FBI warns of kidnappings in Tijuana

Feb 7, 2008 Read more: Earth Times 207

“Some of the 26 were recovered, some were hurt and some were killed”

SAN DIEGO, Feb. 7 Federal agents said kidnappings of U.S. citizens by Mexican gangs in Tijuana, Rosarito Beach and Ensenada are becoming more common. via Earth Times

Read more
help

Mexico, Mexico

#21 Jun 26, 2008
I NEED HELP FRIEND KIDNAPPED IN TJ I NEED INFO CONTACT ME AT SOLPICS@HOTMAIL.COM
anonimous wrote:
I JUST LIKE TO ALERT ALL AMERICAN, PLEASE DO NOT GO TO TIJUANA MEXICO AT ANY TIME, I WAS KIDNAPPED BY
MEXICAN LOCAL AND STATE POLICE OFFICERS FEW MONTHS AGO. FBI HELPED MY FAMILY, AND THEM AS WELL, SO DON'T EVEN THINK TO CROSS THE BORDER AND PLEASE TELL ALL YOU FRIENDS WE ARE IN DANGER IN MEXICO
WE HAVE A GOOD AND SAFE COUNTRY WE DO NOT NEED ANYTHING FROM MEXICO, PLEASE I BEG YOU DO NOT CROSS THAT BORDER PLEASEEEEEEEEEE.
seenit

Los Angeles, CA

#22 Jun 26, 2008
i trip when i go to unwind in tiajuana i dress like a local and see amer . women 3 or 4 at a time hitting the bar by themself . by the third bar they hit they are taking off their bras i even had a picture taken of three of the girls with thier busts in my face for 5 dollars,its true about the police corrupted like corrosion on steel. im mexican it very dangerous now. not like it used to be ,remember turning 18 piling into the car and driving to tj for the night . NO MORE
An Honest Bystander

Yucaipa, CA

#23 Jul 7, 2008
It seems rediculous how some of these postings are so ... FAKE sounding .... and how extreme some of the more outrageous remarks are.
For waht its' worth, I have read in the LA Times about how the "criminal complications" have spiked for those traveling into BAJA Mexico. THIS I believe to be true because of its' source. As for the claims of "criminal complications" ... I tend to believe it is every bit as "complicated" in some parts of America - especially in the major cities as it might be in a border town like Tijuana, or in the border region extending towards Ensenada and Rosarita (plus communities in betwen). I myself have encountered what are obviously working girls in Ensenada - and also I've seen the same in Hollywood and in MASS in Vegas! So what of it? Plus I've been shot at - or near a shooting on more than one occassion in SoCal... and I consider myslef a careful non-combatant type (innocent bystander).
At any rate, I am here because I am preparing to visit Rosarita and possibly adjoining areas for affordable touring and lite weight fun. It was of interest to me that someone claimed kidnappings and crime were rampant at this time - however - I have choosen NOT to belive it. Mostly because many of the contributors with a negative perspective have extremely poor grammer.
I look forward to visiting with several families at once - we have 3-5 families who will travel into the area for the weekend - and this might make it harder to take on such a large group if we sort of stick to ourselves. AND ... we are looking to hire horses toride on the beach, find a nice place to stay and dine at - and possibly wander through a few shops - however it's unlikely we'll buy much in the way souveneers.
Thanks to all for your opinions and remarks on this subject. It has been .... entertaining... to say the least.

“Green card?”

Since: Jan 08

Tepic, Nayarit, Mexico

#24 Jul 12, 2008
MEXICO CITY - Kidnappers in Mexico are three times more likely to kill their victims than are their counterparts in Colombia, the country long considered to have the worst problem, a Mexican anti-crime group said Monday.

About one out of every seven people kidnapped in Mexico died at the hands of their captors in 2005, compared to one out of every 26 victims in Colombia, according to a report by the Citizen Council for Public Safety, a private-sector think tank.

Mexico overtook Colombia this year as the world leader in reported kidnappings in the first six months of 2005 with 194 cases, compared to 172 abductions registered over the same period in Colombia, according to the think tank.
Crystal

Denver, CO

#26 Jul 14, 2008
Dave wrote:
The killings are almost 100% the drug people and the police/military. The kidnappings are almost 100% against targeted wealthy Mexicans/corporate executives and/or drug related US people.
It simply DOES NOT affect normal people, expecially in the tourist areas. I live in Rosarito full time and travel into Tijuana and across the border regularly.
I state what I experience and KNOW, unlike the idiots here who merely make things up and keep repeating old rumors.
I am, day to day, safer here than I would be in the US. The crime in the US is out of control and the gun violence unreal ....
That's simply how it IS.
I disagree, I have been hearing about this type of stuff a lot lately, I am not saying that it didnt happen before. I am born an American and my father is in Mexico, I have been partying there for many years especially in Rosarito and Baja MX and the police have robbed us more than three times which is not that bad I guess, once they tried to arrest my friend and take off with me..probably not kidnap me but definitely rape or take advantage of me...they ended up taking several hundred dollars from my friend instead, since he was not going to have it. My dad lives in San Felipe now and he has said that someone tried to kidnap him and not just once but several times, he is native to Mexico and is not rich by all means, so why was someone chasing him and attempting to kidnap him? Maybe because they thought he has money...I do think that most kidnapping occur because of money, so just go in your raggity car and wear old clothes and limit your spending. I would still go back but I am a little more cautious now.

