IndyCar's Franchitti will jump to NAS...

IndyCar's Franchitti will jump to NASCAR ...

There are 18 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Sep 9, 2007, titled IndyCar's Franchitti will jump to NASCAR .... In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

IndyCar's Franchitti will jump to NASCAR Dario Franchitti will become the latest open-wheel star to make the jump to NASCAR. via Akron Beacon Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

Dave

AOL

#1 Sep 9, 2007
First of all I would like to congratulate Dario Franchitti on winning the 2007 IRL Championship title! Dario is a real class act and has been one of my very favorite drivers for many years now, I am so happy and excited over the news of Franchitti joining Gannasi's Nascar program, and I think that it's great that Juan Montoya and Dario Franchitti will be teamates as he was one of Juan's only friends in the CART series back in 1999 and 2000, They should work very well together and it should make the Nextel cup series even more exciting as well.

This is what Nascar has been lacking for the past 10 years as it has grown so much in popularity, New names! names like Juan Pablo Montoya, Dario Franchitti and Jauques Vileneuve to make it a lot less anoying to passive viewers who are completely turned off by the fact that it has been an all American and all white sport for it's entire existence, and also with Sam Hornish comming over as well! It will be great to see how some of the greatest open wheeled drivers do against the best stock car drivers in the business! I don't expect great things from Vileneuve! but it will be great to see Montoya and Franchitti and eventually Hornish Jr mixing it up with Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart Dale Earnhardt Jr and Jimmy Johnson. It should be a great show!

Since: Aug 07

AOL

#2 Sep 10, 2007
Dave wrote:
First of all I would like to congratulate Dario Franchitti on winning the 2007 IRL Championship title! Dario is a real class act and has been one of my very favorite drivers for many years now, I am so happy and excited over the news of Franchitti joining Gannasi's Nascar program, and I think that it's great that Juan Montoya and Dario Franchitti will be teamates as he was one of Juan's only friends in the CART series back in 1999 and 2000, They should work very well together and it should make the Nextel cup series even more exciting as well.
This is what Nascar has been lacking for the past 10 years as it has grown so much in popularity, New names! names like Juan Pablo Montoya, Dario Franchitti and Jauques Vileneuve to make it a lot less anoying to passive viewers who are completely turned off by the fact that it has been an all American and all white sport for it's entire existence, and also with Sam Hornish comming over as well! It will be great to see how some of the greatest open wheeled drivers do against the best stock car drivers in the business! I don't expect great things from Vileneuve! but it will be great to see Montoya and Franchitti and eventually Hornish Jr mixing it up with Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart Dale Earnhardt Jr and Jimmy Johnson. It should be a great show!
I agree JPM and Franchitti were the best those years in Cart it should be interesting. I already started watching Nascar when JPM went over there so now I just have one more reason to watch them. Of course I'm gonna route for the ex open wheel drivers, Stewart, Montoya and so on. It'll also be interesting to see Franchitti and Montoya work together instead of be competiting against one another. I can't wait :)
DATSYUK FAN

Flint, MI

#3 Sep 12, 2007
if dario do come than it will be dario and juan vr sam hornis jr

AOL

#4 Sep 27, 2007
DATSYUK FAN wrote:
if dario do come than it will be dario and juan vr sam hornis jr
If how poorly Sams doing in qualifying is an indication I'd say Montoya and Franchitti wont have to deal with him too much. I think he should stay in the IRL or it could be career suicide for Sam.

AOL

#5 Sep 30, 2007
DArio may not be at the ARCA race this weekend AGR hangups, damn Andretti !
Nascar Fan

United States

#6 Oct 1, 2007
Lets go racing wrote:
DArio may not be at the ARCA race this weekend AGR hangups, damn Andretti !
His contract did it.Don't be giving AGR a hard time. The team did make him a winner.

AOL

#7 Oct 1, 2007
Nascar Fan wrote:
<quoted text>His contract did it.Don't be giving AGR a hard time. The team did make him a winner.
I was pretty much kidding :) I know it's more "sponsers" then anything.
Chris

Appleton, WI

#8 Oct 1, 2007
It will be fun watching Dario in the Acura LMP2 car this weekend at the ALMS race. His contract with AGR expires December 1 and that is the reason he will be racing at Road Atlanta this weekend. Thank god he'll be in a real race car this weekend!

Since: Jul 07

Fairview Park OH

#9 Oct 1, 2007
Chris wrote:
It will be fun watching Dario in the Acura LMP2 car this weekend at the ALMS race. His contract with AGR expires December 1 and that is the reason he will be racing at Road Atlanta this weekend. Thank god he'll be in a real race car this weekend!
Ah - Yes! a real race fan. NASCAR only has 3 races, the rest of them are just circular demolition derbys. I love the sound & smell of wasted hydrocarbons as much as anybody but I really like seeing Real Driving not just going round & round & round & ........ Too bad Speed doesn't ralize there is already too much NASCAR on too many channels and go back to the ALMS/GP/IMSA & F1 type racing they started with.

