Who's better: Jimmie Johnson or Jeff ...

Who's better: Jimmie Johnson or Jeff Gordon?

There are 21 comments on the Fox Sports story from Oct 24, 2008, titled Who's better: Jimmie Johnson or Jeff Gordon?. In it, Fox Sports reports that:

Lee Spencer is senior NASCAR writer for FOXSports.com. She also is a correspondent for "Around the Track" on FOX Sports Net.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox Sports.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Grandma 24

United States

#1 Oct 24, 2008
Give me a break. JG is the very best all around!Jimmie and Tony are tied, in my mind, as second.
Want me to rate some more (I am not talking about championship)?
pete

AOL

#2 Oct 24, 2008
jimmy will never be as good as jeff was and still is ifit wasn,t for chad cheating on car setups chips ,gears ,positraction ,jimmy wouldn t be in the chase jeff always blocks and helps jimmy win .which sucks!!!!last week jeff had the car to beat.
nascar fan

United States

#3 Oct 24, 2008
pete wrote:
jimmy will never be as good as jeff was and still is ifit wasn,t for chad cheating on car setups chips ,gears ,positraction ,jimmy wouldn t be in the chase jeff always blocks and helps jimmy win .which sucks!!!!last week jeff had the car to beat.
I think you are exactly right, and I dont know why he dont get caught.

Since: May 07

Spokane, WA

#4 Oct 24, 2008
As of right now, Jimmie! We'll have to see the stats in a few years though.

Jimmie has a kick ass crew chief and Jeff has Stevie. Ugh, Don't get me started on that!

Jeff is a true champion and will always have his 4 championships. Not many can say that nor will many ever, doubtfully. He is off his game this year. That's for certain.

First time ever to go winless in a season if he doesn't win a race, that's depressing. He seems to keep a possitive attitude though. That counts for something. He has matured over the years.

Jeff and Jimmie are two of the best.

Go HMS!
pete

AOL

#5 Oct 24, 2008
jeff is a true champion .jimmy is driving for jeff and jeff gave jimmy 2 championships already. i know a kid that has more driving skill then jimmy anyday.jeff choquette
he been w2inning in latemodels since he was 14 he is 21 now and has beaten the best including cup racers such as kyle busch and several outher cup drivers.jimmy i,d like to see you try to beat choquette on dirt ,asphalt ,etc .jeff would win in equal cars .

Since: May 07

Spokane, WA

#6 Oct 24, 2008
pete wrote:
jeff is a true champion .jimmy is driving for jeff and jeff gave jimmy 2 championships already. i know a kid that has more driving skill then jimmy anyday.jeff choquette
he been w2inning in latemodels since he was 14 he is 21 now and has beaten the best including cup racers such as kyle busch and several outher cup drivers.jimmy i,d like to see you try to beat choquette on dirt ,asphalt ,etc .jeff would win in equal cars .
Pete, it's JimmIE not JimmY!
DO you have a shift key? Could you try using it? It's called CAPITALIZATION or UPPERCASE letters, commonly used for PRONOUNS.(as in names)

Thanks!:)

Good luck to Jeff this Sunday!
Grandma 24

Modesto, CA

#7 Oct 24, 2008
Wow! People actually agreed with me for once. Go JG!and have a good race.

“Space Lord, Mother, Mother!”

Since: Sep 08

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Oct 24, 2008
Tamara24 wrote:
As of right now, Jimmie! We'll have to see the stats in a few years though.
Jimmie has a kick ass crew chief and Jeff has Stevie. Ugh, Don't get me started on that!
Jeff is a true champion and will always have his 4 championships. Not many can say that nor will many ever, doubtfully. He is off his game this year. That's for certain.
First time ever to go winless in a season if he doesn't win a race, that's depressing. He seems to keep a possitive attitude though. That counts for something. He has matured over the years.
Jeff and Jimmie are two of the best.
Go HMS!
He'd have 6 championships if it wasn't for the chase!

“Space Lord, Mother, Mother!”

