CUP: New Crew Chief For Junior? Maybe After The Season

Nov 16, 2010 Full story: Fox News 95

Dale Earnhardt Jr. doesn't want to think about personnel issues with his No. 88 team until after the season finale this week at Homestead-Miami Speedway .

Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
barr

Temperance, MI

#1 Nov 16, 2010
Yup, I bet all Jr needs is a new crew chief. Oh wait maybe we've tried that before, a few times. I bet a new team will do it. Tried that too. I wonder how big Chadies ego is. Is it big enough to try and salvage the Earnhardt name? I'm guess Chad knows it isn't possible or he would jump at the opportunity.
MAB

Bloomingdale, IL

#2 Nov 16, 2010
As the car of tomorrow is here to stay and "cookie cutter" race tracks number many, I think only a very few have the combination figured out.Even Gordon and Stewart seem to not do very well either.I figured Gordon to win more titles and if Stewart is struggling then thre IS something wrong. Being I have quit watching NAPCAR, except to see how they finished on Mondays, they have lost me as a fan. And I live 3 miles from the Joliets "cookie cutter" and definitely will not pay 200$+++++ to see a race. And thats after watching a live NAPCAR being broadcast live at a movie theater years and years ago. And watching it religously for years. Not any more....And with this recession going on I am sure others agree the racing is boring and will spend their money and time doing something else.
Hilton Head

United States

#3 Nov 17, 2010
Junior say's Lance gave him his best effort, I have yet to hear any of Juniors multiple crew chiefs say that Junior has given them his best effort on the track.
Bill

Presque Isle, ME

#4 Nov 17, 2010
He needs Chad. If Dale Jr and Chad can't find success then and only then will I judge Dale Jr.

Since: Nov 09

United States

#5 Nov 17, 2010
Bill wrote:
He needs Chad. If Dale Jr and Chad can't find success then and only then will I judge Dale Jr.
Chad is an integral, essential part of the tremendously successful 48. He and Jimmie Johnson have a connection unrivaled in modern day motor sports. To break up a winning combination like that on the off-chance that it might improve Jr would be an act of sheer lunacy.
Chevy Man

Maysville, KY

#6 Nov 17, 2010
All Jr needs is a sponsor to pay off nascar, and a cheatin crew chief like dupont & Ray ,lowes & Chad
he'll be 4 time champ

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

#7 Nov 17, 2010
Why in the world would anyone think another crew chief is the possible answer to making Jr. competitive again. When and only when Jr. is willing (or able) to committing himself totally to driving a "race car" and preparing himself physically and mentally to drive a "race car", will he ever come close to being competitive again. Committing himself totally means fully cooperating with the crew chief and giving him the necessary information on the car that he can properly maintain the car throughout a race. Making continuous remarks like "I can't drive this car, it's a piece of junk" isn't exactly the information any crew chief needs to make decisions as to what needs to be done to the car. Frankly, as long as Jr. is making 35 or 40 million a year, I don't think he has the intestinal fortitude to commit himself to anything that hard.

“Earnhardt Fans Rule”

Since: Sep 07

Florida

#8 Nov 17, 2010
The key to making Jr run well again is to bring his father back from the grave. He had the drive to race to get the attention of his father. When he lost him he lost his drive.

Since: Nov 09

United States

#9 Nov 18, 2010
jgibbens wrote:
The key to making Jr run well again is to bring his father back from the grave. He had the drive to race to get the attention of his father. When he lost him he lost his drive.
How do you explain the fact that he got 16 of his 18 wins AFTER the old man died?
Snow

Waveland, IN

#10 Nov 18, 2010
Whoyakidding wrote:
Why in the world would anyone think another crew chief is the possible answer to making Jr. competitive again. When and only when Jr. is willing (or able) to committing himself totally to driving a "race car" and preparing himself physically and mentally to drive a "race car", will he ever come close to being competitive again. Committing himself totally means fully cooperating with the crew chief and giving him the necessary information on the car that he can properly maintain the car throughout a race. Making continuous remarks like "I can't drive this car, it's a piece of junk" isn't exactly the information any crew chief needs to make decisions as to what needs to be done to the car. Frankly, as long as Jr. is making 35 or 40 million a year, I don't think he has the intestinal fortitude to commit himself to anything that hard.
I have started to worry about Gordon also. He can't seem to win anymore.
He get's close but cannot close the deal. What do you think is going on with him????

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Raleigh

#11 Nov 18, 2010
Snow wrote:
<quoted text>I have started to worry about Gordon also. He can't seem to win anymore.
He get's close but cannot close the deal. What do you think is going on with him????
Hi Snow, hope you're doing great and getting ready for a great thanksgiving. Well, I think Jeff is suffering from the same thing they all get to suffering from when they've made a ton of money, already won a ton or races, have about everything they want in their life and start into middle age, they start hearing that little voice that cautions them when they start to go into those tight spots or high risk situations that they used to jump right into. Jeff still has all the skills, all the resources, all the desire but his sub-conscious has become too smart to let him jump into those risk situations anymore. It will let him play the game for a moment but then without him realizing it, it lifts his foot when things start getting too tight. When its just you against the world and you're twenty five and bullet proof, that one thing. But when you're forty, with the family you always wanted and everything you'll ever need, it's a whole other thing. When a driver reachs this point, he only wins when EVERYTHING lines up perfect that particular day. Welcome to middle age Mr. Johnson, it's starting to happen to you too.

“How We Roll”

Since: Nov 08

Area 51, Nevada

#12 Nov 18, 2010
Whoyakidding wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Snow, hope you're doing great and getting ready for a great thanksgiving. Well, I think Jeff is suffering from the same thing they all get to suffering from
Yeah if only it was that easy to figure out. Not saying you're wrong, because I noticed it in football... that new recruit who's totally fearless at first, stops taking risks, right?

But we're seeing a ton of changes, the dble file restart alone costs Gordon 2 or 3 wins. Mastering that restart is a bitch, no doubt. Crew chiefs also learning as they go. So with that, car changes, wave arounds, 3 Green White Checker attempts, it'll take time to see if they can figure it all out.

Driver ability hasn't changed much, you either got it or you dont, except we see Dale struggle now more than anyone else has ever slumped, aside from those close to retirement.

Want to find out what caused it, look for the BIGGEST significant change (hat still exists, and took place at the moment he started falling. I mean, you'd have to care enough to research the stats and the trends, but I assure you it's there. If its not, its something within himself that he's not mentioning.
Snow

Waveland, IN

#13 Nov 18, 2010
Whoyakidding It sure was nice to hear from you. I am doing fine and getting ready for the holidays.
I think your 100% correct on what you had to say.
You know when we have small children we put them
first in our life. I can't Jeff for not taking any wild changes but he has been oh so close. This chase is pretty exciting and anything
can happen.Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving
with your family. We all have a lot to be thankful
for..
Snow

Waveland, IN

#14 Nov 18, 2010
Opp's I left out the word blame.
You get over it

Katy, TX

#15 Nov 18, 2010
Bill wrote:
Chad is not a magical crew chief. The secret to Chad and Jimmie's success is the connection (communication) they have, the commitment they have, the skill they have and the talent they have.

Jr is lacking in his ability to communicate with his crew in a way that helps the team make necessary improvements to the car during the race. Jr is lacking in commitment to do what it takes on and off the track to get the job done. Jr is lacking in driving skills compared to the competition. And Jr doesn't have the talent to be competitive over the course of the whole season.

Making Chad Jr's crew chief would not work magic on Jr's career, but it would destroy Chad's career. The ONLY one that can save Jr is Jr himself. He needs to want it and he needs to be willing to make it happen and he needs to work at it.
You get over it

Katy, TX

#16 Nov 18, 2010
jgibbens wrote:
So, what you're saying is Jr needs to grow up, without his Daddy there to hold his hand, he's just a cry-baby.

Good point.
WWE CRASHCAR 2010

Florham Park, NJ

#17 Nov 18, 2010
JrNationMakesMeLaugh wrote:
<quoted text>How do you explain the fact that he got 16 of his 18 wins AFTER the old man died?
Jr inherited NASCAR's special rules when the old man died.

“How We Roll”

Since: Nov 08

Area 51, Nevada

#18 Nov 18, 2010
You get over it wrote:
<quoted text>
Making Chad Jr's crew chief would not work magic on Jr's career, but it would destroy Chad's career. The ONLY one that can save Jr is Jr himself. He needs to want it and he needs to be willing to make it happen and he needs to work at it.
All Jr needs is willingness to be flexible. Then Chad could start reprogramming him. lol Start with shock treatment and a collar that zaps him whenever he uses 'junk' to describe his car. LMAO
You get over it

Katy, TX

#19 Nov 18, 2010
alpinedigital wrote:
<quoted text>
All Jr needs is willingness to be flexible. Then Chad could start reprogramming him. lol Start with shock treatment and a collar that zaps him whenever he uses 'junk' to describe his car. LMAO
By flexible, do you mean being willing to drink his whiskey from a shot glass or the bottle?

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Raleigh

#20 Nov 19, 2010
alpinedigital wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah if only it was that easy to figure out. Not saying you're wrong, because I noticed it in football... that new recruit who's totally fearless at first, stops taking risks, right?
But we're seeing a ton of changes, the dble file restart alone costs Gordon 2 or 3 wins. Mastering that restart is a bitch, no doubt. Crew chiefs also learning as they go. So with that, car changes, wave arounds, 3 Green White Checker attempts, it'll take time to see if they can figure it all out.
Driver ability hasn't changed much, you either got it or you dont, except we see Dale struggle now more than anyone else has ever slumped, aside from those close to retirement.
Want to find out what caused it, look for the BIGGEST significant change (hat still exists, and took place at the moment he started falling. I mean, you'd have to care enough to research the stats and the trends, but I assure you it's there. If its not, its something within himself that he's not mentioning.
Really, I think it is about that simple. I remember how I was at 25 versus 40. At 25 there wasn't much that I wouldn't try. By the time I got to 40, there was a lot that I knew better than to try again. At 60, there's a hell of a lot more that I won't try. It happens to everyone. Our whole life is just a big learning experience. As soon as we learn the true risk in doing something, we're much more cautious the next time we do that thing or don't do it at all. I have a knee that is pretty much non-functional as proof of this learning experience.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amy R / Adultress (Jan '09) Dec 29 justleaveitalone 2,920
nascar is fixed...here's the prooof!!!! (Feb '11) Sep '14 JrNationMakesMeLaugh 32
Dale Jr Fans Only (Aug '07) Sep '14 hatchet 10,740
Will Dale Earnhardt Jr. Finally Contend for a N... (Jan '14) Aug '14 Jr IQ 88 232
Why did Dale Earnhardt, Jr. switch to Hendrick ... (Mar '10) Aug '14 Uncle John Duckett 83
Does Dale Jr smoke? (Nov '07) Aug '14 Yes 198
dale jr comes out of the closet and admits love... (Oct '06) Jul '14 ug2bn2win 84
More from around the web