Gordon Wins Talladega, Grabs Points L...

Gordon Wins Talladega, Grabs Points Lead

There are 14 comments on the The Associated Press story from Oct 8, 2007, titled Gordon Wins Talladega, Grabs Points Lead . In it, The Associated Press reports that:

“I suspect this is just too much for us to overcome regarding the championship”

Jeff Gordon surged past Jimmie Johnson on the final lap at Talladega Superspeedway then held off his teammate Sunday to become the career victory leader at restrictor-plate tracks.

Gordon, who scored his 12th victory on a plate track, used the win to move back on top of the points standings with six races remaining in the Chase for the championship. He leads Johnson by nine points.

But the four-time series champion had a bizarre race by his standards, electing to run near the back of the pack to avoid projected hairy racing conditions created by the Car of Tomorrow. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Associated Press.

beytop

La Jolla, CA

#1 Oct 8, 2007
Again yesterday Jeff displayed his superior driving skills. To come from the back of the pack with the others and avoid the wrecks and to patiently lay back for the moment to strike takes incredible skills. He had the car to do it, and the ability to get it done. He used the cars around him to his advantage without causing any wrecks. Jeff Gordon is one of the greats and will go down in Nascar history as such.

anderson 24

“Obama Express”

Since: Dec 06

yes we can*health reform**

#2 Oct 8, 2007
he is already in the history books an will continue on to break all records..lov the guy..

Since: Apr 07

United States

#3 Oct 8, 2007
anderson 24 wrote:
he is already in the history books an will continue on to break all records..lov the guy..
Really?

“Racing = Life”

Since: May 07

Hutch

#4 Oct 8, 2007
Amazing ending.
:)
Guy has skills.
JR-SR FAN

Raleigh, NC

#5 Oct 8, 2007
Whether Jeff Gordon wins the championship this year or not, it will have been an outstanding year for him. The fact that he was patient and didn't risk his car till he had to seems to really be burning some of the folks on here up. Smoke raced his butt off all day and what did it get him, 8th place. WOW! Get over it Folks, the man just demonstrated why he is such a winner. He adapts to the whole situation not just what is happening in front of him at that instant. Look at it this way, the fact that he had a car of coming to the front when he decided it was time to go is the prime reason my man will be driving a HMS bowtie next year.

anderson 24

“Obama Express”

yes we can*health reform**

#6 Oct 8, 2007
jr. is gonna be great in 08....very smart race jeff drove..
Twenty Four

AOL

#8 Oct 11, 2007
Jeff is currently at his best. He is very impressive with respect to what? With respect to his competition! There are so many variables involved during any race/track/car from instant to instant at such high speed that the narrow margin that decides who "is, or who "will be the greatest race car driver among so many highly talented; has not been standardized. Clearly Jeff Gordon would be included in the top few elite! His Talladega victory was in a class by itself! JEFF YOU ARE IMPRESSIVE!

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#9 Oct 11, 2007
Yes, Jeff is impressive. But with that said,let's go to Lowe's! Hopefully Jeff will pay Tony back for that little helpful nudge he gave him last week!

GO SMOKE!

:-)
willow

Coaticook, Canada

#10 Oct 13, 2007
Tony Rules wrote:
Yes, Jeff is impressive. But with that said,let's go to Lowe's! Hopefully Jeff will pay Tony back for that little helpful nudge he gave him last week!
GO SMOKE!
:-)
Tony was using Jeff as much as he was helping him. Was this your first race?

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#11 Oct 13, 2007
willow wrote:
<quoted text>
My first race? Whatever-I was trying to be nice, not a smart a$$ like you .

“Smoke and the Rocketman”

Since: Jan 07

United States

#12 Oct 13, 2007
Last night, Dr Jerry Punch finally talked about how well Tony raced at the end of Dega. They said that if Jeff would not have come up in front of Tony, Tony would have won that race. Tony Stewart is the best racer out there. period.
AFT-1

Nashville, TN

#13 Oct 13, 2007
When I saw how far back Jeff Gordon was I changed channels because I can't bear to see him lose.
When I saw how far back in the pack Jeff Gordon was, I changed channels because I can't bear to see him lose. You can imagine how OVERJOYED I was later to hear that he had WON!!!!!!WHAT AN OUTSTANDING YOUNG MAN HE IS!!!!!!!

“smokes~ mojo”

kepin' the ears on the big dog

#14 Oct 13, 2007
willow wrote:
<quoted text>
go blow and bend in the wind willow ..its obvious it might been your first race though @);0)~~~~
willow

Canada

#15 Oct 13, 2007
ruttrosmokesmojo wrote:
<quoted text> go blow and bend in the wind willow ..its obvious it might been your first race though @);0)~~~~
Looks like I hit a nerve.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dave Blaney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dale Earnhardt Jr. has concussion, out 2 races (Oct '12) Oct '12 snow 115
News Dale Earnhardt Jr. has concussion, out 2 races (Oct '12) Oct '12 Sidney 13
News David Reutimann lands a Cup ride with Tommy Bal... (Jan '12) Sep '12 Triple C 13
News 2012 Daytona 500 (Duel 2): Chevrolet NASCAR Spr... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Ed W 1
News Tuesday is tribute to area racing legend (Jul '11) Jul '11 Doris B 6
News Chili Bowl 1993: Dave Blaney Shines In Chili Bo... (Dec '10) Dec '10 RUTTROSMOKESMOJO 1
News Bad Economy Plays Into Some Drivers Hands, Dave... (Sep '10) Sep '10 Jester51 1
More from around the web