Waltrip misses cut

Waltrip misses cut

There are 108 comments on the ESPN story from Apr 22, 2007, titled Waltrip misses cut. In it, ESPN reports that:

“No one has asked me to step aside”

Michael Waltrip doesn't plan to turn his No. 55 Toyota over to another driver anytime soon despite missing his seventh straight Nextel Cup race, but he has thought about it. via ESPN

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ESPN.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Virgil Lane

Clayton, NC

#1 Apr 27, 2007
Is Bill Elliott going to race agan?

“KAIZEN!”

Since: Apr 07

Gambier , Oh.

#2 Apr 27, 2007
Virgil Lane wrote:
Probably! but NOT IN THE 55!! See Uupdate to your old story!

Scottsdale, AZ

#4 May 25, 2007
Jr in 07 wrote:
How more many races is he goin to miss before he realizes he needs to get his ass out of the car? Does he have to miss the entire season before he understands that it's time to put another driver in that car!
He hasn't put another driver in because there in no need. Toyota has admitted their engines weren't working to full capicity but yet, with this information, you still claim it's Michael that's the problem. I suggest you take off your Junior colored glasses and read things before posting.
Toyota has now tweaked the engines, and they have alot more power. It was proven when Michael, who usually misses qualifying on the first lap but then gets on the bubble on the second, actually got on the bubble on the FIRST lap, but wrecked on the second. If he hadn't wrecked, he would have been IN the race and Kenny Wallace would have been out.

Since: May 07

Spokane, WA

#5 May 25, 2007
If he is 1908 points behind the leader right now and there is 24 more races till the chase can you imagine where he will be if he doesn't get out now, and hes only made like $200,000 or so (from racing) this year and he has wrecked how many cars? At this point he is going to end up in the hole. I hope his endorsements are making him enough to cover all those cars, not to mention his personal one. It's time Michael to throw in the towel and I bet big brother would agree...Just be an owner.

Scottsdale, AZ

#6 May 25, 2007
Tamara24 wrote:
If he is 1908 points behind the leader right now and there is 24 more races till the chase can you imagine where he will be if he doesn't get out now, and hes only made like $200,000 or so (from racing) this year and he has wrecked how many cars? At this point he is going to end up in the hole. I hope his endorsements are making him enough to cover all those cars, not to mention his personal one. It's time Michael to throw in the towel and I bet big brother would agree...Just be an owner.
Nah, it's a start up organization with a new auto maker. No need to give up. The engines are better now, he just made a mistake with the new tires. Boy, if everyone gave up on things as quickly as you all do, this world would be a worse shit hole than it is. You all sound like quitters.
To suceed in life, you CANNOT GIVE UP just because things aren't going your way temporarily. Do you think for one second that Hendrick, Roush, Childress, or Gibbs immediately went out and won races? No. They had the luxury of the fastest 40 qualifying on time and then a few provisionals. They didn't have to worry about this top 35 rule. If qualifying was the way it USED to be, Michael would have been in every race but Atlanta and Bristol.
Michael didn't give up when he was 0 for 463 or whatever and then he won 4 races within 3 years. It's called having a heart. Did Jeff Gordon just give up when he was having bad years? No way. Did Tony? No. Did Junior give up and quit because he didn't make the chase? NO they are not losers who quit. Neither is Michael.
Danny

Russell, KY

#8 May 26, 2007
Renee29404 wrote:
<quoted text>
He hasn't put another driver in because there in no need. Toyota has admitted their engines weren't working to full capicity but yet, with this information, you still claim it's Michael that's the problem. I suggest you take off your Junior colored glasses and read things before posting.
Toyota has now tweaked the engines, and they have alot more power. It was proven when Michael, who usually misses qualifying on the first lap but then gets on the bubble on the second, actually got on the bubble on the FIRST lap, but wrecked on the second. If he hadn't wrecked, he would have been IN the race and Kenny Wallace would have been out.
You obviously wasn't watching the qualifying. When MW was qualifying, no one at that point had improved in their 2nd lap.That didn't happen until the track had cooled. All I saw was 4 Toyotas qualify with their new engine packages.MW himself said, " I can't drive a car."

Scottsdale, AZ

#9 May 26, 2007
Danny wrote:
<quoted text>You obviously wasn't watching the qualifying. When MW was qualifying, no one at that point had improved in their 2nd lap.That didn't happen until the track had cooled. All I saw was 4 Toyotas qualify with their new engine packages.MW himself said, " I can't drive a car."
Uh yeah he said he can't drive the car because it was crap. Wasn't the engine. He said in an interview the engine was fine, it was the handling of the car. They just haven't been able to get the cars handling the way Michael likes them. Said this car was all over the place. Besides, Jarrett went out not long after Michael and he ran the exact same time Michael did on his first lap, then picked up on the second and made the race.

