Lester steals spotlight from Kahne

Lester steals spotlight from Kahne

There are 36 comments on the The Courier story from Mar 18, 2006, titled Lester steals spotlight from Kahne. In it, The Courier reports that:

HAMPTON, Ga. - Bill Lester stole the show from pole-winner Kasey Kahne on Friday night at Atlanta Motor Speedway, earning a spot in the Golden Corral 500 to become the the first black driver to qualify for a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Knock Knock

Glendale, CA

#1 Mar 18, 2006
Well this kid should do pretty good. Here in Los Angeles we have black guys with cars all the time driving real fast....from the cops!!! He should do good if they put the brake lights on the tops of the cars....
Underbird

Bedminster, PA

#2 Mar 18, 2006
If I'm not mistaken the R in Nascar is for Racing not Racist!
melissa

AOL

#3 Mar 18, 2006
Karjacker wrote:
Well this kid should do pretty good. Here in Los Angeles we have black guys with cars all the time driving real fast....from the cops!!! He should do good if they put the brake lights on the tops of the cars....
You know it's people like you that give people a bad name.Why don't you keep your white hood on your head and walk around the street and see how man you reaily are?
P-dog

Bethlehem, PA

#4 Mar 19, 2006
melissa wrote:
<quoted text>You know it's people like you that give people a bad name.Why don't you keep your white hood on your head and walk around the street and see how man you reaily are?
Melissa that was actually funny as hell and I am a black man and I appreciate racist jokes that are actually funny and show some thought put into it. Not people just being racist to be racist. Hell hopefully it will the old days a bunch of white dudes in cars chasing a black dude...worked for the PGA
melissa

AOL

#5 Mar 19, 2006
Well I'm mix and my husband is black and we're from brooklyn,ny so if someone said that on the street I don't care how funny it was they will be running faster than the cars on the race track.It was very creative I'll give him that,but still.
becesteve

Drummondville, Canada

#6 Mar 20, 2006
Karjacker wrote:
Not very funny and not very informed.
The "kid" is in his mid-forties, married with a child due any day. His problem is he is driving for BDR who can't get a grip on the Dodges.
JOSH HEAD

Austin, TX

#8 Mar 20, 2006
THAT PERSON IS A DUMB ASS TO WRITE THAT!!!! THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK! ALTHOUGH I AM NOT BLACK I DID NOT FIND THAT TO FUNNY. BILL IS A GOOD/INTELEGENT/POLITE GUY AND I THINK HE WILL BE A GOOD PERSON TO ADD TO THE EQUATION.
ANYWAYS CONGRATES TO KASEY ON HIS WIN AT ATLANTA!!!
EVERY BODYS FRIEND JOSH HEAD.
ROB

United States

#9 Mar 20, 2006
I THINK THE GUY THAT MADE THE REMARK ABOUT THE BLACK GUYS GOING FAST AND RUNNING FROM THE COPS IS A BIG ASS. THAT IS WHAT KEEPS THE RACIST MESS GOING.LET IT GO THE MAN DID A HELL OF A GOOD JOB TODAY. BLACK OR WHITE.
YOUKNOW

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#10 Mar 21, 2006
I DONT CARE IF HES BLACK OR WHITE EITHER BUT A 38TH PLACE FINISH I NOT DONG A HELL OF A JOB. NOTHING AGAINST BILL BUT IF HE WANTED TO JOIN CUP HE SHOULD HAVE DONE IT WHEN HE WAS YOUNGER HES TO OLD TO BE WINNING RACES NOW EVEN IF HIS EQUIPENT IS CRAPPY HE DOESNT HAVE THE EXPERINCE TO RACE CUP. HE SHOULD HAVE DONE A SEASON OR TWO OF BUSCH BEFORE GOING TO CUP. OH AND PRETTY SURE BILL GETS TIRED OF PEOPLE JUST FOCUSING ON THE FACT THAT HE IS BLACK HE JUST WANTS TO BE A REGULAR DRIVER.
racerlover

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Mar 21, 2006
A FREE NASCAR POSTER!
its pretty cool, if you want one: http://www.raceweekonline.com/posteroffer-012...
Tazzman

