Newton: Chasing JJ in 2011 won't get any easier

Nov 29, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: ESPN

Being picked to win the Sprint Cup championship the year after a strong finish may rank up there with being on the cover of "Sports Illustrated" or the John Madden NFL video game if recent trends hold true.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 13 of13
debrobeaudean

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

For LORDS sake... I get it... the REASON why NASCAR has to let STATS matter in a sport in which STATS are completely irrelevant is WHY NASCAR needs to keep doing miracles for Jimmie Johnson, penalizing anyone who is a real threat,while not penalizing the 48 team... HEY ESPN.... STATS SHOULD NOT EVEN BE CONSIDERED in a sport where REAL racers get WRECKED...
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Judged:

It's alarming that the article predicts ALL HMS teams (yes, even Jr) in the Chase - and in the top 10! If that indeeds happen, Debi, there should be no doubt there's something to your Nascar kissy-kissy relationship with HMS.

Is the purpose of expanding the Chase to 15 is to alert more drivers to pullover when they see the 48 coming?

Predicting Tony in the bottom 1/3 and totally leaving Ryan out - majorly disturbing!

If his predictions are even close - this might be the final straw for Nascar - and can it really afford to lose many more ticket sales and ratings?
Carolyn

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Judged:

Jr. above Tony? I don't believe that.
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Jr in the top 10 - how many crew chiefs ago has that happened - like that will make a difference!

The 2010 Chase would have had to include the top 21 for him to have made it.

This article is totally one JJ fan's opinion. What can we expect?

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Judged:

I dont really see a point in expanding the chase to 15 drivers. if we have to have a "chase", its already watered down with 12 drivers. Jeff Burton finished 12th 600 points back after 10 races. Thats an AVERAGE of 10-15 finishing positions per race behind the leaders. The drivers in the 13th to 15th didnt put together anything close to a championship caliber run during the chase races. Expanding the number of drivers simply isnt justified.

What I'd like to see (and this is strictly my opinion) is the # of races in the chase expanded to 12. This would give us a 24 race "regular season" and a 12 race "championship". I would also like to see the schedule tweaked to include more difficult tracks in the chase. The Southern 500 should be a "Chase" race. Bristol should be a chase event. There should be a road course in the chase. IMO, the "chase" has too many cookie cutter tracks.
X Jr Fan

Cleveland, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

i would like to see the chase expanded to 36 races.
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

That would make most fans happy - but they tried that and it too hard to give the championship to JJ.
debrobeaudean

Spring City, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

menards wrote:
I dont really see a point in expanding the chase to 15 drivers. if we have to have a "chase", its already watered down with 12 drivers. Jeff Burton finished 12th 600 points back after 10 races. Thats an AVERAGE of 10-15 finishing positions per race behind the leaders. The drivers in the 13th to 15th didnt put together anything close to a championship caliber run during the chase races. Expanding the number of drivers simply isnt justified.
What I'd like to see (and this is strictly my opinion) is the # of races in the chase expanded to 12. This would give us a 24 race "regular season" and a 12 race "championship". I would also like to see the schedule tweaked to include more difficult tracks in the chase. The Southern 500 should be a "Chase" race. Bristol should be a chase event. There should be a road course in the chase. IMO, the "chase" has too many cookie cutter tracks.
I agree... I think that right now, there are 2 teams who should not even be in the chase already.. it is ludicrous to include MORE... hey NASCAR,, why not have ALL the locked in teams be IN THE CHASE and that way... it will go right back to how it used to BE!!!
but they definately need to have a road course in the chase, there are far too many cookie cutters.
unfortunately Tony being listed in the bottom third of the chasers probably means this reporter overheard the talk between Tony and Rick when Rick told him, "Tony, I am going to support you in this sprint CAR deal,, but not so much in the sprint CUP, in fact we are using CIA mind control on you to make you our kamakazi during the chase next year to help Jr out... but don't worry,, just like this year,, we will let you get a top 10 finish if you perform as we expect... remember, I got Mobile One to give you some races... maybe there will be more if you behave"

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

I agree, the format should never have been changed in the first place.
X Jr Fan wrote:
i would like to see the chase expanded to 36 races.
SWard

South Gate, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

menards wrote:
I like your opinion!!!! Darlington and Bristol are perfect tracks for the chase, a road course could change all driver points and stir it all up, I really like your idea of Darlington being in the chase, that track should have never left the schedule and should have never been moved from Labor Day. I personally would like to see North Wilkesboro back, can you imagine the class of drivers we have now fighting it out at N. Wilkesboro. They have renovated the track and I hear, dont know if its the truth, they will run trucks there, again, just a rumor. But that rumor excites me, N Wilkesboro was a killer track, small but killer!!!!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Rockingham should also be a chase race. The season finale should be the Southern 500.
SWard wrote:
<quoted text>I like your opinion!!!! Darlington and Bristol are perfect tracks for the chase, a road course could change all driver points and stir it all up, I really like your idea of Darlington being in the chase, that track should have never left the schedule and should have never been moved from Labor Day. I personally would like to see North Wilkesboro back, can you imagine the class of drivers we have now fighting it out at N. Wilkesboro. They have renovated the track and I hear, dont know if its the truth, they will run trucks there, again, just a rumor. But that rumor excites me, N Wilkesboro was a killer track, small but killer!!!!!!
SWard

South Gate, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

menards wrote:
Rockingham should also be a chase race. The season finale should be the Southern 500.
<quoted text>
Hit the nail on the head!!!!!!! I thought about it and The Rock would be an excellent venue for the finale. Make em go old school, if thats even possiable with the new car and all. Rockingham is like Bristol in one way, you dont leave without somebodys tire marks on your racecar. Plus the tracks we have talked about are all tracks with a rich history. Heck, NASCAR wouldnt be what it is without them, and my old self is proud to have seen many races at all these tracks. Ive seen it at its best and Ive seen it at its worse, sometimes I just dont know what to make of it anymore,{ Im talking about NASCAR} Cant wait till Feburary!!!!!!!!!

“smokes~ mojo”

kepin' the ears on the big dog

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

I agree rock ,bristol and darlington are a must to every year...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 13 of13
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Benny Gordon Discussions

Search the Benny Gordon Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Tandem drafting not what it's cracked up to be (Apr '11) Apr '12 Ezra D 5
Stenhouse earns 1st win of 2012 at Las Vegas (Mar '12) Mar '12 Jorge 1
Grubb making all the right calls for Stewart (Sep '11) Sep '11 Merv 1
Smoked 'Em Again: Stewart goes back-to-back, fo... (Sep '11) Sep '11 Hilton Head 1
NASCAR: Johnson starts bid for 6th title under ... (Sep '11) Sep '11 Sorry 2
Earnhardt can't raise interest in NASCAR's titl... (Sep '11) Sep '11 WWE CRASHCAR 2011 4
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series: Why 2011's Chase Will... (Sep '11) Sep '11 menards 4
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••