Elliott Sadler Trading in His Firesuit for a Court Suit

Jan 2, 2009 | Posted by: Shut up n drive | Full story: bleacherreport.com

Great, Elliott Sadler and his attorney are gearing up for court, if things need to get that far.

Comments
61 - 69 of 69 Comments Last updated Jan 11, 2009
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
rebelle

Knoxville, TN

#61 Jan 6, 2009
This blog offers a little different perspective on the reason for all of the silence:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/blog/from_the_...

The drivers don't want to speak up because it could happen to them. The owners don't want to comment because they want to see how the contract holds up. If Elliott wins, this could change the way they hire and fire in the future. They won't be able to just drop a driver whenever they feel like it.
mo-mo

Kyle, TX

#62 Jan 6, 2009
(sorry if this is a double post)
newatthis wrote:
<quoted text>
But percentage-wise how much time is the camera showing the Best Buy car?...

He's not winning, attitude from soon to be wife, he has looked lost for awhile - would you hire him or take a chance on a younger driver? I'm not asking from a fan perspective; I'm asking from a business perspective.
From a business side, yes, I'd absolutely hire him. His wife has nothing to do with the product branding that he does for sponsors. Compared to Dale Earnhardt Jr.? No, sponsors like Best Buy didn't get as much face time as other cars. But Elliott had some great runs (Indy and Talladega spring to mind) and pulling moves like staying out under caution to get bonus points...etc. earned him a little extra exposure.
Each time a sponsor's logo is shown on t.v. or each time their product is mentioned - it translates into so much consumer value. So at Homestead all the sponsored cared about was a clear shot of the logos on his suit. They probably could care less if a monkey were wearing it, as long as it got that exposure and therefore that extra value.(Although they probably assume Elliott could sell it better than a monkey) Elliott had interviews before almost every race (on Speed...etc.) and he was also able to tie in his sponsorships into Trackside via logos on his shirt (on most shows). That adds up, and if you look at the rotation of sponsors on Elliott's plate - each individual sponsor didn't spend as much money as other sponsors that work with teams for the entire season(like Jimmie Johnson's relationship with Lowe's...etc.). Best Buy for example sponsored some races independently, but then tied in third party sponsors such as Garmin and the people who released the U2 thing. Elliott is smart when the U2 car wasn't getting exposure he took advantage of the rain delay in California and sold the U2 movie during an interview, just by mentioning and talking about it.
Elliott is a sponsor's dream, and the fact that he still pulled in some high profile sponsors speaks volumes. Reed's finishes were barely mediocre, and even though A.J. only raced in 27 races last year, and even with his decent finishes the last 5 for GEM, Elliott's average finish was still better (if only by one point).
Elliott's season was terrible - we all know this but he pulled in 2 top five's and 6 top ten's vs. AJ's 2 top 10's and zero top 5's. And we saw some of Elliott's best runs fly out the window with bad luck - via flat tires...etc that were beyond his control.
I don't doubt that George Gillett is a smart business man, he is after all a billionaire. However he buys into sports franchises and ruins what fans love about them. I know this sounds backwards - because you don't invest that much money into something without taking it as a serious business venture, but he seems to forget the loyalty and the passion of the NASCAR fans. Sponsors keep cars on the track, but consumers and fans are what keep sponsors spending, not to mention the money fans spend on merchandise and all that. Look at his problems with his Liverpool football team...etc. Soccer/Football's fan loyalty is probably the only sport that rivals NASCAR (internationally). It's like he buys these teams as a hobby, and I question the direct involvment he actually has. I'm sure he has plenty of people pulling the strings for him and he probably sits back and enjoys the show. We'll see what happens, but it'd be a conflict of interest for Elliott to get back into a GEM car. I hope he's working on securing a ride with someone else while sueing the pants of Gillett!
cak

