Column: When all is said and done, Go...

Column: When all is said and done, Gordon will be the best there ever was

There are 8 comments on the Niles Daily Star story from Oct 20, 2007, titled Column: When all is said and done, Gordon will be the best there ever was. In it, Niles Daily Star reports that:

I really hate to admit this, but I am cheering for Jeff Gordon to win the NEXTEL Cup championship this year. via Niles Daily Star

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Niles Daily Star.

catman

Adel, GA

#2 Oct 28, 2007
YEA RIGHT NO WAY

anderson 24

“Obama Express”

Since: Dec 06

yes we can*health reform**

#3 Oct 28, 2007
catman wrote:
YEA RIGHT NO WAY
nothing has to be said or done ''jeff is the best there ever was an always will be ''no doubt about that ''go jeff an jimmy..........
Nas

Canton, MI

#4 Oct 28, 2007
There's no doubt that Jeff is among the elite in Nascar history. Everyone always likes to try and point to an individual and proclaim that person the best, but I shy away from that. You can make a claim for a handful of drivers being the best, but it's all subjective and determined by your definition of the best. If you wanna go with pure numbers, than "The King" is the best there ever was and probably ever will be. If Championships is your criteria, than certainly, Dale Sr. would rank even with Petty. If you judge based mainly on your opinion of driving talent, than the list certainly expands even more. I think there's a very limited and elite group of drivers throughout the history of Nascar and Jeff is certainly among that group. His driving talent is undebatable and his numbers are certainly evidence of that. Whether you like the guy or not, his success on the track leaves no question that he ranks among the best there has ever been. Anyone who posts anything that doesn't agree with that is just laughable. I wasn't very fond of Dale Sr, but I'm certainly not ridiculous enough to deny that he was among the best ever.
TB Chief

Decatur, IL

#5 Oct 28, 2007
You can't forget that Gordon drove for one of the best organizations his entire career. Just say if he driven for a lesser owner how good would he have been? It takes more than just driving ability. I am not slighting him at all. He is a great driver but Hendrick is a grat place to drive and helped his career a bunch.
Nas

Canton, MI

#6 Oct 28, 2007
TB Chief wrote:
You can't forget that Gordon drove for one of the best organizations his entire career. Just say if he driven for a lesser owner how good would he have been? It takes more than just driving ability. I am not slighting him at all. He is a great driver but Hendrick is a grat place to drive and helped his career a bunch.
Yea, that is certainly true, but that could be said about all the drivers who have success. No one can compete on a consistent basis without the equipment to do so. You also have to consider all the drivers who have been on good teams who haven't accomplished what these legends have. There's a reason these guys stand out. Granted, these days multi-car teams are more the norm, where as in the past that wasn't necessarily the case, but you can rest assured Petty, Earnhardt, Waltrip, Allison, Pearson, etc... all had competitive equipment.

“Not insane”

Since: Sep 07

Colorado Springs, CO

#7 Oct 29, 2007
A lot of the "best" driver speculation is based on how long will drivers stay in the sport professionally? Every win Gordon racks up now, may be unreachable in the future by other current or future drivers, just as Petty's numbers are unreachable to any drivers now.
Still, I agree that there are too many criteria that could be applied to name a "Best" driver of all time. We should stick with "one of the best."
Nas

Canton, MI

#8 Oct 29, 2007
revvinjim wrote:
A lot of the "best" driver speculation is based on how long will drivers stay in the sport professionally? Every win Gordon racks up now, may be unreachable in the future by other current or future drivers, just as Petty's numbers are unreachable to any drivers now.
Still, I agree that there are too many criteria that could be applied to name a "Best" driver of all time. We should stick with "one of the best."
Yes, longevity is certainly a criteria to be placed among the elite. For instance, Tony Stewart certainly has the skill, but will be around long enough to attain a legend status?

“Save the drama fer yer mama!!!”

Since: Mar 07

North Cackalacky

#9 Oct 29, 2007
I disagree about JG being "the best there ever was". He is a great driver but I say that Richard Petty is "the best there ever was" based solely on his record. I also like how charitable the entire Petty family is and I like that both the King and Kyle stand by their principles and will not work with a sponsor just because of $$$, if the sponsor does not fit with their beliefs they won't take the money.
anderson 24 wrote:
<quoted text>nothing has to be said or done ''jeff is the best there ever was an always will be ''no doubt about that ''go jeff an jimmy..........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bill Elliott Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Joseph William O'Byrne Jr. (Dec '13) Jan '17 mike 2
Tony Stewart's 2011 championship race win (Nov '16) Nov '16 Angele 1
900 Nascar Races on DVD or VHS (Feb '07) Apr '16 GErrt 56
News Chase Elliott to graduate high school -- then b... (May '14) May '14 WWE CRASHCAR 2014 5
1000 Nascar Races on DVD (Aug '11) Dec '13 Tony Rogganbuck 3
News The most popular driver in NASCAR for 2013 is a (Apr '13) Apr '13 Bubba 16
Wanting to trade F1, IndyCar, NASCAR, etc (Mar '12) Mar '13 Mark 2
More from around the web