Driver/owner Tony Stewart is NASCAR l...

Driver/owner Tony Stewart is NASCAR lead story so far

There are 12 comments on the www.star-telegram.com story from Apr 23, 2009, titled Driver/owner Tony Stewart is NASCAR lead story so far. In it, www.star-telegram.com reports that:

ANTHONY ANDRO There have been some big stories during the Sprint Cup season's first quarter.Jeff Gordon is obviously back, as his Samsung 500 victory at Texas Motor Speedway and spot atop the point standings proves.Matt Kenseth can apparently still race, too, and he has a pair of victories to show for that.But they and every other driver in the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.star-telegram.com.

“Smoke Fan Forever!!!”

Since: Sep 07

Look to the Western Sky!!!!

#1 Apr 23, 2009
I am glad that he is doing so well.
Wetodid

Glendora, CA

#2 Apr 23, 2009
butter ball

“That's Mrs. Stewart to YOU!”

Since: Nov 08

Huntersville, NC

#3 Apr 23, 2009
He's doing amazing! In ten years, never started out so well. I'm just to excited for the rest of the season... esp this weekend.:)

Since: Apr 09

Lafayette, IN

#4 Apr 23, 2009
Awwwww. Nice article.

Go Tony!
canadian nascar fan

Ancaster, Canada

#5 Apr 23, 2009
Well he should be doing well. He has Hendrick motors and chassis to work with and he's put some pretty smart people in charge to run things. He's got Hendrick's old engine guy as a crew chief who proved it with Johnson last year that he knows what he's doing doing on top of a pit box. Stewart's great start to this year really doesn't surprise me...well maybe just a little bit but only a little.

Since: Jun 08

United States

#6 Apr 23, 2009
well, the only reason he has ever not done this well this early was because he had gotten crashed out... I think qualifying better is the secret to his success so far.. he never cared at JGR and got in bad spots sometimes.. so, I am glad Darian likes to have a better pit selection than Zippy cared about.. and I also have to say that if Tony does get a lap down now, he doesn't throw in the towel like he might have done before.. I think having to be sure about the points early so he didn't have to qualify all year long is what did that for him.. he is still the greatest, most exciting driver out there with Kyle Busch a close second..no one can take it 3 wide like Tony does, right up the middle..

smokeNhot14

“Watch out I am a Killer GRRRRR”

Since: Dec 08

Upstate New York

#7 Apr 23, 2009
Stewiefan wrote:
well, the only reason he has ever not done this well this early was because he had gotten crashed out... I think qualifying better is the secret to his success so far.. he never cared at JGR and got in bad spots sometimes.. so, I am glad Darian likes to have a better pit selection than Zippy cared about.. and I also have to say that if Tony does get a lap down now, he doesn't throw in the towel like he might have done before.. I think having to be sure about the points early so he didn't have to qualify all year long is what did that for him.. he is still the greatest, most exciting driver out there with Kyle Busch a close second..no one can take it 3 wide like Tony does, right up the middle..
Smoke won 2 championships & 30 plus Races .Is nothing ??? Tony had one bad year it happens to all the drivers at one point in their careers. And you listened to TSL he was hurting Or sick it happens .

“I am being sarcastic - really”

Since: Feb 09

Berwyn, IL

#8 Apr 23, 2009
How could you say that he never cared @ JGR? There is no one better than can weave through traffic than Tony so it probably wasn't a priority but I wouldn't say he didn't care.....and Zippy had faith in him. Maybe Darian cares more but don't say Zippy didn't care either. That's not cool.
Stewiefan wrote:

“I am being sarcastic - really”

Since: Feb 09

Berwyn, IL

#9 Apr 23, 2009
Got that right and I am sure stress didn't help his health. With leaving JGR, it took its toll to make that decision. You could tell that @ Daytona.
smokeNhot14 wrote:
<quoted text>Smoke won 2 championships & 30 plus Races .Is nothing ??? Tony had one bad year it happens to all the drivers at one point in their careers. And you listened to TSL he was hurting Or sick it happens .

smokeNhot14

“Watch out I am a Killer GRRRRR”

Since: Dec 08

Upstate New York

#10 Apr 23, 2009
Donalyn17 wrote:
Got that right and I am sure stress didn't help his health. With leaving JGR, it took its toll to make that decision. You could tell that @ Daytona.
<quoted text>
Well you have to take in consideration this person claims every week Mr . Hendrick is giving Smoke bad engines . Even though Smokes lap times are as fast and most of the times faster then Jeff or Jimmy .LMAO Rolling eyes shaking head :)

“Snarky is as Snarky Does!”

Since: Aug 08

Central Pennsylvania

#11 Apr 23, 2009
Donalyn17 wrote:
How could you say that he never cared @ JGR? There is no one better than can weave through traffic than Tony so it probably wasn't a priority but I wouldn't say he didn't care.....and Zippy had faith in him. Maybe Darian cares more but don't say Zippy didn't care either. That's not cool.
<quoted text>
I agree with you...I don't think it was about not caring, I think they decided that working on race set up was way more important. I also think that when they were driving the old style car, it was easier to work your way through the field, so where you started was not as important. Now with this COT, track position is everything, and Hendrick teams figured that out last year, before everyone else, and focused on good qualifying. I don't think that JGR figured that out in 2008.

Darian comes from Hendricks, so he is doing what they have proven works with qualifying and track position. I would also think it would be a lot easier on both the driver and crew chief's nerves to be up front from the beginning, than to play catch-up for half the race
Tony14

Mexico

#12 Apr 27, 2009
He'll win any moment now. I saw this earlier from Tony.

"I'm really proud of (crew chief) Darian Grubb and all our guys on this Office Depot/Old Spice team," Stewart said. "We're just chiseling away. Man, it's like I can taste it. I know it's coming. We're getting there.

"I'm telling you, we're so close. We're going to get us a win here soon. We're not going to let our fans down."

In addition to Stewart's car, Stewart-Haas Racing fields the No. 39 for 2008 Daytona 500 winner Ryan Newman. Newman is 17th in the standings, but after not finishing in the top 20 in the first four races, he hasn't finished out of the top 16 in the past four.

"I don't think any of us knew exactly when this organization was really going to start hitting its stride and start clicking," Stewart said. "But it has right off the bat from Daytona on.

"We go to the racetrack with the attitude that we're going to try to get 100 percent out of whatever we've got that weekend. I think when we sat down early in the year, you look at everything on paper, and it's supposed to be successful. All the pieces are in place. I feel like all the right people are there, all the right tools are there."

Last season, Haas CNC fielded the No. 66 for Scott Riggs and the No. 70, which used six drivers. Riggs finished 31st in the driver standings. The No. 70 placed 43rd in owner points.

"I feel like the biggest key to making all this work is having the right people in the right places and having the right tools in place," Stewart said. "I can't take credit for all of it. I think what we were able to do, what I brought to the table, was helping to attract some other people that they weren't able to attract in the past. I don't think that it's been magic from our side."

That a driver with a history of regular run-ins with the NASCAR hierarchy could become a successful team owner might have surprised some, but Stewart already owned USAC and World of Outlaws cars as well as Eldora Speedway in Ohio. And he had a decade to learn from Gibbs.

"I think I learned a little bit at the beginning with my open-wheel teams that have led to this," Stewart said. "Having somebody like Joe Gibbs, to use his experience as a template for what to do, I used it building our open-wheel programs. Once we started having success there, that gave me the confidence that I might be able to make it work at this level, too."

Being an owner hasn't changed his focus as a driver, Stewart said, but it might have changed his attitude.

"We've been really good about knowing once Friday starts that I switch that hat over and I strictly stay in driver mode," he said. "I catch myself worrying sometimes about where Ryan is, with some of the bad luck he had early in the year. A couple of races, I would ask where he was at. But that's probably the only difference between what I normally would do and what we're doing now.

"Obviously, a win is more kind of an individual feeling, whereas as a team owner you're happy for the whole organization. I think being a car owner has helped put it in perspective -- that it's not just a personal accomplishment. You always know it's a team effort, but when you're at that shop as much as we are and when you're there to build this organization and to see these people come in from all these different great teams and to see it grow, I mean, it makes that satisfaction that much greater."
T

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gene Christensen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tom Cruise drives pace car to start NASCAR Spri... (Feb '09) Sep '09 Cynictologist 2
News Waltrip undecided about future plans (Apr '09) Jun '09 nasfan55 29
News No need for Junior Nation to get carried away (Mar '09) Jun '09 Brittany 48
News Richard Childress Racing's Austin Dillon set fo... (May '09) May '09 Bryon mestre 3
News Michael Waltrip Racing's Michael Waltrip, David... (Mar '09) Apr '09 Lucky Dog 24 6
News Michael Waltrip Racing co-owner says Michael Wa... (Apr '09) Apr '09 Rip Van Winkle 2
News Storms sweep through Midwest, damage several homes (Apr '09) Apr '09 Shut up n drive 1
More from around the web