Franchitti celebrates title season

Franchitti celebrates title season

There are 42 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Sep 11, 2007, titled Franchitti celebrates title season. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Dario Franchitti's future was no clearer Tuesday night as he reaped the rewards of his past performances.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

IRL

Chicago, IL

#27 Sep 12, 2007
caribe18 wrote:
If the cab's are so boring how come so many people show up ? Don't comment - I know.
Because they are feeble-minded simpletons.

Ski

“Is It Friday Yet?????”

Since: May 07

Smalltown New York

#29 Sep 12, 2007
VAindycar wrote:
Looks like a sunny day in ChumpCarcass land! Feel the glee... lose an event and reportedly gain an event... all in the same day! Spirits are soaring - no net loss!!!
Yeah....but you can only tread water for so long.
CareerLeader

Louisville, KY

#31 Sep 12, 2007
Rusty wrote:
The challenge of going to NASCAR isn't in the driving. He'll have no problems lugging a big old heavy taxicab around ovals. The challenges will be in putting up with a gruelling schedule where he lives on the road most of the year, works nearly every weekend until the holidays, and is a foreigner in a land of good ol' boys who won't want to draft with him.
Wake up kids...driving an open-wheel open-cockpit car is much more difficult than driving a taxicab.
I believe him when he says he hasn't made up his mind. I've heard rumors that he was offered $30 million for five years. So I'm sure he's thinking about all that money. I can also assure you he's thinking about the demanding schedule, the unfriendly traffic on the oval, and the inability to run the Indy 500 for the next five years or more.
The challenge in Nascar is the tremendous amount of stiff competition.

Open wheel may be more difficult from a technical driving perspective... but in Nascar there is much less room for error. As soon as you screw up in Nascar somebody takes your spot.

In IRL, if you screw up (say spin twice like Danica in Detroit) there's nobody there to pass you and you move right back up front.

Dario's name is already under contract with Ganassi. Members of the media, including Vince Welch have the details of the contract. The entire paddock has known about it for three weeks now.

I'm glad you still have hope, but you need to face reality.
Or maybe

Camby, IN

#32 Sep 12, 2007
nascar wrote:
Watched some of the celebration banquet online and Scott Dixon, at the end of his remarks, welcomed Dario to the family. That would indicate Ganassi and Nascar to me.
I think he meant family of championship winners.

Since: Aug 07

AOL

#33 Sep 12, 2007
Bye Bye Open Wheelers wrote:
Bye Bye Open Wheelers. And OH yeah... "the Greatest Spectacle" NOT the "Greatest Race in Racing". And NOT the "Biggest Purse" or "Biggest Championship Payout" in racing either! Hasn't been in a long time. And that says it all. You can take that to the bank!
You're leaving yes yes yes there is a God ! Goodbye !

AOL

#34 Sep 12, 2007
BET wrote:
No one cares about the IRL or the douche bag drivers.
This sport is as lame as the WNBA!
You're all tore up about it, so you care, if not then go away why come to the Indy car forum?

AOL

#35 Sep 12, 2007
CareerLeader wrote:
<quoted text>
Open wheel may be more difficult from a technical driving perspective... but in Nascar there is much less room for error. As soon as you screw up in Nascar somebody takes your spot.
In IRL, if you screw up (say spin twice like Danica in Detroit) there's nobody there to pass you and you move right back up front.
Dario's name is already under contract with Ganassi. Members of the media, including Vince Welch have the details of the contract. The entire paddock has known about it for three weeks now.
An AGR team member who is in position to put an opinion about this says Dario could sign up for a multiyear deal with Chip and focuses on a mixed stock car schedule next season while running a handful of IRL races (Indy and the street/road circuits). That gives Chip sponsorship leverage for the third IRL car. Who knows just one scenario to put with the latest.

AOL

#36 Sep 12, 2007
CareerLeader wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like Georgetown Rd. the night before the 500 (at least it sounds like that night back in the days when they could fill all of the stands at the track).
Do you not go to the same Indy 500 I go to? The seats are filled, it's always sold out. The only seats I see that aren't full are the media ones and the ones outside the penthouse because the people are in the penthouse instead of outside on their bleacher seats.
Anna

Westfield, IN

#37 Sep 12, 2007
NoAshley wrote:
Well, at least we don't have to hear Ashley's stupid comments after each race anymore.
Agreed. None of the other wives are interviewed for their input, and some of them might have something more intelligent to say (other than b*tching about all of the slower cars on the track).

“Waiting to inhale”

Since: Feb 07

Chicago

#39 Sep 12, 2007
What are the details? CC here seems to imply a partial program in both series…including an Indy 500 defense.

I can see the attraction for that with Dario. He has great respect and sense of history for Indianapolis, so he can defend his title. And…he can kick back a little bit with a huge contract and race less-spine-tingling-for-Ashley stock cars.
CareerLeader wrote:
<quoted text>

“Waiting to inhale”

Chicago

#40 Sep 12, 2007
Also...there are far more perimeter-of-the-track seats...the north end of the track grandstands were greatly expanded back in the mid '90's. Probably over expanded.

