Not a very sunny day for Fox and NASCAR

Not a very sunny day for Fox and NASCAR

There are 27 comments on the The Morning Call story from Feb 17, 2009, titled Not a very sunny day for Fox and NASCAR. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Television's obsession with trying to get virtually every major sporting event spread into prime time proved costly on Sunday when NASCAR's showcase event, the Daytona 500 , had to be cut short because of rain.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mike Lange

United States

#1 Feb 17, 2009
That Panther's guy stole my schtick!
Tony the Tiger

Toronto, Canada

#2 Feb 17, 2009
NASCAR is absolutely unwatchable any more. Downright boring compared to football or even Indy Car. It is more wrestling than it is racing. It is more about the drivers who sell the products than the actual racing itself. Don't believe me? Think about the last time you watched a NASCAR race and how much they focused on Dale, Jr. when he was in 24th place. Now realize he made $35 million in ad deals last year. Now realize this: he won one race last year. That is not in balance with reward for talent, especially in a form of entertainment (it is not a sport) that has 38 to 40 events in a year.

Since: Dec 08

AOL

#3 Feb 17, 2009
Tony the Tiger wrote:
NASCAR is absolutely unwatchable any more. Downright boring compared to football or even Indy Car. It is more wrestling than it is racing. It is more about the drivers who sell the products than the actual racing itself. Don't believe me? Think about the last time you watched a NASCAR race and how much they focused on Dale, Jr. when he was in 24th place. Now realize he made $35 million in ad deals last year. Now realize this: he won one race last year. That is not in balance with reward for talent, especially in a form of entertainment (it is not a sport) that has 38 to 40 events in a year.
OK - you don't like NASCAR - we GET it

Move on
Pens

Indian Trail, NC

#4 Feb 20, 2009
It is strange in that Mike Lange's top 10 calls were mentioned on SI.com this week. For anyone who ever lived around Pittsburgh, you will know that the guy from the Panther's must have gotten some sort of idea from Mr. Lange.

Since: Jan 09

Fleetwood, PA

#5 Feb 20, 2009
NASCAR...currently defined as a marketing organization that happens to use "racecars" as their advertising medium. They should rename the series "IROC NASCAR". They all run the same bodies with different paint schemes and virtually the same engine. To top it all off, NASCAR is always spouting off about safety but yet it's always the "big one" that you hear them promote. F1, Indycar, etc all still offer some decent racing but turn on FOX and what do you get...WWE/IROC/NASCAR.
NASCAR may be a lot of good, fun things but racing isn't one of them.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#6 Feb 20, 2009
Tony the Tiger wrote:
Flip your remote and watch something you enjoy, Don't sweat what Jr made last year. He no doubt is costing you your
paycheck.Indy cars will be racing soon so you can stay tuned to them.

Location hidden

#7 Feb 20, 2009
Tony the Tiger wrote:
How much is the NFL paying for "armchair" quarterbacks now?

Race

“Save the drama fer yer mama!!!”

Since: Mar 07

North Cackalacky

#8 Feb 20, 2009
I don't know what race you were watching but Junior was barely even mentioned during the Daytona 500 pre race coverage and only mentioned during the race when he goofed up in the pits.
Like others have said, we get it you don't like Nascar. The great thing is you live in a free country and you can change the channel anytime you like, so why dontcha?
Tony the Tiger wrote:
Green With Envy

Greenwood, CA

#9 Feb 20, 2009
McLarenM8b wrote:
NASCAR...currently defined as a marketing organization that happens to use "racecars" as their advertising medium. They should rename the series "IROC NASCAR". They all run the same bodies with different paint schemes and virtually the same engine. To top it all off, NASCAR is always spouting off about safety but yet it's always the "big one" that you hear them promote. F1, Indycar, etc all still offer some decent racing but turn on FOX and what do you get...WWE/IROC/NASCAR.
NASCAR may be a lot of good, fun things but racing isn't one of them.
Are you jealous often? It really is pathetic!
Green With Envy

Greenwood, CA

#10 Feb 20, 2009
Tony the Tiger wrote:
The NFL only has 18 to 19 "events" (including playoffs) in a season! What's your point?
Maxfield

Clearwater, FL

#11 Feb 20, 2009
Nascar is so boring. The cars literally go around and around with no excitement and finish under caution. Cars are all the same, drivers are all the same - bland. I would rather watch Talledaga Nights - Ricky Bobby is much more exciting.
Schuey

United States

#12 Feb 20, 2009
Tony the Tiger wrote:
Find something else to do then.

