it's a Long Shot, but Martin Can Stil...

it's a Long Shot, but Martin Can Still Win the Championship

There are 16 comments on the AllLeftTurns.com story from Nov 18, 2009, titled it's a Long Shot, but Martin Can Still Win the Championship. In it, AllLeftTurns.com reports that:

Jimmie Johnson's win last weekend in Phoenix seemed to put the final touches on his fourth straight championship run.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at AllLeftTurns.com.

Jamie Juice

Dallas, TX

#1 Nov 18, 2009
Is this thing over yet? yawn zzzzzzzzzzzzz! yawn. Not one exciting race in the final 10. Very little excitement throughout the year. By changing the cars to this configuration they have taken all the excitement out of racing. I used to go to multiple races, then I started watching 90% of the races I didn't go to on tv----now I just Tivo them and actually watch about 20% of the races. I used to watch Bristol without fail--now it to is a snooze fest. Talledega really was bad this last time. What race was there any excitement at with the exception of Daytona in February--not for the racing which wasn't bad buy just because it was the first race. The seats are very seldom sold out (don't blame the economy--has anyone seen a significant change in NFL attendance?) ratings are down--NASCAR is lowering prices--major sponsors are saying good bye and not just the car companies.
NASCAR needs excitement--needs Earnhardt, Gordon, Stewart, or either one of the Busch brothers in the hunt.(check baseball ratings with Yankees in it). I have NOTHING against J. Johnson--they deserve everything the have achieved....clearly the best overall team with a driver that without a doubt is the most consistent. But this is like Tim Duncan winning an NBA title as it just does not feel the same as when Kobe or Kevin Garnett/celtics have won. One word--boring. When the only exciting thing going on is the remote possibility of Mark Martin winning I think that says it all. I'll bet the ratings for Homestead will be terrible. Get rid of all the 1.5 mile tracks too

“lets go matt!!!!!”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#2 Nov 18, 2009
it jimmie wreaks then its anybodys game again

Since: Nov 09

Tifton, GA

#3 Nov 18, 2009
Jamie Juice wrote:
I used to go to multiple races, then I started watching 90% of the races I didn't go to on tv----now I just Tivo them and actually watch about 20% of the races. I used to
I... I... I... don't give two sh1ts about you. I don't even know you. Can you please explain how anyone should care wtf you do on race day?
Mary

Fredericksburg, VA

#4 Nov 18, 2009
I'd love to see Mark win it, not just because it would be so cool & popular, but also because it would be SO good for NASCAR, & we can get ESPN to SHUT UP about Johnson too!
nascar fan

Cincinnati, OH

#5 Nov 20, 2009
I would love to see mark win because he is alot better than johnson but the chase only favers jimmie. so next year the champ will be jj because he is so damn lucky and I getting tired of seeing jj win the championship every year. If it was the old points jj would only have one championship not 3 or 4 so get rid of the chase or rename it the jimmie johnson cup.
The Fat and the Furious

Canton, MI

#6 Nov 21, 2009
nascar fan wrote:
I would love to see mark win because he is alot better than johnson but the chase only favers jimmie. so next year the champ will be jj because he is so damn lucky and I getting tired of seeing jj win the championship every year. If it was the old points jj would only have one championship not 3 or 4 so get rid of the chase or rename it the jimmie johnson cup.
*YAWN* At least you got 1 thing correct. Jimmie will win it again next year. You sure have a strange definition of better though. A guy who has raced 20 years longer, yet has 0 Cup championships and less wins. Yea, the facts sure support you on that one. Don't get me wrong, I like Mark and all, but let's not talk insanely about him being better than someone who's accomplishments in Cup far, far outweigh his.

