Montoya Looks To Wrap Up Top Rookie Honors

Nov 14, 2007 Full story: Paddock Talk 33

Juan Pablo Montoya holds a 21-point lead over David Ragan with one race left in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup season. via Paddock Talk

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Louie Thompson

Williamston, SC

#1 Nov 18, 2007
Juan finished in 15th and Ragan finished 10th at homestead. I heard Montoya was still ahead but the panel was going to vote on who would get it? Thats confusing cause i thought its who's in the points lead. I hope Juan gets it and he should.

Since: May 07

Spokane, WA

#2 Nov 18, 2007
Louie Thompson wrote:
Juan finished in 15th and Ragan finished 10th at homestead. I heard Montoya was still ahead but the panel was going to vote on who would get it? Thats confusing cause i thought its who's in the points lead. I hope Juan gets it and he should.
Hey Louie, I have to hand it to your boy, he certainly stepped it up a few notches and surprised a lot of us this year. I had said some things about JP in the beginning, and now humbly I must admit I was wrong. WAY TO GO JP! Now if the others can adjust and do as well. Kudos to you!! Cant wait for 08!!

Since: Aug 07

AOL

#3 Nov 18, 2007
Oh yeah, it's his it was damned close I think that little Ragan he's not too shabby. But Juan is the man !
Louie Thompson

Williamston, SC

#4 Nov 18, 2007
Tamara24 wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Louie, I have to hand it to your boy, he certainly stepped it up a few notches and surprised a lot of us this year. I had said some things about JP in the beginning, and now humbly I must admit I was wrong. WAY TO GO JP! Now if the others can adjust and do as well. Kudos to you!! Cant wait for 08!!
Thank you Tamara.:) Yes you said things in the beginning but it was true, he was too impatient and reckless at times but thats all part of his learning curve. Just like the other rookies they just need time in these cars. But WOW! Hendrick domination was insane lol. Both Jeff and Jimmie showed class and made me a fan. But Monty is still my boy ;). I cant wait for 08 season too. It's gonna be weird not watching races on the weekends til Feb.:( But i recorded a couple of the big races and some wind tunnel shows so that should keep me from going crazy til 08. ;)
Louie Thompson

Williamston, SC

#5 Nov 18, 2007
Lets go racing wrote:
Oh yeah, it's his it was damned close I think that little Ragan he's not too shabby. But Juan is the man !
Yes it was close. Ragan was sneaking up on Juan every race for the rookie title. Ragan is very well spoken, if you watch his interviews he's seems like a smart guy but i wouldnt piss him off cause he used to be a boxer.:)Congrats juan! I wonder if Harvick and juan ever made peace.
James

AOL

#6 Nov 18, 2007
Juan Montoya is definitely the 2007 rookie of the year in my book! Not so much because he finished ahead of the other contenders in the points! but because he came from open wheel racing in which his whole career was based on, and all of his experience and knowledge of racing was of open wheel racing, and then he switched to stock cars with no prior experience or time spent in the development series's of nascar and went in there and held his own with the biggest stars of the sport and did beat out the other rookie contenders who all had much prior preparation for the cup series! I think that if there was a "open wheele Driver making the switch to nascar" category! Montoya would also win that tital as well. granted the other open wheel guys with the exception of AJ Almondinger all had very little time to do much of anything, If you look at Montoya compared with Jaques Villenueve, Sam Hornish, Dario Franchitti and particulary Almendinger! Juan was way ahead of those guys at the same point as where they are, and that says a lot! just look at those names! Hornish JR, Villenueve and Franchitt. But I do expect that all of those drivers who I have mentioned are going to be very successful in Nascar! and I am happy that Montoya got his rookie season out of the way, and with his acquired experience and testing over the off season! he should be ready to go and be a serious contender for poles, race wins and maybe even the chase and the championship in 2008! Good job and congratulations to Juan Montoya and the whole Gannasi team who really stepped things up in the seconed half of the season!

