Was McDowell's crash the worst ever?

Apr 10, 2008 Full story: Alabama Live 78

Posted by Doug Demmons -- The Birmingham News April 07, 2008 12:19 PM More than one commentator has described the jaw-dropping crash of rookie Michael McDowell during qualifying at Texas on Friday as the worst ... via Alabama Live

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
nnyankee

AOL

#1 Apr 12, 2008
not even close to being worst crash

Since: Feb 08

Fairfax, VA

#2 Apr 12, 2008
shake it off sissy

Since: Mar 08

Sterling, IL

#3 Apr 12, 2008
Nope look at the second choice Mikeys wreck now that was bad!
Then look at the last one Allisons! Alot of people could have been killed that has to be the worst!

Since: Nov 07

United States

#4 Apr 12, 2008
Yeah, a couple have been worse. Mike's at Bristol. Todd Bodine in the truck series that took out a long piece of fence row and ripped his truck apart. It was Todd wasn't it?

Since: Aug 07

Sterling, IL

#5 Apr 12, 2008
lynnswboro wrote:
Yeah, a couple have been worse. Mike's at Bristol. Todd Bodine in the truck series that took out a long piece of fence row and ripped his truck apart. It was Todd wasn't it?
Yeah that's the one I meant I said Allisons 12 fans were hurt in the stands too. That would be scary!!

United States

#6 Apr 13, 2008
Lets go racing wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah that's the one I meant I said Allisons 12 fans were hurt in the stands too. That would be scary!!
I remenber seeing clips of it, and I knew people in the stands had to have been hurt but I didn't know how many. I didn't know that was the one you were refering to.
Dillinger

AOL

#7 Apr 13, 2008
How about the worst crash for the #00? Reuti's was the hardest hitting crash, but he did not roll over and over.

Sterling, IL

#8 Apr 13, 2008
lynnswboro wrote:
<quoted text>I remenber seeing clips of it, and I knew people in the stands had to have been hurt but I didn't know how many. I didn't know that was the one you were refering to.
I know I was just correcting myself :) I said the wrong one. It did look bad! I guess the good thing is it'd happen so fast you'd not know what was coming!

United States

#9 Apr 13, 2008
Lets go racing wrote:
<quoted text>I know I was just correcting myself :) I said the wrong one. It did look bad! I guess the good thing is it'd happen so fast you'd not know what was coming!
I guess the worst one's for a person is the one's that involve the drivers you know. I had nightmare's for months after Mike's Bristol wreck. I hadn't had one in years, but when Mike's car caught on fire last year I had one.
Weird Huh!

Sterling, IL

#10 Apr 13, 2008
lynnswboro wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess the worst one's for a person is the one's that involve the drivers you know. I had nightmare's for months after Mike's Bristol wreck. I hadn't had one in years, but when Mike's car caught on fire last year I had one.
Weird Huh!
Yeah, did you see DW when he said he didn't know if Mikey was ok? He acted like he was shook up bad!!
zach 4 88

Lewisville, TX

#11 Apr 13, 2008
Thank NASCAR for MM walking away from that crash. The safety changes are a very welcome addition to the sport. The drama of the crash was beyond scarey. Long live the COT. The car does need some help in other ways.
Clayton

Winnipeg, Canada

#12 Apr 14, 2008
zach 4 88 wrote:
Thank NASCAR for MM walking away from that crash. The safety changes are a very welcome addition to the sport. The drama of the crash was beyond scarey. Long live the COT. The car does need some help in other ways.
True and they will kick the bugs out.

Since: Apr 07

Glendale, AZ

#13 Apr 14, 2008
Nah, worst ever was Mikey's Bristol crash definitely. Even the drivers will tell you that. Thing is, with all the safety innovations these days, I knew McD was ok, and if anything might be a little shook up. When Michael had his wreck, they didn't have the safety innovations they do today. That's why everyone thought he was dead for sure........ including his brother DW.

Since: Apr 07

United States

#14 Apr 14, 2008
Michael Waltip at Bristol or Mike Harmon's crash at Bristol were worse.

Easily.

There was a two truck crash at Texas a few years ago with David Reutimann and Bill Lester that was just as bad as McDowell's.

Lester still doesn't remember it.

The thing about Waltrip and Harmon's crashes that is amazing is that both were before head restraints were manditory.

The fact that we do not have more deaths due to Basilar Skull Fractures over the last twenty years is amazing. Give credit to the SAFER barrier and the construction of the new car for saving McDowell's life, but without the HANS device, he would not have survived.

The HANS is the single greatest addition to driver safety since the seatbelt.
Dillinger

Miami, FL

#15 Apr 14, 2008
Renee29404 wrote:
Nah, worst ever was Mikey's Bristol crash definitely. Even the drivers will tell you that. Thing is, with all the safety innovations these days, I knew McD was ok, and if anything might be a little shook up. When Michael had his wreck, they didn't have the safety innovations they do today. That's why everyone thought he was dead for sure........ including his brother DW.
I will never watch that video again!!!!

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#16 Apr 14, 2008
Um... Kind of a stupid topic. There were many crashes where people didn't walk away. a wreck with any loss of life (drivers, fans, pit crew) is obviously going to be the worst.

Then, there were many wrecks where the driver lived, but they were unable to race again.(jerry nadue sp?)

Then after that there are wrecks where the driver comes back to racing, but they are not the same driver and there careers are essentially ruined.

Then we have the wrecks where the driver walks away unscathed, rolls out the backup and keeps on going.....

#00 wreck is far far far down on the list of "worst crashes"
Clayton

Winnipeg, Canada

#17 Apr 14, 2008
menards wrote:
Um... Kind of a stupid topic. There were many crashes where people didn't walk away. a wreck with any loss of life (drivers, fans, pit crew) is obviously going to be the worst.
Then, there were many wrecks where the driver lived, but they were unable to race again.(jerry nadue sp?)
Then after that there are wrecks where the driver comes back to racing, but they are not the same driver and there careers are essentially ruined.
Then we have the wrecks where the driver walks away unscathed, rolls out the backup and keeps on going.....
Way worse wreck than killed dale sr foresure.Shows how much safer cars have gotten.

United States

#18 Apr 14, 2008
zach 4 88 wrote:
Absolutely, and that's why Mike has always praised the COT. He knows it is a safer car ,especially for the taller guy's.
Question or Opinion?
Do you think more space for the drivers is safer or could lead to mor injury in a wreck like McDowel's?
He's a tall guy too!

Sterling, IL

#19 Apr 14, 2008
menards wrote:
I think they were just referencing crashes where people lived. I've seen of those on you tube the fatality crashes some look like they should get out any moment so it's strange these rough ones they get out unscathed.
I have been lucky so far to not be at a track where a fatality has a cured. One year at Indy a tire killed a fan but we didn't know about it until the next day.
Dillinger

Miami, FL

#20 Apr 14, 2008
Clayton wrote:
<quoted text>Way worse wreck than killed dale sr foresure.Shows how much safer cars have gotten.
Excellent point, Clayton!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NASCAR Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Toyota in NASCAR 12 hr Hummm 2
This race fan is 'bummed' (Feb '12) Thu Sgt Prepper 91
Daytona Beach: Florida's Rape Capital (Mar '10) Dec 23 Joe 42
Merry Christmas Dec 22 Hilton Head 5
NASCAR Sprint Cup's Ricky Stenhouse Enters Batt... Dec 18 nelson 1
where's lil Jimmy Spencer? Dec 17 Vicious Vic 1
CMS Removing seats Dec 15 Uncle John Duckett 5
More from around the web