Stock-car racing needs changes to lur...

Stock-car racing needs changes to lure new fans and end decline

There are 32 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Nov 26, 2010, titled Stock-car racing needs changes to lure new fans and end decline. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

CHARLOTTE, N.C. a ' It has been a challenging season for NASCAR in terms of attendance and television ratings, both of which have turned the wrong way this year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“How We Roll”

Since: Nov 08

Area 51, Nevada

#21 Nov 28, 2010
X Jr Fan wrote:
<quoted text>so are you're saying NASCAR wasn't a sport back in the day but is a sport now?
No, I was stating just stating that not all the drivers looked like athletes, and coincidentally (like with bowling) that is a determining factor in some people's minds.
acrim

Manhattan Beach, CA

#22 Nov 28, 2010
the product sucks, plain and simple
You get over it

Katy, TX

#23 Nov 28, 2010
alpinedigital wrote:
<quoted text>
Stuff like that enhances my otherwise boring Sunday, right?
I find the best races anymore are the ones that JR gets knocked out of, once he's in the garage and no longer a magnet for the cameras, the race becomes lots more exciting because the cameras and the comments can focus on the real racing.

After all, racing is the point of the sport. Not just circling around in the back waiting for NASCAR to drop a caution for invisible debris so you can advance or at least get your lap back.
Sinking like the TITANIC

Berrien Center, MI

#24 Nov 28, 2010
No offense towards you as I would guess its just misguided from X-FANS like myself who are disgusted by NASCAR and their shenanigins. It has become so phoney over the years that I quit watching it. I do think that if fans boycotted a few races something would be done. But in todays diverse world I doubt that you can get two people to agree on anything. So it is what it is... I also have always loved racing and have found a home following and working on dirt late models in the Lucas and World of outlaw series. Back where the roots of racing began and as far as I am concerned will always be. Even Tony Stewart races every year a few times.Hell, he even owns Eldora Speedway and does a fine job running it.He loves it so much he flies in his NASCAR buddies and race for Kyle Pettys "Victory Junction", giving Kyle all the proceeds and even adding it out of his own pocket every summer. He takes care of the fans first and foremost. He keeps the ticket prices down, even though they hold the biggest late model and sprint car races in the U.S. there every year. But the competition is tough and with all his back ground and money even Tony finds it tough for him to do well when he gets in his dirt car. Kenny Shraeder still races also and always has for 30 plus years.He also owns a dirt-track in Missouri. He gets beat more often than a red-headed step-child. But its great racing AND afterwards most tracks open the gates and fans can go in the pits. And as far as stories...you could write a book. One quick storie about Tony a couple of years ago the NASCAR race was cancelled toa Sunday instead of Saturday nite. Tony was at Eldora for one of the biggest races he holds every year. Anyway track preparation on a dirt or clay track is supreme. The better prepared the better the racing.The fans know it also. Anyway there had not been enough rain for the entire summer there and Tony was personally driving around checking every square inch to see its condition. First on a quad stopping everywhere looking and then got in a water truck and started putting water on it himself. And dirt fans, being a lot thicker skinned than most, recognized the track was dry.... meaning bad racing. I even heard some of them holler over to him "put some water on the track fatso". He just grinned and the next thing you know he was in the water truck. But not because of them but because he knew it also.

“How We Roll”

Area 51, Nevada

#25 Nov 28, 2010
Sinking like the TITANIC wrote:
I also have always loved racing and have found a home following and working on dirt late models in the Lucas and World of outlaw series.
If you were addressing me, thanks but no thanks. I stopped reading about 1 sentence after you started 'the history in dirt' or where ever you were heading with that.

If you found a home, good for you. Why don't you take your comments over there instead of giving people here the whine and cheese BS that I'm sure most fans are sick of hearing about? Seriously... things change and people leave. The smart ones don't look back. Life is too short to indulge in complaining about what you don't like when you should be concerning yourself with something you DO like.
Sinking like the TITANIC

Berrien Center, MI

#26 Nov 28, 2010
I can see by your other posts you fancy yourself somewhat an expert but with a closed mind you would not understand the point made anyway.Its well over you head. Even others ridiculed you in the same way. And as a matter of fact I have had posts put up "over there" but unlike the things that people say and get away on this web they screen. But this is one I do stay away from most of the time anyway. Mainly because of the hate being spread on this web site. I figured that when you started being defensive about your previous posts that you were talking thru your hat. Sorry to have bothered you.....