United States

#12 Mar 21, 2006
racerlover wrote:
A FREE NASCAR POSTER!
its pretty cool, if you want one: http://www.raceweekonline.com/posteroffer-012...
Thanks for the link it looks good!!
BILL

United States

#13 Mar 21, 2006
Karjacker wrote:
THEY SHOULD PUT A WHITE SHEAT OVER YOUR STUPID AS* PAINT A TARGET ON IT DRIVE TO COMPTON CA THEN DUMP YOUR AS* IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET AT MIDNIGHT!! yOU SCUMBAG!!
Patti

Roswell, GA

#14 Mar 21, 2006
BILL wrote:
<quoted text> THEY SHOULD PUT A WHITE SHEAT OVER YOUR STUPID AS* PAINT A TARGET ON IT DRIVE TO COMPTON CA THEN DUMP YOUR AS* IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET AT MIDNIGHT!! yOU SCUMBAG!!
DAM Bill and to think you gave me advice on what to say on here. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!
Steve a Nascar Fan

Appleton, WI

#15 Mar 21, 2006
YOUKNOW wrote:
I DONT CARE IF HES BLACK OR WHITE EITHER BUT A 38TH PLACE FINISH I NOT DONG A HELL OF A JOB. NOTHING AGAINST BILL BUT IF HE WANTED TO JOIN CUP HE SHOULD HAVE DONE IT WHEN HE WAS YOUNGER HES TO OLD TO BE WINNING RACES NOW EVEN IF HIS EQUIPENT IS CRAPPY HE DOESNT HAVE THE EXPERINCE TO RACE CUP. HE SHOULD HAVE DONE A SEASON OR TWO OF BUSCH BEFORE GOING TO CUP. OH AND PRETTY SURE BILL GETS TIRED OF PEOPLE JUST FOCUSING ON THE FACT THAT HE IS BLACK HE JUST WANTS TO BE A REGULAR DRIVER.
I disagree. Dick Trickle did and he was older than Lester. He may not have won but he showed he could run with them. As far as his finish - he did say he was going to just run a clean race, stay out of trouble and just finish. I also think he would like to try it with his own and equipment so there is no question he wasn't protecting someones equipment. I also think the press should from here on out just reffer to all drivers without race consideration. If they had put him in that car without you seeing him or knowing his race would there be any comments at all. He did in fact for his very first race finish ahead of 5 others and had no damage to speak of. He did what he promised. He's a short track racer in a lower circuit. I would love to see him given a good car from roush or hendrick or DEI and tell him race as hard as possible, go for the win. And we will then see what he is made of. As for the rest of you. The best thing to do with the guy who made the first comment, the very racist one. Is to ignore him completely.l You made his day when you answer him back. Because this is what he was digging for. If you do not answer him - maybe he will go back to tossing his buddies salad or do some shrimpin with his buddy. LOL
AL to SoCal

Highland, CA

#16 Mar 21, 2006
Steve a Nascar Fan wrote:
<quoted text>

I disagree. Dick Trickle did and he was older than Lester. He may not have won but he showed he could run with them. As far as his finish - he did say he was going to just run a clean race, stay out of trouble and just finish. I also think he would like to try it with his own and equipment so there is no question he wasn't protecting someones equipment. I also think the press should from here on out just reffer to all drivers without race consideration. If they had put him in that car without you seeing him or knowing his race would there be any comments at all. He did in fact for his very first race finish ahead of 5 others and had no damage to speak of. He did what he promised. He's a short track racer in a lower circuit. I would love to see him given a good car from roush or hendrick or DEI and tell him race as hard as possible, go for the win. And we will then see what he is made of. As for the rest of you. The best thing to do with the guy who made the first comment, the very racist one. Is to ignore him completely.l You made his day when you answer him back. Because this is what he was digging for. If you do not answer him - maybe he will go back to tossing his buddies salad or do some shrimpin with his buddy. LOL
Exactly...

