Could Junior win the Cup without win...

Could Junior win the Cup without winning a race?

There are 412 comments on the sportsillustrated.cnn.com story from Jun 9, 2008, titled Could Junior win the Cup without winning a race?. In it, sportsillustrated.cnn.com reports that:

Kahne, Junior taking different routes to same Chase destination Kasey Lahne has won two of the last three Cup races Kyle Busch failed to win three NASCAR races in one weekend Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at sportsillustrated.cnn.com.

First Prev
of 21
Next Last
Junior Nation

United States

#1 Jun 10, 2008
5. Dale Earnhardt Jr. is quietly having a stellar season.

Though Little E still hasn't won a race in over two years, he's authoring a season to remember. Currently third in the standings, Junior finished fourth on Sunday, which was his third top-five run in the last month. Earnhardt's season resembles what Matt Kenseth did back in '03, when Kenseth won the championship by wracking up one top-five run after another. Junior is going to be a serious player in the Chase, no question. Who knows? He may well win the championship without ever taking a single checkered flag.

Could he? yes
Chances? slim to very slim (didn't want to say none)
Lily

Shasta Lake, CA

#2 Jun 10, 2008
Junior Nation wrote:
5. Dale Earnhardt Jr. is quietly having a stellar season.
Though Little E still hasn't won a race in over two years, he's authoring a season to remember. Currently third in the standings, Junior finished fourth on Sunday, which was his third top-five run in the last month. Earnhardt's season resembles what Matt Kenseth did back in '03, when Kenseth won the championship by wracking up one top-five run after another. Junior is going to be a serious player in the Chase, no question. Who knows? He may well win the championship without ever taking a single checkered flag.
Could he? yes
Chances? slim to very slim (didn't want to say none)
I am not believing this.
DaleJrsQueen

Pensacola, FL

#3 Jun 10, 2008
Lily wrote:
<quoted text>I am not believing this.
Why don't you believe it? I guess you don't want to admit Jr proved you wrong. Jr is having an awesome season, wins or no wins.
Junior Nation

United States

#4 Jun 10, 2008
Lily wrote:
<quoted text>I am not believing this.
MK only won 1 race in '03 and took the championship. I guess any thing is possible. Probable no, possible yes.
The Great KJ

Wellington, CO

#5 Jun 10, 2008
I think he will have to not only be in the top 5 in the Chase but win races too. Take for example Jeff Gordon who performed brilliantly in the Chase only to lose because JJ won races and that was the difference last year.
DaleJrsQueen

Pensacola, FL

#6 Jun 10, 2008
The Great KJ wrote:
I think he will have to not only be in the top 5 in the Chase but win races too. Take for example Jeff Gordon who performed brilliantly in the Chase only to lose because JJ won races and that was the difference last year.
True. He will win soon.
Junior Nation

United States

#7 Jun 10, 2008
The Great KJ wrote:
Kind of hard to win a chase when another driver in the chase wins 4 out of 10 races. The only way to win a chase without winning races would be for drivers outside of the chase to dominate the races like Smoke did in 2006 when he won 3 of 10. Jr would need to finish ahead of them all each race. It's possible to be done but a very slim chance of it happening. Personally I think it would be great!!
Jim

Berlin, NH

#8 Jun 10, 2008
I think you some of you are underestimating the importance of a win or winning a race.

KB - 2004 - 3 wins

TS - 2005 - 5 wins

JJ - 2006 - 5 wins

JJ - 2007 - 10 wins

See a pattern here?

Consitance does matter (a lot) but I think wins are necessary.
DaleJrsQueen

Pensacola, FL

#9 Jun 10, 2008
Jim wrote:
I think you some of you are underestimating the importance of a win or winning a race.
KB - 2004 - 3 wins
TS - 2005 - 5 wins
JJ - 2006 - 5 wins
JJ - 2007 - 10 wins
See a pattern here?
Consitance does matter (a lot) but I think wins are necessary.
I do too. I do think Jr will win some races, He's been good all year, but going into the chase, KB, CE, KK, JJ will have more wins than he does. I hope he can get a win before the chase starts.
NOT

Vienna, VA

#10 Jun 10, 2008
I think the chances are probably slim. Doesn't he need the points from wins when they start the chase and reset the points?

“You'll never walk alone”

Since: Apr 08

It's baack!!

#11 Jun 10, 2008
Unfortunately the way the chase is set up, he has to win at least a few races before the chase starts to have a realistic chance of winning a championship. Especially the way Busch is driving at the moment.
Junior Nation

United States

#12 Jun 10, 2008
NOT wrote:
I think the chances are probably slim. Doesn't he need the points from wins when they start the chase and reset the points?
10 points per win so say the chase starts this week. KB would have 40 points over Jr with CE & KK have 20. We all saw what happened this week with just 1 race. KB lost a ton of points by finished 43 and JB finishing 5th and now is only 21 points behind KB.

Yes, it will be nearly impossible to win the championship without a win but not completely impossible.

“I know where you are,”

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#13 Jun 10, 2008
Winning a championship without winning a race has never been done before - highly unlikely a winless season will spawn a championship, IMHO

“"winning isn't everything"”

Since: Apr 08

Williamsburg, MA

#14 Jun 10, 2008
i don't think he'll pull it off, but it definetly is possible.
DaleJrsQueen

Pensacola, FL

#15 Jun 10, 2008
milwaukee69 wrote:
Winning a championship without winning a race has never been done before - highly unlikely a winless season will spawn a championship, IMHO
He is winless thus far. There are still plenty of races left for him to win.

Since: Mar 08

Topix Bar & Grill

#16 Jun 10, 2008
If he does not have a win before the chase, he will have to run consistent in the chase, win and the drivers above him will have to royally screw up.
Junior Nation

United States

#17 Jun 10, 2008
ABfan wrote:
If he does not have a win before the chase, he will have to run consistent in the chase, win and the drivers above him will have to royally screw up.
You mean like KB did this past week? Loosing 121 points in 1 race. Don't forget he broke a mirror which is 7 years of bad luck.

anderson 24

“Obama Express”

Since: Dec 06

yes we can*health reform**

#18 Jun 10, 2008
milwaukee69 wrote:
only jr. could be the man to get the job done .
an yes' its very possible.
Big City Bob

United States

#19 Jun 10, 2008
JR. wining a race,HA, HA, that's like saying Robby Gor don will win.

anderson 24

“Obama Express”

Since: Dec 06

yes we can*health reform**

#20 Jun 10, 2008
Junior Nation wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean like KB did this past week? Loosing 121 points in 1 race. Don't forget he broke a mirror which is 7 years of bad luck.
lol'''''

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 21
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brian Vickers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NASCAR's Kasey Kahne says he wasn't hurt during... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Jusy_Sayn 2
News Bowyer denies intentional spinout at Richmond race (Sep '13) Sep '13 Kelly 2
News Kenseth wins duel with Kahne at Bristol (Aug '13) Aug '13 flatt 2
News Michael Waltrip, sponsors considering whether M... (Aug '13) Aug '13 wallbanger 11
News Vickers notches win as Stewart runs out of gas (Jul '13) Jul '13 Ogre 6
News Elliott Sadler not happy after Regan Smith spin... (Jul '13) Jul '13 RaceAmerica 1
News Brian Vickers a surprise winner at New Hampshire (Jul '13) Jul '13 The Truth 7
More from around the web