How do you become a NASCAR driver?

Posted in the NASCAR Forum

First Prev
of 43
Next Last
Blazer

Vineland, NJ

#1 Mar 4, 2006
I've recently just started to become absolutely hooked on Nascar. I'm sure it sounds crazy and just a pipe dream, but I really want to know how to become a Nascar driver. Like I said, I just recently got into Nascar and don't know hardly anything about it. But I do know that I love it! I'm currently 21 years old, by the way. How would I start racing? Do you have to go to a certain school or something? How did all the top stars of Nascar get their big break? Where did THEY start?

I'm young yet and I want to chase my dream.
Justin Strong

Phoenix, AZ

#2 Mar 10, 2006
Your to old! All big name drivers started at a very young age. Acctually before the legal driving age. Most started at the age of 4 to 12. They started off in national modified go-kart races and worked their way up to bigger cars as they got older. Then they caught the attention of some big shot car owner or most commonly had a father that raced his whole life. Thats how most profetional drivers got into the business. Today there is a school you can go to, but it is not cheap. I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but you can find it on Yahoo. If your a fast learner and driving comes natural to you, I wouldn't think your age would matter to become a pro. If that truly is your dream, then give it a shot. I don't think there is a age limit for the school, but to hang with the big boys you got to have experiance. Thats why I say your to old.
Knock Knock

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Mar 14, 2006
Blazer wrote:
I've recently just started to become absolutely hooked on Nascar. I'm sure it sounds crazy and just a pipe dream, but I really want to know how to become a Nascar driver. Like I said, I just recently got into Nascar and don't know hardly anything about it. But I do know that I love it! I'm currently 21 years old, by the way. How would I start racing? Do you have to go to a certain school or something? How did all the top stars of Nascar get their big break? Where did THEY start?

Dude there is NO way you'll ever make it unless you knew an owner. And then the only way would be if you were a "Natural" because of the costs of these cars!!
So go back to sleep and dream because that's all it is now. Alot of Race tracks have racing schools and for a few hundred dollars can take a class and then go out with a driver in a "retired" car. These are just as fast as cars on the circuit, they are just not being used, thus the name retired. This will be the closest you will ever come to being inside a car and on a track.
Steve a Nascar Fan

Kimberly, WI

#4 Mar 16, 2006
Crazy Fuk of a Driver wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude there is NO way you'll ever make it unless you knew an owner. And then the only way would be if you were a "Natural" because of the costs of these cars!!
So go back to sleep and dream because that's all it is now. Alot of Race tracks have racing schools and for a few hundred dollars can take a class and then go out with a driver in a "retired" car. These are just as fast as cars on the circuit, they are just not being used, thus the name retired. This will be the closest you will ever come to being inside a car and on a track.
Don't listen to him. See if you can get on next years roush driver X. If your any good you will have to prove it fast. Also there are profesional driving schools. There is one in Vegas. It's not just one or 2 classes and you do go out and run full speeds, but it is exspensive.
Knock Knock

Los Angeles, CA

#5 Mar 16, 2006
Steve a Nascar Fan wrote:
<quoted text>

Don't listen to him. See if you can get on next years roush driver X. If your any good you will have to prove it fast. Also there are profesional driving schools. There is one in Vegas. It's not just one or 2 classes and you do go out and run full speeds, but it is exspensive.
Dude wake up!!! How many guys do you know that start professional racing at 21? Like it was said earlier by another guy, most of these guys are brought up by their families or friends. To start at 21 you would have to be VERY GOOD!! To just be getting into it is like saying you could make a professional team in any sports without any training or knowledge.
Yes he might make midget racing, and at a far chance the Truck series, but NASCAR, WAKE UP!!!
Scary Tim

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Mar 17, 2006
Blazer wrote:

To the rest of theses fools they think your idea is far fetched but alot of drivers didn't get there brake to they were more mature than probably all the fools that replied except for the one that helped. Yes your time is running out as we speak but you still have time find one of the schools attended it and maybe you'll catch someones eye and get a shot. Doubtful about nascar to begin with but everyone starts somewhere whether its sprints or midgets. Then you'll at least have the oppertunity's to move up. Don't give up your dream your never to old to learn. Especially since your only 21. I am to and I've learned more things in my past three years than I did the rest of my life. Just remeber if you don't try you'll never know for sure.
Knock Knock

