Toyota Struggling in Nextel Cup Debut

Toyota Struggling in Nextel Cup Debut

There are 108 comments on the The Associated Press story from Mar 14, 2007, titled Toyota Struggling in Nextel Cup Debut . In it, The Associated Press reports that:

Everyone expected Toyota to storm into NASCAR and quickly buy its way to the top of the Nextel Cup series.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Associated Press.

wake up

West Bloomfield, MI

#22 Mar 18, 2007
toyota is not made in the US.... it is assembled in the US. the parts are made overseas...... thats where all the jobs are at. it is time to wake up USA... find your loyalty in your country. if you dont soon enough were gonna become the largest third world country.
Renee

Scottsdale, AZ

#23 Mar 18, 2007
wake up wrote:
toyota is not made in the US.... it is assembled in the US. the parts are made overseas...... thats where all the jobs are at. it is time to wake up USA... find your loyalty in your country. if you dont soon enough were gonna become the largest third world country.
Wow, you don't read do you? Check out the Wall Street Journal. We know how credible they are. They ran a piece a few months back showing how the Toyota Sienna is made IN THE US with 95% AMERICAN parts and it's also the number 1 selling minivan with the highest safety rating. Please check the facts BEFORE post garbage.
Duane

United States

#24 Mar 19, 2007
Go back to Japan and race where you can compete. You're race results are perfect as far as I'm concerned. I hope the race results start helping Toyota's sales to go down too. Go back to Japan and stay there.
Duane

United States

#25 Mar 19, 2007
wake up wrote:
toyota is not made in the US.... it is assembled in the US. the parts are made overseas...... thats where all the jobs are at. it is time to wake up USA... find your loyalty in your country. if you dont soon enough were gonna become the largest third world country.
You hit it right on the head, have some AMERICAN pride and quit buying foreign products. Where do you think the profits go? Pretty soon they'll own the USA before we know it.
Renee

Scottsdale, AZ

#26 Mar 20, 2007
Duane wrote:
<quoted text>You hit it right on the head, have some AMERICAN pride and quit buying foreign products. Where do you think the profits go? Pretty soon they'll own the USA before we know it.
If you think that, you are truly deranged. Go live in France then.
Duane

United States

#27 Mar 20, 2007
Renee wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think that, you are truly deranged. Go live in France then.
Obviously, you own a foreign car. Whatever jobs they create, they take away from our American manufactures in the long run. From you're above quote you must deep down feel guilty.
gmb

Orangeburg, NY

#28 Mar 20, 2007
Renne, thank you for the Wallstreet Journal article link. You left out an awe full lot of info and I would urge everybody to look it up and read. The Sienna is 90% N American parts.but the article really goes on to talk about how much more GM etc does for the USA economy in terms of people employed as to what little Totota does. Read it folks. It's really boils down to helping your fellow American out. Look whats going on in Detroit City Nuff said. Toyota is a savy company ( except Nextel Cup )Hell with all the TAX credits they got I surprised every car company from around the world is not building here. We are giving away the candy store while GM and Ford are paying our fathers and grandfathers for there pensions as a loyal American Co should.
MarkL

Chesterfield, MO

#29 Mar 20, 2007
wake up wrote:
toyota is not made in the US.... it is assembled in the US. the parts are made overseas...... thats where all the jobs are at. it is time to wake up USA... find your loyalty in your country. if you dont soon enough were gonna become the largest third world country.
Sounds like you have an arguement with those polititions who wrote the free trade laws that allowed Toyota and other foreign automakes to have their stake in American society.

As a race fan I can root for who I want to. There is nothing in the NASCAR constitiution that states that cars that race in NASCAR must be "American made," whatever that means anymore. Times and things change, that is the way of the world. There is no reason why if I drive Toyota, that I cannot root for Toyota on Friday thru Sunday. There is also no reason why if I am one of the hundreds of thousands of American Toyota EMPLOYEES that I cannot do the same.

There is not one car company in the US that does not do business overseas. There is not one Japanise car company that sells cars in the US that does not employee an army of Americans.

This is not 1960.

Do not insult people by infering that they should think like that. You only show your stubbornness to change.

By the way... The Iron Curtain fell a few years back!
WWE NASCAR

United States

#30 Mar 20, 2007
Just read a story by By JENNA FRYER AP Auto Racing Writer about Michael Waltrip's bumbling ownership / management of his race team.

A quote from the story:

"there are plenty of people who are all too happy to sit back and watch Waltrip struggle.
At his emotional news conference in Daytona where he said he had no idea how a fuel additive found its way into his gas tank detractors were convinced they were witnessing the best performance of Waltrip's life. And plenty of people still aren't convinced Waltrip wasn't an accomplice to the cheating."

