Census: Many local residents have Mex...

Census: Many local residents have Mexican roots

There are 36 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from May 1, 2011, titled Census: Many local residents have Mexican roots. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Apparently, geography really does matter. Data from the U.S. Census Bureau's American Community Survey clearly indicates why Las Cruces and Do a Ana County are often referred to as "the Borderland." It could also explain, at least in part, why there is increased attention paid to the Mexican holidays of Cinco de Mayo - which falls on Thursday - and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Charlie Sheen

Ashburn, VA

#1 May 2, 2011
... DUH !!! It doesn't take a Census worker to tell you that THIS many Las Cruces residents are of Mexican decent THIS CLOSE to the Mexican border ...
Spell It Out for Me

Albuquerque, NM

#2 May 2, 2011
This is news?
David

Las Cruces, NM

#3 May 2, 2011
I was going to make a comment in a similar vein
lcnative

United States

#4 May 2, 2011
Should have headlined it as Breaking News! Waste of time reading this one.... anyone really surprised by this story?
common sense

Las Cruces, NM

#5 May 2, 2011
How many million dollars of our federal tax dollars did it take to figure this out. 40 miles from the Mexican border and a large percentage of the population have some sort of connection to Mexico. Really. I wonder if it also revealed that there are a lot of people here who speak both English and Spanish.
common sense

Las Cruces, NM

#6 May 2, 2011
Did the census also figure out that a high percentage of people living in the China Town area of San Francisco are Oriental?
hUNKIE BOY

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#7 May 2, 2011
never ask someone from spain if their mexican, they get mad as hell!
Crazy Dave

Las Cruces, NM

#8 May 2, 2011
...and the sky is blue and water is wet.

“Marching to my own drum beat.”

Since: Mar 11

Las Cruces, NM

#9 May 2, 2011
Was there a point to this article?
HDog

Las Cruces, NM

#10 May 2, 2011
NO S**T, SHERLOCK!!

“Get over yourself...”

Since: Jan 08

You're not that important

#11 May 2, 2011
Glad we spent lots of money to determine that so many who live here, in what used to be Mexico, have Mexican roots.
George

Albuquerque, NM

#12 May 2, 2011
hUNKIE BOY wrote:
never ask someone from spain if their mexican, they get mad as hell!
How would you know they are from spain? If you go to northern new mexico they all claim they are from spain (little do they know, or want to know, they came from mexico).
gary carswell

Las Cruces, NM

#13 May 2, 2011
DUHHHHH like anyone couldn't tell that this place is over loaded with mexicans.. don't the see all the poverty here because of them???
cheese

Gallup, NM

#14 May 2, 2011
DUH!
Duh

United States

#15 May 2, 2011
George wrote:
<quoted text> How would you know they are from spain? If you go to northern new mexico they all claim they are from spain (little do they know, or want to know, they came from mexico).
No kidding, I laugh at them all the time. They flew on a plane over to NM and start their own colony. Little that they know the Spaniards that came didn't really bring women with them, they pretty much pillaged and plundered everything when they came.

“Irony, metaphor, film @ eleven”

Since: Feb 08

Old Mesilla/New Las Cruces

#16 May 2, 2011
This article reads like going to north Africa and finding west Africans is breaking news.

There are millions on millions of "Mexicans" here today who's "people" mixed with millions of immigrants from Europe from end to end over the past 450 years. The most native Mexicans were Aztec and other native Indian descents, and viola, here we are today. Some light skinned, some very dark. Thank goodness they are covered with skin.

That's another reason that you don't find a bad beer from Mexico. Tequila and the polka beat music. And awesome corn based, pork, and spicy bean and rice dishes. And many other wonderful influences we enjoy today.
Except for dirty diapers, spent fireworks, and beer bottles left in parking lots and city parks.

The gangster lowrider is still a mystery. lol

Happy Cinco de Mayo
Duh

United States

#17 May 2, 2011
gary carswell wrote:
DUHHHHH like anyone couldn't tell that this place is over loaded with mexicans.. don't the see all the poverty here because of them???
Ok another uneducated person that likes to post non-sense

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#18 May 2, 2011
gary carswell wrote:
ummm. that is news to me there guy. most of the Mexican-Americans I know have a college education and are law abiding citizens. where are you hiding? on 17th street. you really should get out more often.
whatever

Albuquerque, NM

#19 May 2, 2011
Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
No kidding, I laugh at them all the time. They flew on a plane over to NM and start their own colony. Little that they know the Spaniards that came didn't really bring women with them, they pretty much pillaged and plundered everything when they came.
If you have such a problem with the race why don’t you leave? I’m sure your cousins are missing in Tennessee! They are still looking to marry you!
Tyler

Beckley, WV

#20 May 2, 2011
SOB! I thought we celebrated Mexican stuff because we were all Scandinavians.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Puebla, Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Restaurant gets hate messages after customer cl... Jul '16 Cat 74 3
News Letter: Significance of Cinco de Mayo for Mexicans (May '15) May '15 wild child 1
News Editorial: A tribute to Cinco de Mayo (May '15) May '15 Volver volver volver 1
News SL Tennessee to add 300 jobs in $35 million Cli... (Feb '10) Jan '15 jim 6
News Border showdown: Families want U.S. entry (Mar '14) Nov '14 8987799asd 84
News UFO at Popocatepetl volcano returns over severa... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Understatement 1
News Mexico's auto industry: Bane or boon for US Big... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Sirius 5
More from around the web