Zucker happy with crowd

Zucker happy with crowd

There are 14 comments on the San Bernardino County Sun story from Feb 22, 2009, titled Zucker happy with crowd. In it, San Bernardino County Sun reports that:

Auto Club Speedway president Gillian Zucker admitted she arguably has the toughest sales job in NASCAR Nation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Bernardino County Sun.

BobC

Stanton, CA

#1 Feb 23, 2009
I think that the easiest way to boost attendance, would be to allow the people in the infield free admission to the general admission seats. They already pay $100 per infield wristband.
Bob

Lake Mary, FL

#2 Feb 23, 2009
Zucker needs her head examined. You cant blame a half full grandstand on the poor economy. The LA Coliseum has approx the same number of seats as the Fontana track, yet it doesnt have problems selling out. If only 55,000 people showed up for a trojans game, Pete Carroll would probably be fired. And the AD as well! Face it, the overly restrictive smoking and drinking policies of the track coupled with the BORING racing is what is causing empty seats. Why sit in traffic for 3 hours each way and have to buy expensive, warm beer when you can stay home and watch it on tv- cold beer close by in the fridge, clean restroom just down the hall, no line, etc...NASCAR needs to do Zucker (and race fans) a favor- give one of Fontana's dates back to Rockingham and give the other one to Darlington or Kentucky. Any of them will have more than 55,000 people in the stands, and it wont cost the teams as much as driving across the country...
Dusty

United States

#3 Feb 23, 2009
CA doesn't care about NASCAR. Take both dates. The irrelevant technology and American drivers who can barely speak English doesn’t play well out here.
Go to Long Beach and watch the ALMS on Satuday and the Indy Cars on Sunday. ALMS is the best racing series around.
Go Zucker

Ontario, CA

#4 Feb 23, 2009
Zucker is a leader and not afraid to do a job. Keep up the good work! Your Upland friends!
Brian France sucks

Jersey City, NJ

#5 Feb 23, 2009
What a joke. NASCAR is being killed by trying to keep races in a market that doesnt care about it!
AlwaysThinking

Arcadia, CA

#6 Feb 23, 2009
NASCAR does have a following in California, but where Zucker has totally missed the boat is trying to market the speedway as "California" or part of L.A. She actually said some time back she wanted to attract people from L.A. and even Hollywood... duh! Fontana is nowhere near L.A., and everyone but Zucker knows it. Thats not were NASCAR fans are... they are here in the I.E. And how about the ticket prices?$100 for bleacher seats? Are you kidding me? make it affordable and know your market - the speedway needs a president that knows California just as much as racing, which Zucker doesn't - and if she doesn't by now, she never will.

Since: Feb 09

Calimesa, CA

#7 Feb 23, 2009
I agree with AlwaysThinking. The prices should go down, they would make up the difference by volume of tickets sold. I disagree with Brian France sucks. CA does love NASCAR if the number of people I saw yesterday at the race is any indication. There was a huge number of people at the track Sunday. They were are wearing their favorite driver's color/logo. They had their cameras, scanners, and signs ready to support their drivers. If you want NASCAR to survive, NASCAR has to stay national, hence race on the west coast. If it goes back to a regional sport, it will die.
javi

La Canada Flintridge, CA

#8 Feb 23, 2009
Brian France sucks wrote:
What a joke. NASCAR is being killed by trying to keep races in a market that doesnt care about it!
isnt that the reason that nascar left the irwindale speedway
javi

La Canada Flintridge, CA

#9 Feb 23, 2009
AlwaysThinking wrote:
NASCAR does have a following in California, but where Zucker has totally missed the boat is trying to market the speedway as "California" or part of L.A. She actually said some time back she wanted to attract people from L.A. and even Hollywood... duh! Fontana is nowhere near L.A., and everyone but Zucker knows it. Thats not were NASCAR fans are... they are here in the I.E. And how about the ticket prices?$100 for bleacher seats? Are you kidding me? make it affordable and know your market - the speedway needs a president that knows California just as much as racing, which Zucker doesn't - and if she doesn't by now, she never will.
it would make more sense to name the speedway such as : etiwanda speedway(the area where the speedway is at was considered etiwanda), fontana speedway, rancho cucamonga speedway, inland empire speedway. that way it gives more emphasis in the local region. california speedway was an awful name. so is the auto club speedway. if you connect the track to a local region, you get more people. also relaxing the smoking and drinking laws. you will get more people
Esadler19fan

Princeton, NJ

#10 Feb 23, 2009
I think it is good to be mindful of both cigarette smoking and adult beverage consumption. That said, there is a compromise in there somewhere at a track with such significant seating capacity, no? I do believe it makes sense to have at least one race at that track but first they must improve the quality of racing. From there, they could move on to the ticket pricing, seating arrangements related to smoking/drinking, and lastly, work on the track name.
gaboon viper

Fontana, CA

#11 Feb 23, 2009
auto racing, horse racing, boring, oudated, doesn't appeal to the youth! ship it to mexico!

“Go Red Wings!!!”

Since: Oct 07

Plainfield Township MI

#12 Feb 23, 2009
If they can't sell out they don't deserve 2 dates. Isn't that why the took Darlington away from Labor Day weekend? At least Darlington is fun to watch. California is the most boring track there is on the circuit...except maybe MIS.
Go Away Zucker

San Bernardino, CA

#13 Feb 24, 2009
How much money does the speedway make from 50,000 empty seats? The answer: Nothing. Zucker, and her twisted sense of how to rip off her customers, really needs to be replaced. She should have listened the the advice that NASCAR driver tried to give to her - he knows more about properly running a large public event than she apparently does. Until they lower their prices, I'm boycotting their events, and I urge you to do the same.
Bob

Long Beach, CA

#14 Feb 24, 2009
This track should never have been built in San Bernardino County. It would have done better in L.A. or Orange counties.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elliott Sadler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Elliott Sadler (Sep '13) Sep '13 Mike 1
News Elliott Sadler not happy after Regan Smith spin... (Jul '13) Jul '13 RaceAmerica 1
Friends and Family (Aug '08) Jul '13 theo 1,534
News Elliott Sadler gets chance in car at Kansas (Apr '13) Apr '13 Barr 2
News Jeff Burton Getting New Crew Chief (Oct '12) Oct '12 Riders 3
News Lap-by-Lap (Oct '12) Oct '12 Carole 1
News Breast Cancer Survivors, NASCAR stars kick off ... (Oct '12) Oct '12 auto world 1
More from around the web