
CDJ

United States

#4 Oct 15, 2008
This article is BS, GEM is switching manufacturers next season. Kahne will sink like a rock, if you think last season was bad wait til next season. Unless he leaves with Ray Evernham and goes to a top notch team Kasey's chances of having a decent season are just a dream. Rumors are surfacing that Gillet wants to go to Toyota, how many teams do they already have in cup? JGR is the main team in cup and Gillet would be now way near the top of the totem pole. Do you honestly think they are gonna get top notch equipment? The other teams don't seem to have the same advantage as JGR, Kasey better get out while he still can. Oh while I am at it, Kenny Francis will be a free agent at the end of the season. I don't think he has resigned his contract. HMMM things aren't looking good.

“Headline? No, I'm wrinkle free”

Since: Jun 08

The place with a space shuttle

#5 Oct 15, 2008
I thought the Toyota rumors were over? I didn't know it was still going around that they might switch.

Just curious, CDJ, do you think GEM will do worse ONLY if they switch to Toyota? Or, in your opinion, are they doomed no matter what manufacturer they have?

I do agree, however-even though I think Ray Evernham is awesome-that Kasey does need to get out of there as soon as possible. I've said that since 2006. But according to Kasey, it's not going to happen.
CDJ

New Albany, IN

#6 Oct 16, 2008
Go to Jayski and you can find the story posted on Ray talking about the teams and Gillet. This was just posted this morning. I have heard the other stuff a couple days ago. My feelings are with Toyota their "main" team is JGR right now with Kyle Busch. Yes Kasey is very marketable but he is not as aggressive as Busch, it seems Toyota has forgotten their other teams and focused solely on JGR. If it were equally distributed among them the rest of the Toyota teams would be posting higher finishes. The other teams are struggling looking for sponsors and trying to get into the top 35 every week. JGR is not just gonna hand GEM their R&D, they like things just the way they are, heck they have even fallen off since being caught with some extra goodies. There's no way Kahne can go to Ford because of his past relationship with them. So that bridge is burnt. The only other option would be Chevy and it appears those teams are full. I honestly do not look for Ray to go to Toyota, he brought Dodge back to NASCAR and I think he will leave before he goes to Toyota. He may hook up with Loomis at Petty to get them back up to par, Loomis and Evernham were a force to be reckoned with at one time. With Kenny's contract up at season's end who knows, maybe he's waiting as well to see how all this is going to play out. Kahne did make the comment at one time that he would stay with Ray, that was of course in 2007. Gillet is after a championship and could be dangling that in front of him but I really don't see how not with JGR standing in the way. Maybe Stewart-Haas Racing will add a third car and take Kahne. That would be a dream team. I guess we will have to wait and see how it unfolds. If you can't find the story let me know and I'll post a link.
Sara

AOL

#7 Oct 16, 2008
nothing is for sure right now. Toyota, Ray or otherwise. Ray said on ESPN he wasn't going to totally sell out his percent of ownership IF he sold it off at all. AND George couldn't make any decisions without talking to him first when it came to manufactures

“Made in Canada.”

Since: Dec 06

Ontario

#8 Oct 16, 2008
KENNY'S A FREE AGENT?!?!?!?!? Oh God. Oh God. NO NO NO he & Kasey can't get separated...they work too well together! If they switch to Toyota, and Kasey has a new crew chief, I think that's gonna be too much change for Kasey all at once!

At first I was all for this Toyota deal, but then I realized that they're going to have to catch up on EVERYTHING. 2009 is an odd year = Kasey's bad year. Makes sense. Maybe I'm just superstitious? Hm.
CDJ

United States

#9 Oct 16, 2008
Jayski's reporting MWR will be returning the #44 to Petty racing in 2009. Sounds like something is up there! I'm telling you guys it doesn't sound good. Why would Waltrip go down to 2 cars? That leaves the #00 and the #55, no no no not them, this could be the last nail in the coffin.

“Made in Canada.”

Since: Dec 06

Ontario

#10 Oct 16, 2008
MWR going down to 2 cars has been floating around for a while now. They haven't picked up the option on McDowell's contract. I just don't think they have the money to fund 3 anymore.
Nicki

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Oct 17, 2008
They might have given the #44 back, but they are keeping the points for the #00, according to what I've read. Next year they don't want to have to qualify in.

“www.myspace.com/ mandyhottielee”

Since: May 08

Ellijay, GA

#12 Oct 17, 2008
These last 5 races are Kyle Busch to win.
CDJ

United States

#13 Oct 17, 2008
These last 5 races are up for grabs, let's see who takes them.

Ellijay, GA

#14 Oct 22, 2008
Kyle Busch is about to ignite again.
CDJ

United States

#15 Oct 22, 2008
He doesn't have much time, he is worrying over the tires performance at Atlanta. Hope he doesn't let it interfere with his racing, that's his crew chief's job.
Rowdy no more

Atlanta, GA

#16 Oct 22, 2008
Buschinator wrote:
Kyle Busch is about to ignite again.
Dream a little dream.

Ellijay, GA

#17 Dec 19, 2008
There's always next year. Kyle Busch 2009 Sprint cup Champion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jeff Burton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kurt Busch-Keselowski feud flares up just in ti... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Kurtfann41 1
Letarte Joins NBC's NASCAR Broadcast Team (Jan '14) Feb '14 Whoyakidding 8
Jeff Burton Getting New Crew Chief (Oct '12) Oct '12 Riders 3
10 NASCAR Drivers Who Won't Get a Single Win in... (Jan '12) Jan '12 big 3 1
Drivers skirt no-caution call at Charlotte (Jun '11) Jun '11 Hilton Head 1
Burton extends contract with RCR (Apr '11) Apr '11 88_Little e_88 2
NASCAR Bracketology: Upsets abound, but Johnson... (Mar '11) Apr '11 Carolyn 17

Jeff Burton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE