NASCAR penalty costs Montoya a win

Full story: The Gaston Gazette

SPEEDWAY, Ind. Juan Pablo Montoya screamed bloody murder. Not literally, but the driver who dominated the Allstate 400 was frank in HIS assessment of a NASCAR penalty that almost certainly cost the Colombian the race.
Comments
1 - 20 of 75 Comments Last updated Aug 1, 2009
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“New Season,,New champ????”

Since: Apr 08

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2009

Judged:

Anyone who watched that race knew it was Juans race. He might be a jerk but he's figrured these cars out.Great; battles are ehead. If not for the penatly he won.
Lady Bug

West Newton, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2009

Race fan Dan wrote:
Anyone who watched that race knew it was Juans race. He might be a jerk but he's figrured these cars out.Great; battles are ehead. If not for the penatly he won.
He caused it himself and he was not the only one nailed for speeding on pit row.
too fast

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2009

If you speed enough on pit road you can get a few second lead on the field, he finally got busted!
They probably let him slide a couple times and then he took it too far.

Ski

“Is It Friday Yet?????”

Since: May 07

Smalltown New York

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

too fast wrote:
If you speed enough on pit road you can get a few second lead on the field, he finally got busted!
They probably let him slide a couple times and then he took it too far.
I didn't watch the race but caught the news last night regarding JPM's penalty.
He was caught twice?? Once exceeding the pit speed limit by .06 mph and another time by .11.
WTF!!!????
Sounds to me like someone didn't want that feriner winnin' the race.
I see Junior had another stellar day...Putz!
Nascartoon

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Ski wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't watch the race but caught the news last night regarding JPM's penalty.
He was caught twice?? Once exceeding the pit speed limit by .06 mph and another time by .11.
WTF!!!????
Sounds to me like someone didn't want that feriner winnin' the race.
I see Junior had another stellar day...Putz!
Yea, but your given a 5mph cushion, so Nascar tends to not be very forgiving when you exceed that cushion by any margin.
Junior Nation

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

I'm so surprised that his crew chief didn't keep pounding it in his head to go extremely slow on pit road. He had over a 5 second lead at that point. What a shame.
Wang

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Nascartoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yea, but your given a 5mph cushion, so Nascar tends to not be very forgiving when you exceed that cushion by any margin.
Nascalloon, thele you go tarking about cushions again. I tell get off couch and exelcise so you not big as cow. chop chop

“How We Roll”

Since: Nov 08

Area 51, Nevada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

I don't hear anyone discussing how they set the tach for pit speed limit. Do they set it to the limit or to the +5? That has been an issue before with drivers not setting it correctly under the pace lap.

If NASCAR wanted to change anything about this, I'd say issue the teams a tach set to the speed limit for each race, and add it to the post race inspection.

Since: Apr 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

If NASCAR wanted to they could fix this problem like the rest of the racing world and mandate rev limiters on these cars. In their increasing desire to be low-tech, they are costing drivers wins and points. I can not think of a worse way to lose a race in a dominant car.

They did Montoya and racing no service on Sunday.
whatashame

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Junior Nation wrote:
I'm so surprised that his crew chief didn't keep pounding it in his head to go extremely slow on pit road. He had over a 5 second lead at that point. What a shame.
Bingo!

A Chad Knaus he's Not!!!

Ski

“Is It Friday Yet?????”

Since: May 07

Smalltown New York

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

MarkL5 wrote:
If NASCAR wanted to they could fix this problem like the rest of the racing world and mandate rev limiters on these cars. In their increasing desire to be low-tech, they are costing drivers wins and points. I can not think of a worse way to lose a race in a dominant car.
Agreed.
The IRL uses a pit speed button on the steering wheel. If NASCAR would move out of the dark ages, things like this would not happen.
Jack

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

They should get rid of the 5 mph cushion, either make it 55 or 60, you go over you get penalized.
mike also stutters

Westborough, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

johnson would have beat him. dream on.
Race fan Dan wrote:
WWE NASCAR

Florham Park, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

whatashame wrote:
<quoted text>
Bingo!
A Chad Knaus he's Not!!!
Jr's crew chief should put a shock collar on Dale with a remote control. Every time Jr pulls a bonehead move, he would get a big jolt. It works on dogs, it might help Jr, but I doubt it.
Junior Nation

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

MarkL5 wrote:
It's stock car racing not the IRL or F1. You've got to leave something to the teams to manage themselves. They've already gone away from just using their tack to using a lighting system telling them when they are in the green, amber or red. It's up to each team to set the timing for each color. Unfortunately they figure in that 5 mile allowance when they set them.
who are you

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

good that reject can go back 2 formula 1.

“"drive for five in'10"”

Since: Jan 07

Your the Man!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Race fan Dan wrote:
No one can say that for sure. Anything could have happened. It just turned out to be his own stupidity that cost him the race. They've all been caught speeding on pit road and sucked it up like a man. He just can't admit it. He's another one who always looks for an excuse.
whatashame

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Junior Nation wrote:
<quoted text>
It's stock car racing not the IRL or F1. You've got to leave something to the teams to manage themselves. They've already gone away from just using their tack to using a lighting system telling them when they are in the green, amber or red. It's up to each team to set the timing for each color. Unfortunately they figure in that 5 mile allowance when they set them.
Comon - it's a stock "car" and NASCAR doesn't even provide drivers with a speedometer?!?!?!

Also, they have all kinds of metrics available on the cars when watching the race but nothing on pit speed? As we've seen, pit speed is part of the race which can take away a win from a driver. Why doesn't NASCAR make this info available to avoid conspiracy theories?

Since: Apr 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

Junior Nation wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not ask them to go to fuel injection.
I did not ask them to go to turbocharging.
I did not ask them to go to carbon chassis.
I did not ask them to go to carbon brakes.
I did not ask them to go to sleeker aerodynamics.
I did not ask them to go to digital electronics.
I did not ask them to go to on-board telemetry.

That is the IRL, that is F1.

Rev limiters are not high tech.

NASCAR was the LAST major sanctioning body to go to electronic scoring. NASCAR was the last major sanctioning body to employ manditory full-faced helmets.

For as much as I have enjoyed NASCAR racing, I admit that they are not a cutting-edge sport in anything that they do. Not when it comes to automotive technology, not when it comes to safety, and when it comes to competition, they would rather count on JUDGEMENT rather than technology. Even after technology get's it right.

This is like the NFL railing against instant replay, then discovering that introducing it not only worked, it also proved that their officials were right the vast majority of the time.

On Sunday you could have seen history, history that would have taken NASCAR to another level at a time when it stuggles to keep people coming to the track. They could have seen an Indy 500 winner also win the Brickyard 400.

Think about that.

What do we have instead? Another Hendrick victory at Indianapolis in August...

Woopie.

If infractions can be avoided with INEXPENSIVE technology, then why not implement that technology?

There is no reason why not, and Sunday proved that. Winning is so hard in NASCAR, and NASCAR should not be making it more so.
Lady Bug

West Newton, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

WWE NASCAR wrote:
<quoted text>
Jr's crew chief should put a shock collar on Dale with a remote control. Every time Jr pulls a bonehead move, he would get a big jolt. It works on dogs, it might help Jr, but I doubt it.
You need a shock collar on your tongue, Bet it's so long it would take 2 or 3 collars to shut you up.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••