ES at Auto Club 500-Qualifying to Aft...

ES at Auto Club 500-Qualifying to After Race

Posted in the Elliott Sadler Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Feb 09

United States

#1 Feb 20, 2009
ES did not qualify all that well, but he has plenty of those who finished top 5 or 10 in the race last week around him. I think many of the teams are just having to search for the good setup since they did not have testing and had to more or less hope to have the car right when they unload?

Here's where they qualified:

Pos-------Driver--------Qual Speed
8----A.J. Allmendinger---182.048
17----Reed Sorenson------181.429
20----Elliott Sadler-----181.173
22----Kasey Kahne--------181.132

AJ did the best of the RPM drivers mainly because he has a good car and went out so late (46th of 48th cars)when the grip was so much better that when ES went (23rd) he was able to push it harder through the corners and the car just stuck! its going to be that way till after the 5th race and is in the top 35 in points? Then he will not have that advantage unless he draws a late qualifying position!
TaMyJaxFL

Blackshear, GA

#2 Feb 21, 2009
I admit I'm not an AJ fan, so probably my opinion is slanted, but, WHY do we keep seeing interviews with him? And no one (especially DW) will ask him the tough questions. He is constantly softballed! Then it seems as though ES is ignored. Ok, he didn't win the Daytona 500 but WOW he did an AWESOME job! To almost lose his job to leading the 500 - but that was ignored? It's as though RPM(GEM) have shoved him aside.
Help keep me straight, please. Is it just me or are the good ol boys being pushed aside for the Divas? Tell me your point of view. JUST CURIOUS.
Esadler19fan

Princeton, NJ

#3 Feb 21, 2009
Unfortunately AJ is the "flavor of the month" these days. Elliott's stats over the past few years, along with his age, put him in the hot seat this season. He will have to produce significant results this year in the standings and even win a race possibly to land a decent ride for 2010. Can't see Petty Motorsports offering him another contract after trying to eliminate him before the start of 2009.
***It will be all about the stats in the WIN column not the JUNK he's driven at GEM***
Mikey fan

Rossford, OH

#4 Feb 21, 2009
Esadler19fan wrote:
Unfortunately AJ is the "flavor of the month" these days. Elliott's stats over the past few years, along with his age, put him in the hot seat this season. He will have to produce significant results this year in the standings and even win a race possibly to land a decent ride for 2010. Can't see Petty Motorsports offering him another contract after trying to eliminate him before the start of 2009.
***It will be all about the stats in the WIN column not the JUNK he's driven at GEM***
Oh well..it looks like, if he had stayed with Yates,he might not have a sponsor or be driving at all sooner. Right now, it looks like Gibbs, Hendricks, Rousch and Childress are the "big 4." Who knows?..anyone driving for anyone other than them may be out of a job by 2010.
TaMyJaxFL

Blackshear, GA

#5 Feb 21, 2009
Mikey fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh well..it looks like, if he had stayed with Yates,he might not have a sponsor or be driving at all sooner. Right now, it looks like Gibbs, Hendricks, Rousch and Childress are the "big 4." Who knows?..anyone driving for anyone other than them may be out of a job by 2010.
I've talked with a lot of people who say because of the "big 4" with the "big $" they've given up on NASCAR. Saying that it's no longer a sport but a "battle of the bucks", they're telling me that they're more interested in the local tracks.
Okay, I get their point. Example: I'm not a big Mayfield fan but I don't think he stands a chance at winning. BUT, even at the local level, it's MONEY TALK$. Is there a way to level the playing field? Does the little guy (or the older guy) have a chance? What do you think?
Also (just curious) if ES doesn't get a ride next year, is it possible to make a living at the "Local tracks"?

United States

#6 Feb 21, 2009
TaMyJaxFL wrote:
I admit I'm not an AJ fan, so probably my opinion is slanted, but, WHY do we keep seeing interviews with him? And no one (especially DW) will ask him the tough questions. He is constantly softballed! Then it seems as though ES is ignored. Ok, he didn't win the Daytona 500 but WOW he did an AWESOME job! To almost lose his job to leading the 500 - but that was ignored? It's as though RPM(GEM) have shoved him aside.
Help keep me straight, please. Is it just me or are the good ol boys being pushed aside for the Divas? Tell me your point of view. JUST CURIOUS.
Well I think he got plenty of attention for his run in the Daytona 500 everywhere but SpeedTV and Fox. Did you see the post race interviews Sunday? They had Kevin Harvick, ES and AJ together and after each made an opening statement, ES was the one getting nearly all the questions and AJ got none. Why you may ask..well even though Harvick finished 2nd, AJ finished 3rd and ES finished 5th, everyone there knew that ES was just seconds away from winning the Daytona 500! They saw something in ES that they didn't last year...him being totally disappointed in not winning instead of just happy he finished well! You will see those on Fox and SpeedTV that give AJ more credit when he does well that you will when ES does, mainly because there are some who host those broadcast that thinks AJ should have gotten ES's ride! hey feel ES only kept it because of the the treat of a Law suit?

