Plant closing to displace 170 workers...

Plant closing to displace 170 workers - Sentinel & Enterprise

There are 83 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Jul 22, 2009, titled Plant closing to displace 170 workers - Sentinel & Enterprise. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

A longtime Leominster cable and wire manufacturer will be shutting its doors by July 2010, leaving 170 workers jobless, according to company officials.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Luther Manning

Princeton, MA

#1 Jul 22, 2009
Thanks to NATFA washington....
Unemployed in Fitchburg

Essex, MA

#2 Jul 22, 2009
How come they're getting all the love? There are a lot of us that lost our jobs and we're not getting any special treatment.
Fred

Leominster, MA

#3 Jul 22, 2009
Unemployed in Fitchburg wrote:
How come they're getting all the love? There are a lot of us that lost our jobs and we're not getting any special treatment.
We all love you. Now, go find another job and vote for republicans next time.
Concerned citizen

Westford, MA

#5 Jul 22, 2009
They can all go work in all the retail oppurtunities that the Burger King has created in the city instead of trying to keep real jobs.
Sunny Brisebois

Billerica, MA

#6 Jul 22, 2009
This is all Wong's and Streb's fault. Vote Streb out!
EMPLOYEE MOHAWK

Rockport, MA

#7 Jul 22, 2009
Concerned citizen wrote:
They can all go work in all the retail oppurtunities that the Burger King has created in the city instead of trying to keep real jobs.
I would be happy to serve you when i"m working behind the counter at BURGERKING.
Dont sweat it

West Brookfield, MA

#8 Jul 22, 2009
EMPLOYEE MOHAWK wrote:
<quoted text>I would be happy to serve you when i"m working behind the counter at BURGERKING.
There happen to be many openings right now at the other wire and cable companies for people with experience. You'll probably end up with an even better job without even having to collect.
WHAT ABOUT US

Windham, NH

#9 Jul 22, 2009
Sunny Brisebois wrote:
This is all Wong's and Streb's fault. Vote Streb out!
you spelled his name wrong. nice try

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#10 Jul 22, 2009
Let's also thank Massachusetts for being such a pro-business state. We have all kinds of businesses just knocking down the door to come here to be taxed to death by our legislators...not all of these jobs went to Mexico, some of them went to a state that encourages businesses to move there.

Thank You Massachusetts...your doing a great job!
Templeton Resident

Sterling, MA

#11 Jul 22, 2009
"It's tough to see jobs going to Mexico when we're losing them here," he said. "We're getting the cocaine, they're getting the jobs."
I think there should be term limits for mayors but I personally think Mazzarella should have the job for life. You can't help but like a guy who's willing to speak his mind.
KY kid

AOL

#12 Jul 22, 2009
Yep Bruce, let's model our economy and quality of life on Kentucky, just think of the money we'd all save on dentists alone
Luger

Boston, MA

#13 Jul 22, 2009
Hilarious you blame a president of 6 month's for our countrys failure.Bush left this country in an absolute mess.Now we have the Democrats trying to shove health care down our throats.The result of inaction by the republicans.Yes we cant afford it so let us do nothing.Politics are ruining this country.Two partys born and bred to hate each other,how is this productive.Yes I love my country but not my Goverment.It appears we are not united as a country.All I know is 8 years a Republican tenure didnt unite or govern in a positive manner.Behold the begining of the US downward spiral.It will continue be prepared.Low wages,out of control health care costs,outsourcing,lax bank regulation,corporate welfare,corporate greed,low wages,illegals feeding of the system yet not paying into it with taxes and on and on.America as we once new it is gone.
Save the world kill a politician.
Really

Tyngsboro, MA

#14 Jul 22, 2009
I agree with templeton resident, that is the best quote I've seen in a long time!
Good luck to all those people trying to find new jobs. Very sad!
ExFincomm

Leominster, MA

#15 Jul 22, 2009
I've seen two different studies on the "Cost of Doing Business". In one study, MA was the most expensive state in the entire country, in the other it was the second most expensive state to do business in (behind Hawaii). This factored in cost of wages, property taxes, utilities, insurances, etc.
Manufacturing will almost be non-existant in a few years, we will have service industries and some high tech. A big employment vacuum will be left for the semi-skilled people with certain skills.
We can blame NAFTA to a certain extent but we can thank the folks in Boston too.... NH, just a few miles away was in around the middle in those same surveys.
Someone Paying Attention

United States

#16 Jul 22, 2009
Mazzarella doesn't see the direct connection between his supporting Republicans that champion sending jobs overseas for cheap labor under the guise of "competitive markets" which causes him to invite the likes of Walmart into his own city that generate low tax revenues and bring high demand for public service along with low paying jobs without benefits.

Funny how Mazzarella - the former cop - owns all those rental properties in the part of town where all the cocaine bust occur ... makes you wonder ...

What motivates that loser?

I certainly see nothing humorous in his quote and hold him accountable for the financial crisis due to his vigorous campaign for the culprits he endorsed and got elected that are responsible for this mess.
Mike from Leominster

Wethersfield, CT

#17 Jul 22, 2009
Someone Paying Attention wrote:
Mazzarella doesn't see the direct connection between his supporting Republicans that champion sending jobs overseas for cheap labor under the guise of "competitive markets" which causes him to invite the likes of Walmart into his own city that generate low tax revenues and bring high demand for public service along with low paying jobs without benefits.
I never understood how the Ford pickup drivin' "buy american" crowd could so blindly support republicans all these years. Read the party platforms. It's the opposite of what you think.
Karen

Leominster, MA

#18 Jul 22, 2009
I happen to like Mayor Mazzarella and I think his comment about "we get the cocaine, they (Mexico) get the jobs" hits the nail on the head. As far as NAFTA, Bill Clinton was the one who signed it into law, but Hillary was definitely opposed to it and probably would have done something about it had she been elected President. Guess we will never know.
I'm not opposed to a few jobs going to Mexico if it keeps their citizens from coming over the border illegally and taking our jobs here. In America we have the knowledge and the no-how to develop technology that should keep us a world leader if we all put our efforts in that direction. People should not stagnate. If you lose your job, there are ways to get training for new jobs and probably a better paying one at that. I try to stay optomistic even though sometimes the odds seem to be against us. I hope that the people who have lost their jobs will too. The best of luck to you.
Beacon Hill

Bolton, MA

#19 Jul 22, 2009
Dear out of work subjects,

We here on Beacon Hill will do everything possible to assist you in these hard times. We are delivering color glossy pamphlets on how to write a resume, the second under secretary of unemployment will be out to shake hands and look concerned, and we'll investigate any claims of wrongful termination based on race -- as long as your a member of certain 'preferred' races.

Meanwhile, were hiking the state sales tax next week by 25%, we'll likely hike the state gas tax soon and we'll be adding thousands of patronage jobs to the state payroll - ps. don't bother applying.

All the best,
your friends on Beacon Hill
Come on

Fitchburg, MA

#20 Jul 22, 2009
Had phone interview yesterday, will have face to face next wed. for a new perm position.

Current employer giving new project plans to start in less than 2 weeks.

Perhaps it's you that is keeping you back? U no, whinin' on the boards is not a skill set!
Come on

Fitchburg, MA

#21 Jul 22, 2009
Fred wrote:
<quoted text>We all love you. Now, go find another job and vote for republicans next time.
Yeah right, nice try. Republicans are why we are at this point. You can't erase 6 full years of purposely causing Government failure and spending off the books on War!

We told you way back in 04 that your childrens children will be paying for that crap one way or another, you all went ballistic with Patriotism and nationalism and a Gas Guzzling frenzy tax breaks for rich people and guzzlwer buying!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sonora, Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News When Mexicans crossed our border to feed Americ... 2 hr Inquisitor 3
News LULAC presents on immigration reform Aug 5 T returns 16
News San Francisco Bay Trail: Mare Island ships, Val... Jul '15 Sam 1
News Judge: Family of Mexican teen shot by agent can... Jul '15 concerned citizen 1
News Judge: Family of Mexican teen shot by agent can... Jul '15 I Hate The Frenchi 4
News Hermosillo's ABC Daycare Fire 6 Years Later Jun '15 ff14store 1
News A look at where the 2016 hopefuls stand on immi... May '15 wild child 2
More from around the web