Lester steals spotlight from Kahne

Full story: The Courier

HAMPTON, Ga. - Bill Lester stole the show from pole-winner Kasey Kahne on Friday night at Atlanta Motor Speedway, earning a spot in the Golden Corral 500 to become the the first black driver to qualify for a ...

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 36 of36
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
melissa

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2006

hadit wrote:
<quoted text>

That is right, as long as a black is particpating in anything they will get more hype than the white person in the same event. Perfect example, Tiger Woods is tied for 67th in The Players Championship today and his picture was on the front page of the paper. Poor Davis Love and Furky(both white)who are the co-leaders are pictured in the C section. The press bends over backwards to give coverage to blacks for the slightest accomplishment. Kasey was robbed of his rightful publicity for winning the pole and the race because all you could see and hear was Lester being interviewed.(I don't need any response about how great Tiger is. We know already. We have a "Tiger Watch" section in our paper every time he plays).
Wow that's not true it's media fault Tiger Woods is good and he came out and dominate in a white dominates sport.Last time I check Danica Patrick was getting alot of attention in the IRL and she not black.So it's not just black people it's what's diffrent and new that the media draw to.
nascarjunkie

La Vergne, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2006

I think it was screwed up that JR and Gordon finished 3rd and 4th and Lester was interviewed before them and he finished 38th six laps down. I am for minorities in the sport but u have to be GOOD in the sport. If u dont finish good then u shouldnt be interviewed. Same with Danica. Dont get me wrong shes hot and she may have talent but just because she got a pole and she finished fourth in the Indy 500 doesnt mean she should be interviewed after EVERY race.You should only be talked about if you are performing well.
nascarjunkie

La Vergne, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2006

Besides the racist/sexist argument or issue whichever you chose to call it is gettin very old. People need to get a new excuse.
melissa

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2006

nascarjunkie wrote:
I think it was screwed up that JR and Gordon finished 3rd and 4th and Lester was interviewed before them and he finished 38th six laps down. I am for minorities in the sport but u have to be GOOD in the sport. If u dont finish good then u shouldnt be interviewed. Same with Danica. Dont get me wrong shes hot and she may have talent but just because she got a pole and she finished fourth in the Indy 500 doesnt mean she should be interviewed after EVERY race.You should only be talked about if you are performing well.
I agree with you.The thing about it is that.Nascar wants diversity that's why it's a big deal.I think it's crazy that he got so much attention because he was in the truck races.I don't think anyone should get attention because of there skin or sex.That thing with Danaic is crazy that other girl Catarine have already won in the lower races in champcar while Danaic didn't even won yet,but I don't want to get started on that.I don't think anyone should get any thing handed to them because of there skin or they look good.Bill been in the truck race for a long time so good for him that he got a shot.That hold thing was he diffrent and a story, he just wanted to race.
Jim

Athens, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2006

Karjacker wrote:
Well this kid should do pretty good. Here in Los Angeles we have black guys with cars all the time driving real fast....from the cops!!! He should do good if they put the brake lights on the tops of the cars....
HaHa, Goodone. I dont care if he finished first, no one should have interviewed him b/c it only promotes the idea that blacks are wanted in this sport. There's a reason why we fly the Confederate Flags up high in sky on our RVs, anybody ever think about that?
Patti

Norcross, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2006

Jim wrote:
<quoted text>

HaHa, Goodone. I dont care if he finished first, no one should have interviewed him b/c it only promotes the idea that blacks are wanted in this sport. There's a reason why we fly the Confederate Flags up high in sky on our RVs, anybody ever think about that?
I so totally agree with you I raise my Rebel Flag PROUDLY!!!!!!!!!!
YouKnow

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2006

Jim wrote:
<quoted text>

MAYBE THATS WHY YOUR DRIVER LOSES ALL THE TIME YOU RAISE UP A LOOSING FLAG YOU DUMBASS
San Jose DJ

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2006

Jim wrote:
<quoted text>

For over 200 years, whites have been dictating what blacks can or cannot do. All Bill wants to do is drive race cars on a professonal level. These are supposed to be among the best drivers in the world, right? Well how will anyone know who the best drivers are if a whole population of poeple are excluded? People like you are really holding back progress in this country because of your backwards thinking. You must be scared to let anyone know that a black person can do things better that you, not to mention you have very low self esteam and you think no one knows it. Times have changed and you can do nothing about it. Also, the last time I checked, I have yet to hear of a NASCAR sponsor refuse business with black people. It is only a matter of time that a black person will in NASCAR. Look at what James Stewart is doing in Supercross right now. Have a good life.
Jamie Beam

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2006

Here's how I feel about letting Blacks drive in Nascar, prove yourself, not just argue to get into the sport because of being black...go out and prove yourself, you deserve to be in it..You can't just let everyone into the sport have their way...This isn't Burger King.. It's a sport the is deadly, not just dangerous but deadly, one of the best ended up killed..So, the sport needs good drivers not someone out there that doesn't belong, but was put out there just to shut the racist side of things..Isn't right!
Tigger

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2006

"Look at what James Stewart is doing in Supercross right now. Have a good life. "

I thought he was dead?? He gave up movies and became a motorcycle racer?
melissa

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2006

You know something for all you guys with racist view all I would love to bad mouth you,but I'm not your judge.When your time comes and someone ask you why do you have so much hate in your heart what would you say?Because they have diffrent skin color think of a better excuse.
C Bizzy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2006

I'd like to say that black NASCAR fans are growing by the dozens. I live near Lowe's Motor Speedway and have been to 5 out of the last 6 races there. The only reason I didn't go to the other one was because my girl whined about me going without her, since my buddy only had one ticket. My PUNK behind should've gone anyway, lol.
I'd like for you all to check out my new group at http://groups.myspace.com/blacknascarfans . We JUST started it, and the invitation is open to come in, join, talk a little trash, and for guys like karjacker, his opinion is welcome, hey, it's all a part of trash talkin'. He might get his behind kicked or thrown out if he gets too crazy, but we'll give him a chance to speak his mind. There were biggots when Tiger joined the PGA, now THEY all want his autograph!
Look forward to meeting you all!
Chris
MarkL

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2006

Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
So who are you speaking for?

