No. 8 could go to Mark Martin

No. 8 could go to Mark Martin

There are 69 comments on the The Orlando Sentinel story from Aug 26, 2007, titled No. 8 could go to Mark Martin. In it, The Orlando Sentinel reports that:

“If there's anyone who can represent Dale Earnhardt Inc. in the No. 8, it's Mark Martin”

The recent-hit NASCAR soap opera, 'Too Much Ado About the No. 8,' took a cliff-hanging turn Thursday, sure to hold audiences into next NASCAR season.

A little organ music, please: Will long-beloved Mark Martin and up-and-coming minority driver Aric Almirola come under storms of boos next NASCAR season, none of it their own doing?

Dale Earnhardt Inc., owned by Teresa Earnhardt, reportedly is exploring the possibility of making Martin and Almirola co-drivers, in a split schedule next year, of the No. 8 Chevrolet to be vacated at the end of this season by Dale Earnhardt Jr. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Jessica

United States

#1 Aug 26, 2007
I think that Teresa should have gave Dale Jr. the number 8. There is really no meaning to the number to her but there is a meaning in it for Jr. I'm not mad that he dose get it but it would have been nice to see him in the number 8 car in 2008
krw

Bend, OR

#2 Aug 26, 2007
If I were Teresa, I honestly wouldn't put anyone in that car for at least a year or two, Jr's fans won't like it until they see him performing well in the number he gets at Hendrick. Time heals, she needs to wait...just my opinion.
TB Chief

Decatur, IL

#3 Aug 28, 2007
I sure hope Mark knows what he is getting into! Teresa seems to be a very spiteful person. She is cunning though, by choosing Mark Martin she knows he is well respected and will likely NOT hear the boos that someone else would driving that car. She is shrewd and plays her cards well. As much as I think JR should be driving that number even I could'nt get myself to boo Mark Martin.
TEC

Kansas City, KS

#4 Aug 28, 2007
Teresa is ruining an empire Dale built for his kids. #8 should have gone with Jr. but after a couple of years with an organization that will give Jr. a championship. Maybe he will come back and bring the Earnhardt name back to DEI. After she has run it in the ground. Giving the #8 to Martin is just throwing salt in the wound.
MM Fan

Santa Monica, CA

#5 Aug 28, 2007
Heck, Mark should have taken the 6 with HIM! What about all us MM fans with t-shirts, cars, books, autographs all with the 6?

A driver is just a wheelman not a number.

Just ask Mark.

MM Fan

“JRW 88 Fan 4 Life!!”

Since: Jul 07

EARNHARDTVILLE

#6 Aug 28, 2007
TB Chief wrote:
I sure hope Mark knows what he is getting into! Teresa seems to be a very spiteful person. She is cunning though, by choosing Mark Martin she knows he is well respected and will likely NOT hear the boos that someone else would driving that car. She is shrewd and plays her cards well. As much as I think JR should be driving that number even I could'nt get myself to boo Mark Martin.
You make a very good point,I heard Jr. say Mark Martin would be his choice for the 8 and as you said Mark receives that veteran respect so I could never boo ole Mark either.Plus Marks a great guy ...smiles ,Go Jr.!
TB Chief

Decatur, IL

#7 Aug 28, 2007
Jrsredneckwoman wrote:
<quoted text>You make a very good point,I heard Jr. say Mark Martin would be his choice for the 8 and as you said Mark receives that veteran respect so I could never boo ole Mark either.Plus Marks a great guy ...smiles ,Go Jr.!
You and I seem to think alot alike on these Junior issues. Scary Huh?
Terry

Gardner, KS

#8 Aug 28, 2007
TB Chief wrote:
I agree with ya TB I couldn't boo Mark the guy is a class act. But Teresa is just a calulating Bitch plain and simple. Have a great day my friend.
Holy Moly

Alexandria, VA

#9 Aug 28, 2007
I agree, I think Mark M. has a lot of class and I hope that the beer can throwers will leave him alone.
TB Chief wrote:
MM Fan

Huntington Beach, CA

#10 Aug 28, 2007
A good question is what Beer will the beer throwers throw???

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

#13 Aug 28, 2007
MM Fan wrote:
A good question is what Beer will the beer throwers throw???
After the comment Ray Evernham made to Dave Moody this evening on NASCAR radio that he would buy Dave a beer in a couple of weeks I don't think it's going to be a "Bud".

