NASCAR penalty costs Montoya a win

SPEEDWAY, Ind. Juan Pablo Montoya screamed bloody murder. Not literally, but the driver who dominated the Allstate 400 was frank in HIS assessment of a NASCAR penalty that almost certainly cost the Colombian the race. Full Story
Junior Nation

United States

#22 Jul 27, 2009
MarkL5 wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not ask them to go to fuel injection.
I did not ask them to go to turbocharging.
I did not ask them to go to carbon chassis.
I did not ask them to go to carbon brakes.
I did not ask them to go to sleeker aerodynamics.
I did not ask them to go to digital electronics.
I did not ask them to go to on-board telemetry.
That is the IRL, that is F1.
Rev limiters are not high tech.
NASCAR was the LAST major sanctioning body to go to electronic scoring. NASCAR was the last major sanctioning body to employ manditory full-faced helmets.
For as much as I have enjoyed NASCAR racing, I admit that they are not a cutting-edge sport in anything that they do. Not when it comes to automotive technology, not when it comes to safety, and when it comes to competition, they would rather count on JUDGEMENT rather than technology. Even after technology get's it right.
This is like the NFL railing against instant replay, then discovering that introducing it not only worked, it also proved that their officials were right the vast majority of the time.
On Sunday you could have seen history, history that would have taken NASCAR to another level at a time when it stuggles to keep people coming to the track. They could have seen an Indy 500 winner also win the Brickyard 400.
Think about that.
What do we have instead? Another Hendrick victory at Indianapolis in August...
Woopie.
If infractions can be avoided with INEXPENSIVE technology, then why not implement that technology?
There is no reason why not, and Sunday proved that. Winning is so hard in NASCAR, and NASCAR should not be making it more so.
However, all it would have taken was for his crew chief to speak into that little mouth piece and say WATCH YOUR SPEED! What ever you do, GO SLOW, DO NOT SPEED!

He had been pushing it to the limit all day, you could tell when they were showing his pit road speeds compared to all the others. He was running about 2 seconds quicker on and off pit road than the other drivers. I don't know if he set his gauges a little too high or what.

Any how, he had more than a 5 second lead and all it would have taken was for his crew chief to keep telling him to come in a very slowly.

Hey, I feel bad for him. Even though I'm not a huge JPM fan I would have loved to see him win and it really stunk that it got taken away like that. He's not the 1st one it's happened to and I'm sure he won't be the last. Just part of the game.
Junior Nation

United States

#23 Jul 27, 2009
WWE NASCAR wrote:
<quoted text>
Jr's crew chief should put a shock collar on Dale with a remote control. Every time Jr pulls a bonehead move, he would get a big jolt. It works on dogs, it might help Jr, but I doubt it.
How'd this turn into a Jr thread? I think everyone is talking about JPM and his speeding on pit road.

Since: Apr 07

United States

#24 Jul 27, 2009
Junior Nation wrote:
<quoted text>
However, all it would have taken was for his crew chief to speak into that little mouth piece and say WATCH YOUR SPEED! What ever you do, GO SLOW, DO NOT SPEED!
He had been pushing it to the limit all day, you could tell when they were showing his pit road speeds compared to all the others. He was running about 2 seconds quicker on and off pit road than the other drivers. I don't know if he set his gauges a little too high or what.
Any how, he had more than a 5 second lead and all it would have taken was for his crew chief to keep telling him to come in a very slowly.
Hey, I feel bad for him. Even though I'm not a huge JPM fan I would have loved to see him win and it really stunk that it got taken away like that. He's not the 1st one it's happened to and I'm sure he won't be the last. Just part of the game.
The point is that IT DOES NOT HAVE TO HAPPEN AT ALL. The benefit of technology is that it can be used as a tool to benefit competition.

I would love for people to actually READ what I write and UNDERSTAND IT.
Lady Bug

West Newton, IN

#25 Jul 27, 2009
Pit road at Indy has 8 zones that times the cars
while making a pit stop. The speed was set for 55 mph. He was clocked in zone 2 at 60.06 and Zone 4 he was clocked at 60.11. He did not have a leg to stand on but it was sad that he let it happen.
mike also stutters

Westborough, MA

#26 Jul 27, 2009
i understand that you don't get it. JPM blew it, and when you look back historically at who gets caught speeding, it almost always a second tier driver. the best are too good for that. if the guy can't even control his car put-putting down pit road, he shouldn't be out there. if he needs a damned crutch to help him keep his fat foot off the pedal, he needs to find work elsewhere.

that was the biggest gaff since martin thought he won the race but had only received the white flag and quit a lap early.

MarkL5 wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is that IT DOES NOT HAVE TO HAPPEN AT ALL. The benefit of technology is that it can be used as a tool to benefit competition.

“Smoke Fan Forever!!!”

Since: Sep 07

Look to the Western Sky!!!!

#27 Jul 27, 2009
MarkL5 wrote:
<quoted text>
So we take one more thing out of the driver's hands. So now not only does the COT make racing boring, now we don't have speeding penalties to keep things interesting. This was the perfect example of not knowing how to close the deal. He'll learn.
Junior Nation

United States

#28 Jul 27, 2009
MarkL5 wrote:
<quoted text>
I read and I understood it. I just don't agree. Not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

This isn't IRL or F1 it NASCAR and we're a bunch of backwards rednecks and don't like the cars driving themselves. We like to see the drivers do at least a little of the work and if having to time your pit road speed is part of it than we'll take it. It's already to the point that their dash lights up if they are going too fast. If he had his green, amber, red lights were set wrong than that was a human error and he'll have to live with it.

Still say his crew chief should have been pushing to point to keep it slow. He had too much of a lead to push the envelope.
Junior Nation

United States

#29 Jul 27, 2009
mike also stutters wrote:
i understand that you don't get it. JPM blew it, and when you look back historically at who gets caught speeding, it almost always a second tier driver. the best are too good for that. if the guy can't even control his car put-putting down pit road, he shouldn't be out there. if he needs a damned crutch to help him keep his fat foot off the pedal, he needs to find work elsewhere.
that was the biggest gaff since martin thought he won the race but had only received the white flag and quit a lap early.
<quoted text>
I don't know if I would say only second tier drivers get caught speeding. I think all of them have a one point or another including, JJ, JG, TS, etc... However that close to the end of the race with that kind of lead the crew chief should have been hounding him to SLOW WAY DOWN.

United States

#30 Jul 27, 2009
<quoted text>
Tell you what, why don't you look up what the winning crew chief (Knaus) said of this subject, then get back to me. This is an inexact science, that can be corrected by simple electronics. The race is NOT being won on the racetrack. The race is being LOST by an over-officious sanction that refuses to elist an electronic aid that would help them AVOID a situation that is not good for their reputation.

I guarentee you that more people went home upset that they saw a dominant car reduced to an also-ran due to a call that had nothing to do with racing on the racing surface.

All sanctions who use rev limiters do so for safety reasons. This is not a "crutch" because the rule is not about gaining advantage. The rule was put in place to make it a safer environment.

That does not make it a COMPETITION rule, that makes it a SAFETY rule, and therefore NASCAR putting rev limiters on cars would be for the promotion of SAFETY.

Sorry, I cannot make my point more SIMPLE than that.

You are confused as to why the rule was implemented. That is why you are on the improper side of this arguement.

Safety is not something that you should put completely in the hands of drivers trying to win a race. The SANCTION should be pro-active in promoting safety in every way possible.

REV LIMITERS would be a safety measure. A by-product of implementing them would be avoiding the travesty we saw at Indy.
mike also stutters

Westborough, MA

#31 Jul 28, 2009
how SIMPLE can it be? 43 drivers, one rule. no problem for 42 guys. JPM BLEW IT! he made a fool of himself first by speeding (doesn't this guy have an incredible racing resume'?)- no excuse for it - none - 43 cars and only 1 had an issue - human error - JPM, and then he made a bigger fool of himself with his whining and empty threats.

the guy was ready to park the car. wonder why he couldn't move up from 12th with plenty of racing left! becuz he's a big baby. THAT'S WHAT SHOULD BE THE FOCUS HERE. THE RULES ARE SET. THE RULES ARE KNOWN. THE RULES ARE NOT AN ISSUE. THE TECHNOLOGY WORKS FINE. THE DRIVER'S SCREW UP

big baby. a real racer would have been able to drive from 12th - DOUBLE FILE RESTART!- back to at least 5th with a car that fast. but JPM was too busy whining and yelling at his own crew chief to bother racing the car.

with over 20 to go at the restart, a double file restart, he could have potentially won. if he raced, moved up like he should havem and caught another caution... who knows? but he raced like a little boy and then hacked away at logano in frustration. logano held him off for how long? schooled by a rookie.

a driver either has it or he doesn't. JPM doesn't.
MarkL5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell you what, why don't you look up what the winning crew chief (Knaus) said of this subject, then get back to me. This is an inexact science, that can be corrected by simple electronics. The race is NOT being won on the racetrack. The race is being LOST by an over-officious sanction that refuses to elist an electronic aid that would help them AVOID a situation that is not good for their reputation.
I guarentee you that more people went home upset that they saw a dominant car reduced to an also-ran due to a call that had nothing to do with racing on the racing surface.
All sanctions who use rev limiters do so for safety reasons. This is not a "crutch" because the rule is not about gaining advantage. The rule was put in place to make it a safer environment.
That does not make it a COMPETITION rule, that makes it a SAFETY rule, and therefore NASCAR putting rev limiters on cars would be for the promotion of SAFETY.
You are confused as to why the rule was implemented. That is why you are on the improper side of this arguement.
Safety is not something that you should put completely in the hands of drivers trying to win a race. The SANCTION should be pro-active in promoting safety in every way possible.
REV LIMITERS would be a safety measure. A by-product of implementing them would be avoiding the travesty we saw at Indy.

United States

#32 Jul 28, 2009
how SIMPLE can it be? 43 drivers, one rule. no problem for 42 guys. JPM BLEW IT! he made a fool of himself first by speeding (doesn't this guy have an incredible racing resume'?)- no excuse for it - none - 43 cars and only 1 had an issue - human error - JPM, and then he made a bigger fool of himself with his whining and empty threats.
the guy was ready to park the car. wonder why he couldn't move up from 12th with plenty of racing left! becuz he's a big baby. THAT'S WHAT SHOULD BE THE FOCUS HERE. THE RULES ARE SET. THE RULES ARE KNOWN. THE RULES ARE NOT AN ISSUE. THE TECHNOLOGY WORKS FINE. THE DRIVER'S SCREW UP
big baby. a real racer would have been able to drive from 12th - DOUBLE FILE RESTART!- back to at least 5th with a car that fast. but JPM was too busy whining and yelling at his own crew chief to bother racing the car.
with over 20 to go at the restart, a double file restart, he could have potentially won. if he raced, moved up like he should havem and caught another caution... who knows? but he raced like a little boy and then hacked away at logano in frustration. logano held him off for how long? schooled by a rookie.
<quoted text>
It's a SAFETY rule... PERIOD.
Like the HANS device, like the restraint net, like a firesuit. Putting in rev limiters would promote safety. This becomes a competition issue when speed limits on pit road determine the outcome of races.

BTW... The rule was put in place to to save the lives of drivers, but of pit crew members and NASCAR officials. So what NASCAR is telling you is that the drivers are responsible for their safety MORE than the sanction is.

One would think, that NASCAR would be more PRO-ACTIVE and mandate a device that would take the safety of others aside from the drivers into consideration and mandate rev limiters.

To make it EVEN MORE SIMPLE for you, it would be like NASCAR's requirement to have catch fences up at every track they run. The Catch fence does not allow a stock car to land in your lap on Sunday, and the rev limiter makes sure that you get hit at 55mph, thus increasing a crew member's survival in the case of being hit.

Still don't get it yet, huh?

Because NASCAR levies penalties on a SAFETY issue, they skew the competition side of the ledger. If ONE patron spends money on a ticket and their favorite driver loses on a call that has nothing really to do with competition, the sanction is likely to lose that patron.

That is bad business.

And once again I'm guarenteeing that NASCAR lost fans on Sunday, especially when it came to JP Montoya, their one-man diversity program. JP Montoya winning is good for the sport and I don't care what the excuse, NASCAR needs Montoya winning races.

There were thousands of empty seats at Indy on Sunday. This does not help the situation.

NASCAR must decide what this issue is - is it a competition rule or a safety rule? If it is a safety rule then mandate a safety device that insures that drivers do the right limit and fall into the 21st century with the rest of the racing world, instead of looking like the gang that could'nt shoot straight.

This is embarassing.

United States

#33 Jul 28, 2009
Edit: This rule was NOT put in place to save the lives of drivers, but instead the lives of pit crew members and NASCAR officials.
mike also stutters

Westborough, MA

#34 Jul 28, 2009
43 drivers, one rule. no issue. does not matter the source of the rule, the nature of the rule, or anything else with the rule.

JPM can't hold his speed. THAT'S EMBARRASSING.

and in additon to your large blinders, you are a terrible marketer. attendance and viewer numbers will INCREASE due to JPM and his tirade. folks tune in for controversy.

MarkL5 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a SAFETY rule... PERIOD.
Like the HANS device, like the restraint net, like a firesuit. Putting in rev limiters would promote safety. This becomes a competition issue when speed limits on pit road determine the outcome of races.
BTW... The rule was put in place to to save the lives of drivers, but of pit crew members and NASCAR officials. So what NASCAR is telling you is that the drivers are responsible for their safety MORE than the sanction is.
One would think, that NASCAR would be more PRO-ACTIVE and mandate a device that would take the safety of others aside from the drivers into consideration and mandate rev limiters.
To make it EVEN MORE SIMPLE for you, it would be like NASCAR's requirement to have catch fences up at every track they run. The Catch fence does not allow a stock car to land in your lap on Sunday, and the rev limiter makes sure that you get hit at 55mph, thus increasing a crew member's survival in the case of being hit.
Still don't get it yet, huh?
Because NASCAR levies penalties on a SAFETY issue, they skew the competition side of the ledger. If ONE patron spends money on a ticket and their favorite driver loses on a call that has nothing really to do with competition, the sanction is likely to lose that patron.
That is bad business.
And once again I'm guarenteeing that NASCAR lost fans on Sunday, especially when it came to JP Montoya, their one-man diversity program. JP Montoya winning is good for the sport and I don't care what the excuse, NASCAR needs Montoya winning races.
There were thousands of empty seats at Indy on Sunday. This does not help the situation.
NASCAR must decide what this issue is - is it a competition rule or a safety rule? If it is a safety rule then mandate a safety device that insures that drivers do the right limit and fall into the 21st century with the rest of the racing world, instead of looking like the gang that could'nt shoot straight.
This is embarassing.
Erin

AOL

#35 Jul 28, 2009
The rules are the rules don't let any driver get away with it at all. Time to crack down on all of them.

United States

#36 Jul 28, 2009
43 drivers, one rule. no issue. does not matter the source of the rule, the nature of the rule, or anything else with the rule.
JPM can't hold his speed. THAT'S EMBARRASSING.
and in additon to your large blinders, you are a terrible marketer. attendance and viewer numbers will INCREASE due to JPM and his tirade. folks tune in for controversy.
<quoted text>
People are looking for an excuse to tune out NASCAR. What are you... blind?

No women drivers, no black drivers, one hispanic driver, and he loses on a humbug! Sound marketing would dictate that such a rule would not hinder his going to Victory Lane.

Richard Petty won his 200th race with an oversized engine! The victory stayed in place and only a fine was given as punishment!

Don't get holier than thou when it comes to NASCAR being UN-even when it comes to punishment.
The book on NASCAR inconsistancy is thicker than your head!

JPM is an INTERNATIONAL racing superstar. NASCAR was lucky to have him land in their laps and now due to a rule they could easily make non-existant with a one hundred buck piece of electronics, they sacrefice an historical win.

This is good business?

Just the fact that people are debating this issue, makes it bad for the sanction. Controversy can be good for any sport, but when NASCAR constantly has to rule on issues that they can easily take care of by implementing INTELLEGENCE, they madden their fanbase.

I ask again... This is good business?

Maybe for you.

I'm tire of this issue because it should have been fixed a long time ago. I think the pit road speeding rule is about as useful as a hemmorroid, and in the case of Earnhardt-Ganassi Racing about as painful.

The team with the best car and best driver on that day got gyped because a SAFETY rule that they should not have to worry about, overruled all the hard work put into a dominant racecar.

That is not racing.

Anybody who thinks it is, needs to work for NASCAR. Make sure to send in your resume' if they are hiring.
mike also stutters

Westborough, MA

#37 Jul 28, 2009

apparently i am. unless you have poll numbers, quit trying to impose your paranoia and heavy handed opinions on the lot of nascars fans. you won't tune out and nor will anyone else. empty talk. you'll tune in for the controversy itself.

No women drivers, no black drivers, one hispanic driver, and he loses on a humbug!

never been too many of the above and it never drove anyone away. is hockey in trouble too? nope.

Sound marketing would dictate that such a rule would not hinder his going to Victory Lane.

they have a merketing department you know. its a complex web. you like all the rocknroll they play on tv and at the track now? they have montoya front and center now - exactly what is needed to boost certain demographics! stroke of genius... well, uh, they wouldn't do that on purpose, uh forgot what i said.

take a marketing class with your logic class.

Richard Petty won his 200th race with an oversized engine! The victory stayed in place and only a fine was given as punishment!

excellent, now you are relegated to random thoughts.

Don't get holier than thou when it comes to NASCAR being UN-even when it comes to punishment.

but not thicker than JPM's!

JPM is an INTERNATIONAL racing superstar. NASCAR was lucky to have him land in their laps and now due to a rule they could easily make non-existant with a one hundred buck piece of electronics, they sacrefice an historical win.

HE HAD LITTLE CHANCE OF WINNING. WATCH THE RACES CLOSER! 48 HAD HIM EASILY COVERED.

This is good business?
Just the fact that people are debating this issue, makes it bad for the sanction.

MAKE IT GOOD

Controversy can be good for any sport, but when NASCAR constantly has to rule on issues that they can easily take care of by implementing INTELLEGENCE, they madden their fanbase.

AND SO THEY TUNE IN FOR MORE TO VALIDATE THEIR LIVES WITH, INCLUDING YOU.

ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT A DOUBT

Maybe for you.

NOPE, I AM IN I.T. doesn't matter to me. my company doesn;t sponsor a car. but if i worked for target, i'd be smiling right now! that car will get more air time from the non-win than it would from a win! see who gets more time next week - jpm or jimmie!

I'm tire of this issue because it should have been fixed a long time ago. I think the pit road speeding rule is about as useful as a hemmorroid, and in the case of Earnhardt-Ganassi Racing about as painful.

personal problems it seems

The team with the best car and best driver on that day got gyped because a SAFETY rule that they should not have to worry about, overruled all the hard work put into a dominant racecar.

actually the 48 DID win the race. bets car DID winfor a change. 42 got jipped from a 2nd place finish, i agree - jipped by jpm.

That is not racing.

actually, it is. pit road is a big part of every Cup race

Anybody who thinks it is, needs to work for NASCAR. Make sure to send in your resume' if they

have fun watching MM win Pocono!
MarkL5 wrote:
<quoted text>
are hiring.

United States

#38 Jul 28, 2009
Mikey, I'm STILL awaiting your answer on my basic comment.

Is this a SAFTY issue or is it a COMPETITION issue?

You cannot effectively address this until you rule on why the rule exists and if you do that, then you must then accept that rules to racers alone cannot effectively address safety in a hazardous work environment.

If that was the case then every driver would not have a mandated HANS device around his neck. NASCAR mandates the device for drivers, but does not mandate a rev-limiter on a SAFETY issue.

My only point here is the inconsistancy of the sanction when it comes to its rulings.

CONSISTANCY.
CONSISTANCY.
CONSISTANCY.

COMMON SENSE.

A safety issue took a victory away from a competitor. An issue that should require more of a mandate than a driver trying to win a race.

Why is this eluding you?

The rev-limiter is the same thing as the HANS. When you eleminate the safety threat, you also eliminate the possibility of the race's integrity.

Its a win-win, instead of the crap that we are left with.
whatashame

Atlanta, GA

#39 Jul 28, 2009
<quoted text>
lol - pretty biased in your ASSEsment I must say.