How much NASCAR stock do you own? Wait, I'll answer that question for you YOU OWN NONE. The France family wholy owns NASCAR. It is not your sport, nor does it belong to any Confederate flag flyin, pick-up driving sun of the south.

There is a reason why there are races in Brooklyn, Michigan, Fontana, California, Phoenix, Arizona, Joliet, Illinois, Dover, Delaware, Kansas City, Kansas, and Indianapolis, Indiana. It ceased being a redneck-only sport a long time ago, and the France family understands that better than anyone. All those sponsors on the sides of your favorite car have different people to answer to as well.

Example?

JR's Budwieser Chevy is sponsored by Budwieser. They are headquartered in St. Louis. DuPont, who sponsors native Californian Jeff Gordon is headquartered in Delaware. Now I will give you that 90 percent of NASCAR teams are based out of the Charlotte area but the companies that finance them are based somewhere else. Oh, and understand that the companies that broadcast NASCAR's races are headquarted in Los Angeles and New York.

Of the near 80 million fans of NASCAR the vast majority of them are white but only a fraction of them are rednecks who fly the stars and bars. Just because that is the history of the sport, does not make it the sport's present situation and your thinking that is the case makes you look as out of touch with America as that relic you keep flying in your front yard. This is not the Confederate States of America, and NASCAR's unoffical symbol is not that flag, it is the money that they make from a national audience that could not care less about your personal preference in symbols.

In order for NASCAR to grow as a company. In order for them to compete against the NFL, NBA and Major League Baseball, they have to appeal to just as many people. That means they have to appeal to blacks, women, asians, hispanics, etc.. The confederate issue is something that NASCAR never wanted, it was just something they dealt with because the needed an audience. Face it, they have now offically outgrown you and are looking to build more tracks in places like New York, and Seattle.

They don't fly confederate flags there.
MarkL

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2006

Jamie Beam wrote:
Here's how I feel about letting Blacks drive in Nascar, prove yourself, not just argue to get into the sport because of being black...go out and prove yourself, you deserve to be in it..You can't just let everyone into the sport have their way...This isn't Burger King.. It's a sport the is deadly, not just dangerous but deadly, one of the best ended up killed..So, the sport needs good drivers not someone out there that doesn't belong, but was put out there just to shut the racist side of things..Isn't right!
Interesting.

And just how do you think racing works? Is it your impression that a driver racks up wins in other divisons and gets an automatic ticket at the highest level?

Let's look at some of the drivers in NEXTEL Cup and see if they really deserve to be there.

David Streme - No Cup wins, No Busch wins
Kevin LePage - No Cup wins, No Busch wins
Stanton Barrett - No Cup wins, No Busch wins
JJ Yeley - No Cup wins, No Busch wins
Kenny Wallace - No Cup wins
David Green - No Cup wins
Kirk Shelmerdine - No Cup wins
Kasey Mears - No Cup wins, One Busch win
Clint Bowyer - No Cup wins

I have yet to hear about a NASCAR requirement of being white to compete in the Cup Series. Many of the guys like Stremme get there because they are marketable, not because they have set the world on fire with their career achievements, so please do not hand me the "The deserve to be there." These guys are there pretty much because they are marketable. What makes them marketable is that the companies that sponsor them are companies that don't think that black drivers are marketable to a lilly white sport like NASCAR.

But that is changing.

It is changing more with every year. Lester has forged solid relationships with companies like Waste Management, Checkers, and SunTrust. Companies pay the bills and that is the only thing that raceteam owners care about, and if you do not think that's true, why don't you ask Robert Yates how he feels about losing UPS when Dale Jarrett goes to Michael Waltrip Racing next year!

Your statement is one made of ignorance. Your flag is a symbol of that ignorance. You and that girl from Georgia need to grow up and understand that Jefferson Davis, and Robert E. Lee are dead.

By the way, did you hear that Toyota was invading YOUR sport next year? Now you might drive a Ford, but chances are your friend drives a Toyota, or even works for Toyota. Just another reason why your thinking is so outdated. Even your sport is passing you by.
Billy B

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2007

I cheer for Mr. Lester, he went against the odds and moved from Ca. to N. C. this just shows his dedication. Itruly belive that he is so much better than the truckshe drives I just pray that one of the top teams will pick him up so he can show how good he really is.

“# 1 kasey kahne fan !! luv him”

Since: Jan 07

welch wv

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2007

EXUSE ME BUT WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH KASEY KAHNE AND BILL LESTER????????

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 36 of36
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Bill Lester Discussions

Search the Bill Lester Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Metrodome new roof should be ready by Aug. 1 (Feb '11) Feb '11 Grandmaster G 22
Blacks Still Find No Room In NASCAR (Mar '07) Feb '11 Lisaaa 8
Rolex Series Team-By Team Pre-Race Analysis: Me... (Apr '08) Apr '08 Lets go racing 1
Lester's NASCAR journey on detour (Jan '08) Feb '08 Joe Mess East Side BMore 2
TRUCKS: Lester Out, Monteith in No. 15 Chevy at... (Sep '07) Nov '07 MarkL5 4
Phila. Racing School Boosts Excitement for NASCAR (Feb '07) Feb '07 JC Hall III of Queens NY 2
NASCAR changing for the better (Mar '06) Feb '07 Cory Graham 21
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••