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Mar 17, 2006
Scary Tim wrote:
<quoted text>

To the rest of theses fools they think your idea is far fetched but alot of drivers didn't get there brake to they were more mature than probably all the fools that replied except for the one that helped. Yes your time is running out as we speak but you still have time find one of the schools attended it and maybe you'll catch someones eye and get a shot. Doubtful about nascar to begin with but everyone starts somewhere whether its sprints or midgets. Then you'll at least have the oppertunity's to move up. Don't give up your dream your never to old to learn. Especially since your only 21. I am to and I've learned more things in my past three years than I did the rest of my life. Just remeber if you don't try you'll never know for sure.
That is all said well. But remember, we're talking about driving a car at over 125 up to 200!! How many times have you driven your car at those speeds and was able to drive like normal. There aren't too many "naturals" at any sport on any level. I just told it as it is. I can honestly said "in my opinion" that his chance to ever "make it to Nascar" is a million to one chance!!! Yeah go for the dream, but in all reality, you probably won't get any farther than midget or sprint. I was being nice in saying you might make the truck series, but that is even more than likely out of reach!!
All I'm saying on this, Good Luck. But remember it's all a chance, a one in a million chance.
Lets Go Number 48

Canterbury, NH

#8 Mar 21, 2006
Dear Crazy Fuk of a Driver why are you being mean to Blazer man are you trying to Crush his dreams man let him find a way to become a Nascar driver. You dont know if he will meet a owner he could just be walking down the street and see owner and ask him if he can be on his team and if he say yes guess what then he gets to become a nascar driver.
Mad Drive XXX

Oklahoma City, OK

#10 Mar 21, 2006
I been hooked on Nascar since I was 8 years old. I would like to drive beside a po one day on the trick of Daytona. But I know that I have a long way to go but I really think I can really get there.
Knock Knock

Los Angeles, CA

#11 Mar 21, 2006
Lets Go Number 48 wrote:
Dear Crazy Fuk of a Driver why are you being mean to Blazer man are you trying to Crush his dreams man let him find a way to become a Nascar driver. You dont know if he will meet a owner he could just be walking down the street and see owner and ask him if he can be on his team and if he say yes guess what then he gets to become a nascar driver.
Dude, I'm just being real!! What are the chances of meeting a owner. And then to have hime just happen to say "oh, do you want to drive one of my cars"? What a joke. For one the "driver" would have to have the sponsors ok (for being a no body), two, more drivers than not haven't been able to get to Nascar, and three, almost all drivers on the circuit are related to other drivers, owners, etc.
It's not just going and driving. Anyone who has driven a car over 150 would agree with this. With the way the car shimmies side to side, the draft wind from other cars, and knowing one little twitch could send you into a wall.
Yes, anyone with luck could make it, but this guy is way to old for Nascar, especially without previous driving experience!! So I'm not smashing his dream, He ASKED if it was possible. I'm sorry if I have the balls to tell him the truth and not encourage him with all postives and unrealistic advice. I said it was doubtful he could make it and that's only the truth. Don't be mad because I didn't agree with your post, I tell it plain and simple.
But to make you happy, Yeah dude go for it, I think you could probably drive the #8 if you meet Jr and he likes you.
How stupid does that sound or look?
Bobbi

Coward, SC

#12 Mar 27, 2006
You people are all much too negative. Judging by the way you all talk, not one of you has probably even inquired on how to get into Nascar. You drive, you practice, you drive some more. It pays to know people, but it pays a lot more to work hard and be the best you can. If the kid knows how to drive thats all he needs. No sport is learned, it's talent. It's just a race to see who has more of it. This kid could go rookie next year for all you fucks know. If any of you have studied the backgrounds of most Nascar drivers, not Jeff Gordon or Kurt Busche but the entire scope... You would realize they are all the same. They busted their ass to get where they are, it's not because of their daddies or uncles taking them on fucking go kart races. Most of their real careers didnt start until early 20's. Do your homework before you guys open your mouths. And kid, I say kick ass and take names. If you think you got what it takes, you probably do. Looking forward to seeing you in your rookie years soon!
Knock Knock

