Tony Stewart silence heightens roar of criticism

Aug 19, 2014 Full story: The Orlando Sentinel 39

Pure Michigan 400: Jeff Gordon Aug 17, 2014; Brooklyn, MI, USA; NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Jeff Gordon celebrates in victory lane after winning the Pure Michigan 400 at Michigan International Speedway.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Manic 2

United States

#22 Aug 23, 2014
A wrongful death lawsuit against Stewart for his involvement in Ward's death is one option available to Ward's family. They would then be able to seek compensatory damages. The standard of proof is lower in civil court than in criminal court, but any potential decision would take into account Ward's actions on the night he was killed.

Although somewhat of an accepted practice, Ward did walk toward the section of the track where cars were moving 30-to-35 mph, and he did so wearing a black fire suit and black helmet. The defense will almost certainly raise the question of whether Stewart even saw Ward, and if he did, at what juncture and how much time did he have to react.

"Stewart would contend that Ward's conduct leaving his car and going onto the racing surface contributed to his death," Van Blarcom-Gupko said. "Unfortunately, if Ward had remained in his vehicle, the outcome would be different and that has legal implications.

"New York is a pure comparative negligence state, which means that even if Ward is deemed to have negligently contributed to his death, it does not serve as a bar to recovery. Rather, whatever damages are awarded will be reduced in proportion to Ward's negligence. Thus, regardless of whether the jury allocated anywhere between one percent and 99 percent of the negligence on Ward, his family could still recover the remaining percentage attributed to Stewart."
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

#23 Aug 24, 2014
This is a very informative article, and Ms. Van Blarcom-Gupko has impeccable credentials.

In addition to valuable arguments she states in Tony's behalf, isn't it interesting that she uses the word "negligence" 3 times - all with reference to Kevin, not Tony?
Manic 2

United States

#24 Aug 25, 2014
CatRod53 wrote:
This is a very informative article, and Ms. Van Blarcom-Gupko has impeccable credentials.
In addition to valuable arguments she states in Tony's behalf, isn't it interesting that she uses the word "negligence" 3 times - all with reference to Kevin, not Tony?
Why did ESPN threaten the announcers Not to mention the fans standing up on lap 14. Why did ESPN refuse to show it on TV .More importantly is it true .Tonys commercials have been Banned from being showed ??? Who banned them & why. Remember The RS article . TS himself admitted his people had to do major damage control with the sponsors. because of the complaints they received from people. " And this was just 4 using the word p#$$$y." If any of this is true ...... Its not just the Ward family that is out to destroy Tony. And no matter what anyone thinks messing with his sponsors is the worst thing that can happen. No matter how any of law suit turns out. Revenge is a very powerful enemy to even the best of people. Again I do not watch many of the races I listen to them . But the fans R going bug shit on FB.
Manic 2

United States

#25 Aug 25, 2014
For got to mention the pt about ESPN threatening the announcers was posted on Twitter. And before someone jumps on me . I know they mentioned the fans standing up . . And the race was half over with. But I have to admit it took a big set of balls to do it . KUDOS
MANIC2

United States

#26 Aug 25, 2014
Controversy and confrontation adds some spark to Bristol Night Race. Our Winners & Losers: http://bit.ly/1pXWO5V
The big question today: Will @KyleBusch get over his crew chief's "whiny little ass" comment.@bobpockrass explains. http://bit.ly/1ol3s0L
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

#27 Aug 25, 2014
Manic 2 wrote:
<quoted text> Why did ESPN threaten the announcers Not to mention the fans standing up on lap 14. Why did ESPN refuse to show it on TV .More importantly is it true .Tonys commercials have been Banned from being showed ??? Who banned them & why. Remember The RS article . TS himself admitted his people had to do major damage control with the sponsors. because of the complaints they received from people. " And this was just 4 using the word p#$$$y." If any of this is true ...... Its not just the Ward family that is out to destroy Tony. And no matter what anyone thinks messing with his sponsors is the worst thing that can happen. No matter how any of law suit turns out. Revenge is a very powerful enemy to even the best of people. Again I do not watch many of the races I listen to them . But the fans R going bug shit on FB.
I was not aware of any of this. But I am proud to be among the decent number of people that respectfully supported Tony on lap 14. I can tell you too that I listen to MRN reporting they race, and if they mentioned it, it had to have been during Denny Hamlin's caution, about lap 160, when I went to the concession stand. But as exciting as Denny made that to watch, I doubt lap 14 was mentioned at all.
MANIC2

United States

#28 Aug 25, 2014
If it is true Wards lawyer is dragging Tony's sponsors into this . It is a brilliant move on their pt. I bet Tony's lawyers were thrown for a loop . Who ever would expect this? Go for the throat . I bet their Lawyer is out of NYC. JS
MANIC2

United States

#29 Aug 25, 2014
What is going on . On these military Bases ?
Trending: Fort Lee reports 'active shooter incident' http://bit.ly/1qGnFjh
GO TONY GO

