Maseratis, models and Montreal

Jun 16, 2010 Read more: The Globe and Mail

Grand Prix time. I hadn't watched a Formula One race live since the 1970s. Now it was time to revisit the Vatican of speed, and get answers to some burning questions.

Read more
lambdavi

Rome, Italy

#1 Jun 17, 2010
Sorry the journalist could only afford to be sent to Montreal, rather than Monza, Silverstone or Monaco.

In the old days, when men were men and cars were cars, not push-button road rockets, F1 was raced at the Nurburgring, the real one, the 32-Km circuit, where the race consisted of 9, 10 laps, not 77...

Surprisingly, F1 today relates to ordinary cars much more than other top-notch sports such as NASCAR or drag racing, and more often than not what is one team's secret this year will be in every other team's racer next year and in your own car in three or four.

I only wish cars were made even more "extreme", more difficult to drive, bringing them back to the 1960's/70's rodeo-like performance. Then we'd see just who is a racing driver and who is the airline pilot...

“Is that Banjo Music I hear ...”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#2 Jun 18, 2010
lambdavi wrote:
Sorry the journalist could only afford to be sent to Montreal, rather than Monza, Silverstone or Monaco.
In the old days, when men were men and cars were cars, not push-button road rockets, F1 was raced at the Nurburgring, the real one, the 32-Km circuit, where the race consisted of 9, 10 laps, not 77...
Surprisingly, F1 today relates to ordinary cars much more than other top-notch sports such as NASCAR or drag racing, and more often than not what is one team's secret this year will be in every other team's racer next year and in your own car in three or four.
I only wish cars were made even more "extreme", more difficult to drive, bringing them back to the 1960's/70's rodeo-like performance. Then we'd see just who is a racing driver and who is the airline pilot...
great post lambdavi, I think you're spot on, way to many restrictions, regulations and not enough balls to the wall hard core hard ass racing ....

you talk of the nurburgring, I was watching Le Mans last week and used to remember the good old Mulsanne straight, a 5km long straight, which was just so awesome, until the FIA decided they needed to shorten it (they would not sanction any track with a straight longer than 2km's) and put 2 chicanes in it to slow the cars down .....
acrim

Manhattan Beach, CA

#4 Jun 21, 2010
F1 in the 70's...the WAS racing! Not like the wimpy Indy cars or NA$CRAP where they have to keep it flat all the way around because the cars are so underpowered.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jacques Villeneuve Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tom Logano apologizes for run-in with Biffle (Oct '09) Feb '15 dicswg22 10
News Danica Patrick hoping for better luck on NASCAR... (Jun '14) Jul '14 IceMan PJN 3
News Brienne Davis -- Most current Information (Apr '08) Apr '14 bisdead 18
News Jeremy Mayfield considers selling race team (Jul '09) Oct '13 Chargeforward1 22
News Gatti's wife accused in his slaying (Jul '09) Dec '12 JanetPlanet 51
News Patrick disappointed in Nationwide results in '12 (Oct '12) Oct '12 Carolyn 9
News Danica hits a shoe; McKayla takes over week in ... (Aug '12) Sep '12 Jorge 12
More from around the web