Indy victory propels Johnson, No. 48 ...

Indy victory propels Johnson, No. 48 team back into Chase spotlight

There are 23 comments on the Scene Daily story from Jul 30, 2008, titled Indy victory propels Johnson, No. 48 team back into Chase spotlight. In it, Scene Daily reports that:

When Jimmie Johnson looks at his race team, he sees a group that has worked hard to improve and gain ground over the course of the season.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Scene Daily.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“New Season,,New champ????”

Since: Apr 08

Seattle, WA

#1 Jul 31, 2008
HMS has stepped their game up they're regaining their fire half season as predicted.
Jim

Berlin, NH

#2 Jul 31, 2008
Winning ONE race constitues "regaining their fire"?

Who exactly predidted it?

18chick

“Sit on it! ”

Since: Jun 08

Kyle Universe

#3 Jul 31, 2008
Jim wrote:
Winning ONE race constitues "regaining their fire"?
Who exactly predidted it?
Predicted*. They are regaining their fire.
Scott

Clarion, PA

#4 Jul 31, 2008
LOL It's a wonderful that NASCAR helped him out with all of those short runs and then taking all strategy out of it by closing the pits two laps before all the the "cautions" LOL

18chick

“Sit on it! ”

Kyle Universe

#5 Jul 31, 2008
Scott wrote:
LOL It's a wonderful that NASCAR helped him out with all of those short runs and then taking all strategy out of it by closing the pits two laps before all the the "cautions" LOL
They had no choice. The tires were wearing out very quickly.
Scott

Clarion, PA

#6 Jul 31, 2008
I understand the tire debacle......... the taking away the strategy for short pitting was well, a slap in the face to anyone not in the top 5.

18chick

“Sit on it! ”

Kyle Universe

#7 Jul 31, 2008
Scott wrote:
I understand the tire debacle......... the taking away the strategy for short pitting was well, a slap in the face to anyone not in the top 5.
I admit it was not in the category of exciting race, but the tires were wearing so quickly, that cautions were required. MM and Jr quickly got back inside the top ten.
Jim

Berlin, NH

#8 Jul 31, 2008
Did I ever tell you how happy I am that you're here to correct my spelling?

I don't know what I would do if I went on not knowing I had spelled something incorrectly on a internet chat site.

Thank you.

"Regaining fire", let's see.

The first four numbers represent the finishes and the second set of four numbers is the driver who finished in that spot for the last five races.

1-5-12-26 (48-24-88-5)

2-11-16-33 (48-24-88-5)

8-23-30-34 (88-48-24-5)

7-9-11-24 (5-48-24-88)

3-5-12-15 (24-5-88-48)

The only thing I see is that JJ and JG are consitantly finishing ahead of Jr. and CM.

Average finish for each driver over the last five races; JJ-10, JG-12, Jr.-14.4, CM-21

Now granted the first three averages aren't bad, but I would hardly call it "regaining fire".

18chick

“Sit on it! ”

Kyle Universe

#9 Jul 31, 2008
Jim wrote:
I don't know what I would do if I went on not knowing I had spelled something incorrectly on a internet chat site.
Thank you.
The first four numbers represent the finishes and the second set of four numbers is the driver who finished in that spot for the last five races.
1-5-12-26 (48-24-88-5)
2-11-16-33 (48-24-88-5)
8-23-30-34 (88-48-24-5)
7-9-11-24 (5-48-24-88)
3-5-12-15 (24-5-88-48)
The only thing I see is that JJ and JG are consitantly finishing ahead of Jr. and CM.
Average finish for each driver over the last five races; JJ-10, JG-12, Jr.-14.4, CM-21
Now granted the first three averages aren't bad, but I would hardly call it "regaining fire".
Well, In the first half of the season, Jr was finishing ahead of the others. Now those races had circumstances that were beyond Jr's control.
Jim

Berlin, NH

#10 Jul 31, 2008
Who's control were they under?

Sounds like an excuse to me.

You just said that HMS is "regaining fire", how can that be if Jr. is doing worse than at the beginning of the year?

18chick

“Sit on it! ”

Kyle Universe

#11 Jul 31, 2008
Jim wrote:
You just said that HMS is "regaining fire", how can that be if Jr. is doing worse than at the beginning of the year?
It's not an excuse. There you go twisting my words. All I'm saying is Jr's had a little bad luck due to circumstances beyond his control. He's not doing that bad btw. He's still second in points.

