Next step: Avoid another Indy embarrassment

Jul 29, 2008 | Posted by: lilbit88 | Full story: www.ohio.com

INDIANAPOLIS: Yes, the race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway was a debacle. No point in denying it.

Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated Jul 30, 2008

“I am who I am”

Since: Nov 07

I don't need your permission!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2008

One of the commentators stated that JR had tested at Indy. He also stated that the tires were a problem then. Why didn't NASCAR veto this tire at that point? Why ok a tire that shreds in such manner?
Another reporter said it should be renamed " The tire shredder 400". Sad that this happens with all the technology and money in place.
Megan

Sterling, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2008

Judged:

I remember Jr had tested a month or so ago, I wanted to go it was free but early in the a.m. He did say the tires wouldn't work no one listened at the time!
Goodyear needs to get it together before next year and I'm sure they will.

“I am who I am”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2008

I certainly hope they do. That was a bad race to watch.
Hoosier Gal

Zionsville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2008

I was at the race.....sat for 4 and half hours to watch chunking tires in peoples' laps and they were lucky no one was hurt or killed. Goodyear knew about it when Junior tested, they knew about it Friday during practice, they knew it during quads and the practices after....and Nascar just sat there and drank Goodyear's koolaid....and nascar came down on Smoke because he voiced his opinion earlier in the year about the tires then. If dale Sr. was still alive and this happened, I could see him pulling into his pit, climbing out of his car. The other drivers would too....but then half of this shit wouldnt be happening now if one of the drivers would take a stand and tell nascar just what he thinks. The other drivers would join him, it only takes one person to speak up,,,Nascar cant survive if they suspended 43 of their TOP stars from a race now can they?

“New Season,,New champ????”

Since: Apr 08

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2008

Nascar knew what the problem was an threw those yellows so no one would get hurt. That didn't make it any better at all.

“I am who I am”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2008

The actual race wasn't better no. It was better though for no one was injured or killed.
I didn't enjoy the racing this past weekend either, that's due to the measures NASCAR invoked to insure the drivers safety.

I would rather watch a boring race knowing the measures are being taken than to watch a driver or multiple drivers pass.

Yes NASCAR knew and yes they did nothing as far as the tires went. They should have been on this situation from the beginning. With all the money the fans spend there is no excuse for shoddy equipment.
Hoosier Gal

Zionsville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2008

Interesting Indystar paper front page here in Indianapolis...'Nascar's mea culpa...The Speedway track is fine".....They are blaming themselves and Goodyear....about time Nascar takes the blame for something...Go to Indystar.com and you can read the story

Since: Apr 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2008

Some stuff that I find very interesting...

1. Firestone's IRL tire does not degrade nearly as much. Granted, the IRL chassis is lighter than the NASCAR COT, but keep in mind that an IndyCar makes a ton of downforce, compared to the fact that the COT is a rolling brick.

2. NASCAR not having a manditory test for all teams before the Brickyard was extremely short-sided, given the variables that changed over the last year.

3. There must be some relationship between what hapened two years ago with regard to Michellin's F1 tire and what Goodyear went thru this year. The F1 Bridgestone tire was a harder compound that showed no problem handing the diamond-cut surface. BTW... Please note that Bridgestone is Firestone's parent company. Wanna bet that the IRL compound and the Bridgestone F1 compound for Indy is almost the same?

4. Ultimately NASCAR must take the blame. Reason?
Sanctions are responsible for three major things:
a. The rules that govern the sport.
b. The level of competition.
c. The level of safety instituted.

Yes, there were variables that the new car, the surface and the heat produced for this particular race, but that is what testing is supposed to clear up. In the long run, the only thing Goodyear can do is say "This is what was found." NASCAR then has to make a decision on what Goodyear brings them.

I am of the impression that the few teams that did test the tire were not satisfied with the results of the test. I am also convienced that NASCAR believed that the surface would be fine as long at enough rubber was layed down.

The problem is that EXPERIENCE did not account for what this new car and this tire compound produced. The result is what you got. And all-out test of all teams would have given NASCAR the proper info.

In the long run, the officials of NASCAR brought a "know it all" attitude that did not take into account the circumstances that ruined the second biggest race on the NASCAR schedule.

Since: Apr 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2008

Hoosier Gal wrote:
Interesting Indystar paper front page here in Indianapolis...'Nascar's mea culpa...The Speedway track is fine".....They are blaming themselves and Goodyear....about time Nascar takes the blame for something...Go to Indystar.com and you can read the story
They had no choice. Tony George is not going to change the track! To attack Goodyear is wrong - totally wrong! That tire did things that no tire has ever done at Indy, or anyother track I have ever seen. Those tires ground down to dust! There was no way that rubber could have deposited itself into the gooves of that track.

NASCAR should not be looking for any scapegoats here. Ever since this car came on line, Goodyear has been opperating from a deficit position, and playing catchup with the new chassis, and suspension settups that NASCAR mandated, such as Bump Stops and the problem they caused at Atlanta.

There is much work to do, but the work should not be REACTIONARY. NASCAR should be testing the heck out every track with this car until they get it right. Going to a track not knowing what kind of product you are providing is not good for business.
Hoosier Gal

Whitestown, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2008

Here is an idea..........GO BACK TO THE MONTE CARLO to race and it will competitive then

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Brian Vickers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NASCAR's Kasey Kahne says he wasn't hurt during... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Jusy_Sayn 2
Bowyer denies intentional spinout at Richmond race (Sep '13) Sep '13 Kelly 2
Kenseth wins duel with Kahne at Bristol (Aug '13) Aug '13 flatt 2
Michael Waltrip, sponsors considering whether M... (Aug '13) Aug '13 wallbanger 11
Vickers notches win as Stewart runs out of gas (Jul '13) Jul '13 Ogre 6
Elliott Sadler not happy after Regan Smith spin... (Jul '13) Jul '13 RaceAmerica 1
Brian Vickers a surprise winner at New Hampshire (Jul '13) Jul '13 The Truth 7

Search the Brian Vickers Forum:
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••