Gillett Evernham-Petty to replace No. 10 with 44

Jan 19, 2009 | Posted by: Shut up n drive | Full story: sports.espn.go.com

The No. 44 will replace the No. 10 as the fourth car at the new Sprint Cup organization formed by the merger between Gillett Evernham Motorsports and Petty Enterprises.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
Courteney

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2009

How come the number change. I don't get it.

“Sprint Cup Series Champion”

Since: Nov 08

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2009

Me either.

Since: Oct 08

San Luis Obispo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2009

Maybe a sponser liked 44 better then 10

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2009

That's it.

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2009

The numbers 42, 43 and 44 have a long history in the Petty Organization. The number 45 that Kyle has been using was to be the number for Adam so it could not be used to add recognition to the new team but the 44 could.
Dave

Jackson, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2009

Who is Adam?

“Let's go racing!!!!”

Since: Dec 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2009

Dave wrote:
Who is Adam?
He was Kyle Petty's son. He died May 12,2000 at a practice session at New Hampshire Speedway. He was driving a Busch Cup car. He was something like 19 or 20 at the time.

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2009

GOTALIFE wrote:
<quoted text>
He was Kyle Petty's son. He died May 12,2000 at a practice session at New Hampshire Speedway. He was driving a Busch Cup car. He was something like 19 or 20 at the time.
That's so sad.
Voice of Reality

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2009

Judged:

Whoyakidding wrote:
The numbers 42, 43 and 44 have a long history in the Petty Organization. The number 45 that Kyle has been using was to be the number for Adam so it could not be used to add recognition to the new team but the 44 could.
Actually the #44 did not have a long history with the Petty Organization, that number only came into play the year after Richard retired, with the main car carrying that number instead of the #43 for the first year after the retirement.

The storied history of the Petty Organization during the "Glory Days" the numbers most often used were the #s 41-43 With 41 being the non family member number, Jim Pascal drove that car for a few years,#42 being the original number of Papa Lee Petty and we all know who used the #43.

The #45 came into play for Adam as being a number that would be associated with Adam and not a hand me down number. Kyle did start using it after Adam died as a tribute to his late son.

I believe the reason for the #10 being switched to #44 was just for number connection, so that the team could be #9 and #19 then #43 and #44, this would be easy association for the four cars.

Now for my last soapbox statement, I say put the #3 on another car, there is no magic in that number and to place that number on some high level as to make untouchable is throwing dirt in the face of every other driver to drive and die in NASCAR. If you are going to allow the #3 to be not used then pull the #8 and #7 as both were numbers that champions had who died defending their championships. Next you must look at #71,#22 and of other numbers that were on the doors of cars in which Cup drives were killed in. Come on people Sr. was a great driver, but isnt eight years enough time to honor a driver by making that number more than it is?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Darrell Waltrip Discussions

Search the Darrell Waltrip Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Has the Jeremy Mayfield Saga Gone on Too Long? Jan '14 Whoyakidding 2
Bobby Labonte's start streak to end at 704 (Jun '13) Oct '13 WHOYAKIDDING 11
Bobby Labonte streak set to end at 704 starts (Jun '13) Jun '13 Bill 1
AJ Allmendinger wins NASCAR Nationwide race (Jun '13) Jun '13 Jusy_Sayn 4
Favre on Allmendinger's mind in Wisconsin (Jun '13) Jun '13 Fred 3
Record-tying 4 women in the field for Indy 500 (May '13) May '13 Jorge 3
Suspended driver Jeremy Mayfield calls radio sh... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Voice of Reality 14
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••