Back-of-garage battle for Daytona slots

Back-of-garage battle for Daytona slots

There are 1 comment on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jan 17, 2008, titled Back-of-garage battle for Daytona slots. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Crew uniforms, when there are any, are usually generic. Sponsors, when there are any, are not Fortune 500 enterprises, such as the No.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Myrtle Beach, SC

#1 Jan 18, 2008
Mr. Smith, good comments. I have seen somewhere that some arrogant motorsports writer thinks that believing in the notion that the fastest cars race is "absurd." That the top 35 rule was created to make sure "da big guys" race. Bunk. If da big guys with all their money can't find the speed at any particular track on any particular weekend then so be it, they don't race. It's pure and simple. Won't hurt the sponsors a bit. If it happens too often they will leave the sport (not recommended) or leave the team and go to another one. I just don't think the top 35 thing works, and not because it hurts small teams -- and it does -- but because it promotes mediocrity to get in the race but more importantly is flies in the face of the foundation of racing: go fast and get in the show and go fast to win the show. Pretty simple to me, but some want us to believe that it is much more complicated than that, and it's an intellectual thing as how to arrive at this top 35 rule and it is 'absurd' to think otherwise. What I have noticed in the past 10 years with NASCAR is that the more complicated they make this thing the duller it gets: "the act of passing", can't do anything to shocks or car bodies, freezing fields and loop data, green white checker, when the caution flag is flow, commitment line/cone, top 35 rule, and on and on. And the most of those rules were said to keep competition close or keep the lid on costs. Bull! it is about control. Anyone out there think that 2006 was close just ask Hendrick's teams at 18 or 36 point events? Or how about costs? Any owner out there think cost is "under control?" Of course one might say that cost would be out of sight if not for the things NASCAR has done...I would say--to borrow a word from a legend in his own mind, ABSURD! Owners and teams know one thing better than they do even the race thing, and that's how to spend someone else's money in droves.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carl Long Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Friends roast absent Darrell Waltrip for charity (Oct '11) Oct '11 acrim 3
News Carl Long's hard road back to NASCAR (Jan '10) Jan '10 Jon 1
News Carl Long to appeal NASCAR's 12-race suspension (May '09) Oct '09 Carl continued 3
News NASCAR driver still parked by large fine (Jun '09) Jun '09 massasauga rattler 1
NASCAR news site (Jan '08) Jan '08 Webmaster 1
News Pocono 500 qualifying: Cope fuels McGlynn's belief (Jul '06) Dec '06 nevada 14