“Jr. Fan For Life”

Since: Feb 09

D-burg

#13 Feb 20, 2009
Maxfield wrote:
Nascar is so boring. The cars literally go around and around with no excitement and finish under caution. Cars are all the same, drivers are all the same - bland. I would rather watch Talledaga Nights - Ricky Bobby is much more exciting.
Try going around and around at speeds up to 190mph,in a traffic jam of 43 cars. The drivers are not all the same. They all have different personalities. If you are bored with it then turn the freakin' channel. Nascar didn't ask you to watch and they most definately aren't holding a gun to your head forcing you to watch. Get over yourself and enjoy your very lonely Sunday watching Talledega Nights.
the one

United States

#14 Feb 20, 2009
The so called race this weekend in California will show where NASCAR's roots are. Back in the south not that high falootin BS out west.

Philadelphia, PA

#15 Feb 20, 2009
Green With Envy wrote:
<quoted text>Are you jealous often? It really is pathetic!
What's the matter Green, no discussion skills? Another poster who has to go personal right away instead of adding to the discussion.
Kornback Rattler

“NEXT!!”

Since: Jun 08

Land of Enchantment

#16 Feb 20, 2009
McLarenM8b wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the matter Green, no discussion skills? Another poster who has to go personal right away instead of adding to the discussion.
You're not seriously saying that f1 is more exciting than NASCAR are you?

You know who wins in f1 by watching qualifying on Saturday.

Riegelsville, PA

#17 Feb 21, 2009
Kornback Rattler wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not seriously saying that f1 is more exciting than NASCAR are you?
You know who wins in f1 by watching qualifying on Saturday.
What I'm saying is the driver talent and individual car performance keeps F1 a lot more interesting to watch than NASCAR. As of yet, F1 has not gone the way of equal cars, engines, etc. but it is probably only a matter of time.
Motorsports is doomed.

Since: Jul 08

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#18 Feb 21, 2009
I had a big problem with the prerace crap starting at two and the freaking race never starting until twenty minutes of four!!!!! Come on!!! They knew rain was coming and they still put it off. Did we really need to see Keith Urban or the millions of other crappy prerace junk they featured? NO WE DIDN'T!!!!! Just get through the anthem and let's go racing.

99 Lisa 18

“Kyle get it together! ”

Since: Oct 08

Carlsville

#19 Feb 21, 2009
Dew Addict wrote:
I had a big problem with the prerace crap starting at two and the freaking race never starting until twenty minutes of four!!!!! Come on!!! They knew rain was coming and they still put it off. Did we really need to see Keith Urban or the millions of other crappy prerace junk they featured? NO WE DIDN'T!!!!! Just get through the anthem and let's go racing.
Watch it, don't you call Keith crappy! lol

Since: Jul 08

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#20 Feb 21, 2009
99 Lisa 18 wrote:
<quoted text>
Watch it, don't you call Keith crappy! lol
He's not crappy. I like some of his songs. They just play them too much on the radio.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brian Vickers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NASCAR's Kasey Kahne says he wasn't hurt during... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Jusy_Sayn 2
News Bowyer denies intentional spinout at Richmond race (Sep '13) Sep '13 Kelly 2
News Kenseth wins duel with Kahne at Bristol (Aug '13) Aug '13 flatt 2
News Michael Waltrip, sponsors considering whether M... (Aug '13) Aug '13 wallbanger 11
News Vickers notches win as Stewart runs out of gas (Jul '13) Jul '13 Ogre 6
News Elliott Sadler not happy after Regan Smith spin... (Jul '13) Jul '13 RaceAmerica 1
News Brian Vickers a surprise winner at New Hampshire (Jul '13) Jul '13 The Truth 7
More from around the web