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#14 Aug 28, 2007
Jrsredneckwoman wrote:
<quoted text>You make a very good point,I heard Jr. say Mark Martin would be his choice for the 8 and as you said Mark receives that veteran respect so I could never boo ole Mark either.Plus Marks a great guy ...smiles ,Go Jr.!
If Jr is cool with Mark driving the #8 next year,I hope Jr fans don't boo him.
TB Chief

Decatur, IL

#15 Aug 29, 2007
Angii wrote:
<quoted text>
If Jr is cool with Mark driving the #8 next year,I hope Jr fans don't boo him.
Mark is one of the few that could drive that number and NOT hear the wrath of the fans. At least I hope so! Jr fans need to accept the fact that Mark had nothing to do with this number thing snd leave him alone. I will be cheering for Junior all the way but IF Eury JR stays at DEI Mark Martin might have his last but best shot at winning a Daytona 500. Like I said I will be rooting for Junior but I think alot of poeple will be happy for Mark if he would pull off a Daytona win. He would probably get a receptiopn like Dale SR did when he finally won it.
Cheryl

San Francisco, CA

#16 Aug 29, 2007
If someone boos Mark for driving a car, then those people need to find another sport. This has really just plain become silly. Rather any of us like it or not, this sport is a business. It is not the way it was 20 - 30 years ago. I read an article regarding an interview Jr did last week when he told people to lay off. You know he is right in that all the name calling and hate thrown at Teresa is not going to phase her. She is an adult. She does not have to read the comments or even care. However, Taylor is another story. I have read a lot of hateful remarks that are uncalled for. If any of you out there who would hand over a business you helped build (yes she did help build it) or handover a number that has become so marketable, take this advice. Don't start your own business. You will not make it. I can 100% guarantee you Jr and Kelly would do the same thing if they were running the business and a marketable driver left the fold. You can not run a business and make decisions on feeling or emotions. That is what you folks are running on which is great when you are a fan, but I only know one fan that owns a sports team (Mavericks) and I bet he makes his decisions differently then he did prior to investing time and money into that team.
Holy Moly

Alexandria, VA

#17 Aug 29, 2007
I agree with you. Mark is probably one of the few drivers who could get in the 8 car and not feel the wrath.
TB Chief wrote:
<quoted text>Mark is one of the few that could drive that number and NOT hear the wrath of the fans. At least I hope so! Jr fans need to accept the fact that Mark had nothing to do with this number thing snd leave him alone. I will be cheering for Junior all the way but IF Eury JR stays at DEI Mark Martin might have his last but best shot at winning a Daytona 500. Like I said I will be rooting for Junior but I think alot of poeple will be happy for Mark if he would pull off a Daytona win. He would probably get a receptiopn like Dale SR did when he finally won it.

“JRW 88 Fan 4 Life!!”

Since: Jul 07

EARNHARDTVILLE

#18 Aug 29, 2007
Holy Moly wrote:
I agree with you. Mark is probably one of the few drivers who could get in the 8 car and not feel the wrath. <quoted text>
I truely believe he would be a good guy for the ride.And the least to get trashed at the track!...smiles to ya dear.
Holy Moly

Alexandria, VA

#19 Aug 29, 2007
Smiles right back at ya!!! Have a great day!
Jrsredneckwoman wrote:
<quoted text>I truely believe he would be a good guy for the ride.And the least to get trashed at the track!...smiles to ya dear.
Les2

New Philadelphia, OH

#20 Aug 30, 2007
wasn't it obvious that MM was gonna drive the 8?

Since: Mar 07

Coldwater, MS

#21 Aug 31, 2007
I think Mark is the only one who can pull off driving the #8 and get the respect HE deserves.

“2008 Bride”

Since: Jan 07

Charlotte, NC

#22 Aug 31, 2007
The whole drivers' numbers and that Teresa should have given the number to Jr saga is crazy!

A legendary status such as Richard Petty or even Dale Earnhardt should stay with those drivers.

Dale Jr fans are just going to have to look over the #8 not being associated with him. That #8 is an Earnhardt "family" number. Both Ralph Earnhardt and Dale Sr drove it, along with Kerry and Dale Jr. It's a family number, and it wouldn't be right for that number to go over to Hendricks! Dale personally bought that number with NASCAR's approval for him to have it at DEI. Yes, for Dale Jr to drive it, but he wanted that number to be in the Dale Earnhardt stable. He didn't want another race team to get that number. I do agree with Teresa on that. That number is sacred like the "3" is to RCR or the "43" is to Petty's family.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aric Almirola Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News RPM's No. 43 returning to traditional "Petty Blue" (Mar '13) Mar '13 Duh1 1
News Jeffrey Earnhardt Out Of Dale Earnhardt Inc. Ca... (Sep '08) Feb '13 Gman 26
News Richard Petty: Still King of NASCAR at 75 | Photos (Jul '12) Jul '12 Sorry Charlie 17
News Richard Petty tabs Almirola to drive famed No. 43 (Jan '12) Jan '12 Grogan 4
News Bodine outsmarts Busch for Trucks race victory (Sep '10) Sep '10 Carl 1
News Jimmie Johnson ready to rush home if baby's on way (Jun '10) Jun '10 alpinedigital 3
News FIFTH GEAR: Last place warrants NASCAR inspection (Mar '10) Mar '10 Brent Sexton 2
More from around the web