Waltrip suckered Toyota and NAPA, he has always been a below average driver, but an above average NASCAR clown. Now here's the topper, WWE NASCAR is sent an offical to his shop to help him prepare his cars for races. That would be like major league baseball sending a special pitching coach to the Yankees because their bull pen was not doing too well, what BS.

Rest assured WWE-NASCAR fans NASCAR will find a way to get Mikey's cars competitive: wink wink
Renee

Scottsdale, AZ

#31 Mar 20, 2007
Duane wrote:
<quoted text> Obviously, you own a foreign car. Whatever jobs they create, they take away from our American manufactures in the long run. From you're above quote you must deep down feel guilty.
No Duane. Actually I've never owned a foreign car. I've only owned Fords, Pontiacs, Buick, and Mercury(ie: another Ford). I currently drive a 2007 Ford Fusion that we just bought earlier this month.

Got any other attempted insults? Oh and before you can call me "unpatriotic" or "unAmerican", remember my husband, father, brother-in-law, father-in-law, 5 uncles, ALL grandparents, and 1 great-uncle that I know of are/were military. My husband currently serves active duty at Luke Air Force Base here in the Phoenix area and I am sure he'd love for you to come up to his face and call us "unAmerican"
Renee

Scottsdale, AZ

#32 Mar 20, 2007
WWE NASCAR wrote:
Just read a story by By JENNA FRYER AP Auto Racing Writer about Michael Waltrip's bumbling ownership / management of his race team.
A quote from the story:
"there are plenty of people who are all too happy to sit back and watch Waltrip struggle.
At his emotional news conference in Daytona where he said he had no idea how a fuel additive found its way into his gas tank detractors were convinced they were witnessing the best performance of Waltrip's life. And plenty of people still aren't convinced Waltrip wasn't an accomplice to the cheating."
Waltrip suckered Toyota and NAPA, he has always been a below average driver, but an above average NASCAR clown. Now here's the topper, WWE NASCAR is sent an offical to his shop to help him prepare his cars for races. That would be like major league baseball sending a special pitching coach to the Yankees because their bull pen was not doing too well, what BS.
Rest assured WWE-NASCAR fans NASCAR will find a way to get Mikey's cars competitive: wink wink
What part of NASCAR is trying to help his team figure out why their cars are not matching the templates do you not understand. They'll do it for ANY car owner that asks. Would you be laughing if Hendrick did it? Or Roush? Gibbs? I bet not.

Sure, Michael isn't the greatest driver around, but that's not was sponsorship is about. It's about who will get your company's name out there, and who better than Michael can do it. He's gotten a HELL of alot of exposure for Napa, UPS, Domino's, and BK for being the ONLY owner brave enough to start up a brand new team with 3 cars and have them all make the Daytona 500. Where was Bill Davis' second car during the Daytona 500? Oh yeah, at the shop. Where were the Red Bull cars. Oh yeah, they joined Bill Davis' cars at the shop. Where were all 3 of Michael's cars? On the track racing.
Since then, where has Jeremy Mayfield's car been? Oh yeah, at the shop. What about Allmendinger? He joined Jeremy. Vickers made 2 races, Reut made two races, and Michael made 1 so far.
So it's not ONLY Michael's team that struggling. His team is doing well compared to the others. Sure NASCAR will do what they can, within limits to help. They are just checking the templates and finding out what's up with why they aren't matching when they get to the track. That's the only thing they are helping with. Michael's getting help from Toyota too but they are supposed to be doing that.
WWE NASCAR

United States

#33 Mar 21, 2007
Renee take another gulp of NASCAR Koolaid. Waltrip is a good looking boob with a hick accent. Cheating and lying is no way to run a race team, he should have stuck to playing the fool on all those dopey NASCAR shows and filling the weekly grid. Toyota and NAPA know they made a big mistake.
Whoyakidding

Raleigh, NC

#34 Mar 21, 2007
I wrote several times last spring and summer what I thought the outcome of Michael Waltrip trying to start a full-blown Nextel Cup operation would be. Now I have a guilt complex because I feel like I jinxed the man by what I wrote because it's all came true so far. When you're the town clown it's hard to be taken serious when you want people to take you serious. I based my opinions last year on his limited success with his Busch car operation and his limited success as Cup driver when driving was his only duty. I truely hope Michael gets a handle on it before everything unravels on him. Unless something dramatic happens by year end I would be willing to bet there will only be two of the original Toyota teams that will come back next year.
Renee

