NASCAR catches Joe Gibbs Racing cheating

Full story: Alabama Live 60
Tony Stewart, driver of the No. 20 Old Spice/Give Kids The World Toyota, pits during the NASCAR Nationwide Series CARFAX 250 at Michigan International Speedway on Saturday. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“#99 Carl Edwards fan”

Since: Jul 08

Wise, VA

#2 Aug 17, 2008
ONCE THEY SIGNED SHRUBBIE THE TEAM WENT DOWN THE TUBES. SMOKE GOT OUT JUST IN TIME

“Smoke and the Rocketman”

Since: Jan 07

United States

#3 Aug 17, 2008
well, let me see they make it so that Toyota has to use a restrictor plates on their engines so the others can catch up, taking 16 horse power away and they work even harder to get some of it back and they attempt to be able to keep their new found power and they are cheating?? I think the whining has got to stop!!! too friggin bad if their engines top the others... too bad!!!if these others teams worked half as hard as toyota has in the past season, they would definately have found more power.
TaLowDown

Ashburn, VA

#4 Aug 17, 2008
Debi Does wrote:
well, let me see they make it so that Toyota has to use a restrictor plates on their engines so the others can catch up, taking 16 horse power away and they work even harder to get some of it back and they attempt to be able to keep their new found power and they are cheating?? I think the whining has got to stop!!! too friggin bad if their engines top the others... too bad!!!if these others teams worked half as hard as toyota has in the past season, they would definately have found more power.
Dabs they put a magnet to hide their horsepower just accept it and quit being so NAIVE.

“20”

Since: Aug 08

Ashburn, VA

#6 Aug 17, 2008
til Gibbs responds I'm not getting into this subject.
Darcie

Milwaukee, WI

#7 Aug 17, 2008
Sorry, Debi, but putting a magnet under the gas pedal to hide something is cheating. If it weren't, why do it in the first place? JGR IS trying to hide something, and you can bet you behind that Nascar will not only be looking at their Nationwide cars, but at their Sprint cars. This was just stupid on the part of the JGR teams.
What

Sterling, IL

#8 Aug 17, 2008
I don't get this they put a magnet under the gas pedal? OK over my head!
Cleo

Marquette, MI

#9 Aug 17, 2008
Darcie wrote:
Sorry, Debi, but putting a magnet under the gas pedal to hide something is cheating. If it weren't, why do it in the first place? JGR IS trying to hide something, and you can bet you behind that Nascar will not only be looking at their Nationwide cars, but at their Sprint cars. This was just stupid on the part of the JGR teams.
Regardless of how mad they were because of the restriction that Nascar placed on them, they tried to circumvent it and got caught.

Anyone knows that when you place a magnet near computer chips, its going to give out garbled information.

Perhaps Nascar needs to come up with a wireless chip that they can dyno in the control room during a race to see who's got the most horsepower.
Justice

Gig Harbor, WA

#10 Aug 17, 2008
It sure wasn't as bad a the 48 Knauss crap. NASCAR is a GM puppet When GM whines NASCAR jumps and scratches their a** trying to make the "playing field level" again (read Chevy winning) "in the interest of being competitive......HA! Chevy sucks.......NASCAR sucks hind t*t

“Im bad, really really bad”

Since: Dec 06

United States

#11 Aug 17, 2008
What wrote:
Sounds dangerous to me. The question is, did the driver know?

“Google is your friend”

Charlotte, NC

#12 Aug 17, 2008
Maro wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't during the race - it was after the race and after post race inspection - NASCAR took some of the cars to dyno and the magnets had been placed sometime between then and post race inspection. To the other poster - the point of putting the magnet there is to prevent the gas pedal from going all the way to the floor - which means that the engine can't rev to it's full potential, same as if you're driving your car and "gun" your engine by pressing the pedal to the floor or are just "cruising" with your pedal partially depressed.
luvtonyseyes

Northfield, VT

#13 Aug 17, 2008
Maro wrote:
<quoted text>
They said it wasn't on the car during post race inspection so I would say the drivers didn't know.

“Smoke Fan Forever!!!”

Since: Sep 07

Look to the Western Sky!!!!

#14 Aug 17, 2008
What wrote:
The magnet sticks to the underside of the pedal making it harder to be seen and keeping the pedal from going all the way down. So it probably wasn't there during the race because there's no benefit to it but it keeps the engine from turning max HP during the test.

So yeah they were trying to hide the HP they had recovered.

The question becomes how many times will Nascar change the rules if TRD continues to recover the HP they take from them.

“Im bad, really really bad”

United States

#15 Aug 17, 2008
14_Patti_18 wrote:
<quoted text>
The magnet sticks to the underside of the pedal making it harder to be seen and keeping the pedal from going all the way down. So it probably wasn't there during the race because there's no benefit to it but it keeps the engine from turning max HP during the test.
The question becomes how many times will Nascar change the rules if TRD continues to recover the HP they take from them.
I wonder why/how it was found. Surely someone didnt go 'Hey lets look under the pedal for a magnet'
Legal20Fan

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Aug 17, 2008
NASCAR will change the rules on the fly whenever they need to. The money does all the talking to NASCAR.
What

Sterling, IL

#17 Aug 17, 2008
14_Patti_18 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I see! So it was to hide HP during inspections?
Legal20Fan

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Aug 17, 2008
Maro wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder why/how it was found. Surely someone didnt go 'Hey lets look under the pedal for a magnet'
My guess, the dyno readings were wonky and they couldn't figure out what was interfering so they started looking everywhere in the car.

“Smoke Fan Forever!!!”

#19 Aug 17, 2008
What wrote:
<quoted text>Oh I see! So it was to hide HP during inspections?
During the engine test after post race inspections. They were trying to hide what HP they had recovered so that Nascar wouldn't take it away again.

You people are talking about parity and competition, but is cutting anyone's HP creating competition. Competition is in them building better cars and engines.
Legal20Fan

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Aug 17, 2008
P.S. Don't get your debit/bank/credit cards too close to magnets. It kills them...ask me how I know.

“Smoke Fan Forever!!!”

#21 Aug 17, 2008
Ok

I'm having a bad day today.

It should say, "Yeah, people are talking...."

I'm getting distracted by Rusty talking. He annoys the crap out of me.

“Smoke Fan Forever!!!”

#22 Aug 17, 2008
Maro wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if someone was just really observant and noticed the pedal not going to the floor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NASCAR Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mindy (Oct '07) 9 hr Jane Fonda 91,028
Kyle Larson USAC Turkey Night Grand Prix Nov 22 Openwhdude 1
nascar take brad out Nov 21 freadrich 27
Time for Danica to give up the ride Nov 21 Vincent Kennedy M... 4
Chase "Freaky Fast" Rose Nov 20 Sports Analyst 24
Congresswomen wants Kurt Busch out of his ride Nov 19 Hummm 2
Go to every Sprint Cup race, every year Nov 17 eyeonthesky 1

NASCAR People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE