Franchitti won't deny he's jumping to...

Franchitti won't deny he's jumping to NASCAR

There are 81 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Sep 8, 2007, titled Franchitti won't deny he's jumping to NASCAR. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Dario Franchitti must be talking to Chip Ganassi about working together in NASCAR next season because their words matched Saturday at Chicagoland Speedway.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

The Truth

Kokomo, IN

#23 Sep 9, 2007
"each May we're reminded of which of these motorsports is really the grand daddy."

Amen.
OOi

Greenfield, IN

#24 Sep 9, 2007
It looks like he gopt tired of driving the go carts around. No one cares about the IRL outside of Indy. The Coca Coloa 600 had higher ratings than the 500. The IRL is in serious trouble.

Since: Aug 07

Englewood, CO

#25 Sep 9, 2007
Great wrote:
Now we have to listen to Ashley Judd talk every week about NASCAR. Why do they let her talk.
She actually hides from the camera and the whole month of may except for race day. At Indy they followed her around and the only time they got her was in winners circle. She left the Indy 500 awards banquet early so she didn't steal the spotlight. She's so far been good about staying out of it, but in the moment of the Indy win they got her to speak.

Englewood, CO

#26 Sep 9, 2007
Racing Anarchy wrote:
Dario is [email protected] cool you idiots. So is Juan. I do have a question for y'all if you don't mind. Which name is better, racing anarchy or racing nirvana? Or is [email protected] off my best choice? Topix is F-U-N!
I agree go Dario and Juan, the only thing better is that they are teamates, I'm gonna love it. I don't think that alot of people know much about these drivers before they speak. Dario has been in different series before the IRL and he can drive alot of cars. Why should they be limited to one series? I think it's the threat of competition what else could it be oh and that their not from America, which is b/s.

Englewood, CO

#27 Sep 9, 2007
The Truth wrote:
"each May we're reminded of which of these motorsports is really the grand daddy."
Amen.
Amen to that from Indy here to it's funny how they say oh the seats were empty where? From Stand B the only empty seats I saw were from the Penthouse stands and those where empty because the people were in the penthouses.! Nothing like May in Indy and I mean all of May :)

Englewood, CO

#28 Sep 9, 2007
Career Leader wrote:
Mike,
That's a good idea, it's too wet to do my yardwork before race time so I might have to pull that DVD out.
I see a big difference between what went on on the track in the past (be it 1911 or in the days of "Winning".
Even with the wings, 15 years ago the drivers were DRIVING the cars on ovals. They were braking and working the throttle to get the best speed.
What takes place on an oval in 2007 more closely resembles a Reno Air Race around pylons than an open wheel oval race from 20 years ago.
Today the majority of risk comes from racing too close with the other cars.
The form of racing that IRL has "invented" is the type of racing that encourages a driver attempting a pass on the outside to SQUEEZE the guy on the inside until he has to lift. Exactly what Andretti and Kanaan talked about doing on the final laps of Michigan. Exactly whan TK and Helio were admonished for at Kentucky.
It is stupid, dangerous, and the drivers don't like it. Unfortunately it has become a necessity for anybody who wants to win.
In the days of "Winning", the fans feared for drivers lives after a car would swap ends in a single car accident that ripped the vehicle apart.
Those days are gone. Most people don't even think twice when somebody loses it and hits the wall hard.
Today most of the risk is generated by the wheel to wheel racing that the IRL has patented with open wheel cars.
We may continue to remember that the 500 is the grand daddy of American motorsports. But look at the Rose Bowl... that name is nothing more than a footnote on what has become nothing more than "another postseason exhibition game".
I'm still convinced and come May I know exatly why I am Indy !
Terry

