NASCAR adds Gordon to Chase field amid controversy

Sep 13, 2013 Full story: The Miami Herald 14

NASCAR added Jeff Gordon to the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship field Friday, a stunning and unprecedented step in the fallout from at least two attempts to manipulate the results at the season-ending race at Richmond last weekend.

Full Story
old outlaw

Escondido, CA

#1 Sep 13, 2013
typical cop out, can Logano and Penske are they above the rules! Nascar get some Bal^s
10Terrian

Olive Branch, MS

#2 Sep 14, 2013
This whole made up penalty mess is a bunch of crap. A$$CAR has turned into the biggest joke of all the sports. The idiots are loose and in charge of changing the rules daily to favor the teams with the most money.
WHOYAKIDDING

Raleigh, NC

#4 Sep 14, 2013
Finally, Brian France gets something right.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#5 Sep 14, 2013
WHOYAKIDDING wrote:
Finally, Brian France gets something right.
Agreed.
Kelly

Rochester, NY

#6 Sep 14, 2013
Some racers got into the chase under team controversy. I wonder how much Logano or Treax knew about what was going down during the race. Bowyer could have/should have told his team NO I will not deliberately spin. For his going along with the farce, he should be out. Treax probably should be in. Gordon raced his way in before the controversial spin so I agree they needed to get him in. Penalties seemed appropriate but Nascar Officials blew it when the penalty to Bowyer did NOT exempt him from the chase, didn't even change his starting position. GET RID OF THE CHASE, or we will probably continue to see this debacle in the future.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#7 Sep 14, 2013
Kelly wrote:
Some racers got into the chase under team controversy. I wonder how much Logano or Treax knew about what was going down during the race. Bowyer could have/should have told his team NO I will not deliberately spin. For his going along with the farce, he should be out. Treax probably should be in. Gordon raced his way in before the controversial spin so I agree they needed to get him in. Penalties seemed appropriate but Nascar Officials blew it when the penalty to Bowyer did NOT exempt him from the chase, didn't even change his starting position. GET RID OF THE CHASE, or we will probably continue to see this debacle in the future.
I dont like the chase either, but I'd still prefer not to see the title wrapped up so early in the year. Remember the year kenseth won? He clinched it very early and the last few races were pointless.
old school

Spring Lake, NC

#8 Sep 14, 2013
old outlaw wrote:
typical cop out, can Logano and Penske are they above the rules! Nascar get some Bal^s
No more than when crews from the 48 and 88 help work on the 24 if he has been in a bumpup
10Terrian

Olive Branch, MS

#9 Sep 15, 2013
I hope Gordon wrecks in every chase race and Clint Bowyer wins it all.
goob

Strasburg, CO

#10 Sep 15, 2013
10Terrian how stupid can one person be. What did Gordon do wrong? Everyone KNOWS what bowyer did wrong. Oh I see where your from now that explains it.
Angie b

Hazard, KY

#11 Sep 15, 2013
Uuhh....what did Gordon do? Just like he always does,goes whining and crying to NASCAR.and guess what?.........he got exactly what he wanted.
I'd be ashamed if I was Gordon or Newman.they never earned a spot in the chase.
They had it given to them.nascar has to be fixed.
They said they couldn't prove that bowyer spun his car out on purpose.yet,they let Newman back in the chase.then they turned around and added a 13th spot for Gordon.what the hell!!!!!!!!!!
Martin truix is the one who got hurt in all this mess.he's drove hard and worked his tail to be able to get in the chase.what did it get him? Shoved aside,so Gordon and Newman could be gotten in.
I used to love NASCAR.never missed a race.but,I'm done.i never watched the Chicago race and I'm not watching anymore.nascar has turned this sport into a cry baby arena.all they ever build nowadays is those cookie cutter tracks that just go round and round.oh joy,what fun!!!if I want to watch action like that I'll go watch my grandson play with his little race track.
Thanks NASCAR..........for ruining this sport.
goob

