Franchitti won't deny he's jumping to NASCAR

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

Dario Franchitti must be talking to Chip Ganassi about working together in NASCAR next season because their words matched Saturday at Chicagoland Speedway.
Comments
1 - 20 of 81 Comments Last updated Sep 12, 2007
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Middie-AJ

Mount Vernon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2007

Not a big loss if Dario goes to NASCAR. I do hope Chip has three cars , in the IRL next year.
Mark

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2007

Alex Lloyd would be a great replacement for Dario if he should move on.
Big Snarky Swede

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2007

Look at all the over-qualified drivers over there in fatcab!! What a crappy, boring racing world that continues to unfold before our eyes...
Great

Odessa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2007

Now we have to listen to Ashley Judd talk every week about NASCAR. Why do they let her talk.
Don Drysdale

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2007

How can this foreigner even be working in the US of A? We get so bent out of shape about some poor latino trying to feed his family by hanging shingles on the roofs or our mansions in 110 degree heat, yet we let this scoth-italian take away a job that could be had by an honest American. Totally disgraceful.

NASCAR is turning into the United Nations. What ever happened to Cole Trickle and the City Chevrolet-Lumina???

“Waiting to inhale”

Since: Feb 07

Chicago

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2007

I still don't believe it. Franchitti would be miserable driving those tanks.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/...
Bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2007

Why would anyone switch from real racing to NAPCAR. Dumb.
Bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2007

Don Drysdale wrote:
How can this foreigner even be working in the US of A? We get so bent out of shape about some poor latino trying to feed his family by hanging shingles on the roofs or our mansions in 110 degree heat, yet we let this scoth-italian take away a job that could be had by an honest American. Totally disgraceful.
NASCAR is turning into the United Nations. What ever happened to Cole Trickle and the City Chevrolet-Lumina???
Clearly, you haven't a clue.
Indy Fan in Georgia

Lawrenceville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2007

Indycarmike57 wrote:
this is hard to believe. Dario & Ashley Franchitti are too classy for NECKCAR !
Kumar

Avon, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2007

It's because the c.o.t. doesn't flip as easily....oh, and for the $$$ too.
Dave

Florence, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2007

Its not easy changing teams, much less series and cars he has never driver before. If Dario does go to NAPCAR land, we can enjoy seeing about 30 seconds of him in the back of the pack each week during these four-five snooze fest races.
Indy Fan in Georgia

Lawrenceville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2007

I hope this a big lie like: "Dewey Defeats Trueman"

maybe its bargaining ploy like Danica last year.
delaware

Salisbury, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2007

Its the cool-aid that napcar feeds these poor guys !!!
Elmer George

Kankakee, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2007

I shoulda worn a rubber.
Career Leader

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2007

Indycarmike57 wrote:
After that ride in Michigan you don't think that driving a tank may sound pretty nice to the guy?
Terry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2007

The sad part is you can thank Tony George and Rodger Penske for the demise of open wheel racing in the US. When Cart split and the Irl was formed they both fell apart. Now in the Irl you one car one engine,and lots of times you have 17 or 18 cars in the field. There is small fan support look in the stands. Nascar is carrying the Irl at some tracks forceing people to buy Irl tickets if they want Nascar tickets. And even then then stands are pretty empty. Open wheel racing is slowly dying the US, then you wonder why the drivers are coming to Nascar. It's pretty sad thanks Tony and thanks Rodger you guys did a hell of a job.
Career Leader

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2007

Indycarmike57 wrote:
You don't have to believe that he's going to nascar... just believe that he'll be working for Chip and that he won't be in the IRL next year.

Franchitti might be there, Wheldon is pissed off because he's not being given the chance to go there, Montoya is already there, Hornish is out the door, Villeneuve is likely on his way.

That's all but two of the Indy 500 winners who are still racing full time.

There are two reasons for this mass exodus. Safety and Competition. Sorry guys, the cars themselves are very save and can handle just about everything. However the style of racing that the IRL has created is throwing just about everything at them. Its a ticking time bomb that the drivers are acknowledging. The competition level has disappeared in the IRL... you don't have to outdrive anybody anymore. You just have to be on one of three teams and you will win because more than half of the field doesn't have the equipment. Like it or not, the DRIVERS are there for COMPETITION. Not just for wins. Nascar gives them that.