Gardner, KS

#29 Sep 9, 2007
Career Leader wrote:
Mike,
That's a good idea, it's too wet to do my yardwork before race time so I might have to pull that DVD out.
I see a big difference between what went on on the track in the past (be it 1911 or in the days of "Winning".
Even with the wings, 15 years ago the drivers were DRIVING the cars on ovals. They were braking and working the throttle to get the best speed.
What takes place on an oval in 2007 more closely resembles a Reno Air Race around pylons than an open wheel oval race from 20 years ago.
Today the majority of risk comes from racing too close with the other cars.
The form of racing that IRL has "invented" is the type of racing that encourages a driver attempting a pass on the outside to SQUEEZE the guy on the inside until he has to lift. Exactly what Andretti and Kanaan talked about doing on the final laps of Michigan. Exactly whan TK and Helio were admonished for at Kentucky.
It is stupid, dangerous, and the drivers don't like it. Unfortunately it has become a necessity for anybody who wants to win.
In the days of "Winning", the fans feared for drivers lives after a car would swap ends in a single car accident that ripped the vehicle apart.
Those days are gone. Most people don't even think twice when somebody loses it and hits the wall hard.
Today most of the risk is generated by the wheel to wheel racing that the IRL has patented with open wheel cars.
We may continue to remember that the 500 is the grand daddy of American motorsports. But look at the Rose Bowl... that name is nothing more than a footnote on what has become nothing more than "another postseason exhibition game".
I am from Wisconsin boy you sure nailed the Rose bowl right it's sad but true.
teeney boppers crying

Greenfield, IN

#30 Sep 9, 2007
The Truth wrote:
Amen.
TV ratings baby. Your granda daddy is sucking wind.

“Waiting to inhale”

Since: Feb 07

Chicago

#31 Sep 9, 2007
Actually, no...it's not. Indianapolis is still a jaugernaut ratings-wise. In this fragmented era of television viewing, 6.0-7.0 household ratings qualify as a mega event. Particularly considering that the race is run before prime-time. Don't ever let anyone hype you into the falsehood that the last Sunday in May "sucks." It's still a huge, huge event.
teeney boppers crying wrote:
<quoted text>

AOL

#32 Sep 9, 2007
teeney boppers crying wrote:
<quoted text>
Just another lame ass here from Indiana who wants to bash the IRL. Why? My guess is your brain is malfunctioning, lol. Can't help stupid.

AOL

#33 Sep 9, 2007
I'm about to put out some pest spray for these nasty little critters. They seem to be one the same level. They are bitter from the split, they never saw or attended the race so they don't have a clue or their just plain dumb. Whatever it is they must be eliminated, lol.

“Waiting to inhale”

Chicago

#34 Sep 9, 2007
How is nascar a way to get away from "fights and crashes?" Over-qualified drivers are going over to nascar to get away from this Barnum and Bailey appeal that you fret? I'm sorry...but I disagree...

No...when a top Indycar driver can make as much or more money plodding around in circles with fenders, there's some appeal there. Particularly when a young wife has a word or two or three to say to that driver.

I, for one, was highly entertained today near the start/finish line at Chicagoland. But, if Dario goes, someone will be there to take his place.
Career Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
For a couple of years it looked like the competition was getting better and the racing was getting more exciting. Now it's all about fights and crashes and the drivers we root for want nothing to do with it.

“"Racing Rules"”

Since: Dec 06

NHRA

#35 Sep 9, 2007
Lets go racing wrote:
I'm about to put out some pest spray for these nasty little critters. They seem to be one the same level. They are bitter from the split, they never saw or attended the race so they don't have a clue or their just plain dumb. Whatever it is they must be eliminated, lol.
I agree dear friend! For one thing,bringing family into any subject is a low class citizen(rephrase: no citizen at all) The above comment(above yours) is low class! Even wonderful Nascar folks would never talk about their own grandad that way! Family is very important! To patronize your kin is a low blow! What the heck happens on weekends anyway?

“"Racing Rules"”

NHRA

#36 Sep 9, 2007
Indycarmike57 wrote:
How is nascar a way to get away from "fights and crashes?" Over-qualified drivers are going over to nascar to get away from this Barnum and Bailey appeal that you fret? I'm sorry...but I disagree...
No...when a top Indycar driver can make as much or more money plodding around in circles with fenders, there's some appeal there. Particularly when a young wife has a word or two or three to say to that driver.
I, for one, was highly entertained today near the start/finish line at Chicagoland. But, if Dario goes, someone will be there to take his place.
<quoted text>
Hey Mike,did you have a great time?Did you and Ski meet up for a beer?

