Five NASCAR Drivers Reject White House Invitation [The President]

Sep 2, 2011 Full story: Gawker 19

President Obama, like he does with all top sports teams or athletes, has invited last year's NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson and the 11 other drivers who competed for the championship to a White House reception next week.

Full Story
pablo

United States

#1 Sep 2, 2011
exactly why i dont watch that redneck crap
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

#2 Sep 3, 2011
Exactly why I do!

Kudos to the drivers who have the class to say I can't drop everything just because the President wants to meet me!

Is he too busy or too important to meet them on their turf? I know that at least Ronald Reagan and GW Bush attended Nascar events.

“Do my bidding”

Since: Feb 11

topix

#3 Sep 3, 2011
CatRod53 wrote:
Exactly why I do!
Kudos to the drivers who have the class to say I can't drop everything just because the President wants to meet me!
Is he too busy or too important to meet them on their turf? I know that at least Ronald Reagan and GW Bush attended Nascar events.
Your disrespect for the office of President of the United States of America is disgusting.

You BRAIN DAMAGED, right wing fools are THE PROBLEM with America today.

Disrespectful
Unpatriotic
Bigots
Racists
Pinheads

YOU SUCK !!!
to hell in a handbasket

Mooresville, NC

#4 Sep 3, 2011
The AntiChrist 666 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your disrespect for the office of President of the United States of America is disgusting.
You BRAIN DAMAGED, right wing fools are THE PROBLEM with America today.
Disrespectful
Unpatriotic
Bigots
Racists
Pinheads
YOU SUCK !!!
YOU SUCK spoiled brat. Get some new material...and get a job. To get respect you have to EARN it. It doesn't just fall into your lap. You wouldn't know about that, would you?!
Nobama 2012

Mooresville, NC

#5 Sep 3, 2011
CatRod53 wrote:
Exactly why I do!
Kudos to the drivers who have the class to say I can't drop everything just because the President wants to meet me!
Is he too busy or too important to meet them on their turf? I know that at least Ronald Reagan and GW Bush attended Nascar events.
You are so right! Ignore the antiChrist. She's the one posting as the juvenile clowns and various other miscreants. She's one of the biggest hypocrites on the planet.

She picked the wrong nic to try to make her case for you being unpatriotic, etc. If she had an ounce of respect for her president, she would NEVER put that picture in her avatar. It's demeaning and disrespectful.
Nobama 2012

Mooresville, NC

#6 Sep 3, 2011
pablo wrote:
exactly why i dont watch that redneck crap
So, what are you here for? You're on the TONY STEWART FORUM. It's about racing. I don't suppose you're here for a weather report or cooking tips.

That makes you either a liar or a troublemaker...or both...
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

#7 Sep 3, 2011
The AntiChrist 666 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your disrespect for the office of President of the United States of America is disgusting.
You BRAIN DAMAGED, right wing fools are THE PROBLEM with America today.
Disrespectful
Unpatriotic
Bigots
Racists
Pinheads
YOU SUCK !!!
If you think I was disrespectful - what do you call a name calling so & so like yourself?! Nice try - but I'm taking the bait!
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

#8 Sep 3, 2011
Nice try - but I'm NOT taking the bait!
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

#9 Sep 3, 2011
Nobama 2012 wrote:
<quoted text>
So, what are you here for? You're on the TONY STEWART FORUM. It's about racing. I don't suppose you're here for a weather report or cooking tips.
That makes you either a liar or a troublemaker...or both...
lol! You make my day!
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

#10 Sep 3, 2011
Nobama 2012 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so right! Ignore the antiChrist. She's the one posting as the juvenile clowns and various other miscreants. She's one of the biggest hypocrites on the planet.
She picked the wrong nic to try to make her case for you being unpatriotic, etc. If she had an ounce of respect for her president, she would NEVER put that picture in her avatar. It's demeaning and disrespectful.
Excellent post!

“Look into my eyes”

Since: Sep 10

Stillwater, MN

#11 Sep 3, 2011
to hell in a handbasket wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU SUCK spoiled brat. Get some new material...and get a job. To get respect you have to EARN it. It doesn't just fall into your lap. You wouldn't know about that, would you?!
YOU SUCK spoiled brat. Get some new material...and get a job. To get respect you have to EARN it. It doesn't just fall into your lap. You wouldn't know about that, would you?!
Nobama 2012

Mooresville, NC

#12 Sep 3, 2011
CatRod53 wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent post!
lol...Do you kinda feel like we're on the playground at elementary school trying to avoid the riff raff?(how about a good old fashioned game of dodge ball?)