“How We Roll”

Area 51, Nevada

#27 Nov 30, 2010
I can see by your other posts you fancy yourself somewhat an expert but with a closed mind you would not understand the point made anyway.Its well over you head.
lol Im sorry, were u making a point thats way over my head? I dont think so!! lol

Somewhat an expert. that's a laugh. I don't see how anything I say could be considered as such. Instinctive is the only claim I'll make about anything. But let me know when you're ready to come quick with something other than a drawn out history about your decision to decision follow Tony into the dirt, then I'll consider your point.

“Just quit jr.”

Since: Aug 09

WVU

#28 Nov 30, 2010
The biggest change NASCAR SHOULD make is to can the jr promotion!!! The ratings were up at Homestead with jr being a non-factor in the chase(hint). With the stands dominated by jr nation, why would anyone want to attend a race and have your family subjected to the overbearing earnhardt fans. Even on here, the most irrate people on here are the ones rooting for jr and if you don't agree with them, then you are classified as a hater. The main problem with NASCAR is the overwelming favoritism of earnhardt, plain and simple, and a LOT OF PEOPLE are just plain tired of it and that is why you don't see those people in the stands.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#29 Nov 30, 2010
Undo all the changes that put them in the predicament they are in.
3TOES wrote:
The biggest change NASCAR SHOULD make.....

“America is getting FAT”

Since: Oct 08

Herndon, Va.

#30 Nov 30, 2010
Petty, E, all the older drivers were bad-ass. Complete outlaws who would like to have fans but didn't care at all if they didn't. That was their appeal. The kind of guys you would want to have a six pack with and they'd end up drinking 12. Actual tough hombres.

It got so popular it climbed in the ratings, it climbed in attendance. Even I went to Dover in 2002! But what goes up.....

Then it actually started appealing to women?! Tiny little guys with (get this...) no mustaches? Clean shaven little smug bastards who make it on tv for, not beer ads, but RAZORS? Gillete?

Thank yourselves for the decline. The toughness is gone and the (literally) smoothness of these guys is here.

"I think he's cute" has no place in NASCAR. The ratings went up and there's nowhere left to go but down.

Petty and Big E not only didn't use a razor, they wouldn't try to sell them for a dollar.

Take your young guns and re-think this thing. Wusses.
You get over it

Katy, TX

#31 Nov 30, 2010
3TOES wrote:
The biggest change NASCAR SHOULD make is to can the jr promotion!!! The ratings were up at Homestead with jr being a non-factor in the chase(hint). With the stands dominated by jr nation, why would anyone want to attend a race and have your family subjected to the overbearing earnhardt fans. Even on here, the most irrate people on here are the ones rooting for jr and if you don't agree with them, then you are classified as a hater. The main problem with NASCAR is the overwelming favoritism of earnhardt, plain and simple, and a LOT OF PEOPLE are just plain tired of it and that is why you don't see those people in the stands.
AMEN.

And they are also sick of hearing the idiotic JR commentary throughout the whole race, so they also aren't watching on TV anymore, either.
Dan

Elgin, OR

#32 Nov 30, 2010
I can see by your other posts you fancy yourself somewhat an expert but with a closed mind you would not understand the point made anyway.Its well over you head. Even others ridiculed you in the same way. And as a matter of fact I have had posts put up "over there" but unlike the things that people say and get away on this web they screen. But this is one I do stay away from most of the time anyway. Mainly because of the hate being spread on this web site. I figured that when you started being defensive about your previous posts that you were talking thru your hat. Sorry to have bothered you.....
If alpine could bend over and open his ass wide enough for Jimmy to drive that greed built crap of tomorrow car up his ass and do a burnout, he would.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hendrick Motorsports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News McMurray starts 'Big One,' wrecks half the fiel... Jul '16 MrTinkertrain24 1
jimmie johnson Jun '16 ken summers 1
News Jimmie Johnson escapes injury after steering wh... Mar '16 Fart news 6
News Are Tony Stewart's Days as a Contender Over? (May '14) Feb '16 Fart news 23
News Jeff Gordon is fueled by his desire to walk awa... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Fart news 12
News NASCAR tracks to fans: Leave Confederate flags ... (Jul '15) Aug '15 Fart news 16
News Harvick's only shove this time at Texas comes o... (Apr '15) Apr '15 tom wingo 6
More from around the web