Since: Sep 08

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Oct 24, 2008
Grandma 24 wrote:
Wow! People actually agreed with me for once. Go JG!and have a good race.
LOL! Save this page to your hard drive, lol!
Nascartoon

Wixom, MI

#10 Oct 24, 2008
Hey! I'm a big Jimmie fan, but I'm also honest. It really depends on what you mean by better. Performance wish, right now, Jimmie is without a doubt better. If it's a matter of who's the more skilled driver, than my nod would definitely go to Jeff. Here's the way I look at it. Jeff can win anywhere at any time, he has not real weak track. I know there are a couple left that he hasn't won at, but he's been plenty competitive there. Jimmie on the other hand, still has some tracks that aren't the kindest to him. He has improved a lot over the years, but still has some places where he could get much better. There was a time when Jimmie struggled on the short tracks and now he seems to dominate on them. That's why Jimmie gets better and better. He recognizes his weaknesses and works to make the strengths. Jeff, well racing just seems to come more natural to him. Maybe Jimmie will one day equal Jeff's ability to win anywhere, but right now he's not quite there. He's always improving though, so I guess time will tell the real tale.
pete

AOL

#11 Oct 26, 2008
if it wasn,t for jeff. nobody would have ever heard of jimmy.jeff had to buy half the48 car so hendrick would take jimmy on.jeff choquette needs the same shot that jimmy got,i think jeff choquette can beat jimmy in equl cars any day any where!!

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

#12 Oct 26, 2008
Considering just the two men and their talent, Jeff Gordon is still the better driver, but only by a heart beat. Wrap the team's of each into the equation and Jimmie comes out ahead. Chad Knaus is the best crew chief in Cup today. If Steve Letarte was as good as Chad, Jeff would be leading the standings going for his sixth title.

Since: Mar 08

Greenfield, IN

#13 Oct 26, 2008
Jeff Gordon! Hands down! We'll see how long Jimmie is on top of the standings and accomplishments then re-evaluate.

Since: Aug 08

Baltimore, MD

#14 Oct 26, 2008
At this time JJ is the best driver in nascar

Since: Jul 08

United States

#15 Oct 26, 2008
All time it is Jeff.

Right now it is Jimmie.
Dalesgirl

Cleveland, OH

#16 Oct 27, 2008
I will go with JG. But Pettey will always be the greatest. JJ did one heck of a job Sunday.
Don't know what happened to JR.
TB Chief

Decatur, IL

#17 Oct 27, 2008
Comparing the elite drivers is like comparing the top QB's in football. They are only as good as the team around them. You put Jimmie or Jeff or Tony or Dale Jr. on a crappy team they will be nothing but average. Don overestimate their talent and underestimate the value of a good team. Jimmie and jeff are both excellent drivers but are fortunate to have spent their entire careers with HMS. How good would Peyton Manning have been if he played with the Detroit Lions? Not very good I think!

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#18 Oct 27, 2008
Jimmie is getting a lot of experience over the years. However, Jeff Gordon is beating him by a 10 or more years experience. Gordon is a very talented road course driver as well as oval, short, and restrictor plate track driver. Gordon owns Jimmie Johnson's car, so the better Jimmie does Gordon can't mind. Gordon used to be a lot aggresive, but since Dale Sr. passed he hasn't gotten much involved in fighting for the spot.(and we all know the rivalry between #3 and #24, it was of the factors that led to rise of nascar, The Kid vs. The Intimidator)
After Dale Sr's Death, gordon has been conservative, and races what the car with car he got, he doesn't push the car as he wants. The problem is with the new car. The COT is very different to wat gordon grew up driving. The new car handle differently and have tire issues. The old cars were all the same, and it was matter of how adjusted the car. AFter watching yesterday's race, one can conclude that only the major car owners like hendrick, roush-fenway, and gibbs can dominate with the new car. It used to be where anybody can win as long they adjusted the car and had the advantage over the car. But no matter what other ppl did, Jimmie and Edwards had the better car.

Jeff Gordon is a good driver, but we all know that Jimmie is a talented driver as much as gordon, and he still makes mistakes. When Jimmie Ties Gordon for the most win, we can try to compare them together but it will hard.. Their two of the best driver. One is talented driver with a good crew chief. The other is a talented driver with a great crew chief..
jeff rocks

Chesapeake City, MD

#19 Oct 28, 2008
jeff is so much better than jimmie but jimmie is good and have good race jeff!!!!!!!!!!
Joey

Rockville Centre, NY

#20 Nov 4, 2008
Jeff Gordon is better hands down and always will be. Jeff is great all all types of racetracks. He has broken all kinds of records that nobody has ever come close to, Jimmie is good but i think it is more his crew chief.
GO 24!
4 championships(6 under the real point system)
81 wins
67 poles
3 DAYTONA 500'S
4 BRICKYARD 400'S (Including Inagural)
9 road coarse wins

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NASCAR Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
EPA proposes lowering requirements for ethanol ... 2 min Fart news 4
Bristol 3 min Fart news 5
Flag black-out 4 min Fart news 3
Nascar 7 min Fart news 4
Another Top 30 for Patrick. Indy experience pay... 8 min Fart news 5
The Great SportsChump NASCAR Giveaway 11 min Fart news 3
No dw lo 14 min Fart news 5
More from around the web