United States

#7 Feb 21, 2009
TaMyJaxFL wrote:
<quoted text>
I've talked with a lot of people who say because of the "big 4" with the "big $" they've given up on NASCAR. Saying that it's no longer a sport but a "battle of the bucks", they're telling me that they're more interested in the local tracks.
Okay, I get their point. Example: I'm not a big Mayfield fan but I don't think he stands a chance at winning. BUT, even at the local level, it's MONEY TALK$. Is there a way to level the playing field? Does the little guy (or the older guy) have a chance? What do you think?
Also (just curious) if ES doesn't get a ride next year, is it possible to make a living at the "Local tracks"?
He miight try to race in lower divisions or locally, but I feel he might try the broadcasting thing as first? That is if someone in cup doesn't offer him a ride? No matter if you do have the big 4 dominating Cup racing you will always have others fielding some competitive cars!
cak

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Feb 21, 2009
esadlern1fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I think he got plenty of attention for his run in the Daytona 500 everywhere but SpeedTV and Fox. Did you see the post race interviews Sunday? They had Kevin Harvick, ES and AJ together and after each made an opening statement, ES was the one getting nearly all the questions and AJ got none. Why you may ask..well even though Harvick finished 2nd, AJ finished 3rd and ES finished 5th, everyone there knew that ES was just seconds away from winning the Daytona 500! They saw something in ES that they didn't last year...him being totally disappointed in not winning instead of just happy he finished well! You will see those on Fox and SpeedTV that give AJ more credit when he does well that you will when ES does, mainly because there are some who host those broadcast that thinks AJ should have gotten ES's ride! hey feel ES only kept it because of the the treat of a Law suit?
I really don't like that AJ Buttlicker guy AT ALL! And if his wife thinks that hes "bringing sexy back" she is blind and delusional. He if definately the least sexy of the 4 team members! Why am I being so mean today?! Anyway, that interview was heart breaking but it showed that he got the kick in the butt wake up call that he needed and I'm looking for great things from him this season. He doesn't have a choice if he wants a ride next year.
Carole3441

Milwaukee, WI

#9 Feb 21, 2009
Hi Everybody--All of your posts are right on the money. Elliott MUST do better this year. I watched Trackside last night with AJ and I agree those 4 commentators really gave him topics to boof his ego. Talks well but only about himself. I felt really bad because I didn't see one sign for Elliott and you used to see many in the crowd. This season is really a 'wait and see' for him. Hoping and praying but one never knows.
cak

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Feb 21, 2009
He showed his character when he admitted that he left Elliott up top during Daytona because he didn't want to lose his own position. That might be understandable under normal circumtances but since Elliott and Reed both gave up positions during the Duel to get that little punk in the race it seems to me it was payback time. Not sure he can be counted on to be a team mate.

Since: May 07

Kerrville, TX

#11 Feb 21, 2009
Definitely agree with Carole - posts are all on the money.

Did hear that ES is suppose to have an interview on Race Day (tomorrow). Hope it's a good one and maybe he can (possibly) put a great spin on things and bring his fans back.

Sexy back to NASCAR? What the hell is that about?

“Life is EXACTLY what u make it”

Since: Aug 08

Hershey, PA...chillin' in SC!

