Sources: Sadler still in No. 19

Sources: Sadler still in No. 19

There are 39 comments on the ESPN story from Jan 9, 2009, titled Sources: Sadler still in No. 19. In it, ESPN reports that:

Gillett Evernham Motorsports and driver Elliott Sadler have reached an agreement that enables Sadler to retain his position as driver of the team's No.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ESPN.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“<3 Little E”

Since: Dec 08

Dallas, TX

#1 Jan 9, 2009
I think GEM didn't do their homework before elected to can Elliott from the ride. Both McDonald's and Best Buy put up a big fuss at the thought of losing Elliott. They were not consulted, nor was Stanley, in advance of GEM's discussions with AJ. I think GEM is no better than GINN. I feel bad for AJ and sure hope whatever the combined GEM/Petty merger shakes out to be he gets a full time ride with the organization. They screwed up at GEM and ended up jerking around both Elliott and AJ.
Whoyakidding

Raleigh, NC

#2 Jan 9, 2009
With the sponsorship Elliott could have walked with, there would have been several teams that would have invented a team for him. It's great when the light of day finally gets to shine on things and people can be seen for what they really are. Now Elliott needs to man-up and drive the hell out of whatever they give him and Gem or RPM or whatever they are going to call themselves need to give him the best car humanly possible.

“<3 Little E”

Dallas, TX

#3 Jan 9, 2009
I agree he could have taken the sponsorship with him but he did the right thing or the easy route. I wouldn't want to be somewhere I'm not wanted but to each their own.
toofunny

Springfield, VA

#4 Jan 9, 2009
Little 88 Earnhardt wrote:
I think GEM didn't do their homework before elected to can Elliott from the ride. Both McDonald's and Best Buy put up a big fuss at the thought of losing Elliott. They were not consulted, nor was Stanley, in advance of GEM's discussions with AJ. I think GEM is no better than GINN. I feel bad for AJ and sure hope whatever the combined GEM/Petty merger shakes out to be he gets a full time ride with the organization. They screwed up at GEM and ended up jerking around both Elliott and AJ.
It sounds as if there is talk now of putting AJ in the 4th GEM car...I bet that team will get along real well! They certainly have created all sorts of tension before the season even starts!
Mikey fan

Rossford, OH

#5 Jan 9, 2009
toofunny wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds as if there is talk now of putting AJ in the 4th GEM car...I bet that team will get along real well! They certainly have created all sorts of tension before the season even starts!
geezz..and I decided NOT to major in psychology. A sports psychologist could make a good living, just working for that company!!

“Bobby Knight God #2”

Since: Nov 08

Lubbock, TX

#6 Jan 9, 2009
Dinger will be in the 4th car for at least 8 races. If he gets sponsorship he might be in the car more. Peace of advise for Dinger prove yourself everytime you go out there.

Since: May 07

Kerrville, TX

#7 Jan 9, 2009
Little 88 Earnhardt wrote:
I agree he could have taken the sponsorship with him but he did the right thing or the easy route. I wouldn't want to be somewhere I'm not wanted but to each their own.
I'm in total agreement that I wouldn't want to be anywhere not wanted. Now ES is facing the old "double edged" sword: to be or not to be. Did he make the right decision to sue? I don't know. Who would want him after he sued his former employer? I don't know. And, why would he want to stay at Petty/GEM (or whatever) after all that mess? If he stays - will they continue to give him crap equipment? Will he have to "man-up" and drive the hell out the crappy? I don't know. Jeremy hasn't done so hot since he sued.

Guess we'll find out all the answers to these questions when it all starts at Daytona. Or, maybe not. We could probably hear about an annulment.
legal eagle

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Jan 9, 2009
Sadler will continue to dig himself a bigger hole. It's horrible to watch this slow death of a career.

AOL

#9 Jan 9, 2009
legal eagle wrote:
Sadler will continue to dig himself a bigger hole. It's horrible to watch this slow death of a career.
Aren't YOU all shits and giggles tonight!!! LOL

have a good night
Voice of Reality

Colonial Heights, VA

#10 Jan 10, 2009
People, what you need to understand and face is that cubic dollars rule NASCAR and it's teams. Elliott is a sponsor's dream with the comical abilities and on air presence he has. GEM has finally come to understand that without Elliott all the #19 was was just another car with blank quaters wondering if they would be able to afford to race after the Daytona 500. The real fear and trouble in all of this is, this is just the first example of a non racing company running a race team or teams and not quite understanding all of the ins and outs of the juggling act that it takes to keep the complex group of fans, drivers, multiple sponsors and media people happy. I wonder if when the newness of owning and running (perhaps into the ground) NASCAR teams becomes old hat and too expensive to these "Johnny Come Lately" non racing people, if they will suddenly bail and leave these teams hanging without a safety net. Only time will tell, you certainly do not hear very much about "Boston Ventures" any longer.
newatthis

Middletown, NY

#11 Jan 10, 2009
Ghost Rider Lubbock wrote:
Dinger will be in the 4th car for at least 8 races. If he gets sponsorship he might be in the car more. Peace of advise for Dinger prove yourself everytime you go out there.
so should Elliott
newatthis

Middletown, NY

#12 Jan 10, 2009
theo wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm in total agreement that I wouldn't want to be anywhere not wanted. Now ES is facing the old "double edged" sword: to be or not to be. Did he make the right decision to sue? I don't know. Who would want him after he sued his former employer? I don't know. And, why would he want to stay at Petty/GEM (or whatever) after all that mess? If he stays - will they continue to give him crap equipment? Will he have to "man-up" and drive the hell out the crappy? I don't know. Jeremy hasn't done so hot since he sued.
Guess we'll find out all the answers to these questions when it all starts at Daytona. Or, maybe not. We could probably hear about an annulment.
I agree. I understand why his fans are happy he will be racing; but, is this the best path for E?