AOL

#10 Oct 1, 2007
Chris wrote:
I want him at Talladega :( Chip wants him there really bad, but I guess that's better then nothing.
Chris

Appleton, WI

#11 Oct 1, 2007
Lets go racing wrote:
<quoted text>I want him at Talladega :( Chip wants him there really bad, but I guess that's better then nothing.
I would like to see him prolong his relationship with Honda and help develop the Acura ALMS car even further. It would be cool to see him take that car to the 24 hour of LeMans and give it a go. I love open wheel racing but Iím kind of having an affair with sportscars ha ha
I go to Sebring every March, itís my favorite race of the year!!
Nascar Fan

United States

#12 Oct 1, 2007
Lets go racing wrote:
<quoted text>I was pretty much kidding :) I know it's more "sponsers" then anything.
Good I sure will stick up for that team. I love watching Dario
will support him whatever he drives.
datsyuk fan

Howell, MI

#13 Nov 12, 2007
Lets go racing wrote:
<quoted text>If how poorly Sams doing in qualifying is an indication I'd say Montoya and Franchitti wont have to deal with him too much. I think he should stay in the IRL or it could be career suicide for Sam.
ok but it will be fun wash ing dario racer in the 500 the he will be lockin to the race and wash ashley cheraing on chip ganser race team but dario mit win his year in raceing

AOL

#14 Nov 12, 2007
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>I would like to see him prolong his relationship with Honda and help develop the Acura ALMS car even further. It would be cool to see him take that car to the 24 hour of LeMans and give it a go. I love open wheel racing but Iím kind of having an affair with sportscars ha ha
I go to Sebring every March, itís my favorite race of the year!!
I wish we had more of that around here in Indy, Mindy took pictures and the tracks are great. It'd be kinda different then the dirt tracks from around here, which are so much fun to watch but the speedromes do get old. When Tony was a nobody he'd run at all these tracks and local fairs and they put on a great show but I'd still love to see Brian Herta do his thing on those tracks. Maybe someday :)

“"Racing Rules"”

Since: Dec 06

NHRA

#15 Nov 12, 2007
Lets go racing wrote:
<quoted text>I wish we had more of that around here in Indy, Mindy took pictures and the tracks are great. It'd be kinda different then the dirt tracks from around here, which are so much fun to watch but the speedromes do get old. When Tony was a nobody he'd run at all these tracks and local fairs and they put on a great show but I'd still love to see Brian Herta do his thing on those tracks. Maybe someday :)
Hi Gal,come March when they do the testing for Champ out here at Laguna Seca,i will be sure to get out there and get pictures! Like i said before,i will make sure,the equipment needs updating on that weekend or whenever they plan on doing the testing....shhhhhh don't tell! I hope i can get to chat with some of them.;-)

AOL

#16 Nov 12, 2007
mindy wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Gal,come March when they do the testing for Champ out here at Laguna Seca,i will be sure to get out there and get pictures! Like i said before,i will make sure,the equipment needs updating on that weekend or whenever they plan on doing the testing....shhhhhh don't tell! I hope i can get to chat with some of them.;-)
Hey when Bordais won this weekend I watched I don't watch Champ because the Indycar thing but I got all teary eyed. I'm such a geek.

“"Racing Rules"”

Since: Dec 06

NHRA

#17 Nov 12, 2007
Lets go racing wrote:
<quoted text>Hey when Bordais won this weekend I watched I don't watch Champ because the Indycar thing but I got all teary eyed. I'm such a geek.
I like him.

AOL

#18 Nov 12, 2007
I couldn't find the other Franchitti thread but I wanted to put this flip of his on that one anyways here it is.

I'm thinking that's why Ashley wants him out of indycars, lol.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

David Stremme Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cole Whitt to replace David Stremme at Swan Rac... (Sep '13) Sep '13 RacingFan20 1
News 2-time Daytona 500 winner Michael Waltrip to en... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Terry 5
News Penalties likely for Earnhardt, Waltrip teams (Feb '08) Apr '12 who cares 6
News One wreck knocks two Sprint Cup drivers from field (Dec '10) Dec '10 mg from cedar rap... 1
News Michael Waltrip, David Stremme in new rides, on... (Mar '10) Mar '10 Dillinger 6
News Robby Gordon Attempting to Defend his 2008 Flop... (Aug '09) Sep '09 Dillinger 7
News Robby Gordon attempting to defend his 2008 FLOP... (Aug '09) Aug '09 nasfan55 8