As far as your statement about how many championships Jimmie would have in the old points system, I've already given reasons why there's no way to determine that, so I'll not go into them again. I could just as easily say that he'd have 5/6 in that system and it would hold just as much merit as your statement. I suppose you can be one of those people, who like to pretend that nothing changes because of the different point system, but the only person your fooling is yourself. All those guys had the same opportunity to win that Jimmie had, so how does the system favor Jimmie? If the rest of the field isn't good enough to compete for those 10 races, what makes you think that they'd stand a chance in 36 races? You see, it's no real secret that the 48 team uses the first 26 races to prepare for the final 10. You obviously have to perform in those first 26, but you win the championship by dominating the last 10. That's why you can see a race like Phoenix, where Jimmie finished 4th I believe earlier in the year, yet he dominated there when it really counted. You see, others come back with what they had and the 48 comes back with what they learned. That's not called luck, that's called greatness, because that's how you win championships in this point system. Jimmie didn't invent the system, so discrediting his accomplishments because of it, is just plain ridiculous.
WWE NASCAR

Sandy Hook, CT

#7 Nov 21, 2009
What's amazing is this is the final weekend of NASCAR, and nobody cares. The NASCAR season starts out with great interest and then just kind of fizzles out; the Chase is so stupid! The truck (what a joke) race had nobody in the stands. The Nationwide attendence will also be poor.

What would make the Homestead racing interesting is if Jr would crash out Johnson and Gordon early in the race. It could be the crowning achievement of Jr's career.

Tifton, GA

#8 Nov 21, 2009
The Fat and the Furious wrote:
<quoted text> You see, others come back with what they had and the 48 comes back with what they learned. That's not called luck, that's called greatness, because that's how you win championships in this point system. Jimmie didn't invent the system, so discrediting his accomplishments because of it, is just plain ridiculous.
Awesome post, entirely, although it's a bit in the over-kill ranks for responding to such a simple-minded comment. lol

Still, it's a fabulous read and a definate face-shutter for JJ haters.
nascar fan

Cincinnati, OH

#9 Nov 21, 2009
cale yarborough won his championships by doing good all year long not in a ten race sprint he won more races more top 5s more top 10s than jj

“"drive for five in'10"”

Since: Jan 07

Your the Man!

#10 Nov 21, 2009
The Fat and the Furious wrote:
<quoted text>*YAWN* At least you got 1 thing correct. Jimmie will win it again next year. You sure have a strange definition of better though. A guy who has raced 20 years longer, yet has 0 Cup championships and less wins. Yea, the facts sure support you on that one. Don't get me wrong, I like Mark and all, but let's not talk insanely about him being better than someone who's accomplishments in Cup far, far outweigh his.
As far as your statement about how many championships Jimmie would have in the old points system, I've already given reasons why there's no way to determine that, so I'll not go into them again. I could just as easily say that he'd have 5/6 in that system and it would hold just as much merit as your statement. I suppose you can be one of those people, who like to pretend that nothing changes because of the different point system, but the only person your fooling is yourself. All those guys had the same opportunity to win that Jimmie had, so how does the system favor Jimmie? If the rest of the field isn't good enough to compete for those 10 races, what makes you think that they'd stand a chance in 36 races? You see, it's no real secret that the 48 team uses the first 26 races to prepare for the final 10. You obviously have to perform in those first 26, but you win the championship by dominating the last 10. That's why you can see a race like Phoenix, where Jimmie finished 4th I believe earlier in the year, yet he dominated there when it really counted. You see, others come back with what they had and the 48 comes back with what they learned. That's not called luck, that's called greatness, because that's how you win championships in this point system. Jimmie didn't invent the system, so discrediting his accomplishments because of it, is just plain ridiculous.
Good post and dead on. Thank you. Go Jimmie! Lets wrap it up!

“"drive for five in'10"”

Your the Man!