“Green card?”

Tepic, Nayarit, Mexico

#27 Jul 14, 2008
Crystal wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree, I have been hearing about this type of stuff a lot lately, I am not saying that it didnt happen before. I am born an American and my father is in Mexico, I have been partying there for many years especially in Rosarito and Baja MX and the police have robbed us more than three times which is not that bad I guess, once they tried to arrest my friend and take off with me..probably not kidnap me but definitely rape or take advantage of me...they ended up taking several hundred dollars from my friend instead, since he was not going to have it. My dad lives in San Felipe now and he has said that someone tried to kidnap him and not just once but several times, he is native to Mexico and is not rich by all means, so why was someone chasing him and attempting to kidnap him? Maybe because they thought he has money...I do think that most kidnapping occur because of money, so just go in your raggity car and wear old clothes and limit your spending. I would still go back but I am a little more cautious now.
A friend of mine sailed up to San Felipe, went to use a payphone and some guy comes up with a knife and demands all his money. He gives it to him, gets off the phone and walks into the main part of town. He see's the guy at an outside table at a restaurant sitting with a Mexican cop, he walks up to the table and tells the cop, "this guy just robbed me at knife point". The cop looks at the guy and asks "is this true" he say's "yes". The cop tells him to give the money back and he does, then the cop took him to jail. My friend gets back on his boat and leaves, what happened to the thief is not known.
My friend is now in the south pacific looking for adventure.
leslie

Yucaipa, CA

#28 Jul 15, 2008
this goes to the honest bystander... u are such an idiot, who cares how people are writing wether its the wrong way, all there trying to say is its not a safe place togo, but if your such an arrogant morron that dosent want to listen go ahead and go enjoy ur trip youll see its not all its cracked up to be, who knows maybe nothing will happen but knowing everything that has happened i can almost guarentee youll eat your words and apologize for your arogance!
damnedfan

Long Beach, CA

#32 Jul 15, 2008
My friends and I (one very large man and four women) have driven down from Long Beach to Ensenada twice in the last two months. We were absolutely 100 percent safe and made it back without a hitch.

This last time (this last weekend), we camped at Playa Salamando for two nights, and it was by far one of the most relaxing weekends we've had in a long time. We had not one issue on the freeway, and not one sense of feeling uncomfortable the entire time.

There was, however, a heavy military presence after the last toll road on 1. This was a bit strange, but it actually made us feel better. The AK-47s hanging off their necks actually made it feel safer, believe it or not, and we're not ones for rampant gun use.

Getting into T.J. was a different story, as there were police activity and military all over the place, mainly aimed at desolate squalors, not even paying attention to the cars. The police tape made it difficult to get around and back into the San Diego entrance line, but the police officers were fairly kind in giving directions and such to get us back on track. Mind you, I'm as Irish as they come, and didn't get one look from the Federales-even with my driving cap on.

Time and heat were the only issues, not the fear of being kidnapped or murdered, that's for sure.

I drove an '03 Toyota and took off the plate frame so nobody could see where I was actually from. I also haven't washed my car pretty much since I bought it, so that might have helped. Also, you'll see so many Cali license plates it's unbelievable.

Just don't take the wrong turn and end up on the 2 on the way down to the "scenic" Highway 1, and you'll be just fine. If you do make a wrong turn, don't stop-seriously.

Oh yah, what's with the Kidnapping Insurance? Fire Insurance in Hell?
rrr

United States

#33 Jul 16, 2008
NOW LETS SEE NOW >> how many killing,s in the USA this year, how many childrean killed or moseted, now many robers this year in the USA (THOUSANDS) look at the stats. HAY FBI you better stop poking your nose in down there in MEXICO and start taking care of bussiness in the USA. OH buy the way there isn,t even a fraction of killings and kidnappings in MEXICO that there is in the good ole USA, not even close as many Hell Washington DC is cosidered the Murder Cap. of the USA. HA>HA> Home of the FBI.
rrr

United States

#34 Jul 16, 2008
Sorry if is was a little Potty Mouth, or Potty typing on my last post, i just could not resist the FBI warning US about Mexico, when out there offices windows they can hear drug wars and shotting going on.