IF A is so unhappy w/ being at the track, does he think she will be any easier to deal w/ at the track?

How much additional time is he willing to put into his team? Will he go to the garage more often or only when absolutely necessary?
Mikey fan

Rossford, OH

#13 Jan 10, 2009
newatthis wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. I understand why his fans are happy he will be racing; but, is this the best path for E?
IF A is so unhappy w/ being at the track, does he think she will be any easier to deal w/ at the track?
How much additional time is he willing to put into his team? Will he go to the garage more often or only when absolutely necessary?
spending extra time in the garage may be a reprieve for Elliott--he's about to marry an attention-seeking nut-job!!(check out is the wedding off thread).

AOL

#14 Jan 10, 2009
So long as the guy is happy, why does anyone care to make a big deal out of it.

The 'attention seekers' are the ones who complain about it.

Get a life already!
newatthis

Middletown, NY

#15 Jan 10, 2009
Angel of Dreams wrote:
So long as the guy is happy, why does anyone care to make a big deal out of it.
The 'attention seekers' are the ones who complain about it.
Get a life already!
'attention seekers'?

Do you mean Amanda?

AOL

#16 Jan 10, 2009
newatthis wrote:
<quoted text>
'attention seekers'?
Do you mean Amanda?
Who is the hell is amanda? I think your off topic here bud
Les2

Cortland, OH

#17 Jan 10, 2009
Pretty sad that ES had to sue just to keep a job racing!

It's funny, he bailed on two contracts (wood brothers and yates?) but its not fair when someones kicking him out...LOL
Nascartoon

United States

#18 Jan 10, 2009
These kind of subjects always bring out the most ridiculous comments. Elliott chose to use whatever recourse he could to keep his job. Would you people against that be singing a different tune if it was your job on the line? Of course you would. If you wouldn't do whatever it took to stay at a company where you could potentially have success and risk the uncertainties of the job market (especially in this current economy) than your d.a.d. I don't care if you like or hate the guy, but don't be foolish enough to believe that he's wrong for protecting himself. I also could care less if he broke 100 contracts in the past. If those companies chose to let that happen, than why should anyone complain. They had the same rights to protect themselves as Elliott did, if they chose not to use them, than so be it. It's funny how so many believe that because someone has some fame and makes more money than they do, they should just roll over and accept anything. Screw their right to make a living where they think is best suited for them. I suppose Elliott should have just consulted all of you before he made a move, so you could steer him on the right path, with your vast knowledge and experience of the inner-workings of Nascar contracts.
newatthis

Middletown, NY

#19 Jan 10, 2009
Nascartoon wrote:
These kind of subjects always bring out the most ridiculous comments. Elliott chose to use whatever recourse he could to keep his job. Would you people against that be singing a different tune if it was your job on the line? Of course you would. If you wouldn't do whatever it took to stay at a company where you could potentially have success and risk the uncertainties of the job market (especially in this current economy) than your d.a.d. I don't care if you like or hate the guy, but don't be foolish enough to believe that he's wrong for protecting himself. I also could care less if he broke 100 contracts in the past. If those companies chose to let that happen, than why should anyone complain. They had the same rights to protect themselves as Elliott did, if they chose not to use them, than so be it. It's funny how so many believe that because someone has some fame and makes more money than they do, they should just roll over and accept anything. Screw their right to make a living where they think is best suited for them. I suppose Elliott should have just consulted all of you before he made a move, so you could steer him on the right path, with your vast knowledge and experience of the inner-workings of Nascar contracts.
Did he really want the "job" or was he hoping they would settle or he would win the lawsuit? I believe he was going for more ($) than just the buyout. I think he would have preferred the buyout plus the additional. And there is no doubt in my mind that his fiance would rather he wasn't racing.

That's the difference, I am happy my husband has a job that he enjoys and he wants to work to keep it!

“RACING RULES ”

Since: Jan 07

Longview, Tx

#20 Jan 11, 2009
Not sure if anyone has posted or seen this blog but he brings up some good points.
http://bump-drafts.com/2009/01/10/are-you-kid...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

A.J. Allmendinger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Has the Jeremy Mayfield Saga Gone on Too Long? (Jan '14) Jan '14 Whoyakidding 2
News Bobby Labonte's start streak to end at 704 (Jun '13) Oct '13 WHOYAKIDDING 11
News AJ Allmendinger wins NASCAR Nationwide race (Jun '13) Jun '13 Jusy_Sayn 4
News Favre on Allmendinger's mind in Wisconsin (Jun '13) Jun '13 Fred 3
News Suspended driver Jeremy Mayfield calls radio sh... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Voice of Reality 14
News NASCAR: Phoenix Racing wants Regan Smith, AJ Al... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Super 1
News Motorsports Commentary - The Amazingly Angry Sm... (Oct '12) Jan '13 dwarfica 5
More from around the web