Strasburg, CO

#12 Sep 15, 2013
Gordon and Newman didnt go whining. They just found out Saturday that they were in. Yes I agree Truex got screwed but it was penalizing the whole Waltrip Racing Team. To be honest I agree Martin SHOULD be in the chase but Waltrip Management is to blame. Not Truex not Gordon not Newman. Waltrip racing had ne car in but got gready and they are lucky Bowyer didnt get suspended for trying to fix the out come of 26 weeks of racing.Did you bother to listen to his spotter saying go ahead scratch your arm now then he spun on purpose. Lagano is the one that shouldnt be in the chase.If Bowyer dont spin Lagano dont make it because he was 2 laps down and no way to get the 2 pts. he needed to tie Gordon. I thought Clint had more integrity than that. So if Lagano is in how could Gordon and Newman not be. I understand your pissed but I think your pissed at the wrong people.
Angie b

Hazard, KY

#13 Sep 15, 2013
It doesn't matter anyway. Martin truix got screwed and that is sad.because if anyone deserves to be in the chase,it was him.nascar should have thrown bowyer out,he was the one who started every bit of the mess.yet he's still in the chase.i really don't think truix had any idea how things would play out.he was just racing.
And they should never have made a 13th spot for anyone.gordon does not deserve to be in the chase.he never raced to be in it.it just got handed to him.
Way to go NASCAR!!!!!
Nobody can tell me that no other team has never done the same thing as bowyer did
(Or was accused of).because they have.every single team out there has cheated in some way.ok,so punish bowyer,not his teammate,who was only racing to get in the chase.nascar even said they couldn't prove that bowyer spun out on purpose.
If you can't prove it,then why do anything about it.innocent till proven guilty .........
You can say whatever you want to on the radio,but the words " go ahead and spin out now Clint" wasn't what anybody heard.
But..... I'll stop complaining.
I am just so disappointed in nascar.
Bubba

Mexico, NY

#14 Sep 16, 2013
goob wrote:
Gordon and Newman didnt go whining. They just found out Saturday that they were in. Yes I agree Truex got screwed but it was penalizing the whole Waltrip Racing Team. To be honest I agree Martin SHOULD be in the chase but Waltrip Management is to blame. Not Truex not Gordon not Newman. Waltrip racing had ne car in but got gready and they are lucky Bowyer didnt get suspended for trying to fix the out come of 26 weeks of racing.Did you bother to listen to his spotter saying go ahead scratch your arm now then he spun on purpose. Lagano is the one that shouldnt be in the chase.If Bowyer dont spin Lagano dont make it because he was 2 laps down and no way to get the 2 pts. he needed to tie Gordon. I thought Clint had more integrity than that. So if Lagano is in how could Gordon and Newman not be. I understand your pissed but I think your pissed at the wrong people.
Logano is in because he had a win , and nascar is predicting the future , a lot changes in the last few laps at almost every race , if they wanted to be fair they should have locked the field as it was at the time of the spin ... and as for the 38 team talking about helping the 22 , happens all the time with every team , and didn't nascar change the outcome of the race yesterday with the competition caution , it rains overnite so lets have a caution at lap 30 so Danica can get her lap back and to bunch the field up ...
WHOYAKIDDING

Raleigh, NC

#15 Sep 16, 2013
I sure will be happy when one of the supposed know-it-all pros on here starts the perfect racing franchise. You know, where everything is perfect and nothing wrong or unexpected ever happens. A franchise where every corperate decision is correct, every fan has it exactly his way and is broadcast exactly how each person in the tv audience wants it. what a perfect world it will be then with someone so much smarter and harder working running the show. I just can't wait. SO, whose going to get the ball rolling towards the perfect Sunday afternoon race. Come on, I can't hearrrrr you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NASCAR Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fantasy NASCAR at Richmond 2014: Picks, Top Dri... 1 hr john 1
Danica's Consistency Paves Way to Another Top 3... 16 hr goob 2
this chase format 16 hr goob 1
Mindy (Oct '07) 17 hr Vincent Kennedy M... 90,979
Dale Earnhardt Limited Edition Snap On tool box... (Mar '10) Sep 11 Joey Ronk 23
Tony Stewart on Atlanta entry list Sep 6 WWE 74
Richmond Finale Could Be a Crazy One Sep 5 flatt 3
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

NASCAR People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••