“Waiting to inhale”

Chicago

#37 Sep 9, 2007
Hi! Unfotunately, no. One of my brothers had an emergency home repairt that he needed attend to before we made our way to the track. Ski and I spoke on the phone at around noon; he was already pulling in to the parking lot. But we didn't make it there until about a half-hour before green flag.

Ski sounds like a cool guy, though! Gotta check out his place of employment this winter maybe!
mindy wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Mike,did you have a great time?Did you and Ski meet up for a beer?

“"Racing Rules"”

NHRA

#38 Sep 9, 2007
Indycarmike57 wrote:
Hi! Unfotunately, no. One of my brothers had an emergency home repairt that he needed attend to before we made our way to the track. Ski and I spoke on the phone at around noon; he was already pulling in to the parking lot. But we didn't make it there until about a half-hour before green flag.
Ski sounds like a cool guy, though! Gotta check out his place of employment this winter maybe!
<quoted text>
Hope all is ok? You should have found eachother somewhere,drat!

“Waiting to inhale”

Chicago

#39 Sep 10, 2007
I know...but once that green flag falls it's pretty loud, as you kow...plus, you don't want to miss anything. It still blows me away how quickly a 300 mile races goes in the IRL. Man, that race was on and it was over!
mindy wrote:
<quoted text>Hope all is ok? You should have found eachother somewhere,drat!
Scott

Plainfield, IN

#40 Sep 10, 2007
There goes the neighborhood!!! Another ferner in NASCAR.
CareerLeader

Louisville, KY

#41 Sep 10, 2007
Indycarmike57 wrote:
Actually, no...it's not. Indianapolis is still a jaugernaut ratings-wise. In this fragmented era of television viewing, 6.0-7.0 household ratings qualify as a mega event. Particularly considering that the race is run before prime-time. Don't ever let anyone hype you into the falsehood that the last Sunday in May "sucks." It's still a huge, huge event.
<quoted text>
Did it beat the Coca Cola 600 in ratings this year?

Did it beat it's own ratings from last year?

Sorry... it's still huge, but it's getting smaller each and every year. You may want to pull your head out of the sand.

“Waiting to inhale”

Chicago

#42 Sep 10, 2007
This is an area that I know a bit about. I've worked in broadcast sales since 1981. In '07 there was, what we call in the industry, a "statistical tie" between the two races(the 600 had 1/10th of a national household percentage point higher than the 500).

What no one talks about is the fact that the Indy 500 pulled the same percentage of national households as the Coca Cola 600 in an AFTERNOON TIME SLOT. The 600 is run in prime time. The national television audience more than doubles in size from afternoon to prime time.

Furthermore, the Indy 500 sustained that audience through a three-hour rain delay this year. Do you think the Coca Cola 600 sustains the same level of viewership throughout a three-hour rain delay? I don't think so! That takes a very special broadcast event with years and years of status behind it to pull of that magic act.

It's what will always put the Indy 500, with all the things that we know can be improved, on another level from any other motorsport event. H*ll...most sporting events period!

No...people who know, know which race is still the big kahuna.
CareerLeader wrote:
<quoted text>
Did it beat the Coca Cola 600 in ratings this year?
Did it beat it's own ratings from last year?
Sorry... it's still huge, but it's getting smaller each and every year. You may want to pull your head out of the sand.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

David Stremme Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cole Whitt to replace David Stremme at Swan Rac... (Sep '13) Sep '13 RacingFan20 1
News 2-time Daytona 500 winner Michael Waltrip to en... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Terry 5
News Penalties likely for Earnhardt, Waltrip teams (Feb '08) Apr '12 who cares 6
News One wreck knocks two Sprint Cup drivers from field (Dec '10) Dec '10 mg from cedar rap... 1
News Michael Waltrip, David Stremme in new rides, on... (Mar '10) Mar '10 Dillinger 6
News Robby Gordon Attempting to Defend his 2008 Flop... (Aug '09) Sep '09 Dillinger 7
News Robby Gordon attempting to defend his 2008 FLOP... (Aug '09) Aug '09 nasfan55 8
More from around the web