Since: Jul 08

United States

#12 Jul 31, 2008
Jim wrote:
Junior always hits a slump about summer. He will snap out of it come Richmond and be fine for the chase. In case you failed to notice, he did have a top five car at Indy. If he had taken two tires instead of four on the last stop, he would have been in the top five or top ten.

Junior may be doing worse, but Jimmie is getting better and Jeff may be as well. If the final caution hadn't come out at Chicago, Jimmie would be sitting on two straight wins in a row. So, I would say that Hendrick is going to be just fine.
kiltie19

Baie-comeau, Canada

#13 Jul 31, 2008
Dew Addict wrote:
<quoted text>
Junior always hits a slump about summer. He will snap out of it come Richmond and be fine for the chase. In case you failed to notice, he did have a top five car at Indy. If he had taken two tires instead of four on the last stop, he would have been in the top five or top ten.
Junior may be doing worse, but Jimmie is getting better and Jeff may be as well. If the final caution hadn't come out at Chicago, Jimmie would be sitting on two straight wins in a row. So, I would say that Hendrick is going to be just fine.
I agree! Good Point . Hope HMS wins next race too.

“BOO!!! Ya'll!”

Since: Apr 07

Las Cruces, NM

#14 Jul 31, 2008
Jim wrote:
Thank you.
1-5-12-26 (48-24-88-5)
2-11-16-33 (48-24-88-5)
8-23-30-34 (88-48-24-5)
7-9-11-24 (5-48-24-88)
3-5-12-15 (24-5-88-48)
"consistantly", lol!

Since: Jul 08

United States

#15 Jul 31, 2008
kiltie19 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree! Good Point . Hope HMS wins next race too.
You and me both.
Avenger

Ashburn, VA

#16 Jul 31, 2008
Sorry, but NASCAR should have quit calleing those competition yellows after the first few. Once everyone knew what they were in for, they should have just let 'em race. Jimmie Johnson was good on short runs. Had they gone for longer runs, Carl would've eaten him alive. Intentionally or not, NASCAR manufactured that win.

“BOO!!! Ya'll!”

Since: Apr 07

Las Cruces, NM

#17 Jul 31, 2008
Avenger wrote:
Sorry, but NASCAR should have quit calleing those competition yellows after the first few. Once everyone knew what they were in for, they should have just let 'em race. Jimmie Johnson was good on short runs. Had they gone for longer runs, Carl would've eaten him alive. Intentionally or not, NASCAR manufactured that win.
They couldn't go on longer runs, the tires were worn out after ten laps for everyone!!! Where does horseface edwards get tires for a long run???
kiltie19

Baie-comeau, Canada

#18 Jul 31, 2008
Avenger wrote:
Another 48 hater. Maaan You guy's never quit. Jimmie had the best car all weekend !! He had to race back to the front after almost every caution. Carl even said he could not keep up with Jimmie. So where do you get your idea from?

Go Jimmie! "get another win just for these types of sore losers to gripe some more"
Jim

Berlin, NH

#19 Aug 1, 2008
mrbreeze wrote:
<quoted text>"consistantly ", lol!
So the only thing you took from my post was a minor spelling error?

I guess if you can't dispute the what I say, say something stupid.

Good job.
Junior Nation

United States

#20 Aug 1, 2008
Avenger wrote:
I agree, they should have finally let the teams decide when to pit but unfortunately they didn't. Oh well, live and learn and hopefully they won't have to worry about using what they learned down the road.

As far as JJ not being good on long runs.. I don't know how you could make that statement since they never had a long run. Even if NASCAR had let the team decide when to pit none of the teams would have gone more that 10-12 laps without pitting especially after seeing what happened to JPM & MK so no long runs would have ever happened. JJ had the best car from the time they took it off the truck. I'm not a JJ fan and especially not a Chad fan but they had the car and they took it to the checkered 1st. I say kudos to them for a great win to a miserable day for all drivers and teams (oh and the fans too).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Casey Mears Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NASCAR drivers most likely to throw a punch (May '14) May '14 WWE CRASHCAR 2014 3
News Richard Petty Upset Over Ambrose' $25,000 Fine (May '14) May '14 doug 5
News Jamie McMurray gets back into win column at Tal... (Oct '13) Nov '13 snow 5
News Is Dale Earnhardt Jr. an Underachiever or a Vic... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Aquarius-WY 12
News Harvick wins first Daytona 500 qualifier, Patri... (Feb '13) Feb '13 manic 2 4
News Devin Jones Starting To Shine In Late Models (Jul '09) Jan '12 Rick 2
News Mears unsure of future at Richard Childress Racing (Sep '09) Sep '10 camshaft man 4
More from around the web