#11 Nov 21, 2009
WWE NASCAR wrote:
What's amazing is this is the final weekend of NASCAR, and nobody cares. The NASCAR season starts out with great interest and then just kind of fizzles out; the Chase is so stupid! The truck (what a joke) race had nobody in the stands. The Nationwide attendence will also be poor.
What would make the Homestead racing interesting is if Jr would crash out Johnson and Gordon early in the race. It could be the crowning achievement of Jr's career.
Why would Jr. want to take out his team mates? It wouldn't benefit him.
nascar fan

Cincinnati, OH

#12 Nov 21, 2009
I dont hate jj but I am tired of seeing him win all the time. the reason why the chase favers jj is because the only time he does very good is the last 10 races. jj would of lost the championship for the last two years because in 2007 jeff gordon had an over 300 point lead over jj before the chase if you dont think I am right just add the point up the old way. and last year after jj was the champ I went on nascar.com and looked at the points carl edwards had an 16 point lead over jj. this is the reason why I hate the chase you need to win every week to win the championship. matt kenseth would have lost his championship to jj if it was the chase and matt was doing good all year until the last ten races.
WWE NASCAR

Sandy Hook, CT

#13 Nov 21, 2009
jimmy48 wrote:
<quoted text>Why would Jr. want to take out his team mates? It wouldn't benefit him.
Its not that he'd want to, he just can't help himself.

Tifton, GA

#14 Nov 21, 2009
nascar fan wrote:
I dont hate jj but I am tired of seeing him win all the time. the reason why the chase favers jj is because the only time he does very good is the last 10 races. jj would of lost the championship for the last two years because in 2007 jeff gordon had an over 300 point lead over jj before the chase if you dont think I am right just add the point up the old way. and last year after jj was the champ I went on nascar.com and looked at the points carl edwards had an 16 point lead over jj. this is the reason why I hate the chase you need to win every week to win the championship. matt kenseth would have lost his championship to jj if it was the chase and matt was doing good all year until the last ten races.
The only thing is your variable:'IF'

IF you 'apply the old system' to the new race results, yes. But IF the drivers all started the season knowing they were under the old points system, they wouldn't use the same strategy.

We can speculate that Chad Knaus definately has a good strategy. His 1st 26 races are quite impressive but it's safe to say that there's a lot of experimentation in those less critical races which are used to collect data for use in the final 10. That's when he brings every asset in his arsenal to the show and has minimal guesswork and zero trial and error involved.

The old points system is a different challenge, because you cant afford to throw anything away with experimenting. You really need a substantial points lead to lower the risk factor in trying something new or untested. It's a lot about just bringing your best game and going to work. The winners under this system may likely be the ones who have GOOD days and collect the most points on those days when others have Bad days.

Actually, this is how the chase benefits the non-chasers, and those who fall out of contention during... once there's little to lose, you can use races as testing sessions to get stronger for next season.

“"drive for five in'10"”

Your the Man!

#15 Nov 21, 2009
WWE NASCAR wrote:
<quoted text>
Its not that he'd want to, he just can't help himself.
Gotcha. Hahahahaha

8388 (this is not good for someone. One is going down)
nascar fan

Cincinnati, OH

#16 Nov 21, 2009
jj is on the pole which means he is safer from wreaking and losing the championship but anything can happen like a flat tire and speeding in the pits.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ed Rensi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bobby Hamilton Jr. hopes to purchase Tenn. track (Aug '10) Dec '12 ThomasA 11
News April Fooled: NASCAR Hoax Causes Web Frenzy (Apr '09) Oct '11 brian929 136
News Al Lesar: Stewart unplugged (Aug '11) Aug '11 ruttrosmokesmojo 1
News Carl Edwards re-signs with Roush Fenway Racing (Aug '11) Aug '11 TexasRaider 5
News Menard pulls off upset win at Indy (Jul '11) Aug '11 Whoyakidding 5
News TD Bank 250: Busch banks win (Jul '11) Jul '11 Racing Granny 2
News Pocky's Paddock: Kevin Harvick warned by NASCAR... (Jul '11) Jul '11 say what 8
More from around the web