Since: Aug 07

AOL

#7 Nov 19, 2007
Louie Thompson wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Tamara.:) Yes you said things in the beginning but it was true, he was too impatient and reckless at times but thats all part of his learning curve. Just like the other rookies they just need time in these cars. But WOW! Hendrick domination was insane lol. Both Jeff and Jimmie showed class and made me a fan. But Monty is still my boy ;). I cant wait for 08 season too. It's gonna be weird not watching races on the weekends til Feb.:( But i recorded a couple of the big races and some wind tunnel shows so that should keep me from going crazy til 08. ;)
I have the Nascar primetime on my tivo as well as the Ultimate Nascar and Nascar Now. Whenever I need a fix I can go back and watch them too! I hope Juans equipment can match his potential next year I know he can do it. That's his deal he's agressive but you have to have the equipment and judgement at the same time. I would love to see Chip and JPM at the Brickyards winner circle.

Since: Aug 07

AOL

#8 Nov 19, 2007
James wrote:
Juan Montoya is definitely the 2007 rookie of the year in my book! Not so much because he finished ahead of the other contenders in the points! but because he came from open wheel racing in which his whole career was based on, and all of his experience and knowledge of racing was of open wheel racing, and then he switched to stock cars with no prior experience or time spent in the development series's of nascar and went in there and held his own with the biggest stars of the sport and did beat out the other rookie contenders who all had much prior preparation for the cup series! I think that if there was a "open wheele Driver making the switch to nascar" category! Montoya would also win that tital as well. granted the other open wheel guys with the exception of AJ Almondinger all had very little time to do much of anything, If you look at Montoya compared with Jaques Villenueve, Sam Hornish, Dario Franchitti and particulary Almendinger! Juan was way ahead of those guys at the same point as where they are, and that says a lot! just look at those names! Hornish JR, Villenueve and Franchitt. But I do expect that all of those drivers who I have mentioned are going to be very successful in Nascar! and I am happy that Montoya got his rookie season out of the way, and with his acquired experience and testing over the off season! he should be ready to go and be a serious contender for poles, race wins and maybe even the chase and the championship in 2008! Good job and congratulations to Juan Montoya and the whole Gannasi team who really stepped things up in the seconed half of the season!
Thanks James, I love it when someone says good things about Juan :) I hope you're right about the others as well especially JV, I always liked his 500 win so he's a stand out to me ;) Oh and of course Dario ! Go Ganassi!
Cooper

Atlanta, GA

#9 Nov 19, 2007
Did anyone catch what the announcers where saying about Montoya during the Homestead race about his car setup this season? Apparently Ganassi has purposely kept Montoya's car tight all year and only recently started loosening it up. Running as well as he has several times this year, I am really excited to see how he'll do with a fully capable car.

Since: Aug 07

AOL

#10 Nov 19, 2007
Cooper wrote:
Did anyone catch what the announcers where saying about Montoya during the Homestead race about his car setup this season? Apparently Ganassi has purposely kept Montoya's car tight all year and only recently started loosening it up. Running as well as he has several times this year, I am really excited to see how he'll do with a fully capable car.
I heard that and then I heard them say that they were going to loosen it and he said no keep it like that or something so he can learn. I have no doubt he'll get better next year :) I can't wait! Come on 2008 !
Chris

United States

#11 Nov 19, 2007
Soon you stock car fans will witness the brilliance, intelligence and attitude that made open wheel fans either love or hate Montoya. I will never see him race again but I wish him well and will check the box scores on Monday to see where he finished.
Cooper

Atlanta, GA

#12 Nov 19, 2007
Chris wrote:
Soon you stock car fans will witness the brilliance, intelligence and attitude that made open wheel fans either love or hate Montoya. I will never see him race again but I wish him well and will check the box scores on Monday to see where he finished.
You'll never see him race again - are you giving up TV?