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Mar 27, 2006
Bobbi wrote:
You people are all much too negative. Judging by the way you all talk, not one of you has probably even inquired on how to get into Nascar. You drive, you practice, you drive some more. It pays to know people, but it pays a lot more to work hard and be the best you can. If the kid knows how to drive thats all he needs. No sport is learned, it's talent. It's just a race to see who has more of it. This kid could go rookie next year for all you fucks know. If any of you have studied the backgrounds of most Nascar drivers, not Jeff Gordon or Kurt Busche but the entire scope... You would realize they are all the same. They busted their ass to get where they are, it's not because of their daddies or uncles taking them on fucking go kart races. Most of their real careers didnt start until early 20's. Do your homework before you guys open your mouths. And kid, I say kick ass and take names. If you think you got what it takes, you probably do. Looking forward to seeing you in your rookie years soon!
And your telling people they don't know anything and you post this crap!! First of all, Most Nascar drivers started at the bottom. This is how they got to be known as good or bad. Almost all drivers start in Sprint or if they are lucky might be bumped to trucks. Then they go to busch series and Nextel if they can handle it and a driver is switching teams or cars.
There hasn't been one driver in Nascar that has started at the top. This would be crazy and ASININE to put a driver in a car that goes 200 mph, and have him at the "mercy of drivers". They wouldn't dare take the chance of a "pile up" with a rookie without any experience no matter how "good he was". It takes guts, disapline, and skill to be able to take the pounding and stamina to drive on the "big track's"!!
So yes he does have a shot, but to get interested in racing and want to start a career with no skill or previous driving, it is a mega long shot!! So for you to be telling him go for it, and "I hope to see you" is all false hopes. He would have better luck at a career in sprint.
john

Finland

#14 Apr 16, 2006
I am 14 years old and I'd like to become a nascar driver. How would I start racing? And am I too young?
Oval Racer

Forest Lake, MN

#15 Apr 18, 2006
Dont crush a dream

If this kid wants to race let him race.No one should discourage
him.Racing is not for everyone,this is one of the toughest sports.I have been racing since the age of 8.bicycles,
go-karts,then stock cars. Our local track we have 12-16yr.olds racing competively [4 cyl. cars]these kids dont even have a license to drive on the street.So my point being is....Dont Say you Cant until you try your Hardest.
Jay

San Francisco, CA

#16 Apr 25, 2006
You want it! Then go get it! Never give up, no matter what your dream is. Just spend a little less time reading the negative push on here, and go out and do your thing! If you have it great! If not, it just means you weren't meant to do it. Good luck!!

I'm 28 and moving up. You have 7 years on me. Think about that!!
donna

AOL

#17 Apr 25, 2006
i have this friend who wants to know how he can be a nascar driver.he loves everything about nascar.he loves to drive fast on the local roads ,but can't do to the traffic laws. his favorite driver is daddy dale and jr. what advise can i give him thanks
kenick

Northeast Harbor, ME

#18 May 2, 2006
Hey man i want to do it to. Im 17 and i race go karts whenever i can. So i can feel with ya man. Hey im goin to go for it and i think u should to.
james

Sumner, IL

#19 May 2, 2006
i drive any thing with wheel. iam 18.people have told me i can not drive in nascar because i have not race personally. thank you for listening!
zackary

Arlington, WA

#20 May 9, 2006
id like some info about nascar driving and how i can enter from age 14 to 21. i'm inspiered to drive for nascar driving. if i can get info e-mail me at zackary_yahoo.com
luis

United States

#21 May 11, 2006
im doin a report on nascar and i was wonderin wat training is needed to become a nascar driver.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 43
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NASCAR Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ward's Aunt Says Tony Stewart Grand Jury Put 'W... 10 hr Die Ton Stewart D... 96
Mindy (Oct '07) 17 hr Vincent Kennedy M... 90,988
calling all Jr fans 18 hr jdjracer 3
this chase format Tue jdjracer 2
This Format Tue jdjracer 10
The dumb chase crap Tue WWE CRASHCAR 2014 2
Police: Black teen shot after altercation Tue the nightmare is ... 3

NASCAR People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE