What does a 'secure' border look like?

Feb 23, 2013 Full story: Ruidoso News 23

In this May 18, 2006 file photo, a man rests his hands on a fence looking out to the United States from a Mexican customs station after being detained by U.S. Border Patrol in Arizona and returned to Mexico in Nogales, Mexico.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#22 Feb 25, 2013
Concerned wrote:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.co m/world_now/2012/01/kidnapping -bad-somalia-mexico.html
I just read this report that Mexico as written in this Latin publication was #1 in the world for kidnappings. This report was from January of 2012. I also read recently in a Mexican newspaper that right now Mexico city is the highest in the world for kidnappings. I have been trying to find that paper and article. If anyone has any other information I would like to see it.
Here is a copy and paste from the link posted below.
While crime varies widely within Mexico depending upon location, the Department of State crime threat rating for Mexico City is CRITICAL. Armed robberies, express kidnappings, car thefts, carjackings, credit card fraud, and various forms of street crime are daily concerns. The low rate of convictions of criminals contributes to the high crime rate. There is no indication that criminals are specifically targeting tourists or foreigners; however, this does NOT mean that they avoid committing crimes against foreigners or tourists in the wrong place at the wrong time. Criminals select victims based on an appearance of vulnerability, prosperity, or a lack of awareness. Ostentatious displays of wealth are magnets for thieves in Mexico City. Wearing expensive jewelry, watches, and displays of large amounts of cash draw unwanted attention. Jewelry, expensive watches, and cellular phones can be sold easily in vast illegal markets. Although Mexico employs strict gun-control laws, criminals usually are armed with knives or handguns when carrying out street crime.
https://www.osac.gov/Pages/ContentReportDetai...
This is a pretty legitimate source for information on crime in Mexico City.
try these guys.

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/

they put out what others are afraid to do to cartels killing reporters.look on their site and see a very good reason we would not want these folks here even those alot are already.
Sirius2b

Querétaro, Mexico

#23 Feb 25, 2013
Hello @Concerned...

Hello,@Concerned.

The truth is that crime will be allways "too high". But sometimes when you hear the media talking about someplace being dangerous, you will either believe it just like that, doubt that "infomation", or simply reject it based on your own "knowledge" of the situation, or plainly your emotional preferences.

The US goverment in its assessements for travel to Mexico last year, didn't recomended Tamaulipas, Sinaloa, Cohahuila (Torreon), and I don't remember much more. Have to admit that Acapulco was a surprisingly accurate prediction, if we judge for the last two scandals (the 6 Spanish girls and the Belgian).

Regarding Mexico City, well, some people would be surprised to know that is the very "schwerpunkt" of the Mexican tourism industry. It receives more tourists than Cancun. Statistics of a year ago, showed that Mexico City was pretty safe compared with the rest of the country. The US goverment didn't had any bad recomendation about it, and I personally believe that the D.F. with its democratic leftist govemrent and its life dedicated to culture, have to be safe. Besides, I feel emotionally attached for it, and of course I want to speak in its favor (I am doing it).

You have to know that "Mexico City" is a place that has almost as many inhabitants as Australia, and its not uniform. You have large slums around, mostly to the East and South. This places are always conflictive. In the north-west, there is a large area of mostly middle-class suburbs. Recently there was an increase of crime on those, precisely in the last 3 months. None or very little of this places is the actual "D,F.", which is surrounded by the "State of Mexico", traditionally much more poorly managed, with much more corrupt police, etc.

My recomendation will be that tourists that visit Mexico City will keep themselves in the most known tourist areas.
Concerned

Chihuahua, Mexico

#24 Feb 25, 2013
Sirius2b wrote:
Hello @Concerned...
Hello,@Concerned.
The truth is that crime will be allways "too high". But sometimes when you hear the media talking about someplace being dangerous, you will either believe it just like that, doubt that "infomation", or simply reject it based on your own "knowledge" of the situation, or plainly your emotional preferences.
The US goverment in its assessements for travel to Mexico last year, didn't recomended Tamaulipas, Sinaloa, Cohahuila (Torreon), and I don't remember much more. Have to admit that Acapulco was a surprisingly accurate prediction, if we judge for the last two scandals (the 6 Spanish girls and the Belgian).
Regarding Mexico City, well, some people would be surprised to know that is the very "schwerpunkt" of the Mexican tourism industry. It receives more tourists than Cancun. Statistics of a year ago, showed that Mexico City was pretty safe compared with the rest of the country. The US goverment didn't had any bad recomendation about it, and I personally believe that the D.F. with its democratic leftist govemrent and its life dedicated to culture, have to be safe. Besides, I feel emotionally attached for it, and of course I want to speak in its favor (I am doing it).
You have to know that "Mexico City" is a place that has almost as many inhabitants as Australia, and its not uniform. You have large slums around, mostly to the East and South. This places are always conflictive. In the north-west, there is a large area of mostly middle-class suburbs. Recently there was an increase of crime on those, precisely in the last 3 months. None or very little of this places is the actual "D,F.", which is surrounded by the "State of Mexico", traditionally much more poorly managed, with much more corrupt police, etc.
My recomendation will be that tourists that visit Mexico City will keep themselves in the most known tourist areas.
I have no problem with traveling there. I just take extra precautions no matter where I go and do the research first. I do realize all the kidnappings are against the more wealthy Mexican people in Mexico city. My friend went to Mexico city and was told not to wear jewelry. He wore a cheap $20 watch and the first day, as he exited a business he lost it to a young man who demanded it with a gun to his head. No big loss, but a scary situation. I know they say to warm of pick pockets there also, but the same is said about New York City.

I remember my first day there being it for Mordida 3 times. One guy said buses only. As I sat there trying to figure out why about 200 cars drove by and not one bus. I tried to point that out to him but all he wanted was the money.

I do understand that just about any larger City, and having more people will always lead to higher crime. It is a given.

Thanks for the Info. I used to drive from Utah to Mexico City to get my scientific research permits when I was younger. It was interesting back then. You could use a letter with a University heading at the top with your permit requests to get the permit. But we learned that if you went to an office supply and bought a ten cent gold seal and attached it to the bottom with a notary signature and stamp they would accept it easier. I guess it made it look more official.

Thanks for the info.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sonora, Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Alex Jones Explains USS Liberty as US consul cl... (Feb '12) Oct '14 BEN AFFLECK fan 9
Pacific storm blast pushes rain into Arizona Sep '14 Phoenix 1
Pacific storm blast pushes rain into Arizona Sep '14 Odile 1
Scientists check huge crack in Earth Aug '14 TALLYHO 8541 23
Mexican Congress Urges Gov't to Cancel Mine Con... Aug '14 Eduardo 2
US border effort sputters as migrants cross again Jul '14 Too Sad 3
US border effort sputters as migrants cross again Jul '14 Jeannie 1
More from around the web

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:48 am PST