“"Racing Rules"”

Since: Dec 06

NHRA

#13 Nov 19, 2007
Chris wrote:
Soon you stock car fans will witness the brilliance, intelligence and attitude that made open wheel fans either love or hate Montoya. I will never see him race again but I wish him well and will check the box scores on Monday to see where he finished.
What's up Chris? Like someone else just said,are you giving up Tv? Hey,i know you are not a Nascar fan but at least watch JPM on the road course ok? ;-)
Chris

United States

#14 Nov 19, 2007
Cooper wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll never see him race again - are you giving up TV?
I don't watch NASCAR. If he does the 24 Hours of Daytona I'll see him though

“"Racing Rules"”

Since: Dec 06

NHRA

#15 Nov 19, 2007
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>I don't watch NASCAR. If he does the 24 Hours of Daytona I'll see him though
Thats a great race! ;-)

“JRW 88 Fan 4 Life!!”

Since: Jul 07

EARNHARDTVILLE

#16 Nov 19, 2007
Lets go racing wrote:
<quoted text>I heard that and then I heard them say that they were going to loosen it and he said no keep it like that or something so he can learn. I have no doubt he'll get better next year :) I can't wait! Come on 2008 !
Montoya ..is a fast learner of the tracks..He will be one to watch in 08 ,or at least i feel he will. Great job Montoya!
Chris

United States

#17 Nov 19, 2007
mindy wrote:
<quoted text>What's up Chris? Like someone else just said,are you giving up Tv? Hey,i know you are not a Nascar fan but at least watch JPM on the road course ok? ;-)
Hey Mindy!

Ok, I might tune in twice a year for the roadcourse events.
Iíve been a little busy. Just bought a house and will be closing on December 10! I canít wait. The timing with Thanksgiving and Christmas make it kind of difficult but thatís ok with me.
The Packers are 9-1 and rolling so thatís a good thing.
How have you been?

Since: Aug 07

AOL

#18 Nov 19, 2007
Chris wrote:
Soon you stock car fans will witness the brilliance, intelligence and attitude that made open wheel fans either love or hate Montoya. I will never see him race again but I wish him well and will check the box scores on Monday to see where he finished.
Chris uh I've been saying this all along and you know I love him!!!!!! So glad to see him race so much. How r u doing?

“"Racing Rules"”

Since: Dec 06

NHRA

#19 Nov 19, 2007
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Mindy!
Ok, I might tune in twice a year for the roadcourse events.
Iíve been a little busy. Just bought a house and will be closing on December 10! I canít wait. The timing with Thanksgiving and Christmas make it kind of difficult but thatís ok with me.
The Packers are 9-1 and rolling so thatís a good thing.
How have you been?
That is so great! ;-)How exciting! I remember how that feels! You can't wait to start arranging things and i think i planted a garden first actually! Happy House Warming!
Chris

United States

#20 Nov 19, 2007
Lets go racing wrote:
<quoted text>Chris uh I've been saying this all along and you know I love him!!!!!! So glad to see him race so much. How r u doing?
Iím doing real good. How are you?
I remember Montoyaís dominance in CART in 1999. It was incredible. He had the fastest hands and reaction time that not many drivers could match. Other than maybe Zanardi.
I read today that DaMatta is looking to return to racing. That would be cool.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

David Ragan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chase Elliott Wins 46th Annual Snowball Derby, ... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Joe 3
David Ragan steals last-lap victory at Talladega (May '13) May '13 barr 2
NASCAR driver visits Greenville hospital (Mar '12) Mar '12 Hilton Head 1
NASCAR Stars David Ragan And Kyle Busch Headlin... (Jan '12) Feb '12 whatever 3
NASCAR Star Kyle Busch And Dawsonville's Chase ... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Rabman 2
Roush Fenway Racing lays off employees as it do... (Nov '11) Nov '11 Buck Foston 2
David Ragan wins pole at Indianapolis (Jul '11) Jul '11 Gomer 1
•••
•••

David Ragan People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••