Failed hookup with Martin doomed Stewart

Feb 25, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: CBS SportsLine

Tony Stewart is trying to put last week's disappointing finish in the Daytona 500 behind him.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of45
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“smokes~ mojo”

Since: Dec 06

kepin' the ears on the big dog

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2011

Judged:

I know you all want to comment on this so go for it

“Clint give me some sugar”

Since: Aug 10

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2011

Has Tony made any comment on what he thought happened?

“smoke”

Since: Dec 07

Life is short, be nice!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2011

Judged:

Oh man, I haven't even read it but I knew before they hit the restart there was no way in Hell mark Martain would help Tony. I believe it hurt Mark more than Tony he may have gotten that win had he got up to be a threat.(Mark) I know Mark finished 5th I believe it looked like Tony just didn't get going again for some reason.
Lets face it there is ALWAYS an excuse no matter who the driver or the car or the owner. Only one car can win and it is okay with me Trevor did it!

Since: Jan 07

Charlotte NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2011

Judged:

Here is an article with both of them speaking on Daytona.

http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2011/2/2 ... ascar-2011

What Happened To Tony Stewart, Mark Martin In Daytona 500?
by Jeff Gluck

Tony Stewart and Mark Martin lined up on the outside for the final restart of the Daytona 500, both drivers just two laps away from an elusive victory in NASCAR's biggest race.

But when the green flag flew, Stewart and Martin dropped anchor and fell back through the field. Stewart finished 13th; Martin was eighth.

It was a disappointing result for both, especially for Martin who had returned to the lead lap after being three laps down. Both drivers will return to Daytona in 2012 still in search of their first win in the 500.

For some reason, the Stewart/Martin two-car tandem just couldn't get going. What the heck happened?

"We just never got the bumpers locked together; we kept bouncing off each other," Stewart said Friday. "Then a couple guys got a run through the center there, and it just pulled him off of us even more. We got separated so badly that we never did get hooked back up together."

Martin said the two simply "broke apart." He kept trying to push Stewart, but he couldn't get attached and would bump Stewart's car forward when he tried to connect them.

"For reasons that we can't determine right now, those things break apart when other cars are around, and we broke apart and Tony didn't immediately know it," he said. "So by the time he realized it, we were far enough apart that it was too late now. Our chance was over."

Martin's big comeback from being so many laps down had left him feeling like the Daytona 500 was shaping up to be something special for the veteran, but it just didn't work out that way.

"I thought we had an excellent, excellent shot at it, but as it turned out, we didn't get the run that we hoped we would," he said. "The wind from the other cars broke us apart."

“MARK MARTIN”

Since: Jan 10

Go Daddy Go

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2011

Judged:

maine girl wrote:
by Jeff Gluck
Tony Stewart and Mark Martin lined up on the outside for the final restart of the Daytona 500, both drivers just two laps away from an elusive victory in NASCAR's biggest race.
But when the green flag flew, Stewart and Martin dropped anchor and fell back through the field. Stewart finished 13th; Martin was eighth.
It was a disappointing result for both, especially for Martin who had returned to the lead lap after being three laps down. Both drivers will return to Daytona in 2012 still in search of their first win in the 500.
For some reason, the Stewart/Martin two-car tandem just couldn't get going. What the heck happened?
"We just never got the bumpers locked together; we kept bouncing off each other," Stewart said Friday. "Then a couple guys got a run through the center there, and it just pulled him off of us even more. We got separated so badly that we never did get hooked back up together."
Martin said the two simply "broke apart." He kept trying to push Stewart, but he couldn't get attached and would bump Stewart's car forward when he tried to connect them.
"For reasons that we can't determine right now, those things break apart when other cars are around, and we broke apart and Tony didn't immediately know it," he said. "So by the time he realized it, we were far enough apart that it was too late now. Our chance was over."
Martin's big comeback from being so many laps down had left him feeling like the Daytona 500 was shaping up to be something special for the veteran, but it just didn't work out that way.
"I thought we had an excellent, excellent shot at it, but as it turned out, we didn't get the run that we hoped we would," he said. "The wind from the other cars broke us apart."
Yep, it was Juan Montoya that spoiled their air.
Don't let the facts get in your way though, Debi, keep on hating people for no good reason.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2011

Judged:

I'm not buying "the wind from the other cars broke us apart"....they'd been racing like that all day and didn't have a problem drafting with different partners. I just think Mark didn't want to help Tony or wasn't good at pushing. Had the positions been changed around I think Tony would have pushed Mark, at least until coming out of the final turn.

“MARK MARTIN”

Go Daddy Go

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2011

Judged:

LTE14 wrote:
I'm not buying "the wind from the other cars broke us apart"....they'd been racing like that all day and didn't have a problem drafting with different partners. I just think Mark didn't want to help Tony or wasn't good at pushing. Had the positions been changed around I think Tony would have pushed Mark, at least until coming out of the final turn.
Watch the replay, it's just as he said. Montoya spoiled it.

“MARK MARTIN”

Go Daddy Go

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2011

Judged:

Upon further review, it looks like Tony forgot to ride the brake and lost his towing partner.

It is what it is
resident

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2011

Judged:

I lost all respect for Mark end of last season. he used to be a nice guy but he went to Hendricks and that changed him.

Cowlesville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2011

maine girl wrote:
by Jeff Gluck
"I thought we had an excellent, excellent shot at it, but as it turned out, we didn't get the run that we hoped we would," he said. "The wind from the other cars broke us apart.
Thanks. I figured that there was a reasonable explanation.I noticed some of the cars didn't seem to be able to draft well together.Also communication between spotters and drivers & even drivers to drivers seemed to be a major factor this yr.

Cowlesville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2011

Judged:

LTE14 wrote:
Why not?Ever since they went to this new car . The biggest problem has been the cars do not handle well & get loose running side by side .Plus at a restrictor plate race you have to deal with the side draft.J/S

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2011

Judged:

DEATH WISH 2 wrote:
<quoted text>Why not?Ever since they went to this new car . The biggest problem has been the cars do not handle well & get loose running side by side .Plus at a restrictor plate race you have to deal with the side draft.J/S
I realize that but neither one of them had problems drafting earlier in the race. Why on the last restart when it counted couldn't they figure it out....it's not like either one forgot how to do it or had to race around other cars for the first time all day.

“How We Roll”

Since: Nov 08

Area 51, Nevada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2011

Judged:

resident wrote:
I lost all respect for Mark end of last season. he used to be a nice guy but he went to Hendricks and that changed him.
LOL why not enlighten us with the reason you have for saying such a thing?

Cowlesville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2011

Judged:

LTE14 wrote:
<quoted text>
I realize that but neither one of them had problems drafting earlier in the race. Why on the last restart when it counted couldn't they figure it out....it's not like either one forgot how to do it or had to race around other cars for the first time all day.
Maybe they used up their equipment who knows. Only Tony & Mark can answer that question they were the ones driving the cars. But I still believe after reading Tonys interview on Sr. The fact he watches & re watches the worst accident he was ever involved in & watching Sr fatal accident . It is not helping him mentally on the track by repeatedly watching this. He is burning it deeper into his subliminal memory.It finally explaines to me why he would give the lead up with hardly a half a lap to go in the 2008 500.JMO But who knows??

“How We Roll”

Since: Nov 08

Area 51, Nevada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2011

Yikes @ all the comments about why this and that.

A couple important things I thought about in 'push' drafting, from so many many hours of practice:

The best restart I ever had from Mark's position was when I was pushing against the car ahead before the yellow. Takes some orchestration but if with that, there's a better equalization of both engines moving both cars with minimal turbulance.

Most important thing (they'll start mentioning it as people realize this and start sharing this tip) is the car following has the option to drift a bit high, taking a longer distance route, or come down a bit for the shorter route. Actually, pushing the car from the left side of the bumper rather than the right is better anyway because the pressure is below the spin rotation center which means its harder to spin the lead car.

So from what I saw, Tony was more than a carwidth high off the inside line. A bit TOO high. Martin could have tried pushing from the left side, blocking the center lane and would have worked if Tony wasn't too high.

But basically I think a LOT of people miss the brilliant left side push concept which also allows the car behind to see up the left side of the car he pushes, AND the lead car can look back from the left mirror and see his push car. The more of that car he sees, the faster he'll be propelled around turns, which is the benefit of being 'tethered' to a shorter radius swing, while actually turning a wider radius allowing the engine to stay wound up better.

“YA dont know ..........do ya??”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2011

Judged:

resident wrote:
If you cant respect Mark, then, who do you respect??? Please tell me how MM has changed from being a nice guy since he joined HMS!! And what happened at the end of last season that changed your mind about Mark??

“YA dont know ..........do ya??”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2011

Judged:

Everybody is an expert, this thread is funny as hell!!!!!!!!!!

“thank you Lord”

Since: Sep 07

Alexandria

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2011

Judged:

I was THERE and Mark fell back like a rock and left Tony all by himself.. if Tony had hoped Mark would push him, he was let down.. Mark did not even TOUCH Tony's bumper on that restart.. Mark is a FRIKKIIN' LIAR.. big surprise

“thank you Lord”

Since: Sep 07

Alexandria

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2011

Judged:

on the previous restart, Tony pushed David Regan so hard that when Regan cut down infront of Trevor, it was too early, before the line... so, Tony lost that partner.. Mark is not a pusher... during practices, Mark would wait for someone to come and push him.. so maybe Mark needs to RECIPROCATE and PRACTICE pushing as well... it is a PITY that Jr had a flat tire on the final restart and had to go in cuz who would not have LOVED Tony Stewart pushing Jr over that finish line,, like every time Jr got a win on the restrictor plate track? or Tony and Jr side by side for a close finish with Tony winning?? Too bad for the flat that left Tony with the old LOSER who should RETIRE!!!!

“PUNCH IN THE MOUTH”

Since: Sep 10

PUNCHVILLE, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2011

Judged:

nucklehead wrote:
I was THERE and Mark fell back like a rock and left Tony all by himself.. if Tony had hoped Mark would push him, he was let down.. Mark did not even TOUCH Tony's bumper on that restart.. Mark is a FRIKKIIN' LIAR.. big surprise
WRONG!!!

The fact you were there means diddly. We saw it better in our living rooms than you would ever hope of seeing it, so try again, loser.

Tony screwed up by not synchronizing with Mark and staying on Mark's bumper properly.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of45
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••