Scottsdale, AZ

#35 Mar 21, 2007
WWE NASCAR wrote:
Renee take another gulp of NASCAR Koolaid. Waltrip is a good looking boob with a hick accent. Cheating and lying is no way to run a race team, he should have stuck to playing the fool on all those dopey NASCAR shows and filling the weekly grid. Toyota and NAPA know they made a big mistake.
Prove he cheated and lied buddy. You don't know that HE did anything. Someone put that stuff there, but nobody has any proof that Michael knew about it or lied to cover it up. You got proof that he knew? Let's hear it. Just because he's the team owner and driver of that particular car doesn't mean anything except that he'll take responsibility when everything happens, and he did. He said they don't know how it happened but they are trying to find out. After the incident with Kevin Harvick's helmet being stolen from the garage, it just goes to prove ANYONE could have slipped that crap into the gas tank of the car.
Ricky Bobby

Charlottetown, Canada

#36 Mar 21, 2007
I am glad Toyota is sucking so bad, Mikey is going to lose NAPA as a sponser!! woohooooooooo!!
Renee

Scottsdale, AZ

#37 Mar 21, 2007
Whoyakidding wrote:
I wrote several times last spring and summer what I thought the outcome of Michael Waltrip trying to start a full-blown Nextel Cup operation would be. Now I have a guilt complex because I feel like I jinxed the man by what I wrote because it's all came true so far. When you're the town clown it's hard to be taken serious when you want people to take you serious. I based my opinions last year on his limited success with his Busch car operation and his limited success as Cup driver when driving was his only duty. I truely hope Michael gets a handle on it before everything unravels on him. Unless something dramatic happens by year end I would be willing to bet there will only be two of the original Toyota teams that will come back next year.
Don't feel bad about that. You only wrote your opinion as a writer. You didn't jinx him. It's just a hard thing to do, but so far his team is doing best out of them all. Bill Davis' teams are sucking hard and so is Red Bull.
NIMBY Island

United States

#38 Mar 21, 2007
Whoyakidding wrote:
I wrote several times last spring and summer what I thought the outcome of Michael Waltrip trying to start a full-blown Nextel Cup operation would be. Now I have a guilt complex because I feel like I jinxed the man by what I wrote because it's all came true so far. When you're the town clown it's hard to be taken serious when you want people to take you serious. I based my opinions last year on his limited success with his Busch car operation and his limited success as Cup driver when driving was his only duty. I truely hope Michael gets a handle on it before everything unravels on him. Unless something dramatic happens by year end I would be willing to bet there will only be two of the original Toyota teams that will come back next year.
Well said, if Michael has half a brain he'd hire someone to run the operation, while he basically clowns around, shakes hands, and maybe someday consistantly finishes in the top 30.

Renee, maybe Jr sleazed into Michael's garage and put that crap in the car; revenge for stealing NAPA. LOL
Duane

United States

#39 Mar 21, 2007
I have nothing buy respect for everyone who has or is serving in the military.
Duane

United States

#40 Mar 21, 2007
My highlight of last weeks race was seeing one Toyota smashed and out of the race and the other one going backwards being pushed by a Dodge. I am trying to figure out why Renee is so nuts about Toyotas.I can have my opinion too. Threating someone on here is going too far.
Renee

Scottsdale, AZ

#41 Mar 21, 2007
NIMBY Island wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said, if Michael has half a brain he'd hire someone to run the operation, while he basically clowns around, shakes hands, and maybe someday consistantly finishes in the top 30.
Renee, maybe Jr sleazed into Michael's garage and put that crap in the car; revenge for stealing NAPA. LOL
Michael has the same guy that Dale Earnhardt had running DEI before it went downhill thanks to Teresa and Richie Gilmore. Ty Norris is an awesome man and between him, Michael, and Michael's wife Buffy, they know what they are doing. They'll get past this whole "scandel" and get the team on track. They've already made moves to do that, but it takes time. Won't happen overnight.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dave Blaney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dale Earnhardt Jr. has concussion, out 2 races (Oct '12) Oct '12 snow 115
News Dale Earnhardt Jr. has concussion, out 2 races (Oct '12) Oct '12 Sidney 13
News David Reutimann lands a Cup ride with Tommy Bal... (Jan '12) Sep '12 Triple C 13
News 2012 Daytona 500 (Duel 2): Chevrolet NASCAR Spr... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Ed W 1
News Tuesday is tribute to area racing legend (Jul '11) Jul '11 Doris B 6
News Chili Bowl 1993: Dave Blaney Shines In Chili Bo... (Dec '10) Dec '10 RUTTROSMOKESMOJO 1
News Bad Economy Plays Into Some Drivers Hands, Dave... (Sep '10) Sep '10 Jester51 1
More from around the web