Over-40 drivers: Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, other veterans face critical year

Jan 14, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Sporting News

This is a big year for NASCAR's Sprint Cup stars as they adjust to a new car and try to sustain the momentum from an intriguing 2012 season.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of58
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
manic 2

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 18, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

I do not believe a driver is washed up because they turned 40 .BS
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 19, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I would agree, but have to add that possibly, as with any other position or job, by age 40 they may have seen their careers peak.

Another factor that could affect their intensity is that JG, GB, and MK have very young children.

Unfortunately for him Jeff Burton is not one of RCR's grandsons and I believe his days are numbered w/o a doubt, regardless of performance this year. I don't know how long GB and MK contracts are for, but I think probably JG, and most definitely TS, are in the position to hang up their helmet whenever they want to.
manic2

Berlin, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 19, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

CatRod53 wrote:
I would agree, but have to add that possibly, as with any other position or job, by age 40 they may have seen their careers peak.
Another factor that could affect their intensity is that JG, GB, and MK have very young children.
Unfortunately for him Jeff Burton is not one of RCR's grandsons and I believe his days are numbered w/o a doubt, regardless of performance this year. I don't know how long GB and MK contracts are for, but I think probably JG, and most definitely TS, are in the position to hang up their helmet whenever they want to.
Why do people get bent out of shape about RCR giving his grandchildren a ride?? What has happened to family values? If you were in a posistion to bring you're.family into your business you would turn them away?
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

I don't see what that has to do with the subject, but since you asked ....

I would question that the patriarch of the Childress family is instilling the same values taught in mine. I was raised with, and hope to pass on someday, character building that comes with believing in yourself and hard, honest work to achieve your goals. No way would I trade that for the silver spoons Austin and Ty were born with.

I'm no better, smarter or luckier than any other soldier, and I don't deserve special treatment.
But I'm sure my father's rank could easily arrange to have my service in the military be a lot smoother and safer than it is. And what would that teach me?

Those boys might have some natural talent that could make them championship contenders some day - but we'll never know for sure if Grandpa keeps fighting their fights and using his influence to get them chances they didn't earn.
48 SUCKS

Falls Church, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

I actually think MY aggressive driving improves every single year still no matter how old I get and I am much older than 40....
and as for Richard Childress giving his grandsons their rides... good for him.... Racing is a family sport and it takes families dedication to endure it all and it is AWESOME that his kids have more talent than say Kyle PETTY!!!! Or Steven Wallace...or even bros of drivers Kenny and Mike and Mikey!!!!!!!!
it is not cheap to own race teams and it is awesome that his grandchildren get to drive his cars rather than him taking some other people's kid and ruining their lives like Joe Gibbs did to JOEY...
I am SURE Tony wishes his dad at least owned a Dairy Queen to be able to sponsor his car.. he never would have had to come to NASCAR if he had the sponsorship he needed in openwheel...
but especially... in case people are unaware... a family business is indeed something to be kept in the family and for the Childress grandkids to be talented enough to DRIVE for him,,, that is truly AWESOME and in fact a business man's DREAM COME TRUE
manic 2

Berlin, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

CatRod53 wrote:
I don't see what that has to do with the subject, but since you asked ....
I would question that the patriarch of the Childress family is instilling the same values taught in mine. I was raised with, and hope to pass on someday, character building that comes with believing in yourself and hard, honest work to achieve your goals. No way would I trade that for the silver spoons Austin and Ty were born with.
I'm no better, smarter or luckier than any other soldier, and I don't deserve special treatment.
But I'm sure my father's rank could easily arrange to have my service in the military be a lot smoother and safer than it is. And what would that teach me?
Those boys might have some natural talent that could make them championship contenders some day - but we'll never know for sure if Grandpa keeps fighting their fights and using his influence to get them chances they didn't earn.
What special treatments has RCR given these boys . He has fought for all his drivers going all the way back to Dale Sr.Lets not forget RCR bitch slapped Kyle Busch when Kyle & Harvick battled.I do not see where they R getting ant special treatment.
48 SUCKS

Falls Church, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

CatRod53 wrote:
I would agree, but have to add that possibly, as with any other position or job, by age 40 they may have seen their careers peak.
Another factor that could affect their intensity is that JG, GB, and MK have very young children.
Unfortunately for him Jeff Burton is not one of RCR's grandsons and I believe his days are numbered w/o a doubt, regardless of performance this year. I don't know how long GB and MK contracts are for, but I think probably JG, and most definitely TS, are in the position to hang up their helmet whenever they want to.
Jeff Burton.... while a really nice guy,,, had the backing he needed if he wanted to start his own team with his brother... but why didn't they???? why???? They OWNED South Boston VA......
as for Tony, I honestly hope he DOES quit driving stock cars in the BS crap of NASCAR and just enjoys himself on dirt... Jeffro Gordo on the other hand was the first cheater for Ricky poo Hendrick... all his wins were from phantom debris cautions and many should have been taken away from what Ray Evernham did to his car throughout the race to make it illegal post race.. that is FACT..
NASCAR fans gotta quit licking the boots of NASCAR.. it is embarrassing... the so called sport makes a JOKE of their own fans..
manic 2

Berlin, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

48 SUCKS wrote:
<quoted text>Jeff Burton.... while a really nice guy,,, had the backing he needed if he wanted to start his own team with his brother... but why didn't they???? why???? They OWNED South Boston VA......
as for Tony, I honestly hope he DOES quit driving stock cars in the BS crap of NASCAR and just enjoys himself on dirt... Jeffro Gordo on the other hand was the first cheater for Ricky poo Hendrick... all his wins were from phantom debris cautions and many should have been taken away from what Ray Evernham did to his car throughout the race to make it illegal post race.. that is FACT..
NASCAR fans gotta quit licking the boots of NASCAR.. it is embarrassing... the so called sport makes a JOKE of their own fans..
{{{HYPOCRITE}}} If you hate NASCAR why R you on here???? Lady you R nothing but a stupid CyoUNextTuesday.
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

manic 2 wrote:
<quoted text>What special treatments has RCR given these boys . He has fought for all his drivers going all the way back to Dale Sr.Lets not forget RCR bitch slapped Kyle Busch when Kyle & Harvick battled.I do not see where they R getting ant special treatment.
http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2011/6/6/22094...

I recall this incident, which I believe involved Austin.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news...

This is the one I remember with KB and KH, but did Childress get involved with this or was there another incident?
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 20, 2013
 
48 SUCKS wrote:
<quoted text>Jeff Burton.... while a really nice guy,,, had the backing he needed if he wanted to start his own team with his brother... but why didn't they???? why???? They OWNED South Boston VA......
as for Tony, I honestly hope he DOES quit driving stock cars in the BS crap of NASCAR and just enjoys himself on dirt... Jeffro Gordo on the other hand was the first cheater for Ricky poo Hendrick... all his wins were from phantom debris cautions and many should have been taken away from what Ray Evernham did to his car throughout the race to make it illegal post race.. that is FACT..
NASCAR fans gotta quit licking the boots of NASCAR.. it is embarrassing... the so called sport makes a JOKE of their own fans..
When did Jeff Burton and his brother ever show an interest in being Nascar owners? I think the most outstanding accomplishment either had is Ward's Daytona 500 win. Nice guys yes, but not really outstanding Nascar careers.

I don't think your wish for Tony is going to come true anytime soon. He'll stop driving when he's not having fun anymore, and even as lousy as 2012 was for the 14 team, he's still coming back.

I have no respect for JG or Ray Evernham and do not doubt your comments about that.

