Yates Fighting for Survival

Jan 26, 2008 Full story: The Associated Press

“It just takes all the wind out of the sails for everybody. I'm excited about having one car to work on this year.”

The name Yates used to mean royalty in NASCAR. A dominant operation that others tried to catch, the race team reached its high when Dale Jarrett won the 1999 Cup championship.

So it was striking Tuesday when Doug Yates, who took over the operation from father Robert in the offseason, sat in a wing of Roush Fenway Racing's giant complex and talked about how lean his operation could be, and whether he could get through the season without a primary sponsorship for either of his Sprint Cup cars. Read more

Full Story
Gary Holmes

London, Canada

#1 Jan 26, 2008
To bad about Yates and its nascars fault, lots of empty seats out there just because nascar wanted it to be like W.W.E (fake,fake) circus style and make silly rules so drivers dont muss their hair (gotta look good for sponsers on camera) just no more excitement (might get hurt) Start the race later to try and grab prime time,,slap on 100% more commercials and stick a bunch of no interest people in the booth and its down the tube we go....
Gary Holmes

London, Canada

#2 Jan 26, 2008
Dale sr. and Jimmy Spencer are the only drivers that said it like it was(lousy rules,to costly for tickets and no enjoyment driving) one is dead and the other is no longer in the morons hotel (booth) nascar dont like anyone that knows to much or so it seems,,greed does it every time and if it works, they try and fix it..........

Since: May 07

United States

#3 Jan 27, 2008
(think) I read somewhere that DJ is taking over Rusty's spot in the morons hotel. Read on another thread that whatever Rusty said - Andy would repeat it. Sounded like the Andy Griffith show.

Anyway, we wanted to go to either Kansas or Michigan last year (both about 8 hours away - driving from where we were at the time). We put the pencil to the paper and after figuring in time off work, gas, campground, food, tickets - it would cost around $1,000 to go.

Roommate went to Texas a couple of years ago with group in motorhome. They stayed in the campground (not infield) and split the above mentioned expenses. That "only" cost him $500.00. Guess he got off easy.
Gary Holmes

London, Canada

#4 Jan 27, 2008
theo wrote:
(think) I read somewhere that DJ is taking over Rusty's spot in the morons hotel. Read on another thread that whatever Rusty said - Andy would repeat it. Sounded like the Andy Griffith show.
Anyway, we wanted to go to either Kansas or Michigan last year (both about 8 hours away - driving from where we were at the time). We put the pencil to the paper and after figuring in time off work, gas, campground, food, tickets - it would cost around $1,000 to go.
Roommate went to Texas a couple of years ago with group in motorhome. They stayed in the campground (not infield) and split the above mentioned expenses. That "only" cost him $500.00. Guess he got off easy.
Yea,,that sounds right, the last time l went to Mich sp.wy it cost me about $500-600 U.S, l camped at junniper hills and that cost $200 but l was there 4 days and nights, vodka and mix $100, food, ladies etc.ate up the rest...ready maybe to go again

Since: May 07

United States

#5 Jan 27, 2008
Go over to TGOM and they have the scoop on Rusty out and DJ in plus comments. It seems all are happy about this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

David Gilliland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NASCAR adds Gordon to Chase field amid controversy (Sep '13) Sep '13 WHOYAKIDDING 14
David Gilliland to Danica Patrick: 'shut up and... (Apr '13) Apr '13 dwarfica 15
Paul Menard Nation (Did Not Stutter) & Bristol:... (Mar '11) Mar '11 one of a kind 3
Dale Earnhardt Jr. third in first Sprint Cup pr... (Aug '10) Aug '10 Booo Jooonyer 10
David Gilliland and more news.. (Nov '09) Nov '09 Skipper 2
Gibbs gives Gilliland chance to qualify fourth car (Sep '09) Sep '09 The New Twenty 3
David Gilliland Entered in California (Feb '09) Jul '09 Andy Cooper 4
More from around the web