NASCAR driver donates plane to take Gastonia doctors to Haiti

The Lumiere Medical Ministries team bound for Haiti has grown. What started as a two-person team slated to survey the needs of the earthquake-rattled area has grown to include seven doctors, four nurses and a priest. Full Story
EJoy

Houston, TX

#1 Jan 18, 2010
Mikey waltrip is a stand up guy! Cudos
BigE

Greensboro, NC

#2 Jan 18, 2010
EJoy wrote:
Yeah boy!!

Do you suppose he called the newspapers before he made the commitment or after?

Seemed liked the thing to do since Rick Hendrick did it last week. Ever wonder how many others pitched in without the publicity?

But then again, he needs sponsor money and publicity!
Props

Dallas, TX

#3 Jan 18, 2010
EJoy wrote:
He's a sweetheart and funny.
Props

Dallas, TX

#4 Jan 18, 2010
BigE wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah boy!!
Do you suppose he called the newspapers before he made the commitment or after?
Seemed liked the thing to do since Rick Hendrick did it last week. Ever wonder how many others pitched in without the publicity?
But then again, he needs sponsor money and publicity!
Sour grapes? Did Michael pee in your cheerios?
Nicole

Chicago, IL

#5 Jan 18, 2010
Rick H donated a plane as well. Stepping up when it counts. Both deserve a pat on the back setting aside personal opinions on either despite their shady past. Good deeds get rewarded 10 fold.
Nicole

Chicago, IL

#6 Jan 18, 2010
Props wrote:
<quoted text>Sour grapes? Did Michael pee in your cheerios?
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!
43 rules

Quantico, VA

#7 Jan 20, 2010
The most important thing to keep in mind here is that it is up to each and everyone of us to insure that the innocent victims in Haiti do not have to count on the charity of some two bit a-hole like Michael Waltrip.

Open your wallets and give to the Red Cross, help the professionals help these poor people.
Hendrick Motor Sports

Denver, CO

#8 Jan 21, 2010
43 rules wrote:
The most important thing to keep in mind here is that it is up to each and everyone of us to insure that the innocent victims in Haiti do not have to count on the charity of some two bit a-hole like Michael Waltrip.
Open your wallets and give to the Red Cross, help the professionals help these poor people.
Don't kid yourself, if that plane wasn't going to Florida anyway that flight never would have happened.
You want to know how to "donate" a corporate aircraft to this effort? Read Jayskis about what Rick Hendrick is doing with one of his planes.
Royce

Los Angeles, CA

#9 Jan 21, 2010
Hendrick Motor Sports wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't kid yourself, if that plane wasn't going to Florida anyway that flight never would have happened.
You want to know how to "donate" a corporate aircraft to this effort? Read Jayskis about what Rick Hendrick is doing with one of his planes.
There's two planes he donated was the second one going to Florida too? He's loaded why wouldn't/couldn't he send the plane? People are good generally. People do good things out of the kindness of their hearts.
chrisco

North Richland Hills, TX

#10 Jan 24, 2010
Royce wrote:
<quoted text>There's two planes he donated was the second one going to Florida too? He's loaded why wouldn't/couldn't he send the plane? People are good generally. People do good things out of the kindness of their hearts.
Hendrick appears to have donated the dedicated use of two aircraft of significant size (45 passenger???) to make round trips between the US mainland and the island. Had to seek special clearance from the FAA.

POS made his personal jet for a single trip from North Carolina to South Florida where the doctors boarded a Hendrick aircraft for the trip to Haiti.(and apparently they were just riding on an available empty seats on an already scheduled MWR business trip to Florida)

Kudos to Hendrick and his aircraft staff for volunteering everything, money, machinery and manpower. Strikes me as a man with significant means making a significant donation of resources.(not to mention to good people of Lowe's anteing up $1,000,000 cash, what has NAPA, Aarons, Best Western, done???) I do see that the charcole in an disposable aluminum pan donated some unsold inventory - in case the Haitans need to grill up some dirt.

Merkin's looks more and more like a token pr move. Probably would have been cheaper for him to write a check for coach tickets on US air.

The previous poster is dead on, its up to you and me to make sure these piss poor God fearing victims of mother nature don't have to count on the Merk for anything through this time of crisis.

That said, helping get those doctors to Florida (even though it took Rick Hendrick to get them where they needed to be). Those doctors I'm sure are working tirelessly doing untold and never to be known good. We will know everything I'm sure that Merkin does however trivial and superficial.
Other Peoples Money

Newtown, CT

#11 Jan 24, 2010
Don't worry this Mikey isn't spending his own money!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elizabeth Waltrip Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Questioning if Trevor Bayne can still drive in ... (Nov '13) Nov '13 TexasRaider 3
Racin' With Jason: Trevor Bayne's multiple scle... (Nov '13) Nov '13 dolly 1
David Reutimann lands a Cup ride with Tommy Bal... (Jan '12) Sep '12 Triple C 13
For MWR, Three's Company (Jun '12) Jul '12 acrim 4
Michael Waltrip Racing makes statement with Cli... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Dillinger 3
Three-Way Driver Swap For Pocono After Busch Su... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Triple C 1
David Reutimann: Why Stupid Driving Like That I... (Apr '12) May '12 Jorge 5
More from around the web