1. "JMP Blew it!": How do you know if his timing system wasn't calibrated properly - he said he had green lights - hmmmmmm?=)

2. "A real driver would have been able to move hp from 12th to at least 5th": Watch NASCAR much? JPM's car was setup to run in the front and not in the pack. Remember - JPM was blowing away the field all day - no adjustments had been made to run midpack.=P

3. "Doesn't this guy have an incredible racing resume'?": Why yes he does. I believe it was last year at the brickyard that Montoya was running down Stewart - he placed 2nd.

I have no doubt whatsoever that Montoya will get a win at the Brickyard as dominant as he's been there and will get his win - which will be a "redemption win for the ages.

Did I mention he will be the ONLY driver to have won the Indy 500 AND the brickyard? More people will watch the upcoming Brickyard races in anticipation to see if Montoya can pull it off and he will win thousands of NASCAR's fans respect at his driving abilities.

Unfortunately for you, it is JPM that will go down in history as one of racings BEST race car drivers while you live out your bitter pathetic little life.

Ski

“Is It Friday Yet?????”

Since: May 07

Smalltown New York

#40 Jul 28, 2009
apparently i am. unless you have poll numbers, quit trying to impose your paranoia and heavy handed opinions on the lot of nascars fans. you won't tune out and nor will anyone else. empty talk. you'll tune in for the controversy itself.
No women drivers, no black drivers, one hispanic driver, and he loses on a humbug!
never been too many of the above and it never drove anyone away. is hockey in trouble too? nope.
Sound marketing would dictate that such a rule would not hinder his going to Victory Lane.
they have a merketing department you know. its a complex web. you like all the rocknroll they play on tv and at the track now? they have montoya front and center now - exactly what is needed to boost certain demographics! stroke of genius... well, uh, they wouldn't do that on purpose, uh forgot what i said.
take a marketing class with your logic class.
excellent, now you are relegated to random thoughts.
but not thicker than JPM's!
HE HAD LITTLE CHANCE OF WINNING. WATCH THE RACES CLOSER! 48 HAD HIM EASILY COVERED.
This is good business?
Just the fact that people are debating this issue, makes it bad for the sanction.
MAKE IT GOOD
Controversy can be good for any sport, but when NASCAR constantly has to rule on issues that they can easily take care of by implementing INTELLEGENCE, they madden their fanbase.
AND SO THEY TUNE IN FOR MORE TO VALIDATE THEIR LIVES WITH, INCLUDING YOU.
ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT A DOUBT
Maybe for you.
NOPE, I AM IN I.T. doesn't matter to me. my company doesn;t sponsor a car. but if i worked for target, i'd be smiling right now! that car will get more air time from the non-win than it would from a win! see who gets more time next week - jpm or jimmie!
personal problems it seems
actually the 48 DID win the race. bets car DID winfor a change. 42 got jipped from a 2nd place finish, i agree - jipped by jpm.
That is not racing.
actually, it is. pit road is a big part of every Cup race
Anybody who thinks it is, needs to work for NASCAR. Make sure to send in your resume' if they
have fun watching MM win Pocono!
<quoted text>
Sorry stuttering mike, But I have to agree with MarkL5. If NASCAR mandates a pit speed limit for safety reasons then they should not leave it up to the driver to ensure he maintains it.
I for one may very well avoid watching future NASCAR races after this weekend.

“Smoke Fan Forever!!!”

Since: Sep 07

Look to the Western Sky!!!!

#41 Jul 28, 2009
MarkL5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Umm they have gear rules to limit RPMs on cars. So are we talking about redundant technology??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Deac McCaskill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tony Stewart case goes to grand jury Sep '14 rayjr 1
NASCAR confiscates parts of driver's race car Jul '14 WWE CRASHCAR 2014 1
NASCAR's Busch eager to try "Double" again May '14 Hilton Head 1
Kyle Busch dominates in Trucks for Kansas win May '14 kyle fan 2
RGIII makes his NASCAR 'debut' (Apr '14) Apr '14 Dingo 1
Wallace Jr. offers advice for next NASCAR Next ... (Apr '14) Apr '14 carl 1
Rising teen driver Kwasniewski comes home to Vegas (Mar '14) Mar '14 Mrs berry 1

Deac McCaskill People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE