Jimmie Johnson chases NASCAR greats

Nov 20, 2009 | Posted by: The New Twenty | Full story: www.freep.com

Jimmie Johnson will never match the feats of Junior Johnson off the track. Few racers could, or should even try.

Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Nov 23, 2009
MISSU3

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2009

Judged:

This elevates JJ above Gordon who is ONLY a 4 time champ not a 4 times in a ROW champ and of course, pass Cale, which won't make Cale happy either. Chad and JJ have this system figured out. NASCAR better come up with another game because these guys are on to them. Never root for Hendricks, but it is a piece of NASCAR history being made on Sunday.
no way

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2009

Judged:

MISSU3 wrote:
This elevates JJ above Gordon who is ONLY a 4 time champ not a 4 times in a ROW champ and of course, pass Cale, which won't make Cale happy either. Chad and JJ have this system figured out. NASCAR better come up with another game because these guys are on to them. Never root for Hendricks, but it is a piece of NASCAR history being made on Sunday.
no jeff has more wins
The Fat and the Furious

Northville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2009

no way wrote:
<quoted text>no jeff has more wins
That's true, but he's also raced in Cup twice as long. We'll be able to really judge when Jimmie gets some more years in. Than we'll have a better sense of whether or not he remains consistent and continues to win races and championships. There was a time when a lot of people believed that Jeff would be the one to equal, or even surpass, what Petty and Earnhardt put up for championships. That's looking unlikely now, but we'll see how much longer he races and what he can accomplish before he retires. Jimmie is now the one who is looking like he has the best shot to equal or surpass Petty and Earnhardt. So, only time will tell where they both stack up when all is said and done.

I do agree with MISSU3 though. Championship wise, 4 in a row has to outweigh 4 over a longer period of years, especially considering that it's something that has never been accomplished throughout the history of Nascar. Setting records should outweigh simply equaling or falling short of them. This is all assuming that Jimmie pulls it off when the checkered flag waves at Homestead. My money would be that he will, but nothing is for certain until they cross that finish line.

I'm not ready to say Jimmie has surpassed Jeff in the Nascar annals. He may have a slight lead if he wins this 4th or Jeff may have, I guess it depends on your point of view, but Jeff still may race for several years and Jimmie may not be able to sustain the longevity of competitiveness that Jeff has. Once again, I believe that he will, but only time will tell. Either way, they will both go down in history as 2 of the best who ever competed, regardless of any future accomplishments or disappointments. They both already are locks for the HOF, now it's just a matter of how high they stand in the Hall.

“48 48 48 48”

Since: Oct 09

Hemet, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2009

Judged:

He's catching Nascar greats;

“IMAGINE no religion!”

Since: Feb 09

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2009

Judged:

Jimmy Johnson Fanatic wrote:
He's catching Nascar greats;
he IS a nascar great!

it was a great race!

it was great being there!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ed Rensi Discussions

Search the Ed Rensi Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Bobby Hamilton Jr. hopes to purchase Tenn. track (Aug '10) Dec '12 ThomasA 11
April Fooled: NASCAR Hoax Causes Web Frenzy (Apr '09) Oct '11 brian929 136
Al Lesar: Stewart unplugged (Aug '11) Aug '11 ruttrosmokesmojo 1
Carl Edwards re-signs with Roush Fenway Racing (Aug '11) Aug '11 TexasRaider 5
Menard pulls off upset win at Indy (Jul '11) Aug '11 Whoyakidding 5
TD Bank 250: Busch banks win (Jul '11) Jul '11 Racing Granny 2
Pocky's Paddock: Kevin Harvick warned by NASCAR... (Jul '11) Jul '11 say what 8
•••
•••