Nascar isn't pulling the wool over anybody's eyes. The drivers, owners, media, sponsors,and fans all see the inconsistencies, but as long as Brian France, Mike Helton and Robin Pemberton are running the show things are not likely to get much better.
manic 2

Berlin, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

CatRod53 wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2011/6/6/22094...
I recall this incident, which I believe involved Austin.
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news...
This is the one I remember with KB and KH, but did Childress get involved with this or was there another incident?
?????????? Both postings are about RC smacking KYLE in the mug. Where is there anything about Austin. Did I miss something. J/A
48 SUCKS

Falls Church, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 21, 2013
 
CatRod53 wrote:
<quoted text>
When did Jeff Burton and his brother ever show an interest in being Nascar owners? I think the most outstanding accomplishment either had is Ward's Daytona 500 win. Nice guys yes, but not really outstanding Nascar careers.
I don't think your wish for Tony is going to come true anytime soon. He'll stop driving when he's not having fun anymore, and even as lousy as 2012 was for the 14 team, he's still coming back.
I have no respect for JG or Ray Evernham and do not doubt your comments about that.
Nascar isn't pulling the wool over anybody's eyes. The drivers, owners, media, sponsors,and fans all see the inconsistencies, but as long as Brian France, Mike Helton and Robin Pemberton are running the show things are not likely to get much better.
since we have now come to expect NASCAR meddling to give the 48 team numerous wins a season,, we do not appreiate when the wins are earned and are spread out amongst many teams as it always should have been in a legitimate racing sport where the teams are all established and professional... Last season was the BEST season for NASCAR since the COT took racing out of the sport, and I include the year Tony won the championship because as you know many of his wins that year were by fuel strategy... IF racing is back ON THE TRACK... NASCAR will benefit.. now we just gotta quit making these guys be Ms manners and let them RACE... Appreciate racing TALENT and GUTTS more than if they don't cuss when they get out of an overheated race car where they woulda been wrecked had the guy they just passed for the win been Jeffro Gordo.
48 SUCKS

Falls Church, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

the BIGGEST mistake NASCAR made in its history was to make the hypocrit DW the authority on proper behavior for the participants both on and off the track... Anyone who fell for that one, was not only a fan of Jeffro Gorodo, who never had ot live up to the same rules as all the rest, but they need to open their eyes and realize how many YEARS these drivers have been restrained, which gave the supposed squeaky clean CHEATERS the advantage because all the racers were told to get out of the way if he was coming behind them.... Wake Up and demand your sport, that you pay to watch or at least invest your time watching, BACK from the PC crew that truly has allowed CHEATERS to seem like they are the good guys, which is ludicrous.
THE reason why I Am NOT a NASCAR fan anymore is because of this hypocracy and the blatant LIES that pretend each and every week that the talented racer did something wrong while the cheaters are squeaky clean because that is what the media tells fans ot believe...
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 21, 2013
 
manic 2 wrote:
<quoted text>?????????? Both postings are about RC smacking KYLE in the mug. Where is there anything about Austin. Did I miss something. J/A
Hmmm, ok, so maybe trying to recall from memory instead of looking it up wasn't the best idea I had yesterday :)

From what I could find I think it was actually after an on track incident between Kyle and Joey Coulter (who drove for RC) that RC pulled his "no fool like an old fool" stunt and attacked Kyle. I guess he removed his watch and handed it to Austin which Nascar determined made the attack premeditated. Kyle was on probation and could not defend himself even if he had wanted to. So, in typical Nascar fashion, RC got the slap on the wrist fine and probation.

I still didn't see how this involved KH. Apparently, KB and KH had a run-in a couple of weeks earlier, but I think that was Cup series. And they are both hotheads and can fight their own fights.

Anyway, I guess Joey didn't have a problem with Kyle because he's left RCR to drive work for KBM this year.
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 21, 2013
 
48 SUCKS wrote:
the BIGGEST mistake NASCAR made in its history was to make the hypocrit DW the authority on proper behavior for the participants both on and off the track... Anyone who fell for that one, was not only a fan of Jeffro Gorodo, who never had ot live up to the same rules as all the rest, but they need to open their eyes and realize how many YEARS these drivers have been restrained, which gave the supposed squeaky clean CHEATERS the advantage because all the racers were told to get out of the way if he was coming behind them.... Wake Up and demand your sport, that you pay to watch or at least invest your time watching, BACK from the PC crew that truly has allowed CHEATERS to seem like they are the good guys, which is ludicrous.
THE reason why I Am NOT a NASCAR fan anymore is because of this hypocracy and the blatant LIES that pretend each and every week that the talented racer did something wrong while the cheaters are squeaky clean because that is what the media tells fans ot believe...
You sorely underestimate Nascar fans. If it makes you feel better to say you are not one anymore, that's fine. But do not insult the rest of us by thinking we believe everything we're told or read and do not have the good sense or intelligence to make up our own minds.(that will include also some of the stuff you write)
Ready for Racing