>^.^<

“Clint give me some sugar”

Since: Aug 10

Fort Plain, NY

#13 Sep 3, 2011
Trust me, if we could be there, wed definitely be there, two-time Sprint Cup champion Tony Stewart said Friday at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Ive always viewed it as an honor just to have that opportunity, just to have the invitation to go. Ive enjoyed every trip every time weve gone there. Its a pretty big deal [and] not an invitation you take lightly.
Lets hear everyone call Smoke a liar
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

#14 Sep 3, 2011
Nobama 2012 wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...Do you kinda feel like we're on the playground at elementary school trying to avoid the riff raff?(how about a good old fashioned game of dodge ball?)
>^.^<
Again
Cleo

Marquette, MI

#15 Sep 3, 2011
CatRod53 wrote:
Exactly why I do!
Kudos to the drivers who have the class to say I can't drop everything just because the President wants to meet me!
Is he too busy or too important to meet them on their turf? I know that at least Ronald Reagan and GW Bush attended Nascar events.
Lets not forget that Clinton attended a few events as well. How would you react if Obama had an R instead of a D? You'd be calling them unpatriotic and how fortunate they are to have the opportunity to meet the president, but apparently only if he/she is the "right" party correct?

How disappointing.
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

#16 Sep 3, 2011
Cleo wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets not forget that Clinton attended a few events as well. How would you react if Obama had an R instead of a D? You'd be calling them unpatriotic and how fortunate they are to have the opportunity to meet the president, but apparently only if he/she is the "right" party correct?
How disappointing.
Do not try to second guess the reasons for my comments. My personal feelings toward Barack Obama are far more determined by his lack of integrity than his political party.

And I don't know what plans the 5 gentlemen in question have that they feel are more important and can not be changed, but that's their own business. I have no doubts they were respectful in sending their regrets.
Wang

United States

#17 Sep 3, 2011
Crinton (and cigals) onry went laces to scole with implessionabre Dare Jl. femares. They soooooo easy.

“Clint give me some sugar”

Since: Aug 10

Nedrow, NY

#18 Sep 3, 2011
Email
Print
Comments182
Associated Press


HAMPTON, Ga.-- NASCAR star Tony Stewart scoffed at the notion he turned down an invitation from the White House as some sort of political statement.

Stewart is among four Sprint Cup drivers who say they can't attend next week's meeting with President Obama because of scheduling conflicts. Eight others who made last year's Cup playoff, including five-time defending champion Jimmie Johnson, plan to be there along with NASCAR chairman and CEO Brian France.



Biffle

Stewart

"Trust me, if we could be there, we'd definitely be there," Stewart said Friday at Atlanta Motor Speedway. "I've always viewed it as an honor just to get an invitation to go. I've enjoyed every trip every time I've gone there. I've learned more and more about it. And it's pretty cool feeling to be with most powerful man in the world. That's not an invitation we take lightly."

When word got out that Stewart, Greg Biffle, Kevin Harvick and Carl Edwards wouldn't be going to the White House next Wednesday, it sparked plenty of chatter on talk shows and social media networks. There was speculation the four were making some sort of protest about Obama's policies on behalf of a generally conservative sport.

Nonsense, insisted Biffle, who said he has to go to a two-day retreat in Minnesota for 3M, the major sponsor of his No. 16 car. The event has been scheduled for months and will be attended by people from around the world.

"I saw some comments that we rejected the invitation," Biffle said. "To me, that's not what we did. Rejecting means no, I don't want to go, I'm not going to go, you can't make me go. That's rejecting. Having a conflict and not being able to participate is something different."

Biffle and Stewart pointed out they've been to the White House several times, meeting both former President George W. Bush and Obama, who was inaugurated in 2009.

"I've been there since he's been in office," Biffle said. "I've got a handshake picture with the president and I in the bookcase in my office, right behind my desk."

Stewart wouldn't reveal his conflicting plans -- "I'm not going to put anybody under the bus by talking about it" -- but insisted it was a commitment he couldn't break or change. Otherwise, he would have been at the White House.

"Every time I go, I learn more about each room," Stewart said. "If you get the chance, you should go. It's really worth it."
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

#19 Sep 3, 2011
Thanks for finding this DW2 - and proving their decisions had nothing to do with political reasons.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greg Biffle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fantasy NASCAR at Richmond 2014: Picks, Top Dri... Sep '14 john 1
Can Richard Petty Motorsports be relevant again... (Jan '14) Jan '14 chuck 2
Biffle sorry for not talking to Johnson in private (Oct '13) Nov '13 WHOYAKIDDING 7
Kenseth wins second Chase race (Sep '13) Oct '13 WHOYAKIDDING 10
Roush Fenway has come up big in Texas (Apr '13) Apr '13 Ford Man 1
Harvick wins first Daytona 500 qualifier, Patri... (Feb '13) Feb '13 manic 2 4
NASCAR drivers warn that transition won't be ea... (Aug '06) Oct '12 Simon Belt 66
More from around the web