Losing NASCAR race would cost region millions

There are 20 comments on the Messenger story from Apr 25, 2011, titled Losing NASCAR race would cost region millions. In it, Messenger reports that:

After two major cities lost NASCAR races last year, and as attendance has dropped off in recent years at Richmond International Raceway's two annual race weekends, local officials say they're dealing with the nagging fear that Richmond could be next.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Messenger.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
barr

Temperance, MI

#1 Apr 25, 2011
One reason could be that racing at Richmond is boring.
A Real Fan

Grand Rapids, MI

#2 Apr 25, 2011
If they want to dump some tracks, they should dump the plate tracks
Mary

Fredericksburg, VA

#3 Apr 25, 2011
Here's a idea, dump the most boring race track on the circuit: POCONO!!!!!

Also agree with "A Real Fan"! I say dump all plate races, except maybe the Spring Daytona races.

“RaiderNation of Domination”

Since: May 07

Some West Texas County

#4 Apr 25, 2011
Every track is unique in its own way. Some fans tend to favor other tracks more than others.
Barr

Temperance, MI

#5 Apr 25, 2011
You are right Raider...In the end the fans will determine which tracks keep races and which don't unless track owners don't mind losing money.
WWE CRASHCAR 2011

Florham Park, NJ

#6 Apr 26, 2011
A Real Fan wrote:
Excellent idea! Dump the plates or dump the race.
A Real Fan

Grand Rapids, MI

#8 Apr 26, 2011
Bobby Lee wrote:
Racing has always made money off of the poor and uneducated people! The same people that go to the fair grounds and blow their pay check! I say ban the redneck sport!!!
Sounds like Bobby Lee is the most UNeducated of all
bender 2112

Gettysburg, PA

#9 May 1, 2011
A Real Fan wrote:
Are you on dope? Thats the only good Nascar racing left to watch.
F those cookie cutter boring ass mile tracks.
bender 2112

Gettysburg, PA

#10 May 1, 2011
A Real Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like Bobby Lee is the most UNeducated of all
Got that right, What a dumbass. Go back to playing Dungeons and Dragons or with yourself.
bender 2112

Gettysburg, PA

#11 May 1, 2011
barr wrote:
One reason could be that racing at Richmond is boring.
Always.
Although the Denny Hamlin charity race and the bonus K&N series race were great to watch on Speed the other night with Schrader and Herman in the booth with Mike Joy. What a breath of fresh air, and they were funny too. Getting real tired of Larry Mac saying the same thing over and over, and Jeff Hammond asking dumb questions. Anybody else agree?
bender 2112

Gettysburg, PA

#12 May 1, 2011
bender 2112 wrote:
<quoted text>
Always.
Although the Denny Hamlin charity race and the bonus K&N series race were great to watch on Speed the other night with Schrader and Herman in the booth with Mike Joy. What a breath of fresh air, and they were funny too. Getting real tired of Larry Mac saying the same thing over and over, and Jeff Hammond asking dumb questions. Anybody else agree?
And does anybody else agree that Kyle Busch is still a rude whiney tool when things don't go his way on the track, he keeps making it easy for fans not to like him. He could'nt even have the courtesy to talk to the media after having fuel pickup problems in a no points charity race. It's a charity race! Grow up man.
bender 2112

Gettysburg, PA

#13 May 1, 2011
Some channel should pickup FIA World Rally racing again and show the complete race, not just the highlights as the VS. channel currently airs.
That is the most demanding form of motorsports I have ever seen.
Talk about amazing drivers, and insane courses! All weather conditions, crazy fans cheating death standing on the edge of the racing line where the cars fly by them barely touching the ground. Whats not to like?
I used to be die hard Nacsar, but it has turned into an oversaturated, overhyped, no action snoozfest not long after Fox, and the horrible coverage of TNT and NBC and non- racing oriented producers got involved. Digger and his cartoon friends? Are you kidding me Fox? Thats when you jumped the shark man. I long for the good old days of ESPN and Bob Jenkins and action on and off the track. Even Bristol is ruined by the facelift and these COT cars as the recent attendace shows. That used to be a great night race. "Dem days or gone Yall"
INFO

Melbourne, FL

#14 May 1, 2011
bender 2112 wrote:
Some channel should pickup FIA World Rally racing again and show the complete race, not just the highlights as the VS. channel currently airs.
Talk about amazing drivers, and insane courses! All weather conditions, crazy fans cheating death standing on the edge of the racing line where the cars fly by them barely touching the ground. Whats not to like?
I used to be die hard Nacsar, but it has turned into an oversaturated, overhyped, no action snoozfest not long after Fox, and the horrible coverage of TNT and NBC and non- racing oriented producers got involved. Digger and his cartoon friends? Are you kidding me Fox? Thats when you jumped the shark man. I long for the good old days of ESPN and Bob Jenkins and action on and off the track. Even Bristol is ruined by the facelift and these COT cars as the recent attendace shows. That used to be a great night race. "Dem days or gone Yall"
I'm 68 years old and remember when NASCAR was truly "stock cars".
Granted modified but you could go to a race and the next day go to a dealer and buy a street road version of what you saw racing. Today it is a joke, manufacturer decals on the cars.
Maybe it's my age or memories but to me the races are boring anymore.
acrim

Sterling Heights, MI

#15 May 2, 2011
The inbred hicks that run A$$CAR have ruined the "sport". Between all the ridiculous and sissy rules, the focus on safety instead of speed, the joke COT, the shameless advertising, and the Waltrip huksters, it is truly entertaining to see this debacle go down the tank along with idiot Helton and France.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#16 May 2, 2011
It all comes down to economics. If ISC or SMI sells x amount of tickets at a certian track, and they can sell twice as many seats if they move the date, guess what they move the date. If pocono speedway owners ever sellout to SMI, guaranteed pocono races are gone somewhere else.
hmm

Washington, DC

#17 May 2, 2011
I've watched NASCAR since the 80's and all the new rules and ( the chase) not even fun to watch anymore. Been to about 40 races but not another one!
acrim

Sterling Heights, MI

#18 May 3, 2011
The only entertaining races anymore are the two road courses - the only tracks where the driver is actually important.

Since: Sep 10

Marion, NC

#19 May 3, 2011
bender 2112 wrote:
Yes 2112, WRC is BY FAR the most demanding form of motorsports. I agree some channel should pick it up!
Mary

Fredericksburg, VA

#20 May 3, 2011
Last Screenname Left wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes 2112, WRC is BY FAR the most demanding form of motorsports. I agree some channel should pick it up!
SPEED used to show some hour-long program long ago (I know that because I LOVED the theme song), but now the only time anything from World Rally is on SPEED Center.
bender 2112

Gettysburg, PA

#21 May 4, 2011
Does anybody else but me miss Bill Weber? Just kidding.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brian Keselowski Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tom Logano apologizes for run-in with Biffle (Oct '09) Feb '15 dicswg22 10
News Edwards on crutches with broken foot but plans ... (Sep '09) Apr '13 hello 6
News Ryan Newman calls on NASCAR to name drug involv... (May '09) Feb '13 Michael 4
News Forget the tie -- give dad a Father's Day adven... (Jun '11) Feb '12 nataliefish123 2
News Ryan Newman, Tony Stewart make it a Stewart-Haa... (Jul '11) Nov '11 Ricky Bobby 32
News April Fooled: NASCAR Hoax Causes Web Frenzy (Apr '09) Oct '11 brian929 136
News Auto Racing Links: Brad Keselowski's ankle, Ton... (Aug '11) Aug '11 ruttrosmokesmojo 1
More from around the web