There are a few interesting points about all of the hype surrounding Bill Lester. I wondered why they would make such a big deal about him being black considering that the black drivers that came before him surely had a tougher time than he did. I started to understand when I read what Richard Petty said about the impact of Bill Lester. His point was that Willy T. Ribbs was more focused on being known for being black and in NASCAR, while Bill Lester is focused more on just being in NASCAR. Lester obviously understands the significance of the difference between his and Willey's situation. At first I was disappointed that the media would overlook the awesome backstory just to go for the race issue. Thanks to the comments by 'the King' I have a better understanding of the significance.

I had the opportunity to meet Bill Lester a few weeks ago right before Fontana. Of all the drivers I met that day, he seemed to be the one who most appreciated just being able to live the dream of being a professional driver, although I must say that Bodine and Benson were totally cool as well. IMHO - Waltrip came off as a bit of a Jerk. It's really easy to say it after the fact, but I decided to pay more attention to the truck series base solely of the fact that I wanted to support Lester, Bodine and Benson.

I'd be willing to bet that next year Bill Lester will be Toyota's attention getter in the Cup. Think about it..their current line up of drivers sucks (IMHO) Waltrip (a sponsor fav who has passed his height of popularity), Blaney(got beat up by Jeff, lol)...maybe Robbie Gordon (said Danica had an unfair weight advantage in Indy)...maybe Kevin Harvick (good, but not doing so great right now) AND the fact that he's driving a Bill Davis car in the Cup this year.

Actually, I have already made that bet:-) I have a standing bet of $50 with 3 different people that he'll be regular in a Toyota ride next year.
Kahne Fan

Troutville, VA

#17 Mar 22, 2006
Bill Lester did do an awesome job on Monday.But by NO means did he steal Kasey's glory.Kasey's victory will go down in the books and that they can never change.Wat to go Kasey!!!!!!!!!! Also awesome Bill Lester!!!!!!!
Patti

Roswell, GA

#18 Mar 24, 2006
My God all we will here now is about a Black Race Car Driver
hadit

Jacksonville, FL

#19 Mar 24, 2006
Patti wrote:
My God all we will here now is about a Black Race Car Driver
That is right, as long as a black is particpating in anything they will get more hype than the white person in the same event. Perfect example, Tiger Woods is tied for 67th in The Players Championship today and his picture was on the front page of the paper. Poor Davis Love and Furky(both white)who are the co-leaders are pictured in the C section. The press bends over backwards to give coverage to blacks for the slightest accomplishment. Kasey was robbed of his rightful publicity for winning the pole and the race because all you could see and hear was Lester being interviewed.(I don't need any response about how great Tiger is. We know already. We have a "Tiger Watch" section in our paper every time he plays).
YouKnow

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#20 Mar 24, 2006
DONT BLAME THE BLACK GUY FOR THAT ITS NOT HIS FUALT HE DIDNT JOIN THE SPORT TO START CONTROVERSY HES HERE TO RACE. ITS THE MEDIAS FUALT THERE ARET MORE BLACK DRIVERS IN THE SPORT THEY PLAY EVERYTHING UP SO BAD
whos your daddy

Flagstaff, AZ

#21 Mar 24, 2006
nascar will do just about anything to get a black driver so all the steriotype about it being a bubba good ol boy redneck sport from the south will stop. there are driving schools trying to train future black drivers for this purpose. that is why tiger woods gets laot of attention, he is the token black guy like it or not. there are a few other sports that are lacking in black talent like hockey and winter olypic sports supercross bmx, and skate boarding for example. you can thank jesse jackson and the like for this. they are the ones that will bring it to the media and scream racism.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bill Lester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Metrodome new roof should be ready by Aug. 1 (Feb '11) Feb '11 Grandmaster G 22
News Blacks Still Find No Room In NASCAR (Mar '07) Feb '11 Lisaaa 8
News Rolex Series Team-By Team Pre-Race Analysis: Me... (Apr '08) Apr '08 Lets go racing 1
News Lester's NASCAR journey on detour (Jan '08) Feb '08 Joe Mess East Sid... 2
News TRUCKS: Lester Out, Monteith in No. 15 Chevy at... (Sep '07) Nov '07 MarkL5 4
News Phila. Racing School Boosts Excitement for NASCAR (Feb '07) Feb '07 JC Hall III of Qu... 2
News NASCAR changing for the better (Mar '06) Feb '07 Cory Graham 21
More from around the web