Stock-car racing needs changes to lure new fans and end decline

Nov 26, 2010 Full story: Connecticut Post 32

CHARLOTTE, N.C. a ' It has been a challenging season for NASCAR in terms of attendance and television ratings, both of which have turned the wrong way this year.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
X Jr Fan

Cleveland, TN

#1 Nov 26, 2010
there's no use of watching the first 26 races because they don't count and football out rates NASCAR. NASCAR should reduce there schedule to 26 races and make them count and end the season before football season starts and maybe the ratings will go up.
Playoffs are great

United States

#2 Nov 26, 2010
X Jr Fan wrote:
there's no use of watching the first 26 races because they don't count and football out rates NASCAR. NASCAR should reduce there schedule to 26 races and make them count and end the season before football season starts and maybe the ratings will go up.
Guess we shouldn't watch the first 16 football games or the first 82 basketball games or the first 162 baseball games and just watch the playoff. Come on, nothing is wrong with having a playoff system like all sports.
acrim

Manhattan Beach, CA

#3 Nov 26, 2010
the product sucks, plain and simple.
X Jr Fan

Cleveland, TN

#4 Nov 27, 2010
Playoffs are great wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess we shouldn't watch the first 16 football games or the first 82 basketball games or the first 162 baseball games and just watch the playoff. Come on, nothing is wrong with having a playoff system like all sports.
How many times does a baseball, basketball or a football team play every team each week? they don't. that's the reason they have the playoffs system in them sports. a certain team might not play a certain team until they get to the playoffs. but in NASCAR each team races against each other every week. if they don't know who the best team is after 36(and not 10) races there is wrong.

“How We Roll”

Since: Nov 08

Area 51, Nevada

#5 Nov 27, 2010
"there's no use of watching the first 26 races"
Well then you don't get to cheer your fav driver to making the playoffs then.

"if they don't know who the best team"
X Jr Fan logic fail? If the point of watching is to find out who is the best, then just watch a frickin news report of who the champion is AFTER all events are complete.

WTF is WRONG with you people and your idiotic logic? Do you even think before you post this random fail of reason?

Since: Nov 09

Spokane, WA

#6 Nov 27, 2010
Why should it matter to the fans if the ratings are down? If you're watching the sport because it's the "in" thing to do, then you need to get a life.
Sinking like the TITANIC

Bloomingdale, IL

#7 Nov 27, 2010
Lure NEW fans?????????? They couldnt keep the ones they had. I love to see Brian France and his group get what they deserve, NO fans and empty seats along with poor TV ratings. He has ruined NASCAR. And it was great to see Jimmy win 5 CHAMPIONSHIPS in a ROW. Proving even more that the COT car was a failure to everyone but a few who figured it out. Every one else struggled or were not consistent, even the other big names.And with their move to make Joliet cookie cutter speedway, the first race for next years CHASE, it also shows that they are going where there still IS money. And they will fail there because cookie cutter race tracks are NOT designed for a car of that weight. One grooved racetacks. NO banking for any competive racing. Along with the fact that the tickets are over 200$ a piece. And even with the TV camera close ups, boring. So as far as getting new fans, they better start at the baby hospitals because most people who know anything about racing have long turned it off. If you want to see good racing, spend less, travel less and feel you got you moneys worth,feel like part of whats going on, find a dirt track around you, go see a dirt late model race, winged sprint or even a big block modified, you will forget NAPCAR ever existed.Thats the only place where racing is still good. And when the only one left number but a few maybe THEN will France make the changes to bring back the fans with what they paid for and expect. A GOOD RACE!!!!!!!!!!
X Jr Fan

Cleveland, TN

#8 Nov 27, 2010
alpinedigital wrote:
"there's no use of watching the first 26 races"
Well then you don't get to cheer your fav driver to making the playoffs then.
"if they don't know who the best team"
X Jr Fan logic fail? If the point of watching is to find out who is the best, then just watch a frickin news report of who the champion is AFTER all events are complete.
WTF is WRONG with you people and your idiotic logic? Do you even think before you post this random fail of reason?
maybe the NFL should change their rules. two teams play 3 quarters and after the 3rd quarter reset the points and the team who scores the most points in the 4th quarter wins the game.

“How We Roll”

Area 51, Nevada

#9 Nov 27, 2010
Sinking like the TITANIC wrote:
Lure NEW fans?????????? They couldnt keep the ones they had.
Well think about what other things factor in: Death of Dale Earnhardt, and a son who's just about undoing everything that name meant to racing. If I was an E fan, omg I'd be like "dude! F**K all this!! Im so outta here!!!"

Didn't help that there are so many changes that may suit a new generation of fans, but certainly NOT the old fans who grew up with this stuff. Sure - a sad day for you guys but not for me. I came in when Alan K. champed, but he died the next year and I saw a very quick day-glo Dupont that caught my eye... and then he changed to the flames, so I started watching his other car.(I hate flames!)

“How We Roll”

Area 51, Nevada

#10 Nov 27, 2010
JrNationMakesMeLaugh wrote:
Why should it matter to the fans if the ratings are down? If you're watching the sport because it's the "in" thing to do, then you need to get a life.
LMAO I couldnt have said it better myself!! BUT I BET I COULD SAY IT LOUDER!! lmao j/k
Sinking like the TITANIC

Bloomingdale, IL

#11 Nov 27, 2010
You are very right about the death of Big E. A sad day for sure. Terrible loss for racing.Tony Stewart is about the only one left who came from nothing and kept on going.Still as close to "old school" as Big E was as close to the ones that preceded him.Cale for one. The "NEW" genaration of fans??? I dont know about or understand. I guess as far as they are concerned that the tracks in their areas becomes NAPCARS "only show in town", so they watch it and pay thru the nose for the same thing they can see on the interstate, "follow the leader." Or as others have said they have no lives.. They dont know what good racing was or for that matter is, so they watch it. The one thing that is certain that if NAPCAR still continues its downward slide and France is not making his fortune he will sooner or later have to make changes and make racing worth watching again. You know how the greedy are if they are not making tons of cash. They are forced to do something to start making money again.He is even losing major sponsers because of lack of interest. But the jury is out on just how "loyal" the "new" fans are. The next year or two will tell, especially with the depression going on and no end in site.
Sinking like the TITANIC

Bloomingdale, IL

#12 Nov 27, 2010
Here is a question for you. Did you honestly think that Denny Hamlin would win the Championship even with the lead going into Homestead? Did you think that Chad and Jimmy would NOT win it all? Be honest....

“How We Roll”

Area 51, Nevada

#13 Nov 27, 2010
Here is a question for you. Did you honestly think that Denny Hamlin would win the Championship even with the lead going into Homestead? Did you think that Chad and Jimmy would NOT win it all? Be honest....
Truthfully, I'm always on the fence about what I believe is likely to happen. This time, I was still ready to accept that fans would finally be rid of '4-Time' in the #1 spot for 2011, right up until I realized that soon as the race started, Jimmie's qualifying spot would have him ahead in points as he usually is, and it would be back to 'sliding by' as he usually does in the last race. Then I saw the pit crew losing spots here and there and thought, THAT would be a suitable excuse for #48 team to lose it, because of the 24 guys pitting him. I was already contemplating the defense arguments...

Another thought that entered my head was that something would happen to the 48, somehow, some way, if it had to be sabotaged, that would just be the case because NASCAR wouldn't let JJ upset even MORE fans. I mean, if they could ruin it for the 48, why don't they? They realize just like everyone else that people are sick of the 48 holding the crown. And with that thought, I was completely on NASCAR's side with this. 4 in a row was indeed enough - he did the unthinkable.

And that said, if NASCAR's integrity was in question, they might as well throw anything they need to for that 48 to finish 4 spots behind Hammy.

“How We Roll”

Area 51, Nevada

#14 Nov 27, 2010
The "NEW" genaration of fans??? I dont know about or understand.
Yeah I guess maybe you wouldn't understand. But then I never found the fat guys of the old days in these ugly ass cars very appealing. They were always all run down and dirty as hell when they finished. The typical over-weight, over the hill drivers were probably the main reason NASCAR wasn't considered a 'sport'.

Nowadays, the cars look cleaner, the drivers are nice and fit. Their attitudes for the most part, more professional, and all the new technology... basically everything that does NOT remind me of the old days APPEALS to me.

So yeah, I consider myself the new generation, and I'm totally happy with the new NASCAR. You can take any late race lap on any track and compare then and now, and IMO the old stuff isn't worth my time. Not to say everything new is perfect, but to me, it looks like NASCAR is steadily improving their product. That said, I look forward to seeing everything they throw on TV, and hope like hell they quit showing the old days clips.

Hate me if u want, and hate NASCAR too. As I keep saying, tough sh1t, and you sound like a whiny bitch for constantly complaining. No, I don't feel sorry for not a single one of you who cry about not liking the changes. Piss off, find a new hobby and simply stfu cuzz dwelling on your issues (not you specifically) is NOT helping matters for you, them, or anyone. Just go soak your head in something and try not coming up for air. Basically how I feel about it.

No, but seriously, when ya'll take the time to come express how upset you are - its amusing. In a 'ha-ha get a life' sort of way.
old head

Dayton, VA

#15 Nov 27, 2010
Sounds to me like you just like Hollywood. I'm thinking you have never seen a real race just a bunch of pretty boys driving fancy cars built with parts made by japs. Now watch the dog chase the rabbit round and round and round. Nap Car now sucks.
WWE NASCAR

Trumbull, CT

#16 Nov 28, 2010
X Jr Fan wrote:
<quoted text>maybe the NFL should change their rules. two teams play 3 quarters and after the 3rd quarter reset the points and the team who scores the most points in the 4th quarter wins the game.
Sounds like you're onto to something, the NFL could learn a lot from watching NASCAR. How about if a team gets more then 14 points behind, they are given a free pass to the end zone; call it the "Lucky Bomb" or something stupid like that. Or how about if some third string bench warmer is really popular with the fans and does a lot of commercials he's guaranteed a starting position every game.
Sinking like the TITANIC

Bloomingdale, IL

#17 Nov 28, 2010
Actualy I sent in another post and it must of been screened , but absoutley not I did not think that ANYONE would have beat Jimmy. Even Vegas odds makers still had Jimmy favored going into Homestead. My reply to Alpine was that He thought Old Nascar drivers wee old and FAT? How about Cale And Freddie Lorenson.Cale played colege football and was built like a fire plug.What about Big E and Petty? Didnt see they had any physical problems.And I went on to say that this nice packinging job on these cars are nothing more than a full sized decal that fits over the entire car.Chock full of all the stuff you are supposed to rush out the door and buy. Also that I can see by his fence sitting that he knows "NOTHING" about racing.Or he would have know how the Chase would have finished.Even though his many post make him feel the expert. Also France makes sure that no drivers speak out of turn or against NAPCAR because he will straiten them out. He runs a tight ship something like a prison camp.And also that I am not whining, that in America if you havent figured people need to First take a stand and then stick to it.Once France quits lining his pockets with money from guys like alpine he will have to do something. And I could care less about Napcar because I have had the good fortune to help on a dirt late model whos driver is in the Dirt Hall of Fame.Racing that Tony does and owns one of the U.S>s best tracks. But if he likes the follow the leader racing keep watching and told him to HAVE A GOOD DAY!
X Jr Fan

Cleveland, TN

#18 Nov 28, 2010
alpinedigital wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah I guess maybe you wouldn't understand. But then I never found the fat guys of the old days in these ugly ass cars very appealing. They were always all run down and dirty as hell when they finished. The typical over-weight, over the hill drivers were probably the main reason NASCAR wasn't considered a 'sport'.
Nowadays, the cars look cleaner, the drivers are nice and fit. Their attitudes for the most part, more professional, and all the new technology... basically everything that does NOT remind me of the old days APPEALS to me.
So yeah, I consider myself the new generation, and I'm totally happy with the new NASCAR. You can take any late race lap on any track and compare then and now, and IMO the old stuff isn't worth my time. Not to say everything new is perfect, but to me, it looks like NASCAR is steadily improving their product. That said, I look forward to seeing everything they throw on TV, and hope like hell they quit showing the old days clips.
Hate me if u want, and hate NASCAR too. As I keep saying, tough sh1t, and you sound like a whiny bitch for constantly complaining. No, I don't feel sorry for not a single one of you who cry about not liking the changes. Piss off, find a new hobby and simply stfu cuzz dwelling on your issues (not you specifically) is NOT helping matters for you, them, or anyone. Just go soak your head in something and try not coming up for air. Basically how I feel about it.
No, but seriously, when ya'll take the time to come express how upset you are - its amusing. In a 'ha-ha get a life' sort of way.
so are you're saying NASCAR wasn't a sport back in the day but is a sport now?
You get over it

Katy, TX

#19 Nov 28, 2010
alpinedigital wrote:
<quoted text>
And, in fact, if the wonderful Dale SR had the sense to use some of that new technology and advanced gear, he would have saved his own life...but he thought he was too good for that and now he's just dead. I think the sport is better without him, would be better without the wanna-be-a-star-without-the-ef fort Dale JR, too.

It would be nice if NASCAR would focus on the real talent, rather than waste so much time trying to make JR into some kind of legend that he clearly isn't destined to be. I know the endless hype of little E at the expense of those who are truly racing their hearts out has made NASCAR less appealing to me, and many of my friends. We used to enjoy the sport, but with NASCAR twisting the rules and making bogus calls to benefit Jr, and the unearned hype, as if he's the only one on the track...it's just no fun to watch anymore.

“How We Roll”

Area 51, Nevada

#20 Nov 28, 2010
You get over it wrote:
<quoted text> it's just no fun to watch anymore.
First, let me say I'm going to try to remember your opinions on all this because I appreciate them, I really do.

As for the racing - I don't really care. I like all of it, but thats just me. I like cars driving on the edge of performance, coming off the corners with the ass end stepping out now and then. I like pit crews going for 12 seconds, tires spinning on exit. Thats just something I can't get enough of.

The stories that come along with all this? GREAT stuff IMO. The Aussie road course driver making a simple error that grants the champ the win that he actually put serious effort into preparing himself for! That was awesome. Stuff like that enhances my otherwise boring Sunday, right?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hendrick Motorsports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tony Stewart silence heightens roar of criticism Aug '14 Manic 2 39
Will Dale Earnhardt Jr. Finally Contend for a N... (Jan '14) Aug '14 Jr IQ 88 232
Why did Dale Earnhardt, Jr. switch to Hendrick ... (Mar '10) Aug '14 Uncle John Duckett 83
Gordon celebrates 20th anniversary of 1st victory (May '14) Aug '14 Whoyakidding 6
LeBron James wins AP Male Athlete of the Year (Dec '13) Jul '14 dfsg 8
Obama honors NASCAR's Johnson for 6th Sprint Cup Jun '14 goob 1
Chad Knaus: At Peace with Himself, NASCAR and a... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Norman Storer 1
More from around the web