I'm not a champ car fanboy/IRL hater. I just refuse to drink the kool-aid that everything is fine. For a couple of years it looked like the competition was getting better and the racing was getting more exciting. Now it's all about fights and crashes and the drivers we root for want nothing to do with it.

“Waiting to inhale”

Since: Feb 07

Chicago

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2007

...thoughtful post, however, the IRL didn't invent this form of racing.

It was invented in 1911. For a pre-modern-era-with-wings look at what this sport was like, not that long ago, check out Paul Newman in "Winning." Drivers, literally, put their lives on a poker table when they competed in what they called then, the "Big One."

The difference today? The "Big One" was also the race with the big money in those days. Now, drivers can lumber around mile-and-a-half ovals in a "stock car" ---I use that term losely---and earn those kind of riches without putting their lives on the poker table.

The sport goes on regardless of driver moves. They've happened before, they'll happen again. And each May we're reminded of which of these motorsports is really the grand daddy.
Career Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have to believe that he's going to nascar... just believe that he'll be working for Chip and that he won't be in the IRL next year.
Franchitti might be there, Wheldon is pissed off because he's not being given the chance to go there, Montoya is already there, Hornish is out the door, Villeneuve is likely on his way.
That's all but two of the Indy 500 winners who are still racing full time.
There are two reasons for this mass exodus. Safety and Competition. Sorry guys, the cars themselves are very save and can handle just about everything. However the style of racing that the IRL has created is throwing just about everything at them. Its a ticking time bomb that the drivers are acknowledging. The competition level has disappeared in the IRL... you don't have to outdrive anybody anymore. You just have to be on one of three teams and you will win because more than half of the field doesn't have the equipment. Like it or not, the DRIVERS are there for COMPETITION. Not just for wins. Nascar gives them that.
I'm not a champ car fanboy/IRL hater. I just refuse to drink the kool-aid that everything is fine. For a couple of years it looked like the competition was getting better and the racing was getting more exciting. Now it's all about fights and crashes and the drivers we root for want nothing to do with it.
Bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2007

Indy Fan in Georgia wrote:
I hope this a big lie like: "Dewey Defeats Trueman"
maybe its bargaining ploy like Danica last year.
Truman! Sheesh. Spell it correctly, please.
Career Leader

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2007

Mike,

That's a good idea, it's too wet to do my yardwork before race time so I might have to pull that DVD out.

I see a big difference between what went on on the track in the past (be it 1911 or in the days of "Winning".

Even with the wings, 15 years ago the drivers were DRIVING the cars on ovals. They were braking and working the throttle to get the best speed.

What takes place on an oval in 2007 more closely resembles a Reno Air Race around pylons than an open wheel oval race from 20 years ago.

Today the majority of risk comes from racing too close with the other cars.

The form of racing that IRL has "invented" is the type of racing that encourages a driver attempting a pass on the outside to SQUEEZE the guy on the inside until he has to lift. Exactly what Andretti and Kanaan talked about doing on the final laps of Michigan. Exactly whan TK and Helio were admonished for at Kentucky.

It is stupid, dangerous, and the drivers don't like it. Unfortunately it has become a necessity for anybody who wants to win.

In the days of "Winning", the fans feared for drivers lives after a car would swap ends in a single car accident that ripped the vehicle apart.

Those days are gone. Most people don't even think twice when somebody loses it and hits the wall hard.

Today most of the risk is generated by the wheel to wheel racing that the IRL has patented with open wheel cars.

We may continue to remember that the 500 is the grand daddy of American motorsports. But look at the Rose Bowl... that name is nothing more than a footnote on what has become nothing more than "another postseason exhibition game".

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent David Stremme Discussions

Search the David Stremme Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Cole Whitt to replace David Stremme at Swan Rac... (Sep '13) Sep '13 RacingFan20 1
2-time Daytona 500 winner Michael Waltrip to en... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Terry 5
Penalties likely for Earnhardt, Waltrip teams (Feb '08) Apr '12 who cares 6
One wreck knocks two Sprint Cup drivers from field (Dec '10) Dec '10 mg from cedar rapids iowa 1
Michael Waltrip, David Stremme in new rides, on... (Mar '10) Mar '10 Dillinger 6
Robby Gordon Attempting to Defend his 2008 Flop... (Aug '09) Sep '09 Dillinger 7
Robby Gordon attempting to defend his 2008 FLOP... (Aug '09) Aug '09 nasfan55 8
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••