#12 Feb 21, 2009
cak wrote:
He showed his character when he admitted that he left Elliott up top during Daytona because he didn't want to lose his own position. That might be understandable under normal circumtances but since Elliott and Reed both gave up positions during the Duel to get that little punk in the race it seems to me it was payback time. Not sure he can be counted on to be a team mate.
As usual cak, i TOTALLY agree with that statement!! I have been saying that since I got finished hollerin and screamin at the end of the Daytona race. AJ did NOTHING to help E and that ticked me off b/c E and Reed gave up tHEIR track position to get that punks a$$ in the race to begin with...sorry I am feeling rather mean myself today!
cak

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Feb 21, 2009
Theo, I guess Buttlicker's wife made the comment that her husband "is bringing sexy back to NASCAR." I didn't see it myself but others did. Ain't nothing sexy about that putz!
Lisa in MN

Cottage Grove, MN

#14 Feb 21, 2009
This is me watching all the Speed coverage:

"AJ Allmendinger this and AJ Allmendinger that...."
"Why doesn't AJ just become the Petty Motorsports mascot?"
"Why can't AJ just go back to the trucks?"

Hubby: "What do you want for dinner?"
Me: "I don't know...why don't we ask AJ Allmendinger since he's the greatest?"

Hubby: "Where is the sugar?"
Me: "I dont know...why don't you ask AJ Allmendinger, because he's so sweet."

It went on and on like that all day and now as I'm typing, they are talking about him again. UGH! AJ can just go away! Him and his Elvis hair!

Unfortunately, none of the Petty cars are fast in practice, so it may be a long day tomorrow.
Esadler19fan

Princeton, NJ

#15 Feb 21, 2009
AJ will continue to receive a great deal of attention until he either makes a boneheaded move during a race or drives lousy resulting in bottom 30 finish.

#16 Feb 21, 2009
Esadler19fan wrote:
AJ will continue to receive a great deal of attention until he either makes a boneheaded move during a race or drives lousy resulting in bottom 30 finish.
Its alright, at some point he will be like Busch. Get all cocky throughout the season and then fall HARD during the Chase!

I personal do not see what all the hype is, he is cocky, annoying, self-centered and so NOT sexy!

United States

#17 Feb 22, 2009
Hey, AJ still has t qualify for 3 more races before this year points locks him into the field and he will not have the other 3 RPM driver to push him there. Funny how Joey Logano was the hot thing going into the season and now it AJ just because he finish top 5 in the 500 and lucks out that he went out nearly last and was able to push the car harder into the turns because of the extra grip going out so late gave him. I say he is just lucky so far and it will not be that way all season!

#18 Feb 22, 2009
All i know is that EVERY NASCAR show so far has made sure to mention him...its completely ANNOYING! That guy needs to get over himself or E needs to hire AJ's publicist! Yu cant get through any of the shows on Speed w/o hearing SOMETHING about Dingleberry! ARGGGGG!

United States

#19 Feb 23, 2009
I sent this in an Email to the Sirius Nascar's Morning Drive:

I know that the testing ban has supposedly save some of the teams money, but it has also caused the gap between the haveís and the have notís to widen! If you are a team that already has a setup that works well at a track then you are already set for that track and donít need the testing to make it that much better! During the race weekend all you need to do is tweak it a bit during your practices. If you are a team that has not found a good setup for that track and you donít have testing to try different things then you have to use your practices to try them and hope that you find something that works? Often you are stuck with something on races day that may or may not help you run better, but is no where close to what the Haveís are running and there is no chance of you being competitive! Take Sundays race for instance! The leaders were at times running laps that were 6-8 MPH faster than 3 quarters of the rest of the field! The rest of the time the top 5 or 6 was still 3-5 MPH faster that those outside of the top ten! The ones that said a testing ban should close the gap between the haveís and the have not's are either trying to put a good face on something bad or just plain idiots!!!!

Since ES was pretty good at Vegas in the 3rd race last year, then they should be good again? Didn't he overcome a pit road speeding penalty to finish 12th?
lmra323

Baltimore, MD

#20 Feb 23, 2009
During the race yesterday, did anyone hear them say AJ may be going to a new open wheel series here in the US? Sounded like Formula 1 but here in the States.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elliott Sadler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Elliott Sadler (Sep '13) Sep '13 Mike 1
News Elliott Sadler not happy after Regan Smith spin... (Jul '13) Jul '13 RaceAmerica 1
Friends and Family (Aug '08) Jul '13 theo 1,534
News Elliott Sadler gets chance in car at Kansas (Apr '13) Apr '13 Barr 2
News Jeff Burton Getting New Crew Chief (Oct '12) Oct '12 Riders 3
News Lap-by-Lap (Oct '12) Oct '12 Carole 1
News Breast Cancer Survivors, NASCAR stars kick off ... (Oct '12) Oct '12 auto world 1