Minneapolis, MN

#63 Jan 6, 2009
newatthis wrote:
<quoted text>
But percentage-wise how much time is the camera showing the Best Buy car? Even the races he has finished, how much did you see the B B car? Some of the races I saw, the most time you saw anything related to B B was at pre-race. How many times did you see a camera on his pit or s/o like JJ or Jeff Burton (wives)?
I only used the pre-race example as 1 example. cak, you've read the same posting I have from sponsors (spouses), photographers & they are the only ones who posted.
He's not winning, attitude from soon to be wife, he has looked lost for awhile - would you hire him or take a chance on a younger driver? I'm not asking from a fan perspective; I'm asking from a business perspective.
I totally get what you, and others, have said. I guess I just don't understand this. It seems so simple to me, you have a contract, if one side wants out they BOTH must come to a mutual agreement. If it doesn't work that way then why even have a contract? I'm really pissed,thats all I can say. I'm looking for some explanation that makes sense. I understand he maybe isn't the best choice from some business perspectives...HOWEVER, I don't see how Almondlicker, or whatever his name is, could possibly bring in more sponsor money than Elliott and from a business perspective I would think thats a pretty big deal. They don't even have full sponsorship for the season for Sorenson and then they do this. It just doesn't make sense and it makes me feel like something hasn't been said and there are more surprises down the road. Maybe I'm cynical but something ain't right here.

“Kyle get it together! ”

Since: Oct 08

Carlsville

#64 Jan 6, 2009
I believe it is allmendinger but I like Almondlicker better
newatthis

Port Jervis, NY

#65 Jan 6, 2009
newatthis

Port Jervis, NY

#66 Jan 6, 2009
cak wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally get what you, and others, have said. I guess I just don't understand this. It seems so simple to me, you have a contract, if one side wants out they BOTH must come to a mutual agreement. If it doesn't work that way then why even have a contract? I'm really pissed,thats all I can say. I'm looking for some explanation that makes sense. I understand he maybe isn't the best choice from some business perspectives...HOWEVER, I don't see how Almondlicker, or whatever his name is, could possibly bring in more sponsor money than Elliott and from a business perspective I would think thats a pretty big deal. They don't even have full sponsorship for the season for Sorenson and then they do this. It just doesn't make sense and it makes me feel like something hasn't been said and there are more surprises down the road. Maybe I'm cynical but something ain't right here.
I understand E fans are upset. But what if E was making demands they could meet or refusing to do things they were asking, whether it was GEM or sponsors.
newatthis

Port Jervis, NY

#67 Jan 6, 2009
newatthis wrote:
SORRY! If you look at the last column there is a clipped labeled Big 3: Sadler sidelined

you just have to click on that clip
Chris

Houston, TX

#69 Jan 11, 2009
Whoyakidding wrote:
Let's face the facts. Elliott hasn't put up any numbers in the last four years worth bragging about. Most athletic contracts have some type of performance clause which allow the contractor to buy out the contract at less than the value of the remainder of the contract. This is probably the reason Elliott is threatening to sue, in an attempt to keep from losing the difference between the guaranteed amount and whatever the non-performance figure is. As for Elliott breaking contracts in the past, that has absolutely nothing to do with the present situation. I don't see where he has anything to lose. There's no available ride out there worth having so why not go for what he can.
Elliott is a joke
mo-mo

Kyle, TX

#70 Jan 11, 2009
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>Elliott is a joke
..."...not funny haha...funny queer"!

(Sling Blade anyone?!...)

Just kidding Elliott!***WINK***

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

A.J. Allmendinger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Has the Jeremy Mayfield Saga Gone on Too Long? (Jan '14) Jan '14 Whoyakidding 2
Bobby Labonte's start streak to end at 704 (Jun '13) Oct '13 WHOYAKIDDING 11
AJ Allmendinger wins NASCAR Nationwide race (Jun '13) Jun '13 Jusy_Sayn 4
Favre on Allmendinger's mind in Wisconsin (Jun '13) Jun '13 Fred 3
Suspended driver Jeremy Mayfield calls radio sh... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Voice of Reality 14
NASCAR: Phoenix Racing wants Regan Smith, AJ Al... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Super 1
Motorsports Commentary - The Amazingly Angry Sm... (Oct '12) Jan '13 dwarfica 5
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

A.J. Allmendinger People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••