“Religion stops a thinking mind”

Since: Nov 07

Salt Lake City, UT

#35 Jul 16, 2008
As if there could be any more of a reason for avoiding Mexico. I vacationed there once, and would never consider going back. It is a DUMP! Imagine an entire country of trailer trash losers and you have a pretty good picture of Mexico.
DPete

United States

#36 Jul 16, 2008
I just returned from working in orphanages in Tijuana and had a wonderful time. The only violence I saw was the police arresting a man who tried to rob a vender on the beach. We were there for five days and were perfectly fine. Not to say you shouldn't be alert but I am going to Florida in September and will need to be just as alert.

Since: Jun 08

Burbank, CA

#38 Jul 16, 2008
FedUpAmerican wrote:
As if there could be any more of a reason for avoiding Mexico. I vacationed there once, and would never consider going back. It is a DUMP! Imagine an entire country of trailer trash losers and you have a pretty good picture of Mexico.
You were on a Club Med all inclusive, I take it.

Salt Lake City, UT

#39 Jul 17, 2008
Marcos El Malo wrote:
<quoted text>
You were on a Club Med all inclusive, I take it.
Actually it was a very nice timeshare in San Jose del Cabo. We visited San Jose del Cabo and all the little stores there. It was hot, dirty and miserable. Every 10 feet someone was trying to sell me Chicklets or jewelry

The only redeeming thing about the trip was the food.

Salt Lake City, UT

#40 Jul 17, 2008
Typo: We visited Cabo San Lucas and stayed in San Jose del Cabo.
seriously

West Covina, CA

#41 Oct 24, 2008
mextrip85 wrote:
you'll need all the insurance you can get if your a visiting hezbollah, or other 3rd world countries.
Ok, aside from all the grammar errors, it should be pointed out that "Hezbollah" is not a 3d world country, in fact it is not an actual location. It is, however, a political/military organization. If you DO know where Hezbollah is, perhaps you should call Homeland Security seeing as they're probably looking to located them.
Steve

AOL

#42 Oct 25, 2008
I travel to Mexico Tj and Otay 3 times a week, I have my son working and living 7 days and 7 nights a week in Baja Ca. I'm from NYC, I've lived in the South Bronx NY, today I live in LA, but their more danger in South Central or East La. yes police pull you over in Mexico, yes they want $20. But I've become friends with police and the local people their tourist business is down 95%. They don't want to chase away the last 5% of business. If Americans have been kidnapped why isn't it been reported on CNN or ABC TV, with names and real people faces. My friend live in TJ drives a Mercedes Benz and he has been down their for 20 years. Mexico people are the friendly people I've met in a long time. Do you remember 1970 before the USA got all these rules, USA police cars didn't have computers, or ticketing cars for being on wrong size of street. Mexico has no rules. I enjoy the freedom
Phoenician

Scottsdale, AZ

#43 Oct 25, 2008
I know people that live in Rosarito. They are so happy there. It truly is the jewel of Baja. As a mater of fact i will be visiting them this coming weekend. The party starts on thursday the 30th of Oct. and runs till wendsday the 5th of Nov.. The place to be is Renes bar. So for all of you beutifull women come and join in the fun. There will be plenty of food, drink, and entertainment. Just ask for me Clay, from Phoenix Az.

“Green card?”

Tepic, Nayarit, Mexico

#44 Oct 25, 2008
Take care!
Baja Bill

Tijuana, Mexico

#45 Oct 25, 2008
Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, you're right -- IF by the above comment you mean the typical redneck prejudiced white supremecist trailer trash that make stupid and ignorant, uninformed comments such as the one you posted.
You type of "people" should NEVER go anywhere; you'd just find yourself to be disgusting to everyone you come into contact with.
Rosarito Beach
I have been living in Rosarito for over 10 years. Never have had a problem. I agree with Dave that 98% of violent crime is all cartel business.

There is some petty theft and street racing of hot rods. I have met the best people in Mexico.

I have met my future wife here in Rosarito along with her family. The news exaggerates the stories. True there have been some problems, but they are isolated to the drug cartels.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rosarito, Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rosarito Art Fest 2015 on May 23rd and 24th Mar '15 rosaritoartfest 1
Traveling from the US to Rosarito Beach Mexico.... (Feb '10) Feb '15 Baja Ken 28
rene's bar (Dec '09) Feb '15 Baja Ken 14
Las Olas Mar y Sol/ Alejandro Crosswaithe (Feb '11) Feb '15 Estafadas 31
News Leading Ibogaine Drug Treatment Doctor Carlos S... (May '14) Nov '14 Jose 4
looking for retired expat to share condo in ros... (Oct '14) Oct '14 jim brogan 1
Rosarito Art Fest 2014 (Apr '14) Apr '14 rosaritoartfest 1
More from around the web