My first race was '73, and I'd guess that race day crowds are within 25-30k of what they ever were. It's the rest of the month that's not quite the same attendance-wise.
Lets go racing wrote:
<quoted text>Do you not go to the same Indy 500 I go to? The seats are filled, it's always sold out. The only seats I see that aren't full are the media ones and the ones outside the penthouse because the people are in the penthouse instead of outside on their bleacher seats.

“Waiting to inhale”

Chicago

#41 Sep 12, 2007
I was so embarrassed for Dario with that comment from Ashley (about Milka). She deserved a chewing out when they got home.
Anna wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. None of the other wives are interviewed for their input, and some of them might have something more intelligent to say (other than b*tching about all of the slower cars on the track).
Dario Fan

Milwaukee, WI

#42 Sep 12, 2007
Indycarmike57 wrote:
I was so embarrassed for Dario with that comment from Ashley (about Milka). She deserved a chewing out when they got home.
<quoted text>
I was enbarrassed for him also. I think she needed a good chewing out before she made it home. He needs to tell her to
stay in her seat and not in the winners circle.
ZCHS alum

Louisville, KY

#44 Sep 12, 2007
As a female and an avid Indy Car racing fan I am embarrassed by Ashley's comments... There is a time and place for everything and after Dario won the Chicagoland race was NOT the time to spout off about Milka. Maybe she (Ashley) hasn't been doing much work for Kohl's anymore?:)

AOL

#45 Sep 12, 2007
ZCHS alum wrote:
As a female and an avid Indy Car racing fan I am embarrassed by Ashley's comments... There is a time and place for everything and after Dario won the Chicagoland race was NOT the time to spout off about Milka. Maybe she (Ashley) hasn't been doing much work for Kohl's anymore?:)
You know I'm really surprised she did this, she usually shys from the camera and lets him shine, really. I know it's hard to believe but at Indy they got in her face all the time and she'd try to stand back. She even left the banquet early so he could "shine". So I'm really surprised by her statement I was just as surprised to see a Scotland Flag around her to though when she's not from there, support for Dario I guess.
ZCHS alum

Louisville, KY

#46 Sep 12, 2007
Lets go racing wrote:
<quoted text>You know I'm really surprised she did this, she usually shys from the camera and lets him shine, really. I know it's hard to believe but at Indy they got in her face all the time and she'd try to stand back. She even left the banquet early so he could "shine". So I'm really surprised by her statement I was just as surprised to see a Scotland Flag around her to though when she's not from there, support for Dario I guess.
Oh I know! I worked at IMS and would often see Ashley hiding when she was out in public which is why I thought it was so strange that she let all that out, but I guess she had just been bottling it up for a while? I too was at the banquet and noticed that she disappeared after a while....hmmm.
oh yeah loser

Louisville, KY

#47 Sep 12, 2007
Bye Bye Open Wheelers wrote:
Bye Bye Open Wheelers. And OH yeah... "the Greatest Spectacle" NOT the "Greatest Race in Racing". And NOT the "Biggest Purse" or "Biggest Championship Payout" in racing either! Hasn't been in a long time. And that says it all. You can take that to the bank!
http://plig.org/things/picture s/tn/arguing.med.jpg
ZCHS alum

Louisville, KY

#48 Sep 12, 2007
oh yeah loser wrote:
hahahaha... That was amazing!
NASCRAP is OVERHYPED

West Lafayette, IN

#49 Sep 13, 2007
CareerLeader wrote:
<quoted text>
Stiff competition?!?!?!?! BWHAHAHAHA! Seriously, did you say stiff competition? Give me Gordon, Stewart, Johnson, and maybe one of the Busch bozos and I will give you the rest of the pathetic also-rans and never was "racers" and we will see who has the most victories. BWHAHAHA Stiff competition?!?!? Thanks for making me laugh!:)
Career Leader

Sellersburg, IN

#51 Sep 14, 2007
Lets go racing wrote:
<quoted text>Do you not go to the same Indy 500 I go to? The seats are filled, it's always sold out. The only seats I see that aren't full are the media ones and the ones outside the penthouse because the people are in the penthouse instead of outside on their bleacher seats.
Do you have a view of the north chute or third turns? I will upload some pictures to flickr showing pace laps and green flag laps of these two sections from the viewpoint of the J stand in the fourth turn.

It has not sold out any of the past 4 years. Race tickets have been available up to 4 hours before the race via brickyard.com . The past three seasons, you could purchase 30 tickets in a single block in the north chute as late as the morning of race day.

You sir, have no clue what you are talking about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

David Stremme Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cole Whitt to replace David Stremme at Swan Rac... (Sep '13) Sep '13 RacingFan20 1
News 2-time Daytona 500 winner Michael Waltrip to en... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Terry 5
News Penalties likely for Earnhardt, Waltrip teams (Feb '08) Apr '12 who cares 6
News One wreck knocks two Sprint Cup drivers from field (Dec '10) Dec '10 mg from cedar rap... 1
News Michael Waltrip, David Stremme in new rides, on... (Mar '10) Mar '10 Dillinger 6
News Robby Gordon Attempting to Defend his 2008 Flop... (Aug '09) Sep '09 Dillinger 7
News Robby Gordon attempting to defend his 2008 FLOP... (Aug '09) Aug '09 nasfan55 8
More from around the web