“Obama Express”

Since: Dec 06

yes we can*health reform**

#11 May 26, 2007
Virgil Lane wrote:
hope not ..he is way over the hill.
Jennifer

AOL

#12 May 26, 2007
Rennee four arizona really fat Fat Pig and jackson ass and Mother F \

you sick Bitch
Jeff24rocks

United States

#13 May 27, 2007
Michael needs to ditch Toyota, not the car
FORDMAN

Washington, DC

#14 May 27, 2007
Yeah Michael would be doing a lot better in Chevys. He might actually qualify.
WWE NASCAR

Trumbull, CT

#16 May 27, 2007
the reality is, Michael Waltrip is a boob.

Spokane, WA

#17 May 27, 2007
Tamara24 wrote:
I don't think it would make him a quitter, I just think he needs to chose between being a driver or being an owner. He started MWR and he should see it through, but as an owner! It's too much for anyone to do both! He doesn't have the edge it takes to competitive right now, so why not save himself from the embarrassment hes causing himself and just do what he came to do by starting MWR. How long do you think he should wait?

Spokane, WA

#18 May 27, 2007
Renee29404 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah, it's a start up organization with a new auto maker. No need to give up. The engines are better now, he just made a mistake with the new tires. Boy, if everyone gave up on things as quickly as you all do, this world would be a worse shit hole than it is. You all sound like quitters.
To suceed in life, you CANNOT GIVE UP just because things aren't going your way temporarily. Do you think for one second that Hendrick, Roush, Childress, or Gibbs immediately went out and won races? No. They had the luxury of the fastest 40 qualifying on time and then a few provisionals. They didn't have to worry about this top 35 rule. If qualifying was the way it USED to be, Michael would have been in every race but Atlanta and Bristol.
Michael didn't give up when he was 0 for 463 or whatever and then he won 4 races within 3 years. It's called having a heart. Did Jeff Gordon just give up when he was having bad years? No way. Did Tony? No. Did Junior give up and quit because he didn't make the chase? NO they are not losers who quit. Neither is Michael.
Oops the above was supposed to be addressed to this person and this comment. sorry.

“"drive for five in'10"”

Since: Jan 07

Your the Man!

#19 May 27, 2007
Renee29404 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Renee I know other teams have had their struggles too and didn't give up. But This is bad. He can't qualify if he can't keep his car off the wall. Maybe he should concentrate on just being an owner. Why put himself and his family thru thisagony every week?
Gordon fan from the start

Denver, CO

#20 May 27, 2007
I LOVE Michael Waltrip! I think the problem mostly lies with the Toyota car. But then again, michael has never really been a top notch driver. It just might be time for him to set driving aside and focus on what he is good at.....being a commentator!

Mountain City, TN

#21 May 28, 2007
If it weren't for the fact the top 35 in points is "guaranteed" a spot in the race, Michael would have made alot of the races he's missed. Many times, he qualified better than those who are "locked in".

Peoria, AZ

#22 Jun 5, 2007
Well well well, Toyota gets new engines and Michael qualifies. Still think it wasn't the engines? Toyota said they had a problem with the engines and fixed it. Michael said they had a problem. It got fixed. Interesting. Dave Blaney is a moron. Look who he drives for. Oh but he'll be fired soon via certified letter. They already fired his crew chief because Blaney isn't making races anymore.
gmb

Orangeburg, NY

#23 Jun 6, 2007
Michael is a mess...Toyota is a mess

“KAIZEN!”

Gambier , Oh.

#24 Jun 6, 2007
gmb wrote:
Michael is a mess...Toyota is a mess
Sooner than you know it we'll be changing the is in your statement to was!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bill Elliott Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chase Elliott to graduate high school -- then b... (May '14) May '14 WWE CRASHCAR 2014 5
1000 Nascar Races on DVD (Aug '11) Dec '13 Tony Rogganbuck 3
News Joseph William O'Byrne Jr. (Dec '13) Dec '13 Randy Jenkins 1
900 Nascar Races on DVD or VHS (Feb '07) Aug '13 TERRY 55
News The most popular driver in NASCAR for 2013 is a (Apr '13) Apr '13 Bubba 16
Wanting to trade F1, IndyCar, NASCAR, etc (Mar '12) Mar '13 Mark 2
Christmas Sale on Nascar Race DVDs 1000 Races (Nov '09) Mar '13 Matthew Gallimore 2
More from around the web