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 21, 2013
 
CatRod53 wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2011/6/6/22094...
I recall this incident, which I believe involved Austin.
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news...
This is the one I remember with KB and KH, but did Childress get involved with this or was there another incident?
No this incidnet did not involve Austin or Ty.. It involved Joey Coulter. Kyle side slammed him after the race because Joey raced him hard the final laps of the race. Funny thing is, Joey is going to be racing Kyle's 18 truck this year.
Carolyn

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

CatRod53 wrote:
<quoted text>
When did Jeff Burton and his brother ever show an interest in being Nascar owners? I think the most outstanding accomplishment either had is Ward's Daytona 500 win. Nice guys yes, but not really outstanding Nascar careers.
I don't think your wish for Tony is going to come true anytime soon. He'll stop driving when he's not having fun anymore, and even as lousy as 2012 was for the 14 team, he's still coming back.
I have no respect for JG or Ray Evernham and do not doubt your comments about that.
Nascar isn't pulling the wool over anybody's eyes. The drivers, owners, media, sponsors,and fans all see the inconsistencies, but as long as Brian France, Mike Helton and Robin Pemberton are running the show things are not likely to get much better.
It's not as though Childress has a nice driver in Kevin Harvick. Childress should punch his own driver for all the wrecks Kevin has caused. Guess Childress just picks on someone much younger than him who, if Kyle had retaliated, would have been suspended for hitting an old man. I don't remember Childress getting after Kevin the time Kevin was trying to knock Kyle off the track. Kevin is nothing but a smart-ass punk. He knows Childress will fight his battles for him.
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 21, 2013
 
Ready for Racing wrote:
<quoted text>
No this incidnet did not involve Austin or Ty.. It involved Joey Coulter. Kyle side slammed him after the race because Joey raced him hard the final laps of the race. Funny thing is, Joey is going to be racing Kyle's 18 truck this year.
I just watched the final laps of that race on You Tube and it looked like the kind of exciting, hard racing drivers and fans both enjoy. I didn't see Joey's truck afterwards, but the "encounter" with Kyle didn't look like such a slam to me. In fact, in the postrace interview Kyle tries to defuse talk of a "feud" and speaks of Joey with high regard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

I find it interesting that both Joey and Elliott Sadler, who did very well in 2012 in their respective series, are leave RCR and will have a KB connection this year.

manic 2

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jan 21, 2013
 
Carolyn wrote:
<quoted text>It's not as though Childress has a nice driver in Kevin Harvick. Childress should punch his own driver for all the wrecks Kevin has caused. Guess Childress just picks on someone much younger than him who, if Kyle had retaliated, would have been suspended for hitting an old man. I don't remember Childress getting after Kevin the time Kevin was trying to knock Kyle off the track. Kevin is nothing but a smart-ass punk. He knows Childress will fight his battles for him.
And it is reported the smart azz punk will be driving for SHR in 2014.Must be Smoke likes punk azz drivers.
manic 2

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jan 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

CatRod53 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm, ok, so maybe trying to recall from memory instead of looking it up wasn't the best idea I had yesterday :)
From what I could find I think it was actually after an on track incident between Kyle and Joey Coulter (who drove for RC) that RC pulled his "no fool like an old fool" stunt and attacked Kyle. I guess he removed his watch and handed it to Austin which Nascar determined made the attack premeditated. Kyle was on probation and could not defend himself even if he had wanted to. So, in typical Nascar fashion, RC got the slap on the wrist fine and probation.
I still didn't see how this involved KH. Apparently, KB and KH had a run-in a couple of weeks earlier, but I think that was Cup series. And they are both hotheads and can fight their own fights.
Anyway, I guess Joey didn't have a problem with Kyle because he's left RCR to drive work for KBM this year.
Again I ask what has this to do with RCR grandchildren?????

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of58
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••