Elk Grove Village, IL

#30 Aug 25, 2014
MANIC2 wrote:
If it is true Wards lawyer is dragging Tony's sponsors into this . It is a brilliant move on their pt. I bet Tony's lawyers were thrown for a loop . Who ever would expect this? Go for the throat . I bet their Lawyer is out of NYC. JS
JMO even if the Ward's choose to sue Tony he was not running for SHR but his own team. Those sponsor's with Nascar would not be responsible. I don't think that any sponsor's would act before an annoucement from the sheriff is made.
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

#31 Aug 25, 2014
GO TONY GO wrote:
<quoted text> JMO even if the Ward's choose to sue Tony he was not running for SHR but his own team. Those sponsor's with Nascar would not be responsible. I don't think that any sponsor's would act before an annoucement from the sheriff is made.
Excellent point! Nascar sponsors should recognize shyster tactics when they see it and not rush to an unwarranted decision. That could bite them in the butt, as far as deterring Tony's supporters.
GO TONY GO

Elk Grove Village, IL

#32 Aug 25, 2014
Just read on Fox Sports investigation is coming to an end but no timetable yet
MANIC2

United States

#33 Aug 25, 2014
GO TONY GO wrote:
Just read on Fox Sports investigation is coming to an end but no timetable yet
I told you the sheriff & DA would be pricks . Drag this out for as long as they can. They R making Tony sweat it out.
Grim Reaper

Dublin, CA

#34 Aug 25, 2014
MANIC2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I told you the sheriff & DA would be pricks . Drag this out for as long as they can. They R making Tony sweat it out.
Are you dense? Someone DIED and the police have to do their due diligence. I'm sure if it was yout family member you would want the same consideration.
MANIC2

United States

#35 Aug 25, 2014
GO TONY GO wrote:
<quoted text> JMO even if the Ward's choose to sue Tony he was not running for SHR but his own team. Those sponsor's with Nascar would not be responsible. I don't think that any sponsor's would act before an annoucement from the sheriff is made.
Do U have any Idea what kind of message this law suit against a sponsors. for a drivers bad Deeds ??? It would open up flood gates NO sponsor would want. I did not watch the race so I have no idea what comm. were shown. I do not know why ESPN refused to show the grandstands on lap 14. I do not know what the hair up their azz is about. But I do remember one thing Tony had to make an apology for the Rolling Stones Article . Because people complained to the Sponsors thru E-Mails. The web is a very powerful weapon . And if enough people state they will refuse to buy there products. Not Good !
Plus the fact they R dragging this out and not getting it settled is a disaster . We have the OJ trial W/O the trial all over again LMAO To many people have been found innocent because the DAs bad judgment . OJs trial the mother of the little girl they found in the trash bag I can not remember her name. Plus many more . And on top of this the young kid getting gunned down by the cop. People R sick of it . JS
MANIC2

United States

#36 Aug 25, 2014
Grim Reaper wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you dense? Someone DIED and the police have to do their due diligence. I'm sure if it was yout family member you would want the same consideration.
Come on what is there to decide ?? It was a horrible accident that's it . Tony did not go to track to purposely kill someone. The video is crap . They have a pic of this track at night . Taken with a good quality camera .The lighting is good . And the pics were taken from a distance. What do they have to go on . Nothing Yes I would want it over with.
Manic 2

United States

#37 Aug 25, 2014
dave

Hendersonville, NC

#38 Aug 25, 2014
Harrison Freebird wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not on the "Bash Tony Bandwagon" however I tend to agree with you. Times like this for a person with star status like a TS calls for delicate and well thought out press release information as to what is actually behind the curtain. I try not to rush to judge and no matter what this bell can never be unrung.
I agree, I know a lot of people that never watched a Nascar race that know who tony is. hes everywhere. tv, cereal boxes, drink machines. billboards, you think people would be so interested if it was David Gilliland?
Manic 2

United States

#39 Aug 26, 2014
Manic 2

United States

#40 Aug 26, 2014
The investigation into the death of Kevin Ward Jr. and the role in which Tony Stewart played is reportedly coming to an end. It goes without question that Stewart played a role in the death of Ward Jr. as it was his car that struck him. However the results of this investigation will determine whether or not Stewart is at fault or if it’s deemed to be an accident. If Stewart is found to be at fault he could face legal charges and a lengthy trial which I am sure nobody in his position would want to have to endure.

Although the investigation is in its final stages, it still might be some time before the findings are released to the public. According to a recent report by FOX Sports there is no word on when the findings will be released to the public. The report quotes Officer Nathaniel Ross, the OCPD’s Senior Communications Officer who said Monday morning that the police are “finishing up” the investigation. When asked if there was a timetable to make the findings public Ross said “Not that I’m aware of.” < Again what is the big secret ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NASCAR Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Toyota in NASCAR 5 hr Cale 11 3
This race fan is 'bummed' (Feb '12) Dec 25 Sgt Prepper 91
Daytona Beach: Florida's Rape Capital (Mar '10) Dec 23 Joe 42
Merry Christmas Dec 22 Hilton Head 5
NASCAR Sprint Cup's Ricky Stenhouse Enters Batt... Dec 18 nelson 1
where's lil Jimmy Spencer? Dec 17 Vicious Vic 1
CMS Removing seats Dec 15 Uncle John Duckett 5
More from around the web